IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

18 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

So we have:

Sonic's World

Blaze's World

Classic's World

Other possible SEGA universes

This is already something, I wouldn't mind some kind of evil counterpart since I loved Scourge, not necessarily a dimensional counterpart though.

As for how long the book will last.. I HOPE that it doesn't get cancelled before Ian can use his ideas, develop the concepts and characters, and do original plots. Because the way the reboot was presented, was amazing, all the characters introduced, world-building, sub-plots, etc. and then before he could do anything interesting with it, it was all gone :/

Bonus you also have space, even if they don't wanna use wisps , shadow can still fight is weird ass alien kin

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Bonus you also have space, even if they don't wanna use wisps , shadow can still fight is weird ass alien kin

Yeah, I loved adventures in space, like some characters who end up in space together, they get closer together and form bonds, they get through shit together. (but it got to be more than 3 characters, because we did not see so much development or bonding between Sonic and Tails in Colors, but not more than 8 characters to not overcrowd and keep the adventure intimate.)

Best Example: Sonic Adventure 2

hqdefault.jpg

(Very poetic scene between Amy and Shadow)

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

(The characters are in a remote location VERY far from home and must cooperate)

10 hours ago, Razule said:

Way too early to guess, but what's everyone's bets how long the comic will last?

It could go on as long as any of IDW's other books. But like their other books I'd sincerely keep expectations of the continuity being just this single volume low. They like to Relaunch a lot. Honestly I think TMNT and MLP are like their only books that haven't stopped and reset numbering after a few years.  

• Nice Smile 1

Do you think that Flynn will use the "one world" with humans and animals, or "two worlds" like Iizuka thinks?

I'd prefer one world.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Why the need of talking about Adventure 2 plot again? If anything, I prefer them to dont bring this thing ever again and leave the comics more open to more new stories and character development.

That is if there WILL be new stories and not just "Eggman stole the emeralds, let's use the power of teamwork!" stuff. 

Also, I hope that Knuckles will have some character development. Sure, the Penders' recolors are no longer around to provide it, but at least give him SOMETHING, and don't just leave him as a dumb jock like in Megadrive/Worlds Collide.

5 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Why the need of talking about Adventure 2 plot again? If anything, I prefer them to dont bring this thing ever again and leave the comics more open to more new stories and character development.

No one saying to retell the events of SA2, I think what was trying to be said is to use space as way to tell new stories. So not everything has to be contained on Earth, SA2 was just used as an example of what could be if they went that route.

• Thumbs Up 6

17 minutes ago, SaberX said:

You read my mind. Although, we had some kind of development with Knuckles in Archie not long ago. The one he teams up with Amy, which is kinda nice btw. I hope things like that happens more often in the future.

I'm up to that arc yet, but Amy's words to him were really sweet even though I'm mixed on the idea of the arc.

23 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Just because he's meant to be a foil to Sonic doesn't mean he suddenly needs top billing alongside him. And the comics ran into the same issue with Knuckles, his story eventually overtook the entire comic and he was arguably more of the main character than Sonic. Even if you did use Shadow well, people would eventually get tired of him because the series has too large a cast of characters with interesting personalities to keep them all in a constant supporting role while Sonic & Shadow just do...everything. That's extremely boring, and it's happening right now with everything being focused on Sonic & Tails. None of the other characters get anything to do. Rather than have set standard of main characters, just shuffle who's in the spotlight at any given time so that everybody at least gets some screentime.

Why does that matter if he gets top billing with sonic? He would get top billing because hes extremely popular like Sonic is and sega establishes him with deeper story elements out of any character in the series ever since his debut. I doubt any fan of any character reaches shadows presence with the fans, good or bad since his debut, hes helped build key concepts in the sonic cannon like Knuckles did in his debut. The franchise in some media uses his chaos control even without him. He has more to offer than silver or Amy do because he was established that way to begin with. Now hes basically blank like Knuckles but Knuckles was never as plot deep built as shadow in his debut.

Shadow doesn'r deserve the lesser of his potential usage in story focus at the expense of other characters with lesser story elements.

