Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

I'd assume so, given this is the first time we've heard of characters named as such in this or any Sonic universe.

IDW will spill the beans soon enough.

The excitement is so real, haha. Thanks for the reply! I hope they look cool (though with Tangle's mostly positive first look, I'm sure they will).

19 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

That's nice. The series doesn't really agree with this notion though, so it's moot. Sonic is the primary protagonist and everyone else gets the spotlight depending on the story. 

Yea, and this goes right back into what I said about Shadow literally eclipsing everyone else in the plot. I mean, that's the primary reason everyone got tired of him to begin with, why do you want to go back to that?

How is it eclipsing anyone, hes meant to be like Sonic since his creation story wise and ability wise. It's no different than making comic knuckles the secondary equal hero role to Sonic. Its just Shadow, who pretty much can have his own book apart from Sonic since hes more developed than most main cast members and side characters. No one would get tired of of him as a regular if they used him in ways the games failed and bring out his potential, people like you think things about something that makes no sense when its not the truth but it's the really the problem that made shadow a heated character to begin with, no one wants to risk with him striving to get him right.

27 minutes ago, Tikikata said:

I'm sorry if this is a dumb questiom, but who are Rough and Tumble? Are they brand new characters in this universe? I feel like I know of them... but not really? xD;

New villains the Fighting Buddies will be throwing down with in Issue 3.

Their names makes me think they may have some connection to Tangle.

• Thumbs Up 3

I must say it loud,

For me it's not about Sonic himself, but about Sonic's world. That's why I was also very interested in the stories of Amy, Knuckles, E-102, Tails, Shadow in the Adventure games as well as their interactions, their emotions, what makes them human and relatable to us, but after they concentrated on Sonic only, the series lost its charm that the Adventure series has.

• Thumbs Up 3

50 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

New villains the Fighting Buddies will be throwing down with in Issue 3.

Their names makes me think they may have some connection to Tangle.

That's what I'm thinking, too. I really like their names.

50 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

How is it eclipsing anyone, hes meant to be like Sonic since his creation story wise and ability wise. It's no different than making comic knuckles the secondary equal hero role to Sonic. Its just Shadow, who pretty much can have his own book apart from Sonic since hes more developed than most main cast members and side characters. No one would get tired of of him as a regular if they used him in ways the games failed and bring out his potential, people like you think things about something that makes no sense when its not the truth but it's the really the problem that made shadow a heated character to begin with, no one wants to risk with him striving to get him right.

Just because he's meant to be a foil to Sonic doesn't mean he suddenly needs top billing alongside him. And the comics ran into the same issue with Knuckles, his story eventually overtook the entire comic and he was arguably more of the main character than Sonic. Even if you did use Shadow well, people would eventually get tired of him because the series has too large a cast of characters with interesting personalities to keep them all in a constant supporting role while Sonic & Shadow just do...everything. That's extremely boring, and it's happening right now with everything being focused on Sonic & Tails. None of the other characters get anything to do. Rather than have set standard of main characters, just shuffle who's in the spotlight at any given time so that everybody at least gets some screentime.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Just because he's meant to be a foil to Sonic doesn't mean he suddenly needs top billing alongside him. And the comics ran into the same issue with Knuckles, his story eventually overtook the entire comic and he was arguably more of the main character than Sonic. Even if you did use Shadow well, people would eventually get tired of him because the series has too large a cast of characters with interesting personalities to keep them all in a constant supporting role while Sonic & Shadow just do...everything. That's extremely boring, and it's happening right now with everything being focused on Sonic & Tails. None of the other characters get anything to do. Rather than have set standard of main characters, just shuffle who's in the spotlight at any given time so that everybody at least gets some screentime.

I feel like if you shuffle people around, even sonic, things should be ok. 

I think that any character no matter who it is, can have their own book and that's ok. The " everyone will get tired of it " line can work for everything ever. The key is when you give someone else their own book, you keep their shit to their book and you leave that their unless you want to do an occasional crossover thing. But you can totally have characters have their own books and its fine, normal comic books have been doing it for years. Decades....almost a century. 

So, what stories would you like to see in the new comic? Something more about the game characters that expands them and develops them? And how would you explore Tangle in ways that can't be done with game characters? Would you like more original plots?

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Blaze is the character you could go with if you wanted to make a spinoff book since her whole world is basically a blank slate that any writer would want to mess around with. It'd also be easy to separate what's going on from the main book.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

I think Blaze is the character you could go with if you wanted to make a spinoff book since her whole world is basically a blank slate that any writer would want to mess around with. It'd also be easy to separate what's going on from the main book.

Agreed. It could be nice to see more of Blaze's childhood since most of it was told to us; plus, Marine can get more character development and we could get a better Sol-Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I like about Blaze is her world is a whole other dimension with characters different than Sonic.

