Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

Ian's characterizations of them in the Preboot were good, so I doubt he could screw it up.

Rouge's preboot character wasn't all that great (especially in TTT), but Ian massively improved with her after 252. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Ian's characterizations of them in the Preboot were good, so I doubt he could screw it up.

Ian's characterizations were pretty good, some weren't the best but generally i trust him.

But, he's probably not going to the be the only one writing that book, and maybe at some point, he wont. People move on sometimes and sometimes other people write books. And maybe there might be other books like universe that other people write down the line

I'm not taking Ian's writing and Ian writing for granted

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Razule said:

Ah, so they don't let him wear pants...? SEGA and their blasted mandates..! MONSTERS!

Ah, ah, ah... they said RED pants. It clashes with his cool blue style too much, man!

23 minutes ago, Razule said:

Ah, so they don't let him wear pants...? SEGA and their blasted mandates..! MONSTERS!

No 70s Trousers mode confirmed.

12 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Ah, ah, ah... they said RED pants. It clashes with his cool blue style too much, man!

(Well no, he can't be red OR wear pants, not specificaly red pants)

• Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

You gotta show me that. Unless you show me whats going in the plot, or there's a clear implication of that happening. It just seems like silver forgot how to use his powers

My, aren't we privileged...

31 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm hoping he can use Cream more. Has he ever address some of the complaints from her fans? 

Yes, there were a couple of questions asked on the Bumblekast about it. It's how we even know about the minor restrictiveness regarding SEGA's vision of her.

With that said, he clearly managed to combat that or at least find a compromise by the time he got around to the Dulcy story.

27 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I can kind of see why they may not want him wearing pants since it could look weird on him. 

Not to mention that was actually a mandate that became relevant with the Reboot designs.

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Male characters flat out weren't allowed to wear pants, even on creative covers.

Maybe this can be loosened in the IDW Comics, (or on non-game cast, at least), given that Forces give you the option of giving your character pants. In fact, earlier on, characters weren't allowed to change their clothes at ALL, but there are a few instances near the end that show that the mandate has been loosened.

5 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Maybe this can be loosened in the IDW Comics, (or on non-game cast, at least), given that Forces give you the option of giving your character pants.

Hmm...maybe. Mr. Flynn did say that Forces would more or less open up more options and possibilities for Game-loyal design choices.

5 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

In fact, earlier on, characters weren't allowed to change their clothes at ALL, but there are a few instances near the end that show that the mandate has been loosened.

The heck? When was this stated?

• Nice Smile 1

45 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The heck? When was this stated?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/ArchieComicsSonicTheHedgehog
It's in the Executive Meddling section.
If you're referring to the instances of aversion, SU #94 had the Chaotix wear some different clothing for a panel.
EDIT: Also, some news: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IDWSonicComicSquad/permalink/348602232288860/
Confirmed a separate canon.

38 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/ArchieComicsSonicTheHedgehog
It's in the Executive Meddling section.
If you're referring to the instances of aversion, SU #94 had the Chaotix wear some different clothing for a panel.

I never heard of that before. And even then, at least Cassia broke that rule post-reboot.

The only remotely relevant thing I can think of was the Deadly Six's armors in World's Unite and that had nothing to do with them wearing anything.

So what do y'all think of the books not being canon the games? I'm currently rejoicing (If you didn't see the edit, the link is there.)

27 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

So what do y'all think of the books not being canon the games? I'm currently rejoicing (If you didn't see the edit, the link is there.)

I hope eventually they drop the thing of having to follow the games while never being acknowledged back by them down the line (kind of like how largely disjointed Boom was), so we can rewrite or even remove some of the badly-written games. 

• Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I told you on ASO and I'll tell you here again - this is not exactly good news for the people who are looking forward to this new comic.

It doesn't mean more freedom because we are expecting a tight grip from SoJ on this, probably even harder then it supposedly was in the post-reboot.

Today, I perceive that not being canon to the games is in fact a long-term death sentence - as we learned that no matter how popular comic-sided concept may get, they'll never make it to the games, or at least survive in brand new medias. They will get discarded.

Avoid getting attached to this new continuity and characters like Tangle, because they are surely bound to die someday.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

12 minutes ago, Korke said:

I told you on ASO and I'll tell you here again - this is not exactly good news for the people who are looking forward to this new comic.

It doesn't mean more freedom because we are expecting a tight grip from SoJ on this, probably even harder then it supposedly was in the post-reboot.

