Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

32 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

You do know that, aside from one issue that does end with Sonic deciding to hang out with Amy, there was eventually a mandate against romance regarding SEGA characters besides maybe Knuckles? 

No, it was literally everyone bar Amy's crush. They basically killed off Knuckles and Rouge as a romantically teased pair once Sonic X finished airing. 

• Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

No, it was literally everyone bar Amy's crush. They basically killed off Knuckles and Rouge as a romantically teased pair once Sonic X finished airing. 

Except for one instance in Colors. Also, Tails and a non-Sonic Team character in Boom.

• Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I was more referencing Julie-Su, even if her appearances were unfortunately limited before The Pendering.

And even then, they let Sonic and Sally have a date for an issue, but that can also be filed in under the Grandfather Clause. Well that and Sally being of higher stature than most of the SatAM/Archie exclusives to them.

2 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Also, Tails and a non-Sonic Team character in Boom.

That's probably because Boom counts as a separate thing.

• Nice Smile 1

Oh. I just attribute that to SEGA knowing that their romance days were numbered. Penders started legal proceedings in 2010, which was way before those two things happened. 

7 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Oh. I just attribute that to SEGA knowing that their romance days were numbered. Penders started legal proceedings in 2010, which was way before those two things happened. 

Was it? When did Evil Reborn originally release?

Just now, DabigRG said:

See, I'm earnestly struggling to get what you're talking about. I legit can't think of anything that is misrepresented to that at the moment.

What is it that you don't understand? Amy loves Sonic openly when Sonic Team is writing her and Ian Flynn does a poor job at writing her being in love with Sonic.

Evil Reborn was 2007-ish, but that was an era I'd say was pretty free of the romance mandates (what with it being close to Ian's M25YL run and the fallout of Fiona's betrayal, both featuring a gratuitous amount of love shenanigans). Anything from about past Iron Dominion, though? On way more shaky ground. Especially the #222 date and that moment in #244. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

What is it that you don't understand? Amy loves Sonic openly when Sonic Team is writing her and Ian Flynn does a poor job at writing her being in love with Sonic.

Oh, I hear you...I'm just not hearing any citations that'd be nice.

I mean if your complaint is that it's not the unambiguous primary trait of her character(kinda like a certain someone else), I think many would disagree on the grounds that it's an acceptable but not total sacrifice.

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

Evil Reborn was 2007-ish, but that was an era I'd say was pretty free of the romance mandates (what with it being close to Ian's M25YL run and the fallout of Fiona's betrayal, both featuring a gratuitous amount of love shenanigans). Anything from about past Iron Dominion, though? On way more shaky ground.  

Oh, okay, that does make sense.

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

that moment in #244. 

I feel bad about not recalling what you gals are referencing tonight. I'll just assume it has to do with Julie-Su, though.

• Nice Smile 1

5 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I still don't get it. In what way did Amy not love Sonic "openly" in the comic?

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I feel bad about not recalling what you gals are referencing tonight. I'll just assume it has to do with Julie-Su, though.

I think it was #244, might have been #243 instead or something.

Basically, it was when Knuckles was talking to Julie-Su over the intercom, Julie was like "I love you" and Knuckles was like "Yeah, love you too". 

Something they probably wouldn't have been able to do unless Julie was going to near enough kick the bucket metaphorically later in the issue (off-panel). 

• Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I think it was #244, might have been #243 instead or something.

Basically, it was when Knuckles was talking to Julie-Su over the intercom, Julie was like "I love you" and Knuckles was like "Yeah, love you too". 

Something they probably wouldn't have been able to do unless Julie was going to near enough kick the bucket metaphorically later in the issue (off-panel). 

Thinking about it, you're right, it was in 244--Julie Su was just a voice from an unclear computer screen during one of the many flashbacks. Knuckles only appeared at the very end of the previous issue getting Remington's distress message.

1 minute ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Not to mention Knuckles literally calls her "the love of his life" when fighting Thrash.

Oh yeah, I definitely remember that from 245. There was a meme of it made shortly afterwards.

• Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Did anyone else feel like Knuckles and Julie Su's romance was awkward?

I'd imagine romantic relationships initiated by a convoluted mystical force that tells echidnas who to pork would tend to be.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

Just now, Ernest-Panda said:

I still don't get it. In what way did Amy not love Sonic "openly" in the comic?

She didn't love Sonic much when comparing Sonic Team VS. Ian Flynn's writing for Amy, I mean openly as in not trying to hide it from him.

4 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

I feel like every romance was awkward.

Romance shouldn't be a thing in Sonic at all imo

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

Romance in this book was awkward in general. While I was upset with shadow's exclusion and messed up execution in a lot of the pre-reboot. And Blazes exclusion in ... general to be quite honest. The benefit was that , they never really got romantic shenanigans. Not saying those characters can't have romance, standofish as they maybe you could do it. But if the option is " romance that is kinda sexist , and poorly written and just forced on us. And never really jived with a lot of the story , and in many cases made both people in the relatioship look like worse people and in some cases , really REALLY bad people" and... " never loved at all " . I'm gonna choose never loved at all. 

I mean in this book, they could write a fantastic love story between Sonic and Amy. OR a cute one with tails and somoene. Or A deep in depth psychological deep dive of shadows love of his motorcycle. But those failures have made me a bit apprehensive towards romance in the future of this book  

20 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

I honestly don't remember much of their romance outside of the initial strike of the Soul Touch and that one arc where Knuckles fought Vector and talked to his mom about romance. And even then, the latter is not specifically because fo their romance.

15 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

She didn't love Sonic much when comparing Sonic Team VS. Ian Flynn's writing for Amy, I mean openly as in not trying to hide it from him.

You sure you're not thinking of Boom?

• Nice Smile 1

18 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

GJ61Q8.jpg

...yep. Totally hiding it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 4

6 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Reveal hidden contents

GJ61Q8.jpg

Is it bad that some of those vaguely remind me of that "Innuendo" meme? :lol: 

Also, Amy has pockets.

Just now, Ernest-Panda said:

Hide contents

GJ61Q8.jpg

I didn't say she was hiding it more that it isn't there as much like when Sonic Team does it.

14 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I didn't say she was hiding it more that it isn't there as much like when Sonic Team does it.

You got me going in circles

(oh-oh-oh rooound and rooound I gooo)

4 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

I rather see Amy being other than a lovesick stalker, thank you. In fact, my favorite moments from Amy are when she does things other than fawn for Sonic

This too.

Amy is one of the more notorious cases of flanderization. Or more accurately, character regression WITH a dash of the former.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

20 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

In the games, she was flanderised to "Really loves Sonic" at one point. She wanted to marry Sonic, desperately, that she stalked him. That was Amy's entire character. It nearly ruined her, to the point that to fix it, they seemed to have changed her character entirely.

In the comics, Sonic and Amy are good friends, and Amy cares deeply for Sonic's wellbeing rather than for his love. When Sonic gives her some affection, Amy's love for Sonic kicks in, though he ignores the gestures. It's a deep, life-long friendship, though Sonic knows Amy clearly loves him.

I'm more with their relationship in the comics, it feels healthier.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, JosepHenry said:

I rather see Amy being other than a lovesick stalker, thank you. In fact, my favorite moments from Amy are when she does things other than fawn for Sonic

I like it more when Amy is in love with Sonic she was at her best in Sonic Heroes me watching Sonic getting embarrassed from her open flirting is what keeps me coming back to the games.