Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I went ahead and placed an order for the first four issues from my local comic book store just a few minutes ago. I never bothered with Archie, but I'm feeling very optimistic about this book. Should be a bit of fun, and four issues in the space of a single month will be an ideal way to see whether or not it's for me.

• Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

Sonic looks like a creep that reveals in being a sociopath, not a Bugs Bunny type of cunning wit. Sonic comes off as Shadow at his smug and condescending versions which Ian failed to portray in his Archie run, he made Sonic too arrogant and smug in comparison to Shadow who was too serious and moody. 

Isn't that basically the way it was since after Battle or his own game, though?

9 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

If they do go with a Sonic/MLP crossover, how huge will the salt mines be?

Pretty big.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

3 minutes ago, ShadowSJG said:

I'd actually really like to see one honestly.

Seconded. There's a lot of possibilities to collide.

For example, it'd be interesting to see if Equestria Girls logic applies and how.

I'm still waiting for IDW to pick up the Archie Mega Man comic and continue it so we can have World Nexus

This time, we can have every SEGA game universe, Capcom universes, and IDW comics like.. the Teenage Mutant Ninja Terrapins!

• Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, Razule said:

I'm still waiting for IDW to pick up the Archie Mega Man comic and continue it so we can have World Nexus

This time, we can have every SEGA game universe, Capcom universes, and IDW comics like.. the Teenage Mutant Ninja Terrapins!

Hmm, won't be surprised if they did a hard reboot on Mega man too. 

I sincerely hope IDW will give us more "unusual" mobians like insects. Maybe try different bodies on the girls too.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

I sincerely hope IDW will give us more "unusual" mobians like insects. Maybe try different bodies on the girls too.

Thunderbolt and Nephtys were a start.

2 hours ago, Razule said:

I think we're waiting for anyone to start back up the Archie Mega Man comic period.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Thunderbolt and Nephtys were a start.

I did like Thunderbolt's round design. Idk if Neph counted as different since she's just tall. I guess her being pretty old(er) is new.  Too bad they stopped there, especially for the Angular fish lady...they're supposed to be ugly!

A trend I didn't like for post-reboot Archie's design was the frequent use of muscular body types (inverted triangle, similar to Vector and Storm) for the big guys. The original bark was more, ellipsoid? round? and pre-reboot Rotor looked more fat, but both were changed to the same shape. Maybe they wanted to "play safe", but there's Big who is a sphere/egg.

2 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

I sincerely hope IDW will give us more "unusual" mobians like insects.

Probably wouldn't look too different from the usual fair considering Charmy and the reboot sea creatures.

13 hours ago, ShadowSJG said:

If they do go with a Sonic/MLP crossover, how huge will the salt mines be?

I don't think it would be a lot of salt

Some people will make weird jokes occaionally, but I feel like most people wouldn't care

12 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Seconded. There's a lot of possibilities to collide.

For example, it'd be interesting to see if Equestria Girls logic applies and how.

If you mean they turn into people? Nah sega ain't letting that happen. If you mean the horses turn into anthros, that would be interesting. But I would require the sonic characters to become quadrupeds upon entering the MLP universe and sega also isn't letting that happen.

There might be a lot of crossover concepts

Like Nightmare Shadow, a concept who's mere utterance lines the pockets of Hasbro and Sega with dollars they didn't even know were there

18 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Isn't that basically the way it was since after Battle or his own game, though?

He was hammy as hell in Shth and before that Heroes.

I know that Ian mentioned none of the characters created for Archie would be returning but I certainly wish we'd get more Thunderbolt. I genuinely enjoy that tiny crazy chinchilla.

With this fresh start in the books and how Forces had a more "Mobian" (or whatever the correct term is now) population, I wonder if we will see the team maybe reach out to someone like Ian for ideas in the future for potential stories and characters. If I am not mistaken I think they had him write a few episodes on the Boom series already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Fist Bump 1

I'm noticing that there are still people (not here, mind you. Just in general) complaining that Ian will be taking the comic with less worldbuilding, character development, and lore at the start. Some didn't read the tweets at all. I hope that they'll soon understand that we'll get into the meat of the world some time.

That's nice. Plain, but nice enough.

How many variant covers are there going to be, and how many have we already seen.

From what I remember, five for the first issue, four for the remaining issues in the ones coming out weekly. We've seen two variants of one and one each of the rest. 

It's unusual for Sonic comics (which in the Archie era had three variants once, two on special occasions and one any other time), but common practice for IDW. 

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

From what I remember, five for the first issue, four for the remaining issues in the ones coming out weekly. We've seen two variants of one and one each of the rest. 

It's unusual for Sonic comics (which in the Archie era had three variants once, two on special occasions and one any other time), but common practice for IDW. 

Actually, the most variants that Archie Sonic ever had was 7 and a half for Sonic Universe 75.

6 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Actually, the most variants that Archie Sonic ever had was 7 and a half for Sonic Universe 75.

"And a half...?"

Oh, I remember that now. Forgive me, I prefer to forget that little period. 

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

"And a half...?"

One of the variants was a variant of a variant. 

• Thumbs Up 1