Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

7 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I like it more when Amy is in love with Sonic she was at her best in Sonic Heroes me watching Sonic getting embarrassed from her open flirting is what keeps me coming back to the games.

...I think that's a very random reason, but alright.

I think Amy in Heroes was awful, not counting Battle and Free Riders.

She can be really annoying, and that hurts her character. 

Her love for Sonic should be an affection, not obsession. I think is about time she got some character development in the games. A secondary part of her personality.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Just now, Fire-N-Space said:

I like it more when Amy is in love with Sonic she was at her best in Sonic Heroes me watching Sonic getting embarrassed from her open flirting is what keeps me coming back to the games.

And that was the game that had Amy's flanderisation at it's peak.

Her entire objective in the game? Find and marry Sonic. What happens when she finds Sonic? She fights him, saying there's no way out of marrying her this time. When someone has something to say about Sonic, she looks down on them angrily.

She was a fucking yandere in the game.

For a scene where Amy shows affection to Sonic in a much more friendly manner, there's scenes like her "death" in Sonic Lost World, where she proclaims her love for Sonic (and fails), before their call shorts out. Or Amy being happy with Sonic's safety in Forces, to which Sonic reacts with shock and embarrassment.

Anything that doesn't make her a creepy stalker is fine by me.

• Thumbs Up 8

Amy's one-sided creep romance from those old games has only brought harm to her character.

There is a lot more to Amy than being just a unlikable stalker.

• Thumbs Up 6

8 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

Sonic X and Sonic Rush would like to have a word with you.

6 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

Her entire objective in the game? Find and marry Sonic. What happens when she finds Sonic? She fights him, saying there's no way out of marrying her this time. When someone has something to say about Sonic, she looks down on them angrily.

Actually, her objective was to help Cream and Big find their missing pets, but the fact that Sonic was apparently involved was definitely further incentive at first.

2 minutes ago, Korke said:

Amy's one-sided creep romance from those old games has only brought harm to her character.

There is a lot more to Amy than being just a unlikable stalker.

Indeed.

Also, I just noticed Muscle from Brussels there is playing an accordion.

• Nice Smile 1

11 minutes ago, Korke said:

You can't harm something that doesn't exist, you know.

9 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Sonic X and Sonic Rush would like to have a word with you.

Wait, wasn't she flanderised in Rush too? Also, wasn't the X the main starting point for her flanderisation in the first place?

Just now, A person, that exists said:

whoa, who turned up the fire in here

At least later games did their best to restore an actual character to her, though it still lacks development to truly see her character. It's acceptable now.

Still prefer her in the comics, and in Boom.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

5 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

?

You can harm a character's image if you keep writing it badly.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Polkadi said:

At least later games did their best to restore an actual character to her

What games? Sonic 2006, where she's creepily stalking Sonic? Sonic Unleashed, where she creepily stalks Sonic? Sonic Generations, where she has barely any lines? Sonic Lost World, where she's just Princess Peach? 

Sonic Boom, maybe, but I'm not too familiar with that.

Amy's character is such a damn mess, that even Sega doesn't know how to write her.

3 minutes ago, Korke said:

?

You can harm a character's image if you keep writing it badly.

The thing is, that Amy's always been one-dimensional. She was just a yet another "Damsel in Distress" in CD, a creepy and annoying stalker in Adventure 1 and 2 and then a tsundere in every other game. You can't write something that's already pretty bad even worse.

6 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

The thing is, that Amy's always been one-dimensional. She was just a yet another "Damsel in Distress" in CD, a creepy and annoying stalker in Adventure 1 and 2 and then a tsundere in every other game. You can't write something that's already pretty bad even worse.

Touché. You got me there.

That's why I don't get the complaints over the comic incarnations.

So, if the Freedom Fighters DO show up, how do you want them to be used? I think a crossover between this continuity and the old one would be neat.

• Nice Smile 2

Amy in the comics is great, shows the best of her wasted character.

But in every game she is bad she has some small good moments (Her relationship with Gamma, Birdie, Cream, Big, heck, even Elise!)

• Nice Smile 3

22 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

Wait, wasn't she flanderised in Rush too? Also, wasn't the X the main starting point for her flanderisation in the first place?

That's what I was saying: Heroes at least played it for a quick laugh or two while primarily focusing on Amy's then continual progression as a heroine by leading and encouraging Cream and Big; Rush had her straight up prepare to attack Cream, iirc.

And of course, X may have been the primary breeding grounds for her overall flanderization.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

To me personally, the best Amy is Fleetway Amy. Like, that one was just awesome and actually DID SOMETHING. Archie Amy wasn't really a part of the freedom fighters in Archie and she just felt out of place.

Not to mention that she had a crossbow. That's cool. Not really useful against evil robots, but still.

As for the whole "Romance" argument,. Amy and Sonic's relationship has always been a joke, and having it turn into some real romance thingy is just... Gross. 

19 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

What games? Sonic 2006, where she's creepily stalking Sonic? Sonic Unleashed, where she creepily stalks Sonic? Sonic Generations, where she has barely any lines? Sonic Lost World, where she's just Princess Peach? 

Sonic Boom, maybe, but I'm not too familiar with that.

Amy's character is such a damn mess, that even Sega doesn't know how to write her.

