Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

10 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

In fact they look a lot like Sleet and Dingo from Underground, as pointed out in the facebook group.

Huh, they really do. That's cool!

2 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

??? I'm not talking about body types. When I say "Sonic Style", I mean the artstyle Sonic Team draw/design their character in.Both skunks looks different than how SEGA designs their characters. The big guy looks different from Big or Storm (or Bark & Vector). The little guy looks different from the normal style.

Yeah but Bark and Vector are in Sonic style.

Big and Storm are not. (they have small round eyes instead of big oval). And Tumble (the big guy) has small round eyes.

357675-177705-storm-the-albatross.jpgtudsgqnqwkflrutfsgn8.png

They look similar.

21 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

??? I'm not talking about body types. When I say "Sonic Style", I mean the artstyle Sonic Team draw/design their character in.Both skunks looks different than how SEGA designs their characters. The big guy looks different from Big or Storm (or Bark & Vector). The little guy looks different from the normal style. WHich is odd since Tangle is more close to the Sonic-y style.

Big, Storm, Bark, and Vector all look different from each other though. Also Werehog. You say that like there's one "big character" body type.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

15 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Yeah but Bark and Vector are in Sonic style.

Big and Storm are not. (they have small round eyes instead of big oval). And Tumble (the big guy) has small round eyes.

357675-177705-storm-the-albatross.jpgtudsgqnqwkflrutfsgn8.png

They look similar.

Storm and Big's body are more emphasized than Bark and Vector, so their head feature is more smaller/squished (the mouth part is most obvious). Tumble looks like an in-between of the Big/Storm and Vector/Bark, which makes him look slightly off. Which isn't bad, mind you. But I do want to see how they look in one of the existing shapes.

"Rough and Tumble’s final approved designs are quite a bit different from the initial sketches IDW showed me. While I can’t share them here, I can say the eyes are more defined, there’s less clothing, and Tumble looks a lot less rabid."

I dunno how less clothing is possible, but I hope Tumble does look like bit more composed than just being savage. 

11 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

"Rough and Tumble’s final approved designs are quite a bit different from the initial sketches IDW showed me. While I can’t share them here, I can say the eyes are more defined, there’s less clothing, and Tumble looks a lot less rabid."

I dunno how less clothing is possible, but I hope Tumble does look like bit more composed than just being savage. 

I think that the quote is saying that the original pitched designs for Rough and Tumble had less defined eyes, more clothing and Tumble looked a lot more rabid.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm glad that they are deviating from the SegaSonic style. It shows more variety. I'm even more surprised that Sonic Team approved it, with less clothing (surprisingly) and more defined eyes.

7 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I think that the quote is saying that the original pitched designs for Rough and Tumble had less defined eyes, more clothing and Tumble looked a lot more rabid.

No, they are discribing what the final approved version is like, because they can't show it.

This is awesome! I love skunks!

Tumble looks like he might be an albino, with his lighter fur and red eyes.

Rough instantly reminded me of Zangoose due to the marking on his chest.

5a873eea7a688_unnamed(4).png.50eba37f6d96ab728137a1deb5d5ddfe.png

Overall I'm liking the design and the description of the characters however, and I'm pleased there's going to be more anthro antagonists. I wonder if these two will run into Nack and the Hooligans (if they end up in the comic) could be an interesting face off. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

No, they are discribing what the final approved version is like, because they can't show it.

I'm fairly certain that we're looking at the final approved versions and it's the early versions that we can't see. The remarks in regards to eyes/clothing/stature are comparing the final designs (pictured) to the early designs.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

I'm fairly certain that we're looking at the final approved versions and it's the early versions that we can't see. The remarks in regards to eyes/clothing/stature are comparing the final designs (pictured) to the early designs.

Possibly. Still cool, though.

Ian Flynn: Which Amy do you want?

• SA1 brave and self-reliant?
  • SA2 kinda goofy, kinda badass?
  • Heroes stalker psycho?
  • Unleashed passive & supportive?
  • Generations face-shoved fan-girl?
  • Forces competent logistics coordinator?

