Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I'm glad that they are deviating from the SegaSonic style. It shows more variety. I'm even more surprised that Sonic Team approved it, with less clothing (surprisingly) and more defined eyes.

I'm not glad to have clashing art styles, I prefer to not relive the off- model supporting characters days of the Archie comics and cartoons.  Sega Sonic style is already varied to the point of offering enough and more proper leeway in design, we even got people still arguing over moden and classic designs. To me, these Rough and Tumble characters look like SilverWing characters combined with Loonatics Unleashed, merely with one of them in a vaguely similar pose to Storm for instance, which honestly just helped highlight how off everything looks, in my personal opinion.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the style. Honestly, we have characters like Vector and Big who don't exactly follow traditional Sonic style. Rough (wait, is that Tumble now?) reminds me of Bark's body type, actually, and I love it! I think they're both super cool and it's neat to see the team branch out!

Also I'm a little upset that the big guy is Tumble. I think the names made sense originally, haha. Aw well. I'll have to get used to it. Still love the guy, though!

(Oh my goodness, autocorrect, stop ruining my posts, lol.)

• Thumbs Up 3

New guys look.... okay-ish/ Appear to be just a bunch of muscles heads.

I kinda liked Geoffrey's design better, but let's be fair

image.png.343a62389c0964c57bdaffb376f823db.png

He was smug Tails Recolor with koala ears

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

From the comments in this thread, I'm beginning to think recolors with slightly different traits is what's preferable..

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

From the comments in this thread, I'm beginning to think recolors with slightly different traits is what's preferable..

Sad, but true.

44 minutes ago, BlossomHaze said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the style. Honestly, we have characters like Vector and Big who don't exactly follow traditional Sonic style. Rough (wait, is that Tumble now?) reminds me of Bark's body type, actually, and I love it! I think they're both super cool and it's neat to see the team branch out!

Also I'm a little upset that the big guy is Tumble. I think the names made sense originally, haha. Aw well. I'll have to get used to it. Still love the guy, though!

(Oh my goodness, autocorrect, stop ruining my posts, lol.)

You seem to be under the wrong impression that this is merely about the size of a character. Being big characters does not mean the likes of Vector is not the same art style still. Vector looks more fitting next to Sonic, and no one even likes Big, even still, he looks like a Sonic character, only fat and with eyes closer to Metal Sonic's or Eggman's eyewear.

51 minutes ago, Uriel_Coltan said:

I'm not glad to have clashing art styles, I prefer to not relive the off- model supporting characters days of the Archie comics and cartoons.  Sega Sonic style is already varied to the point of offering enough and more proper leeway in design, we even got people still arguing over moden and classic designs. To me, these Rough and Tumble characters look like SilverWing characters combined with Loonatics Unleashed, merely with one of them in a vaguely similar pose to Storm for instance, which honestly just helped highlight how off everything looks, in my personal opinion.

Did you mind it when Boom also did it? Like with that one fish? 

16 minutes ago, Razule said:

Honestly the only thing that is turning me off is the eyes. Different shapes are fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Miragnarok said:

Did you mind it when Boom also did it? Like with that one fish? 

I don't like Boom designs in general(Although Sticks and Perci are alright), and one fish? Is that really all?

• Fist Bump 1

12 minutes ago, Uriel_Coltan said:

I don't like Boom designs in general(Although Sticks and Perci are alright), and one fish? Is that really all?

Not just the fish, but also Comedy Chimp, Og., etc.

4 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

So far, I've only found 2 Fanart pieces of R & T

tumblr_p497o78Cw51v2b43jo1_500.png

Created by papadripopoulos

tumblr_p49lc8cdtq1rac37ro1_1280.png

Created by sonicsis

In order to get an immediate fan following you must:

• Have a design that adheres to the standard Sonic character template (see: Red Wolfenstein, Infinite)
  • Be a girl (see: Sticks, Perci, Tangle)
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

19 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

At least after Adventure 1 anyway.

Related image

22 minutes ago, Razule said:

18 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Sad, but true.

That's more or less what characterized most of the Issue 160 onward stuff and helped lead to certain characters being more appreciated.

