Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I don't know if he will only focus on a mobian world, or refer to a parallel human world.

20 minutes ago, The KKM said:

I can get not liking it, but the setup of the two worlds is really not confusing or inconsistent. Hell, Sonic X has taught you how it works for over a decade now, just the games' version has it be easier to go between worlds. There's a human world, and a cartoon animals world. It's not timelines, it's different planets/dimensions, just like Blaze's world.

I think this makes sense. I can like better the idea of a Mobian Sonic world, a Human World, Blaze's world, the Wisps's world, the Deadly Six's world, the Babylonians's world (we didnt see much of it, just the babylon garden)...

But then again, how do you explain Amy renting an appartment in Station Square, and Tails and Big having their house in mystic ruins? Or Rouge being a spy for GUN? Or that Angel Island fell near mystic ruins when Chaos destroyed it? And that little girl that says to Sonic "You saved the world before against that evil Dr Robotnik" in SA1? And that the entire echidna civilization was living in mystic ruins, which is in the human world?...

• Thumbs Up 2

56 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

It's a book centered around Sonic (unlike archie post-sgw where it's more focused on the extended cast),

So, the other characters may end up just being more side characters this time around. 

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

So, the other characters may end up just being more side characters this time around. 

But it's not gonna be so isolated as the recent games (like Sonic Colors). I believe Flynn will make great use of the cast.

+3 new characters as of now.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

But it's not gonna be so isolated as the recent games (like Sonic Colors). I believe Flynn will make great use of the cast.

+3 new characters as of now.

Hopefully the more underused ones get their own stories.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On 2/4/2018 at 10:23 AM, Korke said:

Iizuka created the "two worlds" thing

To be fair, Iizuka creates a lot of things. lol

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I'm still not wholly convinced that the whole "two worlds" thing is actually intended to be wholly literal.  I think it's more of a world-building guideline for when they're developing the games, even if it does apparently mention a portal or something which they use to travel between the two.

But then again this is the work of the same people who cut Modern Sonic's entire history off at the knees by deciding that he and Classic Sonic are separate individuals, so who knows, Sonic Team have clearly completely lost all understanding of their own creation.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Bumblekast update:

-Ian Flynn prefers a more proactive Tails, and not sidelined and coward.

-He also has a list of canon games to IDW, but he doesnt know when he can make it public (I'm prety sure Forces is canon though).

-I think he implied Shadow The Hedgehog is canon, I'm not sure. (if it is, that would make SA1-SA2-Heroes canon).

-Also, he reffers to the world of "Shadow The Hedgehog" and "Sonic Unleashed" as the "human world". I'm a bit worried about that! Perhaps Unleashed is not canon to the comics, but only to the games, I do not like the "two-worlds" approach very much.

-Tangle will be a supporting character. It's a book centered around Sonic (unlike archie post-sgw where it's more focused on the extended cast), but he notes the amount of love Tangle got, and that she could have a bigger role in the future if fans want more of her.

Bumblekast update over.

Also, if Forces is canon, that would make Sonic CD (Metal Sonic), SA1 (chaos), Sonic Lost World (Zavok), and Sonic Rivals (Silver) and Sonic 2 (Death Egg Robots, the character remember them) canon. And also, Blaze's appearance makes Sonic Rush canon.

You're overthinking this "what is cannon" thing. Simple answer is that most of the games will be cannon.

The questionable ones are Olympics, Runners, Chronicles, few very old ones, maaaaybe Shuffle. Every main game will be cannon, no argument. Same goes for Rivals or Rush.

2 minutes ago, FFWF said:

I'm still not wholly convinced that the whole "two worlds" thing is actually intended to be wholly literal.  I think it's more of a world-building guideline for when they're developing the games, even if it does apparently mention a portal or something which they use to travel between the two.

And that's real reason why I hate "two worlds". I could live with Sonic-X-like world.

But our current explanation is so damn vague and has zero reflection in actual games. It's as practical as Bible for kids written in binary code.

• Nice Smile 1

I wish Iizuka referred "human world" to Station Square, and "mobian world" to Emerald Town (the official hometown of Sonic and his friends. ).

Can't he keep these 2 "worlds" be on the same planet!?

• Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, FFWF said:

But then again this is the work of the same people who cut Modern Sonic's entire history off at the knees by deciding that he and Classic Sonic are separate individuals, so who knows, Sonic Team have clearly completely lost all understanding of their own creation.

See I think that might actually be a misconception, unlike the two worlds thing which (as y'all have noted!) is vague enough that it could go either way.

Forces seems to heavily imply that the events of the classic games still happened, what with the classic zones still being there and their histories being alluded to (especially the Death Egg). It seems more like they're just treating the Classic Sonic alternate dimension as...well, a dimension where the classic designs live on, and apparently only the events of the classic games have happened so far. Basically, to use a comics reference (fittingly enough) it's less of a Crisis/New 52-ish reboot and universe alteration and more of an Ultimate universe situation.

Or...that's how I'm interpreting it based on what they've done with it so far, and hell even if that's the intent they might change their minds anyway. Honestly as long as Ian has just enough freedom that he can keep stuff like this consistent, or at least explain why things change when they do, well...I'd honestly be happy, haha.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the two worlds thing is supposed to be taken literally, it's just dumb and pointless. There's nothing wrong with Green Hill and Station Square existing in the same world. Randomly saying they're part of two different worlds just makes it more complicated.

