Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Huh. You think they'd just do what the comic encyclopedia did and have them share a page.

Is Omega in the book at all?

A portion of his Sonic Channel art is included with everyone else playable on the Sonic Heroes page.

• Nice Smile 1

I like to imagine that modern Sonic pre-Adventure looked like his old SA1 Dreamcast model, which still had a bit of classic elements to it.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Razule said:

Considering the Classic alternate dimension thing, I wonder how he'll look in flashbacks to the pre-Adventure games.

• Exactly the same as his current design, because characters can't age
  • Chibi Modern Sonic
  • Using Classic design, but not explicitly saying it's the past, or Modern's memories

Americanized Sonic as a nod to that era. Or maybe that as a future Classic Sonic.

• Nice Smile 1

So something that I've been wondering is what would be an excellent way to use overpowered characters like Blaze and Shadow without hitting them with the Worf effect like in the Archie comics. Prefer if you guys kept things civil with this as I know how people tend to get aggressive when talking about Shadow's power level.

13 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

So something that I've been wondering is what would be an excellent way to use overpowered characters like Blaze and Shadow without hitting them with the Worf effect like in the Archie comics. Prefer if you guys kept things civil with this as I know how people tend to get aggressive when talking about Shadow's power level.

By having them function more like they do in gameplay and not spam and/or overblow the extent of their abilities.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

By having them function more like they do in gameplay and not spam and/or overblow the extent of their abilities.

Can you explain a little more?

6 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Can you explain a little more?

Exactly what I said. 

Blaze should be much more like she is in 06, while Shadow should play like Dark Sonic with some punches, kicks, and flurrys with an occasional Chaos Spear thrown in. 

Blaze is the worst about this in practice, as you can tell.

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Exactly what I said. 

Blaze should be much more like she is in 06, while Shadow should play like Dark Sonic with some punches, kicks, and flurrys with an occasional Chaos Spear thrown in. 

Blaze is the worst about this, as you can tell.

You mean gameplay-wise, right; because she seemed rather flat in '06 compared to the Rush games and yeah, she arguably got nerfed more than Shadow given that in every arc she made a major appearance, she was either defeated easily or kidnapped. 

29 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Well.. is Blaze really that powerful? Sure, she's got firebending, but..

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

You mean gameplay-wise, right;

No, I mean in the comics. 06 is more what their fighting styles should be. 

because she seemed rather flat in '06 compared to the Rush games and yeah, she arguably got nerfed 

Flat? Nerfed?

I know it's been a while, but almost every comic appearance I remember Blaze making had her act and/or be treated as this overpowered "One good hit and I win" force that overplayed her fire abilities into primarily being the standard Flamethrower attack.

This completely ignored the fact that her playable main game appearances and her boss theme from Rush were emphasizing a Hispanic dance-based form of combat and maneuvering, solely to show off that she's potentially very powerful--too powerful to write for.

in every arc she made a major appearance, she was either digested easily or kidnapped. 

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was Chun-Nan food involved in her comic appearances.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

No, I mean in the comics. 06 is more what their fighting styles should be. 

Flat? Nerfed?

I know it's been a while, but almost every comic appearance I remember Blaze making had her act and/or be treated as this overpowered "One good hit and I win" force that overplayed her fire abilities into primarily being the standard Flamethrower attack.

This completely ignored the fact that her playable main game appearances and her boss theme from Rush were emphasizing a Hispanic dance-based form of combat and maneuvering, solely to show off that she's potentially very powerful--too powerful to write for.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was Chun-Nan food involved in her comic appearances.

What I meant was that she didn't have much of a personality in her '06 portrayal as she was more a satellite character towards Silver and while nerfed probably wasn't the best word to use, I mean that she was often defeated in one shot (Swat bot, Rouge, Captain Silver and one of this goons). 

3 minutes ago, Razule said:

Well.. is Blaze really that powerful? Sure, she's got firebending, but..

Wasn't she meant to be Sonic's equal in terms of combat?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

What I meant was that she didn't have much of a personality in her '06 portrayal as she was more a satellite character towards Silver and while nerfed probably wasn't the best word to use, I mean that she was often defeated in one shot (Swat bot, Rouge, Captain Metal and one of this goons). 

Oh, well we were talking about her powerset and fighting style--the latter of which she has little of outside most of the games.

The fact that they apparently felt obligated to portray her as being very powerful led to them having to find excuses to keep her from being able to fight much and quickly end any conflict.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

What are some fan-artists you think could join to do covers or even interiors?

Drawloverlala is a deity

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, well we were talking about her powerset and fighting style--the latter of which she has little of outside most of the games.

The fact that they apparently felt obligated to portray her as being very powerful led to them having to find excuses to keep her from being able to fight much and quickly end any conflict.

Yeah, I see what you mean as she acts a lot more reckless and has a bigger temper in the comics.

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah, I see what you mean as she acts a lot more reckless and has a bigger temper in the comics.