Appropriate profile pic, btw. :lol: 

45 minutes ago, Uriel_Coltan said:

no one even likes Big, even still, he looks like a Sonic character, only fat and with eyes closer to Metal Sonic's or Eggman's eyewear.

Eggman is definitely a decent comparison. Also, you shouldn't speak in absolutes, dude.

43 minutes ago, Uriel_Coltan said:

(Although Sticks and Perci are alright), 

That's because Perci was actively trying to look like a girl [-] Sonic character in the most literal way(and still didn't quite succeed, for whatever reason), while Sticks was actually designed by Sonic Team, apparently. 

36 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

So far, I've only found 2 Fanart pieces of R & T

tumblr_p49lc8cdtq1rac37ro1_1280.png

Created by sonicsis

Oh wow, those two really don't blend in well. Even for villains. 

30 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Not just the fish, but also Comedy Chimp, Og., etc.

To be fair, Comedy is not only an ape, but his character is supposed to be kind of  and slozenly compared to most of the SEGASonic stuff.

And Og is literally just a Froglodyte with hippie accessories, which are based on Cavemen and/or Morlocks to begin with.

21 minutes ago, Razule said:

In order to get an immediate fan following you must:

• Have a design that adheres to the standard Sonic character template (see: Red Wolfenstein, Infinite)
  • Be a girl (see: Sticks, Perci, Tangle)

Ain't dat da truth! :joy: 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I actually like these designs, and think that they at least fit as much as many of the Boom designs, although less flowery. And they still fit better than many  characters from the two previous comics. They definitely have a role and personality that’s obvious from their aesthetic, and I like the wretched and evil appearance of their bodies. Nice to see both designs with more paprika and coriander rather than sugar and cinnamon and vice-versa, and either of those instead of HFCS and MSG. And the big one’s clothing choices give me a sort of 90s brawler giant feel, mainly due to the spike bracelets. 

Honestly, I like these designs. It's good to have some variety every once in awhile.

I can't wait to see these two in action. Hoping they have some good personalities, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

Nice to see both designs with more paprika and coriander rather than sugar and cinnamon and vice-versa, and either of those instead of HFCS and MSG. 

...What?

I'm glad to have some low-tier villains to balance things out. Not every bad guy needs to be Eggman-levels of dangerous. And while the designs are a bit deviant from what we're used to, I'm fine with them as long as they look cool and not like they belong in a different series. 

Plus, skunks were a good choice for what seem to be a pair of low-life punks! Let's hope these two can fix the series' bad track record of polecats:

Spoiler

350?cb=20140401143741

259?cb=20130403163239

SVZ-Whiffy

(Last one's from an old adventure book called "Sonic vs Zonik")

• Fist Bump 1

10 hours ago, Fusionwatch said:

And here it is.

ymtydmhixpwuits1x5cj.png

Tumble is the left dude, Rough on the right.

EDIT:

They're freaking SKUNKS. Tumble kinda gave that away...

tudsgqnqwkflrutfsgn8.png

Rough's glove cuffs slightly remind me of Vector's.

pleklw7bicci3qf12zso.png

They look rather cool.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

...What?

That they don’t feel contrived and made by a committee.

And yes, RedFox99, I do like these rougher designs.

For all of you to remember the proper names, I've come up with this:

RUSTIT

Rough is small, Tumble is tall.

It's kinda like FIRRIB.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

16 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Why are we getting so many OCs right out the gate?

Possibly the same reason the Shattered World Crisis established a supporting cast for each locale and also put in a great amount of lore for both Unleashed and the comic. Which isn't exactly a good thing to emulate, depending on who you ask and why.

Rough and Tumble are at least minor setup for a future storyline, though, so they're justified.

• Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Uriel_Coltan said:

You seem to be under the wrong impression that this is merely about the size of a character. Being big characters does not mean the likes of Vector is not the same art style still. Vector looks more fitting next to Sonic, and no one even likes Big, even still, he looks like a Sonic character, only fat and with eyes closer to Metal Sonic's or Eggman's eyewear.

I'm not under the wrong impression at all. That's a little insulting because I'm an artist and character designer and study this stuff, and I merely stated my opinion here. If you don't like the designs that's okay. I apologize if my post came off like I was singling you out. That wasn't the intention.

(And I like Big and his design so...)

• Thumbs Up 3