Today, I perceive that not being canon to the games is in fact a long-term death sentence - as we learned that no matter how popular comic-sided concept may get, they'll never make it to the games, or at least survive in brand new medias. They will get discarded.

Avoid getting attached to this new continuity and characters like Tangle, because they are surely bound to die someday.

Yes, we need a future comic to be even more tied with the games. Or at least one that doesn’t come up with appealing new concepts/characters for people to be attached to, like with the Mario cartoons from DiC.

IDW being a separate canon feels like a given. It uses the games as a backdrop for its own stories but it gets its own running plot. It's really not different from what we had with Archie first using SatAM as its backdrop or the reboot era using the games and mixing in DiC concepts along the way. Yeah, it sucks that any potentially cool stuff will die with IDW when Sega pulls the plug on it too, but I wouldn't expect anything else from spin-off media. I'd rather just enjoy this for what it is, and if it's actually any good despite being more like game Sonic, I'd rather Sega and Sonic Team not butcher the worthwhile bits shoving them into their games.

Look, Archie Sonic is my favorite incarnation of Sonic. I had to put up with losing favorite characters twice already. Even if I happen to love Tangle like I loved Sally or Scourge or whoever, I'm not hinging my enjoyment on whether or not Sega sees her as worth preserving (I'm certainly not hinging my enjoyment on characters I actually cared about making a return). Spin-off media is going to come and go, and I don't think IDW is going to be any more special to Sega than Archie or X or the OVA or Fleetway or Boom were, nor should it be. There's not really a point in worrying about it, especially when we still don't have a book yet.

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Yeah he does, like a dumb goat

Not someone with the powers of telekensis! He could just grab infinite, and infinite couldn't so anything about it. Infinite entire power works on his ability to hit you, silver literally has a power to avoid that entirely. That is not used

Along with that making him look extra weak, because infinite didn't get stronger... he didn't gain strength with the ruby, he just got illusion powers. I'm not saying infinite wasn't a tough costumer before , and to be fair silver also got bodied by shadow. That said silver is a tough time traveler from the future , he should be able to hand a washed ass merc with a glowy pimple on his chest fairly easy with his telekenisis he never uses on the guy

1 You can grab Infinite, yet he can still use his powers on you (like throwing cubes)

2 Silver must 'catch' his opponent first and Infinite is kinda fast (by cheating, but that's beside the point)

3 We clearly seen Infinite teleport perhaps he can just escape from "the grab"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

14 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I love Ian but saying his or the Pre-Reboot portrayal of Rouge in general was good is a slap in the face to Rouge as a character. Rouge is Gray area but she wouldn't let an entire dimension die. She Teases Knuckles but she wouldn't manipulate him.

Post-Reboot Rouge is way better characterization. She doesn't feel like she's just trying to get Knuckles off the Island because she wants the rock but just generally wants him to live his life outside of being the Guardian.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

I hated Ian's characterization, sonics not that smug and snarky, Knuckles is not that mature, Amy like it or not is not that level headed, Shadow is not that reckless(post shth), aggressive(more than usual to the point Knuckles can upset him) and melancholy, Rouge is not that considerate and like Shadow keeps a cold and detached demeanor by default unless it's really on rare occasions or amongst people she trusts, Omega is not........quirky etc etc. These characters are more like preferences of composite fannon depictions than actual cannon, and Ian failed to capture that, I've felt that the characters charm came from being able to be anime ish and a Mix of different archetypes being parodied like they were exxagerating themselves.

Ian took sonic characters way too logically in context. their supposed to be quirky animals with a few serious traits, not seriously quirky.(serious and quirk). 

Except Omega, hes fine as the stoic that even makes shadow emotional.

16 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

So somebody asked about the mandates about Sonic's character growth, and David responded with this.

01.png?width=366&height=430

>Growth for Sonic
There's hope for SEGA after all.

Any news on how Shadow is going to be plot importnt or not.

14 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

EDIT: Also, some news: https://www.facebook.com/groups/IDWSonicComicSquad/permalink/348602232288860/
Confirmed a separate canon.

13 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Considering I'm not seeing info of the sort from the link you gave, relieved so far that it's apparently not the case. Care to quote it from wherever you might have inferred that idea?

It was inferred from Joe saying it at the Q&A way back. We've actually known it for a while.

But for the sake of full checking, I looked over it myself and see the source just fine. I think it's a case of being in the group allowing you to see it. 

WxN9tzw.png

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1