19 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

1. It's been confirmed that he's the head (and most likely only, not counting guest writers or separate book writers) writer for this comic. I doubt he'd be leaving.
2. Despite his busy-ness, he enjoys doing this, as both a writer and a fan. He said one time that the only way that he's leaving the franchise is if SEGA pries it out of his cold, dead hands.

He can' stay on this book forever, he should have alternate authors to write different storylines of Sonic or other characters.

Hey, I just noticed something...
According to the schedule, Tyson Hesse will be showing up at SXSW.
Since he's working on IDW, maybe we'll see some comic news.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Hey, I just noticed something...
According to the schedule, Tyson Hesse will be showing up at SXSW.
Since he's working on IDW, maybe we'll see some comic news.

And some of his covers :D

3 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

He can' stay on this book forever, he should have alternate authors to write different storylines of Sonic or other characters.

There can be other writers for side stories, like Aleah Baker and Evan Stanley. But it shouldnt be like old Archie where each writer was clashing for his vision even if there will be contradictions.

15 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm up to that arc yet, but Amy's words to him were really sweet even though I'm mixed on the idea of the arc.

Its good writing. Because its writing where you don't have to agree with the character for the character to be well written, in character, and doing something that works for the plot. Like on a basic level, shadow's a billion percent right. Yo knuckles my guy you guarding one of the most powerful objects on the planet. This friendship " I'm doing my best shit " ain't gonna cut it. Put that shit in a vault somewhere if you can't keep it safe you are putting literal lives in danger my guy. Like if shadow is I dunno , having a stomach virus one day and the black arms come down and nab the master emerald that's the end of the world. LIke there are flaws with his entire...everything he's doing with his life. 

ALL that said. 

Its  a nice scene that works for his character. 

10 hours ago, Jack of Tangles said:

So we have:

Sonic's World

Blaze's World

Classic's World

Other possible SEGA universes

This is already something, I wouldn't mind some kind of evil counterpart since I loved Scourge, not necessarily a dimensional counterpart though.

As for how long the book will last.. I HOPE that it doesn't get cancelled before Ian can use his ideas, develop the concepts and characters, and do original plots. Because the way the reboot was presented, was amazing, all the characters introduced, world-building, sub-plots, etc. and then before he could do anything interesting with it, it was all gone :/

You’ve forgotten the Maginary World and Storybooks exist as well. And the Special Zone.

52 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

You’ve forgotten the Maginary World and Storybooks exist as well. And the Special Zone.

On a side note, I hope they can make new storybooks.

• Nice Smile 1

12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Do you think Professor Pickle will appear too? I'd love to see Spagonia in the comic.

Depends on if his knowledge of Gaia stuff is useful or if a story involving either Spagonia or tangentally scientists in general comes up. Cause otherwise, it's very unlikely.

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Depends on if his knowledge of Gaia stuff is useful or if a story involving either Spagonia or tangentally scientists in general comes up. Cause otherwise, it's very unlikely.

If he has knowledge about the phantom ruby? :D

8 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

If he has knowledge about the phantom ruby? :D

Considering the Phantom Ruby fell from outer space...in another dimension, I doubt it. Though I suppose you could have him study the real one, if it's still available at least.

• Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Why does that matter if he gets top billing with sonic? He would get top billing because hes extremely popular like Sonic is and sega establishes him with deeper story elements out of any character in the series ever since his debut.

To be honest, his story isn't any deeper than Knuckles', Blaze's, the Babylon Rouges', Silver's, the Storybook characters, or Eggman Nega.

In some cases, it's too complicated.

I doubt any fan of any character reaches shadows presence with the fans

That's debatable, since:

1. He didn't really help with the "Sonic has too many friends" complaint

2. His own game didn't really help during the Dark Age

3. like I've said before, the games have been too focused on Sonic, Tails, and Eggman. I wouldn't be surprised that the number of fans that want to see other characters are higher than they've been in the past.

hes helped build key concepts in the sonic cannon like Knuckles did in his debut.

Such as?

The franchise in some media uses his chaos control even without him.

Probably because it's not exclusive to him.

It's kind of like the Boost at this point.

He has more to offer than silver or Amy do because he was established that way to begin with.

Not necessarily.

