Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

19 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

But for the sake of full checking, I looked over it myself and see the source just fine. I think it's a case of being in the group allowing you to see it. 

That would certainly explain it. Thanks for the thought and consideration, you put into distributing the news the more proper way with a clear source.

19 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

WxN9tzw.png

I have my doubts on how true that'll stick, but regardless, I'll admit, I'm a bit disappointed at the missed opportunity at better unity if such does end up true. Meh. Hopefully at least they'll consider using some characters from the comics and vice versa.

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

That's just a trade collection, we heard about it last month I believe. 

Ok cool, I must have missed that. Thanks dude.

11 hours ago, Zaysho said:

IDW being a separate canon feels like a given. It uses the games as a backdrop for its own stories but it gets its own running plot. It's really not different from what we had with Archie first using SatAM as its backdrop or the reboot era using the games and mixing in DiC concepts along the way. Yeah, it sucks that any potentially cool stuff will die with IDW when Sega pulls the plug on it too, but I wouldn't expect anything else from spin-off media. I'd rather just enjoy this for what it is, and if it's actually any good despite being more like game Sonic, I'd rather Sega and Sonic Team not butcher the worthwhile bits shoving them into their games.

Look, Archie Sonic is my favorite incarnation of Sonic. I had to put up with losing favorite characters twice already. Even if I happen to love Tangle like I loved Sally or Scourge or whoever, I'm not hinging my enjoyment on whether or not Sega sees her as worth preserving (I'm certainly not hinging my enjoyment on characters I actually cared about making a return). Spin-off media is going to come and go, and I don't think IDW is going to be any more special to Sega than Archie or X or the OVA or Fleetway or Boom were, nor should it be. There's not really a point in worrying about it, especially when we still don't have a book yet.

It's just that... It feels like we're going through all this trouble again for... nothing.

Those sudden changes were... nothing, just a simple character purge because someone said so. No long-term plans, no big picture, no grand scheme of things... Empty. It's just a Archie-ish reboot, if you know what I mean.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Dash Speed said:

Knuckles is not that mature, Amy like it or not is not that level headed, Shadow is not that reckless(post shth), aggressive(more than usual to the point Knuckles can upset him) and melancholy, Rouge is not that considerate and like Shadow keeps a cold and detached demeanor by default unless it's really on rare occasions or amongst people she trusts, Omega is not........quirky etc etc. These characters are more like preferences of composite fannon depictions than actual cannon

So if fans are tired of seeing Knuckles being written like an idiot, Amy's only character trait being she likes ''Sonic'', Shadow being a Gary Stu, Rouge being a jerk, and Omega being a stereotypical robot, like they were seeing in the games during the Dark Age and even in the Boost Era, writers for the other media should just continue the trend of the games?

• Thumbs Up 7

It's not surprising that the comic is going to be independent from the games. I think it's a good thing and I expected it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I think also  that the comic is canon to a VERSION of Sonic Forces where there's no Classic Sonic, no Avatar, no coward Tails.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

So if fans are tired of seeing Knuckles being written like an idiot, Amy's only character trait being she likes ''Sonic'', Shadow being a Gary Stu, Rouge being a jerk, and Omega being a stereotypical robot, like they were seeing in the games during the Dark Age and even in the Boost Era, writers for the other media should just continue the trend of the games?

And that’s why characters like the Deadly Six should be sidestepped entirely.

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

Just came across this on Amazon Uk for pre order, is this a future omnibus or an adapted novel?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sonic-Hedgehog-Vol-1-Fallout/dp/1684053277/ref=sr_1_45?ie=UTF8&qid=1518024783&sr=8-45&keywords=sonic

What is the conversion rate for the lowest price?

3 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

I hated Ian's characterization, sonics not that smug and snarky, Knuckles is not that mature, Amy like it or not is not that level headed, Shadow is not that reckless(post shth), aggressive(more than usual to the point Knuckles can upset him) and melancholy, Rouge is not that considerate and like Shadow keeps a cold and detached demeanor by default unless it's really on rare occasions or amongst people she trusts, Omega is not........quirky etc etc. These characters are more like preferences of composite fannon depictions than actual cannon, and Ian failed to capture that, I've felt that the characters charm came from being able to be anime ish and a Mix of different archetypes being parodied like they were exxagerating themselves.

To be fair, the Archie versions of the Fighting Buddies were actually like [something?] that in some of the games. Though Mr. Flynn has mentioned partially drawing from Spiderman at first in the former's case.

Not sure where the notion of Amy being outright levelheaded is coming from, but I think it's safe to just ignore that given the context.

And Omega primarily drew from his Chronicles characterization, which is basically just an expansion of how he occasionally was in Heroes.

Also, are you saying Rouge acts detached or are you saying that's what she should be?

29 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

And that’s why characters like the Deadly Six should be sidestepped entirely.

Because of Dash's logic?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

42 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I think also  that the comic is canon to a VERSION of Sonic Forces where there's no Classic Sonic, no Avatar, no coward Tails.

Stop thinking the things that you want to think so you can be disappointing when it turns out the comic doesn't think what you think

1 hour ago, Korke said:

It's just that... It feels like we're going through all this trouble again for... nothing.

