Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

31 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

Well I mean Sonic would rather team up with a nobody and himself first if modern Sonic is anything to go by.

They could update this with Forces and the CaC lmao

4 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Or make Silver a member of Archie exclusives and make them equally important as him.

To be fair, I hated it when they did that. 

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

That would be like Sonic being a tagalong to Tails. Shadow is way to big a character to be a secondary to a character cast to his sub main stories. I always pegged Sonic, Silver, Shadow and Blaze to be the mutli protagonists of the series with their own branches of plots about them and their own tailored casts.

That's nice. The series doesn't really agree with this notion though, so it's moot. Sonic is the primary protagonist and everyone else gets the spotlight depending on the story. 

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

Not really, you just got to put Shadow in the same role as Sonic but contrast that with everything Sonic wouldn't do. Everything can be a reverse take on Sonic's pattern of stories. Compare and Contrast. Sonic has Adventures, Shadow has Missions or self fulfilling Goals, Sonic loves to run fast while Shadow loves to battle and prove being the ultimate lifeform, Sonic hates waiting for action, Shadow will patiently let the action run into him, Sonic has a wild and brash attitude, Shadow is cold indifference with tranquil aggression, Sonic's friends are goody two shoes and idealists, Shadow's friends are anti heroic wild cards and realistic about their situations. etc. 

Yea, and this goes right back into what I said about Shadow literally eclipsing everyone else in the plot. I mean, that's the primary reason everyone got tired of him to begin with, why do you want to go back to that?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Maybe Rouge had a rough past herself? I mean she's only 18, yet she's already working for a government facility. 

Well.. there's the problem of giving a SEGA character a backstory

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

23 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I wonder if we're gonna have another news drought...

Not sure if we should expect more news for the rest of the month at least.

1 minute ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I kind of expect this whole year to be kind of that besides like possible movie and comic news

I figure Rouge ended up with GUN for similar reason as in Sonic X. They arrest her for stealing stuff, but she cuts a deal with them to have the charges cleared. Simple enough.

34 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Eh, probably. Aside from solicits for the issues past #4 (though I'm not sure how they'll handle that what with the first four issues in one month thing...), I assume we'll get preview pages much later on. I think with most comics those come out a week or so before the issue is released? We might get WIP pages and other teasers before that though.

As for a Sonic news drought in general, I mean...if they have nothing to talk about, they have nothing to talk about. ?

• Thumbs Up 6

8 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Do you think Flynn will use unused concepts of Archie like Sonic and Honey being directors of a TV show? And Eggman stepping in because he disaggrees for creative reasons?

255?cb=20161223052110

Honey looks a bit dompy there. And I literally just realized this was also a reference to Boom.

Also, Cream Woman! 

8 hours ago, Korke said:

I wonder if Tangle will be a main character, considering all the reveal business, and will tag along with Sonic just like the FF's did.

That would be a really ironic outcome.

7 hours ago, SaberX said:

Maybe she gonna end like a Sally substitute after all. That would be ironic.

Anyway, I'm guessing she might be a different take from avatar, but instead being the one to re-introduce main characters by knowing all them without actually have meet them.

7 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I hope tangle isn't just sally. 

I hope Tangle isn't "Sally except 20% cooler."

18 minutes ago, Pengi said:

Who is finimun?

An artist. They created those chibi icons of like a million different characters from a while back.

6 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Silver is the fundamental hero of the future timeline side of the series, his cast includes just Blaze and was the sole focus of the future timeline of the main setting, many futuristic add ons to what ever plot he's in since Mephiles and Apocalyptic plot is retconed. Possibly it's either the main hedgehogs or any threat manipulating the timeline as main antagonists. Also serves as one of Sonic's rivals and opponents.

Blaze is the fundamental hero of alter reality role of sonic the hedgehog side of the series, her cast extends to Silvers by proxy, Cream and Marine serve as sidekicks due to having natural development around her social issues and stead fast responsibilities, her plots focus on her own dimension and possible plots on being queen. Eggman Nega is the main established nemesis. Serves as one of Sonic's main allies.

