Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

7 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

They are mentioned in the solicitation for Sonic #5's B cover, although it could be just for that cover.

Thank you for using my quotes from this thread for the article. (and I'm not being sarcastic. I am genuinely flattered.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hoping that Ian doesn't make Rouge into a villain like in TTT, because after hearing how he interprets her as seeing Shadow as just a possession (granted this was almost 4 years ago, so a lot could have changed), it really makes me wonder if he actually understands some of the characters.

26 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm hoping that Ian doesn't make Rouge into a villain like in TTT, because after hearing how he interprets her as seeing Shadow as just a possession (granted this was almost 4 years ago, so a lot could have changed), it really makes me wonder if he actually understands some of the characters.

Wait, Flynn said "Rouge sees Shadow as possession"? Can I get a quote?

Archie!Rouge was written as more of a villain (or at least more gray) than in the games for awhile. Especially since Julie-Su was around and they wouldn't back away from her being Knuckles' soul-mate before she with the rest of the non-Knuckles Echidnas were kicked out of canon. And as someone who's fond of the interpretation that Rouge was playing both Eggman and United Federation government in Sonic Adventure 2, I can't say I have an issue with a more villainous (or at least less of a sure heroine who just acts mean on occasion) Rouge.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Wait, Flynn said "Rouge sees Shadow as possession"? Can I get a quote?

Apparently he said it on BumbleKing.

4 minutes ago, Almar said:

Archie!Rouge was written as more of a villain (or at least more gray) than in the games for awhile. Especially since Julie-Su was around and they wouldn't back away from her being Knuckles' soul-mate before she with the rest of the non-Knuckles Echidnas were kicked out of canon. And as someone who's fond of the interpretation that Rouge was playing both Eggman and United Federation government in Sonic Adventure 2, I can't say I have an issue with a more villainous (or at least less of a sure heroine who just acts mean on occasion) Rouge.

She seemed to have gotten a lot more heroic after the SGW at least.

36 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Apparently he said it on BumbleKing.

She seemed to have gotten a lot more heroic after the SGW at least.

Was he aware that StcO went with a wholly evil Rouge?

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

He can't read 'fanfics'. Apparently legally it makes sure he doesn't steal other people ideas.

• Thumbs Up 3

StCO is also based on StC, which never even reached SA2 and didn't have SEGA enforce their mandates on character behaviour, so it's bound to be wildly different when used as a foundation. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

17 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Even then, you can make an argument that it's because of how she was raised and she does seem to now work with GUN.

What bothered me about Ian's statement is that it exaggerates Rouge's greed to just being an awful person.

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Oh, so she's Greed? That sounds like it could interesting if written in just right.

2 hours ago, Almar said:

You know, I thought she was still more villainous in Archie preboot due to the way Misters Penders and Bollers wrote her, but thinking back to what I remember, she was technically a good guy in most of the appearances that I recall without visiting the wiki.

Like, I know she was meant to provide some minute conflict with Knuckles since not only was that the purpose behind her inception, but Knuckles really had a lot of complex material going around him even with Mr. Flynn's trimming, but it is a little odd once I really think about it. 

14 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, so she's Greed? That sounds like it could interesting if written in just right.

That's the thing. Ian and the other Preboot writers had the tendency to overdo that trait where she's willing to let an entire dimension be destroyed so she can get an emerald.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

That's the thing. He tends to overdo that trait where she's willing to let an entire dimension be destroyed so she can get an emerald.

Well, it was that one time. Plus, that arc was essentially "Four Teams(including the newly named Hooligans) want the same thing--GO!," so I don't see as much of an issue outside of the bigger implication.

• Thumbs Up 1

Way back when the...quirks of Rouge's nature in the comic was first brought up, I thought it was an interesting take (while still disagreeing with it being played up as much as TTT did). But now I've had four years to reflect on it, it's just a massive contradiction of her character to play her like that. 

And I'm pretty sure Ian's learned that too in the intervening four years. When someone brings up her character potentially being morally ambiguous and his response is that she's been played as a straight-up good guy (self-serving, but good) for most of her appearances, I don't think anything like Treasure Team Tango will crop up again. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

Yeah, admittedly Rouge Motives were one black spot on the otherwise perfect arc.

I mean, if Sol DImension wasn't going to die, then it would be fine, same levels of ethics as Sonic X Rouge.

But honestly, that was one time. I heard opposite complains, that Rouge never had a chance to do anything morally vague (after she ditched Scourge anyway), which cheapens her character and that is also true. (To put it simply Rouge in Preboot and Reboot just could use a story or two where she isn't tied to Team Dark and Shadow).

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Rouge didnt seem to have a problem with the world being destroyed in SA2.

She filled two roles: the double agent (for Shadow and Eggman's story), and the jewel stealer (for Knuckles's story).

• Fist Bump 1

I suppose a possible compromise would be to give her a shady past whilst emphasising her current alliance with the forces of goodness.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

On the subject of bad guys, I'm hoping all the antagonist characters have redeeming qualities and stuff to make them likeable. I don't like when writers go out of their way to make me hate a character, especially when it's someone I don't want to hate.

5 minutes ago, FFWF said:

I suppose a possible compromise would be to give her a shady past whilst emphasising her current alliance with the forces of goodness.

Exactly; for example, maybe when she was younger she was part of a gang.

44 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I'm pretty sure she did, which is why she helped during Cannon's Core.

• Thumbs Up 3

On the subject of Rouge, anyone else realize how overly skilled she is, context or not? 

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

She filled two roles: the double agent (for Shadow and Eggman's story), and the jewel stealer (for Knuckles's story).

Yeah, when replaying the Dark Story a few years back, it was kinda funny how much she seemed to be riding Eggman's nuts.

With that said, I think her plan was always to collect info from the ARK for GUN in exchange for jewels, use Eggman's Emerald Detector in order to collect the Master Emerald Shards, and then take the Chaos Emeralds from the Eclipse Cannon at the eleventh hour, since Shadow eventually caught her in the act.

54 minutes ago, FFWF said:

That's more or less what they tend to do anyway, TTT aside.

57 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Exactly; for example, maybe when she was younger she was part of a gang.

How ironic, given her preboot history.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

The only thing about that idea to give alignment nuance to Rouge is...well, they can't really imply anything about her past. 

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

The only thing about that idea to give alignment nuance to Rouge is...well, they can't really imply anything about her past. 

Why do you think so?

So, Tracy posted some sketches he did on Savannah Comic Con, and we got the first appearance of Yardley!Tangle:

DW5FB8AUMAAjiVn.jpg

(I'm so glad he is returning for this new comic)

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Nice Smile 1