Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

3 minutes ago, UmbraTheHedgehog said:

Well I'm glad he is passionate about Sonic. Makes me confidant in him being the writer. If he really is going to continue writing Sonic for a long time then I certainly admire his commitment, I certainly wouldn't want to write that many books. It sounds very overwhelming. Either way I know he has a long history with these books.

Plus, he seems well of aware of his writings faults, so there's that.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Plus, he seems well of aware of his writings faults, so there's that.

That's the big one. 

I'm so glad. There are big folks at marvel and DC who either know or don't care or are so up their own rear end they don't even think how they write might have issues. 

One of those peoples names rhymes with Smyan Smichle Smendis

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

14 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

That's the big one. 

I'm so glad. There are big folks at marvel and DC who either know or don't care or are so up their own rear end they don't even think how they write might have issues. 

One of those peoples names rhymes with Smyan Smichle Smendis

To be fair, Sonic had that issue too, and one of those rhymed with Smen Smenders.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

Ian was writing four different video game comics at one point (Sonic, Sonic Universe, Mega Man and Sonic Boom), and even at that time he was after more books to write. Right now he has the same workload (Sonic, Cosmo, Mighty Crusaders and ARMS), so he should be fine. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, if there is gonna be another spin-off, it's definitely Shadow and the Agents of G.U.N. but my favorite option is still something like Universe with rotations of characters.

Tangle being from the SOL Dimension... it's possible, I thought of that, or at least that Tangle and Blaze have some connection since they are in the same issue, but if this is the case, I do hope she stays in Sonic's world, I don't want to see her disappear for 3 years, neither I want that for Blaze though.

I would explore Tangle with her growth, perhaps starting from a punch first, ask questions later person, and then develop her, something with her family, but without exaggerating, and obviously her own nemesis. I would also like for the comic exclusive characters to have a past with some of the main characters, or explore their connections, for example something I liked was how Infinite was connected to Shadow.

I would also explore the main characters, for example how Knuckles feels about being the last of his kind, something that was gonna happen after Shattered in SU, more of Shadow being torn between good and bad (I don't care if it gets old, I want to see him acting as an anti-hero, that's how I prefer him), if there have to be family figures... I'd choose to have some adopted parents for Tails, but I believe they aren't necessary for any game character, they can take care of themselves just fine, although there should be some wise person to assist them. I would like to see more interactions, and variety among characters. And better writing for those who got a crappy treatment in the games, like the Deadly Six. Some arcs in space with the Wisps would be nice too, we haven't had any of them during the reboot, aside from Shadow Fall, but that had little to do with the Colors setting; and I wouldn't mind seeing more of the Multiverse.

Just now, Jack of Tangles said:

I wouldn't mind seeing more of the Multiverse.

Didn't Penders claim ownership on the idea of a Sonic Multiverse? They could probably go the WU route and do a Sega and Capcom multiverse.

4 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Didn't Penders claim ownership on the idea of a Sonic Multiverse? They could probably go the WU route and do a Sega and Capcom multiverse.

I don't think he claimed the idea, but he might think he does and throw a hissy fit. He just owns the characters TO the multiverse (with a couple of exceptions.)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

10 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

That seems to general for that to even be defensible in court. 

That's like copyright calming the concept of a trilogy 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

10 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Doesn't matter if he thinks he does, Blaze and (now) Classic Sonic are things. SEGA's got it's own Sonic multiverse

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, Razule said:

Doesn't matter if he thinks he does, Blaze and (now) Classic Sonic are things. SEGA's got it's own Sonic multiverse

So are the Storybooks and Maginary World. 

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I don't think so, they only got rid of the multiverse because, well...all of them were conceived pre-Flynn (as was the whole Zone Cops thing). Err, at least, I don't remember him introducing any additional universes, just expanding on ones that were already there.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, Razule said:

Way too early to guess, but what's everyone's bets how long the comic will last?

Not sure if it’ll be long-running like Archie but it’ll definitely survive for a very long time since IDW is actually competent.

11 minutes ago, Razule said:

Way too early to guess, but what's everyone's bets how long the comic will last?

Not sure if it’ll be long-running like Archie but it’ll definitely survive for a very long time since IDW is actually competent.

• Nice Smile 1

21 minutes ago, Razule said:

I hope it lasts as long as it needs to, and as long as there are good stories to tell. One thing I found frustrating about Archie's rendition was that it was really long, and as someone who had to skip around with the series during its run, some things didn't quote make sense. I'm almost caught up to where the Post-Genesis Wave canon starts, but woo boy, it's a ride. IDW feels like it'll be more familiar to fans of the games as well as the comics, so that's a good start.