3 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

To me personally, the best Amy is Fleetway Amy. Like, that one was just awesome and actually DID SOMETHING. Archie Amy wasn't really a part of the freedom fighters in Archie and she just felt out of place.

Not to mention that she had a crossbow. That's cool. 

Wow, you're really dismissive of anything regarding her game character and any direct adaptations thereof, aren't you? 

Like, you're completely ignoring the many scenes where she's either not focusing on Sonic or outright doing something that has little to do with her. Scenes which actually had a generally small but important effect on the plot for the better, even.

• Thumbs Up 6

8 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

So, if the Freedom Fighters DO show up, how do you want them to be used? I think a crossover between this continuity and the old one would be neat.

If they are to appear down the road i just wish that their core personality and character traits remain unaltered. (keep the designs and backstories too if possible pls). 

• Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

27 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Well, more or less what they were shaped up to be in the New252: a team of heroes who were inspired by Sonic's heroism against Dr. Robotnik and have worked with him on the odd occasion.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

22 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

A comic book that is read in the IDW universe as a cute nod, and that's about it.

Amy in the Archie comic did come across a bit bland to me. Game Amy may have a more polarising personality at times but it's certainly a more memorable personality. 

Then again, the Archie comic had that problem in general to me, and I wonder if part of it is a result of the very medium it's in. 

35 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Ideally, if they were to return, I'd like them to no longer be a superhero team living on a battleship. Just have them be a bunch of friends, and occasionally Sonic encounters them on his travels. Like Sonic happens to visit Spagonia or something, finds that Antoine and Bunnie are living there happily, there's some trouble involving Eggman or whatever, and the story unfolds from there. 

Maybe, at most, have them be a loosely-connected team based in Mobotropolis, sometimes they fight crime and get involved in local drama, but not being like an organized paramilitary group.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Polkadi said:

In the games, she was flanderised to "Really loves Sonic" at one point. She wanted to marry Sonic, desperately, that she stalked him. That was Amy's entire character. It nearly ruined her, to the point that to fix it, they seemed to have changed her character entirely.

In the comics, Sonic and Amy are good friends, and Amy cares deeply for Sonic's wellbeing rather than for his love. When Sonic gives her some affection, Amy's love for Sonic kicks in, though he ignores the gestures. It's a deep, life-long friendship, though Sonic knows Amy clearly loves him.

I'm more with their relationship in the comics, it feels healthier.

I saw It being very cute Amy wanting to marry Sonic but I don't think that was ever her entire character Amy cares for Sonic's well being in the games to that's why she is in love with him. I don't like Ian Flynn's take on there relationship.          

55 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

What games? Sonic 2006, where she's creepily stalking Sonic?

She kind of saved his life twice, by protecting him from Silver and getting a Chaos Emerald for him.

Not to mention she had a good moment with Elise.

Sonic Unleashed, where she creepily stalks Sonic?

I actually thought she had 2 good moments in the game:

-her Spagonia cutscenes were great, not only did they flip the "Amy mistaking other hedgehogs for Sonic'' gag on its head, it also showed that maybe Sonic actually cares about her on some level, especially since he rushed off after saving her.

-when Dark Gaia starting flooding the world in darkness and everyone lost their marbles, she was one of the few people unaffected and worried because she knew and believed that Sonic would win

Sonic Generations, where she has barely any lines?

I laughed when she pushed Knuckles into that tree

Sonic Lost World, where she's just Princess Peach?

...what?

a creepy and annoying stalker in Adventure 1

She literally damsels out of distress in that game.

Also, she didn't stalk Sonic. She just happened to run into him on the street.

a creepy and annoying stalker in Adventure 2 

She tried to save Sonic from a military prison, like Tails did. The fact that she managed to get to Prison Island without help is actually kind of impressive.

tsundere in every other game.

I can remember the Yandere moments, but the Tsundere moments are drawing a blank for me.

The thing is, that Amy's always been one-dimensional.

I disagree.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, JosepHenry said:

...I think that's a very random reason, but alright.

I think Amy in Heroes was awful, not counting Battle and Free Riders.

She can be really annoying, and that hurts her character. 

Her love for Sonic should be an affection, not obsession. I think is about time she got some character development in the games. A secondary part of her personality.

I don't see it as an obsession or annoying I find it charming that maybe why I like Amy so much she's so expressive, strong willed and not afraid to express love.

1 minute ago, Sonictrainer said:

Not to mention she had a good moment with Elise.

Aw yes, who could forget the scene where Amy considers switching teams? 

[Insert sparkle gif here]

No but for real though, I really do kinda like that scene.

Just now, Polkadi said:

For a scene where Amy shows affection to Sonic in a much more friendly manner, there's scenes like her "death" in Sonic Lost World, where she proclaims her love for Sonic (and fails), before their call shorts out. Or Amy being happy with Sonic's safety in Forces, to which Sonic reacts with shock and embarrassment.

Anything that doesn't make her a creepy stalker is fine by me.

Don't see any flanderisation there just a girl following her heart when she finds Sonic he is so over come with emotions that he just jumps off the building! I think a more friendlier time she shows affection toward Sonic was in Sonic Chronicles Dark Brotherhood at the end of the game if your been nice to her.

7 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

when she finds Sonic he is so over come with emotions that he just off the building!

Come again?

• Thumbs Up 2