Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Can we just say that IDW will most likely be looser than Archie so that you guys can stop bringing my hopes down?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Can we just say that IDW will most likely be looser than Archie so that you guys can stop bringing my hopes down?

I've already lost all hope. This comic is going to suck.

11 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

To an extent

• Nice Smile 1

5 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

I've already lost all hope. This comic is going to suck.

Why do you say that?

5 minutes ago, Razule said:

To an extent

Well, that's good. That's a step closer.

5 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Why do you say that?

One thing I really liked about the original Archie Sonic is that it did its own thing instead of being faithful to the source material, which allowed it to have its own identity. With all these mandates, there's no chance of that happening now.

2 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

One thing I really liked about the original Archie Sonic is that it did its own thing instead of being faithful to the source material, which allowed it to have its own identity. With all these mandates, there's no chance of that happening now.

Ummm, even the Post-Reboot, with all of its mandates, was still its own thing. Ian keeps saying that this will be a new comic. It'll start game-centric, and move on to different things from there. Also, read @Shaddy the Zaphod's post.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

Yeah, admittedly, while I enjoyed the reboot setup a little more, there was something special about having 20+ years of continuity under different writers, editors, franchise images, and even subseries being consolidated, reconciled, and streamlined under Misters Flynn, Pellerito, and Kaminski's control.

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

They were able to do their own thing mostly because there wasn't much source material back then. And he was still able to make a world post 2013 reboot.

• Nice Smile 1

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, admittedly, while I enjoyed the reboot setup a little more, there was something special about having 20+ years of continuity under different writers, editors, franchise images, and even subseries being consolidated, reconciled, and streamlined under Misters Flynn, Pellerito, and Kaminski's control.

I hope it branches off to that point, one day.

• Promotion 1

Just now, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Can y'all calm the fuck down? We haven't even seen a single page of this thing and you're already saying it's doomed to failure? 

The whole reason this discussion is happening is because it's unclear what will and will not be regulated and/or subject to change. The only way we'll actually have that answered is by the word of Ian himself, or by reading the damn thing. Personally, I think that Ian has worked fine under heavy mandates before, and even if SEGA keeps the comic from reaching an unrealistically godly potential, it's not going to immediately suck because of it. It's already going to betray the source material by being written well. There's no real or conclusive evidence one way or another though, so I'd rather we refrain from breaking down crying until we actually have any indication at all of what this book's going to be like. Because at the moment, all we have are covers. And the general tone and feel from those isn't exactly consistent.

SrlXnNM.jpg

As long as Amy's not a sentient hammer I'll be fine but it looks like that's where there headed anyway.

On 2/24/2018 at 5:17 PM, Sgt Nate V said:

http://www.tssznews.com/2018/02/21/idw-update-mobian-banned-term-unlimited-story-arcs-how-to-pre-order-more/

That's fucking stupid.

How the hell are we gonna call the characters now?

Why is SEGA actively trying to erase all that made Sonic better than it currently is?

I mean, this doesn't really mean anything to me since I've gone a good 16 or so years since being introduced to the Sonic series without ever having to refer to them as Mobians once. Honestly, I don't think the word has ever even left my mouth before. I suppose that's the advantage of just being married to the continuity separate from SatAM and the Comics back in their hayday. I got into those comics at around Issue 196 so I doubted I was going to start calling them Mobians by that point anyway. 

I'm not sure about it being a part of something that erases all that made Sonic better than it currently is. When I think of Sonic being better than it currently is, I think of a plethora of stuff, but a made up name for the anthropomorphic citizens of the planet is admittedly pretty far down on my list. That said, I can understand the position of someone who deems it necessary in certain situations.

Just referring to Sonic as a hedgehog and Tails as a fox has worked well for me so far though. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Honestly, this whole "Mobius" bullshit just needs to die. 

Sega never referred to it as that in the games, and the only things that did, were these faulty cartoons and comics, that were based on said cartoons. 

And now, that there is a comic that's not based on a cartoon, then... Maybe it's better to just call Sonic's planet "Earth"? Like, there is a "Moon" and a "Sun", not some "Alpha-Centauros", so I suppose that it's better off to call Sonic's world "Earth".

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Can y'all calm the fuck down? We haven't even seen a single page of this thing and you're already saying it's doomed to failure? 

