Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I thought it was pretty clear that the "new direction" for the comics was in relation to Archie, as a way of stating that the IDW comic would not be a continuation but a fresh approach, rather than any kind of statement about how it would relate to the games - and there was no chance of it being an entirely distinct product.  Brand unity is not likely to decrease at this time.

So far as the deployment of new characters goes, Ian is pretty clear in his interview that the new characters are about filling niches, but I also believe that it's probably related to setting out pieces on the board which might be useful later; giving himself an expanded toolbox.  Neither Rough and Tumble nor Tangle are wholly interchangeable with any existing character, and the fact that they exist gives him more options.  I don't think there's been any statement that any of the three are to be "regulars"; "recurring," which provides no information about the frequency with which they might recur, strikes me as more likely.  Rough and Tumble are explicitly small fry, after all.

While I myself was hesitant about the comics taking place after Forces, I can see why; you see, it would probably be better to start off with the game people are most familiar with at the moment. Granted, I see why some people don't like this idea since on surface it seems to go against what has been said about the comics being new; now, I do think that they can still be fresh even with Forces in mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Swing said:

Well, when it comes to story and characters in Sonic they do not really have to be good. But they do have to look and sound "cool". Sounding cool and looking cool was always inda the stick with Sonic.

They have to be considered good if they want people to buy their comics. Sonic can have good story and characters, you just need people to care enough to make those components worth while. Because if the Archie comics weren't "good" it wouldn't last to almost 300 issues or have many people disappointed that the Archie continuity isn't being carried over.

8 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

Because if the Archie comics weren't "good" it wouldn't last to almost 300 issues or have many people disappointed that the Archie continuity isn't being carried over.

Well I think Sonic's strongest point was never really the characters, but instead their design. The design and fan like creations kept Sonic and the Archie comics alive. At the end fans just want to have new characters not new stories. 

Not really. I mean what has a Hedgehog to do with running fast? Hedgehogs are very slow moving animals. Also why is a hedgehog considered the ultimative life form? Why van echidnas in this universe glide? What does a cat has to do with fire powers? Nothing makes scenes. 

34 minutes ago, Swing said:

Well I think Sonic's strongest point was never really the characters, but instead their design. The design and fan like creations kept Sonic and the Archie comics alive. At the end fans just want to have new characters not new stories. 

Why is it impossible to want both? And given how "divided" the fandom can be on practically everything what makes you so sure that every single fan just want the same story all the time?

• Thumbs Up 5

27 minutes ago, Swing said:

Not really. I mean what has a Hedgehog to do with running fast? Hedgehogs are very slow moving animals. Also why is a hedgehog considered the ultimative life form? Why van echidnas in this universe glide? What does a cat has to do with fire powers? Nothing makes scenes. 

I won't pretend I understand every design decision in Sonic, but it's not as if there's no logic whatsoever.  Sonic's ball form is related to his being a hedgehog, for instance, while Knuckles's knuckles are based on the burrowing claws of the real echidna.  Other characteristics evolve from internal logic; Blaze may well have fire powers by analogy to Sonic and wind, for instance.  Shadow looks like a hedgehog because he was designed to be a dark rival to Sonic, with his backstory having plainly come along later on.

Regardless, though, it's not as if story and character are binary opposites; neither means very much without the other.  A story with uninteresting characters is hard to get emotionally invested in, while great character design doesn't mean much if the character never gets to do anything.  People may have their preferences but the two are interdependent.  A successful comic needs good characters and good stories.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, FFWF said:

I thought it was pretty clear that the "new direction" for the comics was in relation to Archie, as a way of stating that the IDW comic would not be a continuation but a fresh approach, rather than any kind of statement about how it would relate to the games - and there was no chance of it being an entirely distinct product.  Brand unity is not likely to decrease at this time.

So far as the deployment of new characters goes, Ian is pretty clear in his interview that the new characters are about filling niches, but I also believe that it's probably related to setting out pieces on the board which might be useful later; giving himself an expanded toolbox.  Neither Rough and Tumble nor Tangle are wholly interchangeable with any existing character, and the fact that they exist gives him more options.  I don't think there's been any statement that any of the three are to be "regulars"; "recurring," which provides no information about the frequency with which they might recur, strikes me as more likely.  Rough and Tumble are explicitly small fry, after all.

The only thing that "new direction" really means right now is a character purge, nothing more. Especially if Sonic accepts joining the freedom fighters resistance.