*looks at mlp and some other long running series like transformers*....im sure it CAN be around a long time if they so wish it

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

For some reason, IDW game adaptations don't last that long. But since this is more of a focus of IDW, I can see it lasting for at least a few years, if not more.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Celestia said:

I don't think so, they only got rid of the multiverse because, well...all of them were conceived pre-Flynn (as was the whole Zone Cops thing). Err, at least, I don't remember him introducing any additional universes, just expanding on ones that were already there.

That ended up being convenient for me as far as the Zone Cops thing went. I remember getting into the books at around 193 onwards and when Sonic took Evil Green Sonic to prison in multiverse land I was confused as hell. Even nowadays I still get intimidated whenever I see that stuff show up again. Even in fan content. It's so over my head and at the same time it's not something I ever cared enough about to read up on. 

That said, I'm willing to see how Ian can make sense of traveling between Blaze's universe with this. I'm still of the opinion that it makes more sense that she wasn't in Forces (and Generations really) than if she was. I'll continue to believe that until I get an explanation that satisfies me. 

1 hour ago, Razule said:

At least five years. At most I think it could last as long as Fleetway. Or being optimistic, Archie. 

• Nice Smile 1

11 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

At least five years. At most I think it could last as long as Fleetway. Or being optimistic, Archie. 

My thoughts exactly.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'll continue to believe that until I get an explanation that satisfies me. 

The Resistance was minus both Sonic and Shadow for months and was on the brink of loosing everything to the Eggman Empire. They were stretched so thin that they were recruiting and weaponizing civilians. I personally find it insultingly impossible to beleive that not a single one of them went out of their way to recruit Burning Blaze to help turn things around. What more of an explanation do you need? 

On this topic tho, Ian is usually pretty good about cleaning this kind of mess up. As far as the comic is concerned, a simple panel explaining how the Phantom Ruby messed up cross-dimensional travel, or how she was dealing with a mess of her own and its problem solved.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

The Resistance was minus both Sonic and Shadow for months and was on the brink of loosing everything to the Eggman Empire. They were stretched so thin that they were recruiting and weaponizing civilians. I personally find it insultingly impossible to beleive that not a single one of them went out of their way to recruit Burning Blaze to help turn things around. What more of an explanation do you need? 

I know I've had this conversation before, probably happened with you since I recognize these points being brought up before in almost the exact same wording too and mentioning the same things.

So I'll keep the answer brief; everything I said in that post above there didn't mention anything about whether or not the intent of the heroes to recruit Blaze was there. What I want is an explanation as to why it's possible for her to be there. The game wasn't interested in giving one and if it's not interested in having shit make sense then I prefer it not shove concepts into the game without merit until it gets off it's lazy ass and provides one. 

That's all I'll say about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope it'lle be 200 issues or more!

From all the hype that's being going on, 1000 members on the facebook group in 2 days, now almost 3000. And the Tangle fan arts the same day the character is revealed, plus exposure from EW and IGN, + Flynn's dedication.

It's got to be long running!

I'll be using comixology, very easy way to buy digital issues, no matter what country.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

The Resistance was minus both Goku and Vegeta for months and was on the brink of loosing everything to the Eggman Empire. They were stretched so thin that they were recruiting and weaponizing civilians. I personally find it insultingly impossible to beleive that not a single one of them went out of their way to recruit Burning Blaze to help turn things around. What more of an explanation do you need? 

On this topic tho, Ian is usually pretty good about cleaning this kind of mess up. As far as the comic is concerned, a simple panel explaining how the Phantom Ruby messed up cross-dimensional travel, or how she was dealing with a mess of her own and its problem solved.

Fixed it... even these days, the Sonic series still finds ways to "borrow" from Dragon Ball.

10 hours ago, Razule said:

So we have:

Sonic's World

Blaze's World

Classic's World

Other possible SEGA universes

This is already something, I wouldn't mind some kind of evil counterpart since I loved Scourge, not necessarily a dimensional counterpart though.

As for how long the book will last.. I HOPE that it doesn't get cancelled before Ian can use his ideas, develop the concepts and characters, and do original plots. Because the way the reboot was presented, was amazing, all the characters introduced, world-building, sub-plots, etc. and then before he could do anything interesting with it, it was all gone :/

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

So we have:

Sonic's World

Blaze's World

Classic's World

Other possible SEGA universes

This is already something, I wouldn't mind some kind of evil counterpart since I loved Scourge, not necessarily a dimensional counterpart though.

As for how long the book will last.. I HOPE that it doesn't get cancelled before Ian can use his ideas, develop the concepts and characters, and do original plots. Because the way the reboot was presented, was amazing, all the characters introduced, world-building, sub-plots, etc. and then before he could do anything interesting with it, it was all gone :/

Other worlds have lots of possibilities, but Classic's World provides no development, has less characters and opportunities. I prefered when it was considered the "Young Days of Sonic" to make the universe cohesive instead of another dimension.

• Thumbs Up 1