Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Jack of Tangles said:

I would like if Tangle was a lesbian, would be pretty cool, and I'm sad that Gold was supposed to be bisexual but they never got to explore her character past her debut arc :(

But one thing that pisses me off... in fiction in general, even tv or movies, is that gay people and gay couples often get ignored in favor of lesbian couples, like, I see lots of those, but where are the gay? Sorry for the off-topic mini comment.

Can't say I'm a big fan of Tangle being a lesbian, so I'll leave it at that.

@DabigRG Yeah, IDW may have counted their chickens a bit too soon with Tangle. Hopefully, she does appear often enough to warrant the hype around her. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah, IDW may have counted their chickens a bit too soon with Tangle. Hopefully, she does appear often.

Eh, I'm actually kinda hoping the opposite, possibly depending on how she turns out, but whatever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DabigRG said:

Eh, I'm actually kinda hoping the opposite, possibly depending on how she turns out, but whatever.

I see what you mean in that if she appears too often, she might end up like Chris or Sally where they more or less hogged a lot of acreentime from the other characters. I mean, Blaze wasn't even mentioned in the article by IDW about the new comics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I see what you mean in that if she appears too often, she might end up like Chris or Sally where they more or less hogged a lot of acreentime from the other characters. I mean, Blaze wasn't even mentioned in the article by IDW about the new comics.

Pretty much.

Mind you, this is coming from someone who isn't very particular or harsh about some things, not to mention that I actually liked (New252!)Sally and didn't mind Chris too much. But yeah, despite that, I'm honestly sort of the mindset that Tangle should probably stay the fuck away if she isn't truly needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Pretty much.

Mind you, this is coming from someone who isn't very particular or harsh about some things, not to mention that I actually liked (New252!)Sally and didn't mind Chris too much. But yeah, despite that, I'm honestly sort of the mindset that Tangle should probably stay the fuck away if she isn't truly needed.

Language aside, I agree. That's one of the reasons I was skeptical about Issue 4 because it seemed like Blaze would be sidelined in favor of Tangle and Sonic. Granted, Ian might make it work given what he would've done with the Bunnie and Blaze issue with Archie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Say, if someone can make a general timeline as to the IDW Sonic announcements, reveals, and deadlines, that could be a real help.

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

That's one of the reasons I was skeptical about Issue 4 because it seemed like Blaze would be sidelined in favor of Tangle . Granted, Ian might make it work.

Fixed. :P 

 

But yeah, that is one of bigger issues. Not to mention it kinda breaks the flow of the four-parter's theme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jack of Tangles said:

But one thing that pisses me off... in fiction in general, even tv or movies, is that gay people and gay couples often get ignored in favor of lesbian couples, like, I see lots of those, but where are the gay? Sorry for the off-topic mini comment.

Statistics indicate the opposite. Like, over the years whenever I've seen studies into how many LGBT characters there were in the last year of [insert medium here] the order is pretty much consistently, well...GLBT in terms of how much each are represented.

Saying "oh people think lesbians are hot" isn't exactly false, but if you think that means they get more (let alone good) rep, or that it means people like them more (as if a straight person looking at lesbian porn means they supports lesbians), uhhh...no.

...This has gotten us all pretty off track so I'm going to add a token order to stay on topic, I just wanted to say something about that because it was grinding my gears a little.

7 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I think it'd actually be worse (or tragically hilarious) if Tangle completely overshadowed Blaze in her debut, then barely appeared at all after that (cause God knows Blaze doesn't get to come out very often)

Hopefully one of the criticisms Ian heard was how Blaze was handled in Archie. Though personally I never really saw an issue, and I love Blaze, so it's been kinda surprising to see people bring it up in this topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Hopefully one of the criticisms Ian heard was how Blaze was handled in Archie. Though personally I never really saw an issue, and I love Blaze, so it's been kinda surprising to see people bring it up in this topic.

Apparently he wanted to do more things with Blaze, but SEGA said not to. Plus, looking at the pages for the Universe issue with Bunnie in the Sol Zone, Blaze was treated rather well since she neither got kidnapped nor knocked out; in addition,

 

she even rescued Bunnie from Null Mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like it's more in kids media than anything else. Whenever a kids show, movie, etc. breaks ground by having LGBT representation it's more often females than males (i.e. Steven Universe).

I dunno, it's just whenever I think of representation in kids stuff over the last decade, I can think of way more females than males. It almost comes off as if they think lesbians are somehow less "offensive" than gay men.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I dunno, it's just whenever I think of representation in kids stuff over the last decade, I can think of way more females than males. It almost comes off as if they think lesbians are somehow less "offensive" than gay men.

Probably cause there's less traditional gayness involved.

Also, less dick. Most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I think it'd actually be worse (or tragically hilarious) if Tangle completely overshadowed Blaze in her debut, then barely appeared at all after that (cause God knows Blaze doesn't get to come out very often)

I know I'm guilty of this too, but why is everyone so obsessed with "Character X deserved more screen time then Character Z"?

Isn't the actual quality of the story more important than this sort of shenanigans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I know I'm guilty of this too, but why is everyone so obsessed with "Character X deserved more screen time then Character Z"?

Isn't the actual quality of the story more important than this sort of shenanigans?

Because everyone has their favorites, so it kind of naturally happens, even though yeah - a good story and well written characters are more important, I'm all for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I think it'd actually be worse (or tragically hilarious) if Tangle completely overshadowed Blaze in her debut, then barely appeared at all after that (cause God knows Blaze doesn't get to come out very often)

Very often? That would be neat, but coming out is something you can only do once

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I know I'm guilty of this too, but why is everyone so obsessed with "Character X deserved more screen time then Character Z"?

Isn't the actual quality of the story more important than this sort of shenanigans?

I'm guessing it might because in Blaze's case, given that she didn't appear in the comic that often and most of her appearances involved her either being defeated and/or having to be rescued (with PPP being cited as the worst case of these two), this came off as unflattering to her fans. So, the fact that her debut in the new comics is seemingly being overshadow by the introduction of Tangle probably doesn't sit right with people.

33 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Because everyone has their favorites, so it kind of naturally happens, even though yeah - a good story and well written characters are more important, I'm all for it.

And I guess for some people, how their favorite characters are written tend to affect their view on the story telling and writing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see people saying about how badly treated Blaze was in the Archie comics, and that Ian Flynn should give her better treatment in IDW.

Then I see people saying that PPP was the worst of the lot.

I just want to make a quick note, PPP was written by Yardey! and not by Flynn. So if anyone wants to fire shots at Flynn for that, he wasn't really behind the writing of that arc. I'm sure Flynn's Blaze is fine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

I see people saying about how badly treated Blaze was in the Archie comics, and that Ian Flynn should give her better treatment in IDW.

Then I see people saying that PPP was the worst of the lot.

I just want to make a quick note, PPP was written by Yardey! and not by Flynn. So if anyone wants to fire shots at Flynn for that, he wasn't really behind the writing of that arc. I'm sure Flynn's Blaze is fine...

The times Ian did write Blaze was during the Sonic Rush side story, the TTT arc, and Worlds Collide. Granted, she still was defeated and/or captured in all three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.