(I prefer SA1-2 myself)

I agree with this.

Ian Flynn: And yes, Cream (with her wrecking ball of a chao) is awesome. She hasn't had more than cameo roles since Battle. There's a reason for that. A reason I've been arguing against since post-SGW. (No, I can't be more specific.)

Does anyone know what he's talking about?

Ian Flynn: I realize how I phrased things in the interview was less than flattering. I was calling it as I see it, not how I wish it were - or how I'm going to try to take things. I want every character to have their moment to shine. Gimme time. You'll see.

Nice!

2 hours ago, Slashy said:

I get that he wants to play the comic safe, but I feel that storytelling-wise risks are precisely what the series needs right now.

The fact that the entire comic is beginning at the end of Sonic Forces is already a huge risk.

• Nice Smile 1

Y'know, I kinda thought cutting Rumble/Frenzy in Half was a better idea.

Also, which one's which?

EDIT: EVERYONE EDIT YOUR POSTS KOTAKU ACCIDENTALLY REVERSED THE NAMES

Rough is the small one, Tumble's the big one.

He pulled a Gohan: came into his own, then regressed severely. See: watching Sonic "die" in SA2 vs. Forces. (BUT Sonic came /right/ back in SA2 and was "dead" for 6 mo. in Forces. An argument can be made.) Personally I like a mix of SA2+Colors: a capable foil to Sonic.

I could not agree with Mr. Flynn any further...cept for that part being arguable. I honestly don't think it is but that's my opinion. I don't think Tails pulled a supreme Gohan, but he definitely went down the same path. So where's the Sonic Tournament of Power so Tails can be retrained by Knuckles XP......Or my head canon is true and Liquir is just Future Tails.

12 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

He was probably talking about how little Cream did in the Post-SGW and how SEGA prohibits him from.having her fight in battles

7 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Also, which one's which?

Rough is the big vanilla skunk. Tumble is the smaller one.

6 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

How is it a risk to be on the offset of forces

How many Sonic Fans like Sonic Forces' story or the game in general?

How many Sonic Fans were happy to find out the setting of the first 4 IDW issues take place after Sonic Forces?

I'm asking this as someone who liked the game and still plays with the Avatar Creator to this day.

7 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Also cream prob ably is a rule set by Sega to push her aside

That does make me wonder if she'll end up being retired like Big. I hope it doesn't come to that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

From Kotaku:

Update 2/16 1:33 PM: IDW informed us that a mistake had been made, and the names of the characters reversed. Rough is the little one, Tumble is the big one. The article has been edited to reflect the correct names.

Goddamn it, it's their announcement day and we already have a FIRRIB moment.

• Nice Smile 1

13 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

How many Sonic Fans like Sonic Forces' story or the game in general?

How many Sonic Fans were happy to find out the setting of the first 4 IDW issues take place after Sonic Forces?

I'm asking this as someone who liked the game and still plays with the Avatar Creator to this day.

Depends on who you ask. There are lots of sonic fans that like forces.  fan art, videos etc. The SS is not end   all voice of sonic fans. This from a guy that was hyped for forces and was upset but how bad the controls were. I can play it for 20 minutes sessions every now and again. It's not a risk but simply a branch to a bigger tree

36 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

I'd assume the "Cream can't fight" thing.

Let's be glad "Tails can't fight" isn't a thing too

• Nice Smile 1

21 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

I could not agree with Mr. Flynn any further...cept for that part being arguable. I honestly don't think it is but that's my opinion. I don't think Tails pulled a supreme Gohan, but he definitely went down the same path. So where's the Sonic Tournament of Power so Tails can be retrained by Knuckles XP......Or my head canon is true and Liquir is just Future Tails.

Link to that part of interview?

So Rough and Tumble are the stubby legs brigade...not 100% sure how I feel about that. I suppose they look villainous enough, but they're not all that appealing personally.

I don't understand the pokemon comments. They just look like sort-of ugly Sonic characters.

• Thumbs Up 1