Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I hope Ian doesn't place shadow in humorous experiences like he did in the Archie books, shadow is one of those few characters that can do without an abundance of humor at his expense, that' why I hated archie's take on his character since it devalues his concept of being a darker and serious side of sonic. His theme is being too threatenig for Sonic to make casual jokes at and it kills his uniqueness in being pretty much the rare few characters that actually brings a serious moment in plots when he shows up, plus hes not a second Knuckles as far as being mocked for his flaws goes, hes the one who does the mocking and the trash talking(not as jokes but blunt insensitive jabs) to characters that are foolish, weak and irritating to him.

I hated that archie Shadow never gave a cold retort to Sonic and Knuckles during pre and post reboot despite all the insults hurled at him.

Thank you for the answers, everyone.

I've pre-ordered the comic, including the variant covers mentioned on that strange "pre-order form" that IDW prepared. I'd like to get all of them, but not without seeing them first.

11 hours ago, Dash Speed said:

I hope Ian doesn't place shadow in humorous experiences like he did in the Archie books, shadow is one of those few characters that can do without an abundance of humor at his expense, that' why I hated archie's take on his character since it devalues his concept of being a darker and serious side of sonic. His theme is being too threatenig for Sonic to make casual jokes at and it kills his uniqueness in being pretty much the rare few characters that actually brings a serious moment in plots when he shows up, plus hes not a second Knuckles as far as being mocked for his flaws goes, hes the one who does the mocking and the trash talking(not as jokes but blunt insensitive jabs) to characters that are foolish, weak and irritating to him.

I hated that archie Shadow never gave a cold retort to Sonic and Knuckles during pre and post reboot despite all the insults hurled at him.

I don't really mind shadow being in funny situations, or being funny himself. Shadow as a blunt no bullshit guy has the potential to be... pretty funny if he ever communicated some of the mean things he is probably thinking. I think shadow being funny is fine and potentially humanized...hedgehogizes? The character.

What I don't want him to be, is put into too many to which it becomes.... bad fast. And two for him to be some new writers bane, like some new writer doesn't like edgy things so they'll poo on shadow. Or Make him suck because they don't like the character. Now odds of that happening with Ian as the head writer as of currently, Sega on the one's and two's and the general level of professionalism in idw vs archie problably wont allow that to happen. But I read other comic book publishers and that sort of thing still happens to this day, someone wont like a character or will want to use a character to make some grand point, and fuck it up real bad and in some ways ruin that character for some in the future.

So I hope that doesn't happen...again. Because it happened before in the pre-reboot, multiple times   

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't really mind shadow being in funny situations, or being funny himself. Shadow as a blunt no bullshit guy has the potential to be... pretty funny if he ever communicated some of the mean things he is probably thinking. I think shadow being funny is fine and potentially humanized...hedgehogizes? The character.

What I don't want him to be, is put into too many to which it becomes.... bad fast. And two for him to be some new writers bane, like some new writer doesn't like edgy things so they'll poo on shadow. Or Make him suck because they don't like the character. Now odds of that happening with Ian as the head writer as of currently, Sega on the one's and two's and the general level of professionalism in idw vs archie problably wont allow that to happen. But I read other comic book publishers and that sort of thing still happens to this day, someone wont like a character or will want to use a character to make some grand point, and fuck it up real bad and in some ways ruin that character for some in the future.

So I hope that doesn't happen...again. Because it happened before in the pre-reboot, multiple times   

As long as it' like Sonic boom where' completely dominate and comically serious with being a part of the joke. Shadows already human enough for fans to give him depth, we don' need to see him being lighthearted about things since it ruins his discrepancy between the cast.

We hit 200 pages and issue 1 didnt even come out! That's great!

We must support this comic so it reaches at least 100 issues (+ a potential Sonic Universe series!).

36 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

We hit 200 pages and issue 1 didnt even come out! That's great!

We must support this comic so it reaches at least 100 issues (+ a potential Sonic Universe series!).

Eh, I suppose.

I'm surprised we wasted so much man hours on discussing something that technically doesn't yet exist.

(I know, there are Tangle and other sneak-peaks. But my point still stands.)

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

That's... not new information , it's been like that since post-reboot. Figured it'd be the same. There's nothing to call the characters in the games either beyond animals.

Well, actually even post-reboot got away with calling them Mobians at one point. So this is even stricter. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

That's... not new information , it's been like that since post-reboot.

Not exactly.

Not only did post-reboot still have Mobotropolis, but the term Mobian was used on one of the graphic novel concept art pages, and "Mobini" was even used in one story.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

8 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Well, actually even post-reboot got away with calling them Mobians at one point. So this is even stricter. 

Even the social media referenced Mobius when advertising the Christmas album.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

There's a Christmas album?

A FAKE Christmas album they “advertised” as another gag.

• Chuckle 2

36 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

There's a Christmas album?

This post here:

(tbh someone needs to make "I Saw Knuckles Hitting Santa Claus" a reality)

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Here's the thing; I wouldn't take the social media jokes at face value, or an indication of anything in regards to what the series stance is on certain terms and continuity placements. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1

2 minutes ago, NikoS said:

This post here:

That is wonderful!

I love how they had to use Grandma got ran over by a Reindeer twice.

Also, "It Came upon a Speenrun?"

Eggman Baby

Amy It's Cold Outside

:joy::blink:

3 minutes ago, NikoS said:

Eggman: Hoho--OW!

• Thumbs Up 2

59 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

58 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Not exactly.

Not only did post-reboot still have Mobotropolis, but the term Mobian was used on one of the graphic novel concept art pages, and "Mobini" was even used in one story.

Ah, right. Well.. maybe it's time the old Western concepts were blinked out completely..?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

Probably so to be honest, at least for Mobius. Sonic Team have made it clear for a long time that they really did not want to use Mobius. Whether through them not picking up the name in internationalisation, the fact they used Earth specifically at one point during the noughties era or being adamant about it not being used in the comic. 

Given that Sonic was slated to be born on Christmas Island from the very start (it's a real place), Sonic Team probably have always known what their world is, and don't see any point in adopting a term that came later. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

12 minutes ago, Razule said:

Ah, right. Well.. maybe it's time the old Western concepts were blinked out completely..?

Same reason why Eggman is allegedly his birth name in Boom? 

14 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Not known. The solicit doesn't really indicate them being present though.

They are mentioned in the solicitation for Sonic #5's B cover, although it could be just for that cover.

Sonic the Hedgehog #5—Cover B: Kieran Gates
Ian Flynn (w) • Jamal Peppers (a) • Kieran Gates (c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.
Expected in-store date: 5/30/18
Bullet points:
– Guest starring: The Chaotix Detective Agency!
– Retailer Incentive: Order 10 copies, get one free variant cover by Nathalie Foudraine!

• Nice Smile 1