Eggman Nega was both Blaze and Silver's enemy for a while before he got stuck in the Ifrit's dimension. His influence is presumably felt in Blaze's dimension through any remaining pirates and other inventions that may be left over, ala Pirate Plunder Panic.

6 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Not really, you just got to put Shadow in the same role as Sonic but contrast that with everything Sonic wouldn't do. Everything can be a reverse take on Sonic's pattern of stories. Compare and Contrast. Sonic has Adventures, Shadow has Missions or self fulfilling Goals, Sonic loves to run fast while Shadow loves to battle and prove being the ultimate lifeform, Sonic hates waiting for action, Shadow will patiently let the action run into him, Sonic has a wild and brash attitude, Shadow is cold indifference with tranquil aggression, Sonic's friends are goody two shoes and idealists, Shadow's friends are anti heroic wild cards and realistic about their situations. etc. 

More or less.

6 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

To be fair, I hated it when they did that. 

What was this now?

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

I figure Rouge ended up with GUN for similar reason as in Sonic X. They arrest her for stealing stuff, but she cuts a deal with them to have the charges cleared. Simple enough.

Yeah, I kinda figure all of Team Dark basically do their own thing offscreen when GUN doesn't contact them on speed dial.

Which could ironically mean Shadow is the more reliable of the three.

14 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

An artist. They created those chibi icons of like a million different characters from a while back.

I don't get it. What makes the art official?

I think it's hard to have a character that is NOT similar with ANYONE since the major (and/or interesting) traits are already done via game character and Archie. For now Tangle seems to be more of a rough have-fun tomboy type, basically girl Sonic, while Sally was a more serious perfect princess leader type. Unless Ian f up, I think it's going to be ok.

I do hope Tangle is more in the Tails/Knuckles/Amy-tier, AKA one of the sidekick/follows of Sonic rather than a "main leader character" who Sonic & co have to follow (that's how I felt about Sonic and the FF).

• Thumbs Up 1

Sally was primarily meant to be a philosophical foil to Sonic. The Princess title and her role as the Leader of the Knothole Freedom Fighters kinda furthers that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Sonic was Chaos, Sally was Control? I always found that to be an interesting duality in the comics and worth expanding on, since it wasn't the exact same as "good vs. evil". It's also what annoys me about Light and Dark gaia, since they're so obviously portrayed as the same God and Devil as every other generic fantasy world origin story. Having Light Gaia be the personification of order and Dark Gaia of freedom, for better or worse, would be a way more interesting way to present things, especially since Sonic is himself an embodiment of freedom, fighting against Eggman, who seeks to enslave and control everyone. The fact that the Master Emerald is able to control the Chaos Emeralds makes me want to believe this sort of dynamic is deliberate, but I also know that the games are not and have never been clever enough to pull something like that off.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Pengi said:

I don't get it. What makes the art official?

Sorry about that. That was a typo

I hope Big appears, he is very funny (and also has great Japanese-inspired character design).

__cb___our_big_totoro__by_silveromi-d5qo

I also wanna see Knuckles's covers! I think we'll have to wait a bit for them because the issue has 2 new characters other than Tangle. It's smart to just show Tangle's cover, and after that they show Rough and Tumble's cover.

• Thumbs Up 4

21 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Do you think Flynn will use unused concepts of Archie like Sonic and Honey being directors of a TV show? And Eggman stepping in because he disaggrees for creative reasons?

255?cb=20161223052110

I'm 110% hoping it gets reused. Not only to potentially introduce Honey to the IDW but...I need Sonic Power Rangers to be a thing. I don't ask for much just give me this.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 2

I'm sorry if this is a dumb questiom, but who are Rough and Tumble? Are they brand new characters in this universe? I feel like I know of them... but not really? xD;

4 minutes ago, Tikikata said:

I'm sorry if this is a dumb questiom, but who are Rough and Tumble? Are they brand new characters in this universe? I feel like I know of them... but not really? xD;

I'd assume so, given this is the first time we've heard of characters named as such in this or any Sonic universe.

IDW will spill the beans soon enough.

• Thumbs Up 2