The whole reason this discussion is happening is because it's unclear what will and will not be regulated and/or subject to change. The only way we'll actually have that answered is by the word of Ian himself, or by reading the damn thing. Personally, I think that Ian has worked fine under heavy mandates before, and even if SEGA keeps the comic from reaching an unrealistically godly potential, it's not going to immediately suck because of it. It's already going to betray the source material by being written well. There's no real or conclusive evidence one way or another though, so I'd rather we refrain from breaking down crying until we actually have any indication at all of what this book's going to be like. Because at the moment, all we have are covers. And the general tone and feel from those isn't exactly consistent.

SrlXnNM.jpg

I feel a lot of people are interpreting everything as negatively as possible. I'll understand if they determined so after the first few issues, but at this point I feel 90% of it is personal opinion and grasping at straws.

Side note, that cover reminded me: I really wonder what species are the red girls? Also the girl on the left has...toes? I just realized there is an orange, white-fluff-tail girl behind Amy. 

32 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I mean, this doesn't really mean anything to me since I've gone a good 16 or so years since being introduced to the Sonic series without ever having to refer to them as Mobians once. Honestly, I don't think the word has ever even left my mouth before. I suppose that's the advantage of just being married to the continuity separate from SatAM and the Comics back in their hayday. I got into those comics at around Issue 196 so I doubted I was going to start calling them Mobians by that point anyway. 

I'm not sure about it being a part of something that erases all that made Sonic better than it currently is. When I think of Sonic being better than it currently is, I think of a plethora of stuff, but a made up name for the anthropomorphic citizens of the planet is admittedly pretty far down on my list. That said, I can understand the position of someone who deems it necessary in certain situations.

Just referring to Sonic as a hedgehog and Tails as a fox has worked well for me so far though. 

Same.

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, A person, that exists said:

Honestly, this whole "Mobius" bullshit just needs to die. 

Sega never referred to it as that in the games, and the only things that did, were these faulty cartoons and comics, that were based on said cartoons. 

And now, that there is a comic that's not based on a cartoon, then... Maybe it's better to just call Sonic's planet "Earth"? Like, there is a "Moon" and a "Sun", not some "Alpha-Centauros", so I suppose that it's better off to call Sonic's world "Earth".

Personally, I have absolutely zero problems with Sega and IDW not using that word... but I still will.

Shortest reason: "Mobian" rolls tongue better than "furry", "antro" or (to avoid deviantart language) "talking animal that walks on two".

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Oooh Boy, so there is no proper way of calling the world other than Sonic's World and people are gonna be called people? That means the book is doomed!

Seriously, we've had those mandates before aside from a few exceptions, and still I don't see how this is important, it's just details, I'm actually glad the mandates exist, they are needed mostly to:

1. Keep Sonic and friends in-character

2. Don't deviate from what the games are about

3. No shipping drama/wars

The only one I'm not thrilled to have are the "no origins or past" mandate, for the rest, I think Sonic fans always overreact, Sonic will have his emotions and he will be able to grow and develop without going out of character, he can do that in the games and he even said it himself in Forces.

My main focus is having the characters written well and having a good story, right now I'm kinda eh on the fact that Eggman only shows up in issue 5.

So, maybe I haven't been following the last pages, but, aside from this, what are people worried about, exactly?

• Fist Bump 1

7 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

Also the girl on the left has...toes?

One of the unlockable OC shoes in Forces are sandals that magically give your OC a toe.

• Nice Smile 1

While I was curious whether they'd actually name the world, I'm more interested to see whether the comic will use the somewhat vague 'two worlds' set up that Sonic Team's kinda sorta had floating around for years - if they do, I wouldn't mind seeing that particular plot anomaly finally defined in a faintly sensible way.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Sgt Nate V said:

One of the unlockable OC shoes in Forces are sandals that magically give your OC a toe.

Two toes

But perhaps the blob feet are simply shaped by the sandals?

• Nice Smile 1

11 minutes ago, Razule said:

Two toes

But perhaps the blob feet are simply shaped by the sandals?

Essentially. You need toes to properly wear sandals, even if you have to make them yourself.

• Nice Smile 1

So Big the Cat is wearing full shoes that look like sandals on the block-shaped feat.I know, technical limitations. Even if they keep his feet like that, I don't care. It's just feet.

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

So Big the Cat is wearing full shoes that look like sandals on the block-shaped feat.I know, technical limitations. Even if they keep his feet like that, I don't care.

No, he's wearing sandals that don't shape his feet

• Nice Smile 1