Those sudden changes were... nothing, just a simple character purge because someone said so. No long-term plans, no big picture, no grand scheme of things... Empty. It's just a Archie-ish reboot, if you know what I mean.

That's how it be

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Korke said:

"Well, of course we are. Cuz da shiny new thingz sell dem bezt!" :rolleyes:

Or summat like that. And I think that kind of "market logic" isn't something I appreciate. -_-

You know, in here, they cancelled one about 40-years-running book for getting out something more "hip" instead, while most of that new shine's still claimed to be on its name, content's supposed to be almost the same than in that cancelled book. Though I suppose that was about sales.

Just meh. The stuff you said, well, if it's for any comfort, it felt to me as if the whole Sonic comic thing was for naught the very moment I saw Sonic's twitter account pulling out THAT stunt.

Though I suppose that's just me. Though I'd strongly advise people who get really, really easily attached to characters to consider deeply whether or not they want to take any chances about anything.

But I suppose it'll still be awesome, while it lasts. Prolly we all should start to prepare for the worst; the end of one last well-delivered storytelling gateway Sonic has.

I mean, it happened so easily (for the outside world of the big corps at least) for something that was around over 20 years, it's bound to be even easier for something that hasn't even started yet.

• Nice Smile 1

Hello everyone, I'm new here.

Kinda wish Ian Flynn wasn't the main writer again as he isn't the best when it comes to showing Amy being in love with Sonic like Sonic Team is where it feels like he's treats her love for Sonic poorly. Where as Sonic Team use her love for Sonic to make her own team in Sonic Heroes.   

2 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Kinda wish Ian Flynn wasn't the main writer again as he isn't the best when it comes to showing Amy being in love with Sonic like Sonic Team is

*insert pic of Sonic with his hand in Amy's face here*

*insert "I'm not leaving until you marry me" or whatever that line in Heroes was here*

6 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Kinda wish Ian Flynn wasn't the main writer again as he isn't the best when it comes to showing Amy being in love with Sonic like Sonic Team is where it feels like he's treats her love for Sonic poorly. Where as Sonic Team use her love for Sonic to make her own team in Sonic Heroes.   

Would you care to elaborate/give some examples?

Also, welcome.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

Just now, Flyinpenguin117 said:

*insert "I'm not leaving until you marry me" or whatever that line in Heroes was here*

I really love that marry me line! And that hand thing was very disrespectful to Amy. 

12 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Okay, the fluctuation from one extremity to another in here's getting stronger.

But well, I only have one real OTP (everybody prolly already knows what it is) for Sonic franchise and it's prolly dead forever in the official eyes so who am I to judge anybody about what they want to. All I can say is I think Mr. Flynn's handled characters quite well in Archie Sonic. There're always people with different opinions but I suppose this pairing means a lot to you since it's the only thing you mentioned as a reason for you not enjoying Mr. Flynn's writing that much. ^_^

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, Korke said:

Eh there are probably bunch of reasons we aren't privy to, like costs of doing business.  ( and that rumor that sega was scared for good reason... they might not actually own any of those characters and continuing to use those characters in that scenario put them in a weird legal situation  )

Also I'm just... not expecting much. Its a new book , under a new publisher. They are gonna create new characters and things are gonna be simple for a while because there's no reason to make it complicated. You would scare away a new audience, its why I don't think we will be seeing shadow for while. 

I'm sure the benefits to a new publisher will make themselves known later, maybe spin off stuff and maybe crossoever stuff. But its gonna be a little bit, book ain't even out. Just let it cook. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

20 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

To be fair, that first one is pretty humorous. And you're welcome.

tumblr_inline_one5mhrKMw1rbnp21_540.png

latest?cb=20120806175618

23 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Not really seeing the correlation here...?

You do know that, aside from one issue that does end with Sonic deciding to hang out with Amy, there was eventually a mandate against romance regarding SEGA characters besides maybe Knuckles? 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

13 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Eh there are probably bunch of reasons we aren't privy to, like costs of doing business.  ( and that rumor that sega was scared for good reason... they might not actually own any of those characters and continuing to use those characters in that scenario put them in a weird legal situation  )

But what characters? We just went through a purge. It would give unity to the canon, something which is well missed here...

• Nice Smile 1

Just now, DabigRG said:

To be fair, that first one is pretty humorous. And you're welcome.

tumblr_inline_one5mhrKMw1rbnp21_540.png

latest?cb=20120806175618

Not really seeing the correlation here...?

You do know that, aside from one issue that does end with Sonic deciding to hang out with Amy, there was a mandate against romance regarding the SEGA characters? 

The mandate doesn't mean much as Amy has loved Sonic in Heroes, Sonic Battle, Sonic Adv, and Sonic rush with the only bad one being in Sonic Generations these games are made by Sonic Team. Where Ian Flynn has a lot of mistakes when it come to her love for Sonic.

7 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

The mandate doesn't mean much as Amy has loved Sonic in Heroes, Sonic Battle, Sonic Adv, and Sonic rush with the only bad one being in Sonic Generations these games are made by Sonic Team. Where Ian Flynn has a lot of mistakes when it come to her love for Sonic.

See, I'm earnestly struggling to get what you're talking about. I legit can't think of anything that is misrepresented to that at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1