Which seems like a flanderization of her Rush 1 characterization, oddly enough.

Idk, really, they generally need to portray characters like her in a way that avoids both problems while not making them too boring or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Her Temper is fairly accurate to what it was in the games though.

In Rush 2, justified or not, she essentially exploded on Marine. Later she would have charged off in a blind rage has Sonic not been there to calm her down. She also would have gone toe to toe with Silver in Colors DS over a trivial argument had Sonic and Tails not stepped in there too.

Kitty is pretty prone to temper tantrums. Its one of her defining weaknesses.

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Her Temper is fairly accurate to what it was in the games though.

Including the actual Rush adaptation? :smirk: 

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Later she would have charged off in a blind rage has Sonic not been there to calm her down. 

To be fair, Dr. Nega was showing his true colors and even threatening her family, so I can't fault her for starting losing it there. 

6 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

She also would have gone toe to toe with Silver in Colors DS over a trivial argument had Sonic and Tails not stepped in there too.

Oh shoot, for real? Dang, wouldn't that be something to behold(and beware).

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Including the actual Rush adaptation? :smirk: 

Rush 2 just got a quick recap in leiu of an adaption. Its safe to assume that everything that happened in the games happened in the comics. All her rage remains safely intact.

The Rush 1 adaption might has the big difference. She blows up in his face there two, and the two end up fighting, but like in the game they are fighting over a missunderstanding mostly fueled by Blaze being blinded by her own rage-a-hol.

Its consistent with what we see out of her in the games. Its not fladarization. She is just prone to flying off the handle if she doesn't have a better half on hand to keep her in check.

To be fair, Dr. Nega was showing his true colors and even threatening her family, so I can't fault her for starting losing it there. 

To be fair, the exact same thing happened in the first Rush, and she still didn't learn her lesson. She was willing to blitz the Eggman on her own, knowing full well the power he wielded and was so ready to burn away everything that she couldn't stop and think to team up with the hero standing right next to her. 

Eggman knows her weakness. A few enemies have been pretty good at exploiting it too.

Oh shoot, for real? Dang, wouldn't that be something to behold(and beware).

I feel like I am the only person who put in the time to S-Rank all the mission in COLORS DS and unlock the full conversation trees.

• Chuckle 1

12 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

The Rush 1 adaption might has the big difference. She blows up in his face there two, and the two end up fighting, but like in the game they are fighting over a missunderstanding mostly fueled by Blaze being blinded by her own rage-a-hol.

"Who are you calling a boy?!" :lol:

Its consistent with what we see out of her in the games. Its not fladarization. She is just prone to flying off the handle if she doesn't have a better half on hand to keep her in check.

I know, I get that.

I guess it just goes to show the pedestal she's been put on that people complain about her doing it at all with varying reasonability.

To be fair, the exact same thing happened in the first Rush, and she still didn't learn her lesson. She was willing to blitz the Eggman on her own, knowing full well the power he wielded and was so ready to burn away everything that she couldn't stop and think to team up with the hero standing right next to her. 

Eggman knows her weakness. A few enemies have been pretty good at exploiting it too.

Oh no, I remember. I was just pointing out that despite her character development in the first game, she still a place in her armor that Nega knows how to chink.

I feel like I am the only person who put in the time to S-Rank all the mission in COLORS DS and unlock the full conversation trees.

I think you might be one of the handful that actually played Colors DS. :D 

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Exactly what I said. 

Blaze is the worst about this in practice, as you can tell.

That sounds too tame

I want whole levels where you can stop time and create different paths and shit

Do you guys want adaptations of the future games? 

I prefer that no adaptations, just take some elements (for example if a new creature like chao or wisp appear, but not the story)

Considering how little actually happens in the stories for the games nowadays, adding in whatever new element was provided by those future titles probably wouldn't be hard to do without weaving it into whatever narrative the comic is currently doing at the time. 

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

22 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Every character is going to get hit by a Worf effect of some kind because every character should have flaws to make them better relatable or engaging enough for us to see them climb back up from their fall, learn/get stronger, and succeed the next time. There’s no stopping it, otherwise they become bland and predictable as a result.

But to engage the though: Make counters, weaknesses, and some situational awareness.

Really just that simple.

Counters as in have something strong enough to resist their abilities or get an advantage over them—like Eclipse’s mere presence countering Shadow’s abilities (which in itself was countered by Shadow drawing power from the Master Emerald), water dosing Blaze’s fire, or Eggman creating a device that saps their power somehow (hey, he did it with Super Sonic), hell even Omega was somewhat of a challenge for Shadow.

Situational awareness as in something that forces them to willingly not use as much of their power for fear of too much collateral damage than they’re willing to risk, or them making a split second lapse in judgement or mistake that someone capitalizes on.

Which, ironically enough, is how they were done in Archie. :P

• Thumbs Up 8

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

That sounds too tame

I want whole levels where you can stop time and create different paths and shit

I was applying that to their portrayals in the comic.