The fact that IDW decided to go with a Forces Aftermath story and introduce the Classic Era characters first before introducing someone like Blaze, who debuted in the Modern Era, plus a brand new character, is interesting because they're bringing characters in one at time to give each of them some spotlight next to Sonic.

Plus there are stories that can be told with Amy or Silver without Shadow. We haven't seen a story where Amy went solo (besides Sonic Adventure or Advance). We still don't know if Silver's future is always changing or if it has a Good variant.

It's not like "Shattered" was 100 times better because Shadow was there.

5 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Shadow doesn'r deserve the lesser of his potential usage in story focus at the expense of other characters with lesser story elements.

Everyone that is not Sonic, Tails, or Eggman deserves equal slice of the spotlight pie.

None of them has a legitimate reason to get a bigger slice.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 2
  • Nice Smile 1

No offense to any Shadow fans, but I think he's gotten enough focus for what he's worth, at least in the comics. I mean he was practically the star of not 1 but 3 Universe arcs with Rouge and Omega written more as tagalong characters. I understand he's a fan favorite, but I think it could be fair to focus more on other characters such as Cream, Blaze, Rouge, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

No offense to any Shadow fans, but I think he's gotten enough focus for what he's worth, at least in the comics. I mean he was practically the star of not 1 but 3 Universe arcs with Rouge and Omega written more as tagalong characters. I understand he's a fan favorite, but I think it could be fair to focus more on other characters such as Cream, Blaze, Rouge, etc.

You mean post reboot? Aside from Shadow Fall, most of them were about Knuckles, he's the real star of Universe. Aside from that, he was pretty much absent in the main book, he has been for a long time, before the reboot he didn't appear since around issue 195, until Worlds Collide, I think, then in the reboot he only made cameos, Knuckles was also underused in the main book before the reboot happened. Universe started with a Shadow arc, but still, he appeared in M30L as a villain, then I don't think he showed up again in a big role until Treasure Team Tango. Point is: there wasn't much Shadow in the comic. In IDW I think he will make a cameo in the first issue since he is in the resistance, then he might get focus in a later arc.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

5 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

You mean post reboot? Aside from Shadow Fall, most of them were about Knuckles, he's the real star of Universe. Aside from that, he was pretty much absent in the main book, he has been for a long time, before the reboot he didn't appear since around issue 195, until Worlds Collide, I think, then in the reboot he only made cameos, Knuckles was also underused in the main book before the reboot happened. Universe started with a Shadow arc, but still, he appeared in M30L as a villain, then I don't think he showed up again in a big role until Treasure Team Tango. Point is: there wasn't much Shadow in the comic. In IDW I think he will make a cameo in the first issue since he is in the resistance, then he might get focus in a later arc.

Oh... okay, my bad you guys. 

54 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

To be honest, his story isn't any deeper than Knuckles', Blaze's, the Babylon Rouges', Silver's, the Storybook characters, or Eggman Nega.

In some cases, it's too complicated.

Eh, to be fair, Silver is actually pretty simplistic in how he's actually used. Hence why I see less of an issue when writing a story that includes him compared to one with Blaze or as of late Shadow.

Same goes for the Rogues, who despite the relatively convoluted origin of being descendants of Bird Genies from Outer Space(MEAN, GREEN, BAAAD!), primarily exist as less dire and more situational rivals for Team Sonic. That also means they're less applicable than Silver, but that's another matter entirely. 

But even excluding them(and depending on how he's used, Knuckles), I agree that Shadow's story is a mite over-complicated in comparison to everyone else.

54 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

It's not like "Shattered" was 100 times better because Shadow was there.

None of them has a legitimate reason to get a bigger slice.

In fact, he didn't really need to be in that story anyway.

Agreed.

4 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

You mean post reboot? Aside from Shadow Fall, most of them were about Knuckles, he's the real star of Universe.

As it was originally intended to be, ironically/tragically enough.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Considering that Mazuri, Spagonia, Empire City, Shamar, and Apotos didn’t have local heroes introduced in Archie, will they have their teams introduced here (if the comic goes with Two Worlds, maybe they could be human!) as Sonic fights off Eggman’s remnants?

• Nice Smile 1