Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

18 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdl

Following the weekly debut of Sonic the Hedgehog in April, Sega's new series with IDW Publishing continues in May with Sonic The Hedgehog #5 - and the return of Dr. Eggman.

"After four back-to-back weeks of Sonic goodness, fans are wondering: where is Dr. Eggman? Sonic’s greatest enemy is strangely quiet," said Sonicwriter Ian Flynn. "He disappeared after his last defeat, but you can’t keep evil scientist down! So where is he? What has he been up to? Readers will get all those answers and more in Sonic the Hedgehog #5!"

Here is the solicitation. Check back later this month for IDW's full May 2018 solicitations:

Sonic the Hedgehog #5
Ian Flynn (w) • Jamal Peppers (a) • Jamal Peppers (c)
“The Fate of Dr. Eggman,” Part 1. After his last battle with Sonic, Dr. Eggman’s gone quiet. His Badnik forces are still causing trouble, but without the bad doctor’s usual fanfare. What’s Eggman been doing all this time? And what will happen to Sonic when he finds out?
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 5/30/18

Sonic the Hedgehog #5—Cover B: Kieran Gates
Ian Flynn (w) • Jamal Peppers (a) • Kieran Gates (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.
Expected in-store date: 5/30/18
Bullet points:
- Guest starring: The Chaotix Detective Agency!
- Retailer Incentive: Order 10 copies, get one free variant cover by Nathalie Foudraine!

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 2

Hey, so, uh, I noticed this about the stated variant cover. 

- Guest starring: The Chaotix Detective Agency!

Why are they guest starring on one of the covers of an Eggman-centric story?

• Thumbs Up 1

I could see a Sonic without Eggman. It would be nice to have different enemies. And a lively world is typically made of more than just 2 factions.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

When I first saw that, I thought he was the secret villain, and Ian duped us out of our asses big time.

I don't think Eggman is the secret villain. I think that's the one that's going to be Flynn's year two plan.

38 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

After four back-to-back weeks of Sonic goodness, fans are wondering: where is Dr. Eggman?

Oddly enough, I don't think that thought has crossed my mind once

48 minutes ago, FlameStream said:

I could see a Sonic without Eggman. It would be nice to have different enemies. And a lively world is typically made of more than just 2 factions.

Having new, good villains is something this series needs, but I don't think that means we have to get rid of Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I could easily see them being involved in the plot of said issues. If you focus a story on Eggman being MIA or suspiciously quiet, I wouldn't doubt that Vector and crew wouldn't be hired at some point to track him down and see what he's up too.

Sonic will probably bump into them just as they are on the cusp of revealing the Docs latest and greatest plan to date.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Sonic is starting to look a little bit evil in some of these artworks.

He doesn't look evil. He looks smug, which has always been one of his defining traits.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, PublicEnemy1 said:

He doesn't look evil. He looks smug, which has always been one of his defining traits.

They need to tone down the smug Sonic then its very distasteful.

3 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Distasteful? There's nothing distasteful about it.

50 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Sonic is starting to look a little bit evil in some of these artworks.

Sonic does sometimes look a little devious.

40 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I could easily see them being involved in the plot of said issues. If you focus a story on Eggman being MIA or suspiciously quiet, I wouldn't doubt that Vector and crew wouldn't be hired at some point to track him down and see what he's up too.

Sonic will probably bump into them just as they are on the cusp of revealing the Docs latest and greatest plan to date.

Wonder if they'll work in a reference to the ending of Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Hey, so, uh, I noticed this about the stated variant cover. 

I always assumed Variant covers were just special covers that looked cool to collect, ie they don't have to be related to the actual story.

• Fist Bump 1

52 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

We all know Sonic's 'tude is just part of his signature personality. I'm afraid that's not happening.

Also, "distasteful"? I don't see it. As far as I know, the guy's never offended anyone in real life.

Just now, SonicWind said:

We all know Sonic's 'tude is a defining part of his personality. I'm afraid that's not happening.

I thought the same thing with Amy's personality to, but there is always room to give Sonic some more, "improvements".

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Sonic can really move, and he also has an attitude, this is the way he is

Unless he's Sonic 06 Sonic where he barely has that and is boring. 

2 hours ago, SonicWind said:

We all know Sonic's 'tude is just part of his signature personality. I'm afraid that's not happening.

Also, "distasteful"? I don't see it. As far as I know, the guy's never offended anyone in real life.

As a Sonic fan, you know full well millions are offended daily by Sonic's every move

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

39 minutes ago, Razule said:

As a Sonic fan, you know full well millions are offended daily by Sonic's every move

I think you mean Sonic fans are offended by other Sonic fans.....or really let's be honest, every fanbase in general is at war with each other over something XD

The vibe I'm getting is that Sonic goes into this issue assuming that Eggman's behind everything, only for it to turn out that the secret villain Ian's alluded to is pulling the strings.  Hopefully the solicitations won't spoil who it is, but they probably will.

Can't believe now people are kinda complaining about Eggman's presence XD

Cover looks good, but I'm a bit baffled that Eggman doesn't appear at all in the first 4 issues, at least he gets his own multi-parter though.

Still excited about that surprise secret villain...

Does anyone still have the Q&A or whatever it was where Ian talked about how they had to fight to keep the Freedom Fighters post Genesis Wave. Hence the redesigns etc. VEDJ-F possibly? Know you keep a lot of links and information etc. 

14 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

13 hours ago, Razule said:

Sonic can really move, and he also has an attitude, this is the way he is

13 hours ago, SonicWind said:

6 hours ago, FFWF said:

The vibe I'm getting is that Sonic goes into this issue assuming that Eggman's behind everything, only for it to turn out that the secret villain Ian's alluded to is pulling the strings.  Hopefully the solicitations won't spoil who it is, but they probably will.

Sonic looks like a creep that reveals in being a sociopath, not a Bugs Bunny type of cunning wit. Sonic comes off as Shadow at his smug and condescending versions which Ian failed to portray in his Archie run, he made Sonic too arrogant and smug in comparison to Shadow who was too serious and moody.