Though, that does definitely sound like Iizuka.

12 minutes ago, Marcello said:

If the two worlds thing is supposed to be taken literally, it's just dumb and pointless. There's nothing wrong with Green Hill and Station Square existing in the same world. Randomly saying they're part of two different worlds just makes it more complicated.

Though, that does definitely sound like Iizuka.

Yeah, I'd really prefer that if these locations were on the same world, as they are iconic and important in Sonic's story, and to make the world cohesive and not just random useless excuses if there's not a human or a mobian in a game.

For example, if the 2 worlds is true, then in Unleashed, Chip protects the human world only. What about Sonic's world?? No light gaia? or another one less likeable than Chip?? (it's impossible to make up another guardian more likeable than Chip) = The human world has a more interesting history and legends than Sonic's world, as that's where there's Dark/Light Gaia, and echidna civilization, and Angel Island (according to SA1), that's also where the chao live!! (Special hotel chao garden, mystic ruins...), and that's also where Shadow was created!! And also where Rouge works. That's also where the damn chaos emeralds are located! (The city bank, and the government offers one to Tails to thank him for saving the city).

Do you really want to throw all that history to the human world, and keep just Green Hill Zone for Sonic's world???

THAT'S WHY IT SHOULD BE KEPT ONE WORLD!

7 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

For example, if the 2 worlds is true, then in Unleashed, Chip protects the human world only. What about Sonic's world?? No light gaia? or another one less likeable than Chip?? (it's impossible to make up another guardian more likeable than Chip) = The human world has a more interesting history and legends than Sonic's world, as that's where there's Dark/Light Gaia, and echidna civilization, and Angel Island (according to SA1), that's also where the chao live!! (Special hotel chao garden, mystic ruins...), and that's also where Shadow was created!!

THAT'S WHY IT SHOULD BE KEPT ONE WORLD!

Notice something more important: Unleashed must take place on "Earth" so that means that flying-talking chiwawa is somehow part of Humans Only planet.

Yeah, Sonic X proved that locations can be transported (Angel Island), which may explain echidna ruins next to human city. But with Unleashed we're talking about seven temples plus a bloody core of the planet.

• Nice Smile 1

15 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Notice something more important: Unleashed must take place on "Earth" so that means that flying-talking chiwawa is somehow part of Humans Only planet.

Yeah, Sonic X proved that locations can be transported (Angel Island), which may explain echidna ruins next to human city. But with Unleashed we're talking about seven temples plus a bloody core of the planet.

Plus, seven temples that must be activated by the seven chaos emeralds.

That's for Humans Only Planet.

Keep shoving Green Hill Zone down our throat and having it as the only lore for Mobians Only Planet SEGA -___-

Also I got proof that it's only one world, and Iizuka doesnt know what he's talking about.

(Quote from MetalJrock on reddit):

" Green Hill is on the SA2 map select, and that means South Island exists by default. It's not too farfetched to believe that the islands from the Classics are just isolated regions away from human civilization."

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

'm still not wholly convinced that the whole "two worlds" thing is actually intended to be wholly literal.  I think it's more of a world-building guideline for when they're developing the games, even if it does apparently mention a portal or something which they use to travel between the two.

Are you sure you're not in denial that they are lacking in common sense

27 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Also I got proof that it's only one world, and Iizuka doesnt know what he's talking about.

(Quote from MetalJrock on reddit):

" Green Hill is on the SA2 map select, and that means South Island exists by default. It's not too farfetched to believe that the islands from the Classics are just isolated regions away from human civilization."

There's no need to prove it, it's already been established that's how it was. Things have just changed since Adventure.

And how does the Two, no wait FOUR worlds thingy work with the “self-contained bubbles” that he posited earlier? It’s clear Izuka does not want continuity to be a thing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I don't think that idea is farfetched, but GHZ in SA2 is a bonus stage, I wouldn't really use that as proof.

Sonic Team just does whatever's convenient for a particular game, I don't think they really put much thought into it until recently so they just wave it off with portals and dimensions rather than try to unify everything they've introduced over the years. It's dumb, but it's not really surprising.

Ian also said that the comic is "directly inspired from the games" or something like that. From what I'm getting, I'm thinking that while the comic isn't canon to the games, the games are canon to the comics. At least, that's what I'm hoping.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Swing said:

O boy. Okay, let's start over again... How many worlds are canon to Sonic? 

According to Aaron, everything.

6 minutes ago, Swing said:

O boy. Okay, let's start over again... How many worlds are canon to Sonic? 

Human world.

Sonic's world.

Blaze's world.

Classic world.

notice how none of them have actual names

1 minute ago, Polkadi said:

Human world.

Sonic's world.

Blaze's world.

Classic world.

notice how none of them have actual names

Blame that on mandates and SEGA hating change. I swear, they are acting just like Miyamoto, except this time, it's a lot more essential to Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I swear, they are acting just like Miyamoto, except this time, it's a lot more essential to Sonic.

Well at least with Mario you have one universe and one timeline. With Sonic its seems we have at least 4 - 5.