3 hours ago, Swing said:

Well, when it comes to story and characters in Sonic they do not really have to be good. But they do have to look and sound "cool". Sounding cool and looking cool was always inda the stick with Sonic.

I can assure you growing up as a kid in the early early 90s character design had little do with why sonic was good and it was more the stories. Espically with issue 25 going forward with more stories being more serious in nature *took a few after 26* but they eventually started to have a plot. A crazy one now that i look back on how deep they tried to dig it. But starting over and with the game verse behind it from the offset hopefully its going to be good. Who knows maybe one day we can get a  sonic bishojo line.

Can anybody give me the updates from the latest Bumblekast? My internet is too inconsistant from all this snow to load a video right now.

9 hours ago, Slashy said:

Rough, Tumble, and Tangle are going to be regulars for a long running series, if they were story arc only characters then that would be a different story.

Well, Rough and Tumble are. Mr. Flynn has stated that Tangle wasn't meant to be a major recurring character, though there's always the chance that she'll come back more often thanks to the response.

9 hours ago, Slashy said:

Sticks is designed in a way where any of the main cast can disregard her so she doesn't affect the group dynamic, and didn't get as many focus episodes as the rest of the cast. If you remove Sticks, then little would change about the series except some amazing jokes from there. If Tangle really is how she is described, you know a "kindred spirit" to Sonic, she will affect the group dynamic.

Actually, you got that backwards: Sticks was clearly designed(or rather, promoted) to add a different point of view to Team Boom!Sonic, it's just that they neglected to actually use her that way much, particularly in the first season. Even then, we've still had numerous scenes and even stories where she either has some small clashing with the other characters or where she has to tolerate their differences in order to hang out.

Meanwhile, Tangle being a kindred spirit to Sonic basically means stories featuring here has two Sonics with different designs. That's not to say she can't be developed into something more, but on the offset, she's just an overtly front n' centered guest star.

2 hours ago, Swing said:

Porque no los dos? I want new stories with new characters.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

I can assure you growing up as a kid in the early early 90s character design had little do with why sonic was good and it was more the stories.

And I can assure you having lived in the early 90s myself that character design was a big factor in what helped Sonic stand out, be cool/fun and memorable. I'd go as far to say that it was roughly 30% what helped sold the series. I love stories too and wish the games focused bit more on story telling and especially do a better job on them... But stories by far hasn't been a huge selling point for the series outside the comics.

50 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

And I can assure you having lived in the early 90s myself that character design was a big factor in what helped Sonic stand out, be cool/fun and memorable. I'd go as far to say that it was roughly 30% what helped sold the series. I love stories too and wish the games focused bit more on story telling and especially do a better job on them... But stories by far hasn't been a huge selling point for the series outside the comics.

If that were true then by some logic we should have stuck with stories about magic frogs granting wishes and princess sally almost getting married to eggman cause he thinks shes a witch. As kids grew they pushed a more serious story and continued to do so instead of having us worry about tails needing bed time stories of the fantastic  four as he is sick. Even the megadrive issues which are some of the best and fresh takes on the comic in a long time while still fun and funny. I count those separate still had some nice action in it such as when the trio fought metal sonic and tore him a new one. Sure designs are needed for any series or story but without a good story to carry it the comic will eventually die off. Thats how so many others like transformers and others have stuck around so long. Granted i have no idea how archie keeps getting published.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I agree. The design of sonic characters is so unique that a base design could be made out by a silhouette. Hell, Sonic was more popular than Mickey Mouse at one point. But I am looking forward to some great storytelling and world building (especially world building).

• Thumbs Up 2

Amy in boom is better. She still likes sonic and has a love plush of him. So i can roll with that haha. Yet sonic likes her but is to proud to admit it. But I also like not being tossed into a pit of to many new characters to fast. I want to see more but I want to see them overtime. Not bam here are 20 new characters get use to it day 1

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

-Amy WON'T be potrayed like she was in Heroes. In fact, SEGA told Ian how Amy's affection for Sonic is to be portrayed, which is similar to Boom.
Tell me if I missed something. What are y'all's thoughts on this?

THANK. HEAVENS.

Amy can continue her streak of actually having a life outside of her crush! Now if Tails can go back to holding his own, I think we'll be all set!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 2

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

Oh dang.. the big bad SEGA mandates.. 

Think it's safe to say most if not all of the previous ones have carried over.

Well, we know that the character development mandate has been at least loosened.