Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

I agree with the lore point, the reboot was too much catching up with the world-building to provide what the old continuity did, but it didn't have to because it was a different universe, so there was no point other than trying to please the fans, but it wasn't a good narrative in my opinion. I don't like when things are too simple either, we'll have to wait and see but right now I'm very excited!

As it's been said the main universe could really use some tying up, clean up and development, I'm excited to see more of the games' own lore explored, instead of throwing tons of fan fiction ideas that take over the game lore.

I also like the girls question, I think Sonic has a lot of girls, there are 7 of them that are at least recurring, so I'm not worried, compared to other franchises like Mega Man or Mario, but Tangle is a great addition too and I want to see where she fits.

I'm not too sure about how SEGA is directly involved this time, could be good or bad, good because it seems they care about the comic now, unlike with Archie, and they might be more Sonic-y, but it could be bad because of the possible restrictions and "Sega's crazy ideas".

Ian is really an awesome person, not just as a writer, but he's funny and he's gotten really professional in the last couple of years.

About the question of the "surprise antagonist", I like the sound of that, and I know the book is not out yet, but... any guesses? They said it's a reference to old aspects of the franchise, so I predict it will be a new character based off some old obscure Sonic game that Ian hasn't adapted yet. Could it be one of the villains from the Sonic 1 concept art?

And while it seemed inevitable, there is the Forces comment. Ugh. Hopefully it's just Forces happened in a way, and not exactly how it was in that game.....ugh. I'd only be happy if they acknowledged those faults and characters improved off of it, so at least a good story can come off of a bad one.

14 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

7? I can only think of Rouge, Amy, Blaze, and Cream and Tikal.

Tikal doesn't have enough appearances to count as recurring (one). Wave isn't in the main games (we have forgotten Wave apparently, RIP Riders games). Marine's the same as Tikal.

Eh, there's been enough Rider games for the Babylon Rogues to be on the reoccurring list. It helps that they tend to crop up in cameo roles for ensemble spin-offs like the Olympics titles, and even the board game is throwing a few of them in. The Olympics seem to be a big reason Blaze has stayed relevant herself.

9 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Calling it now, this new fucker is...

Hide contents

anton_brooke_by_logiteeka-d4qf1wa.png

ANTON FUCKING BERUKA!

I kinda hope so. The manga in my eyes has always been the most plausible and fitting setting for Sonic's backstory, so I'd love to see it's elements get adapted

I really like Ian Flynn from what I have read so I have high hopes for this series.  My only 2 specific hopes for this series is that Honey the Cat from sonic the fighters comes back because I really like her character and I noticed his emphasis on female characters in this recent interview so I hope its possible. As for the freedom fighters characters I am ready to say goodbye to them because the Archie series lasted a long time so I'm ready for something new. My other hope for the series is that this greater focus on the games allows for us to see more of various settings and characters from throughout the game series history and to develop them more, that would really take advantage of this greater game focus. Who knows what old settings could come back? I'm a little disappointed that he said there would not be much world building but I'm sure that will change as the series goes on.

It's about the journey rather than the destination.

Exactly. That being said, folks who know my writing style know I love the long con, so we're going to be setting up a surprise early on that will play out within the first year. There's a new antagonistic force that...I don't know if I can talk about it, but the first four issues are all bite-sized, but they're all building to something, and boy howdy, it'll be amazing once we get there.

Any hints you can drop about this new antagonistic force or what direction it'll be taking the story in?

I will say that long-term fans will probably piece it together very early on. Casual fans will find it new, exciting, and interesting. They might not even know that it's a reference to something older.

So it'll feel like a new antagonist but is based on something obscure from the games' past?

Yeah. We'll put it that way.

Inb4 this guy is the "new antagonistic force"

tumblr_ojswk3QKaD1w1kerio2_250.gif

2 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Heck yeah

Why would you jump to that conclusion all of the sudden though? lol

Probably because of 

They sound like a close duo...

Yes. Yes, they are.  

But what if they're like... actually combined or something. 

Just now, Razule said:

Probably because of 

But what if they're like... actually combined or something. 

And then they turn out to be related. Oopsies. 

Though the ship name would be awesome. Rumble or Tough. Best names.

Still, waaaay too early. lmao

What do you meam by combined? They could just be heterosexual partners for life.

3 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

And then they turn out to be related. Oopsies. 

Though the ship name would be awesome. Rumble or Tough. Best names.

Still, waaaay too early. lmao

What do you meam by combined? They could just be heterosexual partners for life.

I mean like, two heads on one body, it's out there

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I'm thinking Battle Kukku Army for the overarching whatever antagonists. 

I'm hoping for them in general.

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I love Anton, but he's literally just a street punk. He wouldn't stand up to Charmy in his current form, let alone a super-powered team of heroes. 

So basically, Old Hob?

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I love Anton, but he's literally just a street punk. He wouldn't stand up to Charmy in his current form, let alone a super-powered team of heroes. 

I mean neither can Tails if Forces is anything to go bye.....

Maybe they're the abstract concept of "Rough-and-Tumble"...Sonic and Knuckles will just be fighting the urge to, well, fight each other.

EDIT: ...Okay here's an actually serious theory: they're going to be villains with the power to make allies turn on each other somehow. Maybe that's a bit too specific of a power tho'.