Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 minutes ago, NikoS said:

So, Tracy posted some sketches he did on Savannah Comic Con, and we got the first appearance of Yardley!Tangle:

DW5FB8AUMAAjiVn.jpg

(I'm so glad he is returning for this new comic)

Ew, she looks kind of emanciated.

Who is that in the background?

4 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Because not going into backstory beyond that of the games is a mandate. 

OK, I didn't see that in the mandate list. Like, at all.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Ew, she looks kind of emanciated.

Who is that in the background?

I think that's one of the gals from Cosmo.

1 minute ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

It definitely is one. Even Sonic Boom ran into that issue when they tried to make some origins for Sonic (remember that concept art with a young Eggman?), because SEGA shot that idea right down because they weren't allowed to do it, despite being so obviously not the mainline continuity. 

• Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

It's technically in line with implying the characters have aged outside of specific cases.

Ah, of course. I haven't read the two issues I've gotten yet, so I honestly wasn't thinking. The two Sonic characters also confused me.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

It's technically in line with implying the characters have aged outside of specific cases.

But both of those are averted in the last few issues of the comic. It not only shows Classic Sonic (which was also a mandate), but it's very likely to be a younger version of our Sonic, therefore, a backstory. Also, David said that there would be the world and what it was in the past, as well as going more in-depth with Sonic, which means we might see an actual backstory somewhere down the line. I know I posted that line here; it's just a few pages back.

But both of those are averted in the last few issues of the comic. It not only shows Classic Sonic (which was also a mandate), but it's very likely to be a younger version of our Sonic, therefore, a backstory. Also, David said that there would be the world and what it was in the past, as well as going more in-depth with Sonic, which means we might see an actual backstory somewhere down the line. I know I posted that line here; it's just a few pages back.

Hence why I said "outside of specific cases." And since it was for the 25th anniversary and Mania was in production, that certainly counts.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

But both of those are averted in the last few issues of the comic. It not only shows Classic Sonic (which was also a mandate), but it's very likely to be a younger version of our Sonic, therefore, a backstory.

The classic Sonic one was likely lifted for the occasion going on in the games, but the latter thing was one of Ian's tricky workarounds, because while it shows those events, it doesn't explicitly say that's his past. It seems weird because it can be inferred, but it's the same logic that made classic Eggman usable by just having him in silhouette all the time. It's still a mandate that's there.

Now classic Sonic is explicitly a different Sonic, it's likely even harder to do that. 

Also, David said that there would be the world and what it was in the past, as well as going more in-depth with Sonic, which means we might see an actual backstory somewhere down the line. I know I posted that line here; it's just a few pages back.

That statement seems vague and could mean a lot of things. "What it was in the past" could mean in relation to Forces and how places were before they were attacked, for example. And the Archie comic went more in-depth with Sonic technically, didn't mean doing that. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

8 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

OK, can you guys stop shooting all my hopes down? I'm trying to have high hopes for this comic.

Welcome to my world when Sonic Forces was coming out.

Anyway, I thought Rouge was perfect in Sonic X. Stealing, but never choosing pretty gems over somebody's life or the friccking planet. Grey morality is what made her so entertaining.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

11 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Welcome to my world when Sonic Forces was coming out.

Anyway, I thought Rouge was perfect in Sonic X. Stealing, but never choosing pretty gems over somebody's life or the friccking planet. Grey morality is what made her so entertaining.

Is it really a question of morality with her, though?

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

That would fall under "no character development" I believe.

Why can't Sega ease up on their mandates? All they're going to do is ensure that any original characters will be more interesting than the ones from the games.

• Fist Bump 2

4 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Why can't Sega ease up on their mandates? All they're going to do is ensure that any original characters will be more interesting than the ones from the games.

To be fair, that's generally the case anyway.

Besides, SEGA is just protecting their property and keeping the characters from deviating too much from what their supposed to be in their [then-current] vision.

• Nice Smile 1

So, what if Mobius was Re-imagined as an alien world that Sonic and company manage to visit, ala Planet Wisp?

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

So, what if Mobius was Re-imagined as an alien world that Sonic and company manage to visit, ala Planet Wisp?

And...?

10 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Keep in mind that without mandates, we got the Penders/Bollers comics. I understand that some of the mandates can be strict, but Sonic is still SEGA's IP.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

And...?

There they... meet the Freedom fighters of that alien planet? 

• Nice Smile 1

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, that's generally the case anyway.

Besides, SEGA is just protecting their property and keeping the characters from deviating too much from what their supposed to be in their [then-current] vision.

And what are they supposed to be exactly?

3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Keep in mind that without mandates, we got the Penders/Bollers comics. I understand that some of the mandates can be strict, but Sonic is still SEGA's IP.

I don't care. They're still being too draconian.

• Fist Bump 1

12 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

There they... meet the Freedom fighters of that alien planet? 

Where they fight back against the tyranny of Slimer?

Maybe instead of putting the restrictions up to ensure another Penders/Bollars fiasco doesn't happen, they could, I dunno, actually pay attention to what they're doing to make sure they're not taking liberties?

That's like a parent banning their kid from ever watching TV because they can't be arsed to make sure whatever their kid is watching is appropriate.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 2
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Razule said:

That would fall under "no character development" I believe.

Yes, but you got the mandate wrong. They can have character development, just with SEGA's permission. I think SEGA themselves will allow a lot more for that, judging by Marriotte's post.

2 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Maybe instead of putting the restrictions up to ensure another Penders/Bollars fiasco doesn't happen, they could, I dunno, actually pay attention to what they're doing to make sure they're not taking liberties?

That's like a parent banning their kid from ever watching TV because they can't be arsed to make sure whatever their kid is watching is appropriate.

See the thing is, despite how this much the mandates stipulation gets brought up, the Archie comics DID have a lot of artistic freedom.

Plus, each issue had to be finally approved by representatives of SEGA anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Maybe they just don't want their characters to be incorrectly represented. 

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe they just don't want their characters to be incorrectly represented. 

Maybe they should do a better job representing the characters.

• Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Splash the Otter said:

Maybe they should do a better job representing the characters.

Well, yeah, but.. if they don't do things, why would they let other people do the things they won't do

• Nice Smile 1