Not generic dimensions with evil or weird counterparts to the main characters.

• Thumbs Up 4

42 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

So, what stories would you like to see in the new comic? Something more about the game characters that expands them and develops them? And how would you explore Tangle in ways that can't be done with game characters? Would you like more original plots?

I'm curious to see anything about the Sol dimension, Blaze's world is a unexplored as a whole, and i hope to see more stories focusing on it.

EDIT: Wow, the first 4 replies are unanimously about Blaze...

Spoiler
Pxlblz

Blaze: Thanks everyone, I shall not disappoint you!!     img_source

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

I feel like if you shuffle people around, even sonic, things should be ok. 

I think that any character no matter who it is, can have their own book and that's ok. The " everyone will get tired of it " line can work for everything ever. The key is when you give someone else their own book, you keep their shit to their book and you leave that their unless you want to do an occasional crossover thing. But you can totally have characters have their own books and its fine, normal comic books have been doing it for years. Decades....almost a century. 

Well, you can't really shuffle Sonic. He's usually the one at the center of what's going on, so he is kind of a key component.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone else think that Tangle is from the Sol Dimension, as the Sol equivalent to Tails/Knuckles?

• Nice Smile 1

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

Does anyone else think that Tangle is from the Sol Dimension, as the Sol equivalent to Tails/Knuckles?

I'm speculating about the latter choice as well.

• Nice Smile 1

Unless we're going to be seeing a hell of a lot more of Blaze's dimension introducing a new character from there seems like a sketchy choice.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

Unless we're going to be seeing a hell of a lot more of Blaze's dimension introducing a new character from there seems like a sketchy choice.

Well, it'd be interesting if they DID show a bit more of the Sol Dimension, if SEGA allows, of course.

19 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Well, you can't really shuffle Sonic. He's usually the one at the center of what's going on, so he is kind of a key component.

I think you can

Sonic Universe Was the better book since its conception and he's not it a lot of the time. 

Sonic universe is the reason I think other characters can hold their own books

I would read an Amy and team rose book, and a shadow book monthly

Ian has always put it on record that Shadow and team Dark would be the most likely to get a separate book. I don't think that's changed now. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Fist Bump 1

12 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Creating new shit , and restricting the use of their background to make story telling hard is the sega MO

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

Ian has always put it on record that Shadow and team Dark would be the most likely to get a separate book. I don't think that's changed now. 

I still want that amy book though 

Comic book amy showed that at least in comic book, she is...valuable to say the least. She's like sonic, but an interesting character

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure how long Ian Flynn will be writing these books. He is going to be very busy with Sonic and all of the books at Archie he is writing. It's very possible he might just be helping the series get off the ground and then leave after a while. Unless Its normal for comic book authors to write these many books but I wouldn't know. I know that he is been writing Sonic comic books for a while and I don't know how much longer he wants to do this. Just speculating though.

14 minutes ago, UmbraTheHedgehog said:

I'm not sure how long Ian Flynn will be writing these books. He is going to be very busy with Sonic and all of the books at Archie he is writing. It's very possible he might just be helping the series get off the ground and then leave after a while. Unless Its normal for comic book authors to write these many books but I wouldn't know. I know that he is been writing Sonic comic books for a while and I don't know how much longer he wants to do this. Just speculating though.

Robert Kirkman, the author of The Walking Dead, also wrote other comic books alogside Walking Dead (like Invincible, Outcast), and they were praised.

And Flynn was happy on Bumblekast, he said "I got my carreer back!".

4 minutes ago, UmbraTheHedgehog said:

1. It's been confirmed that he's the head (and most likely only, not counting guest writers or separate book writers) writer for this comic. I doubt he'd be leaving.
2. Despite his busy-ness, he enjoys doing this, as both a writer and a fan. He said one time that the only way that he's leaving the franchise is if SEGA pries it out of his cold, dead hands.

• Promotion 1

4 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

1. It's been confirmed that he's the head (and most likely only) writer for this comic. I doubt he'd be leaving.
2. Despite his busy-ness, he enjoys doing this, as both a writer and a fan. He said one time that the only way that he's leaving the franchise is if SEGA pries it out of his cold, dead hands.

6 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Robert Kirkman, the author of The Walking Dead, also wrote other comic books alogside Walking Dead (like Invincible, Outcast), and they were praised.

And Flynn was happy on Bumblekast, he said "I got my carreer back!"

Well I'm glad he is passionate about Sonic. Makes me confidant in him being the writer. If he really is going to continue writing Sonic for a long time then I certainly admire his commitment, I certainly wouldn't want to write that many books. It sounds very overwhelming. Either way I know he has a long history with these books.