Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, pocket said:

I just got a very similar reply. They didn't give me any details, but they did say "Ian is definitely on our radar, but I can't reveal anything more than what's been announced" and they're listening to fan input.

 Glad they are listening to Fan Input.  With any luck enough people will request The Freedom Fighters & Ian Flynn stay in/on the book in some capacity that they will as Picard says...

628b747f8ccdfb757062f36a27eedecfc2295f515c0586e05fbfb0620c0571a2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

 Glad they are listening to Fan Input.  With any luck enough people will request The Freedom Fighters & Ian Flynn stay in/on the book in some capacity that they will as Picard says...

628b747f8ccdfb757062f36a27eedecfc2295f515c0586e05fbfb0620c0571a2.jpg

Keep SEGA in mind, keep SEGA in mind.

Fan input is great, but SEGA is absolute.

Keep that hope under control my friend, and this is coming from one wanting the FF more than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, given how much "straightforward" companies are (I'm looking at you Archie...), I'm guessing they will hire Ian. If they did, there is much possibility of the FF coming back.

The only wall would be SEGA not liking the FF. IDW is strong and should be able to discuss stuff, but the FF was something that SEGA wanted gone and only managed to survived with restriction (right?) because Archie fought for it. I don't know how it works but will IDW be willing to do the same, and to what extent? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Well, given how much "straightforward" companies are (I'm looking at you Archie...), I'm guessing they will hire Ian. If they did, there is much possibility of the FF coming back.

The only wall would be SEGA not liking the FF. IDW is strong and should be able to discuss stuff, but the FF was something that SEGA wanted gone and only managed to survived with restriction (right?) because Archie fought for it. I don't know how it works but will IDW be willing to do the same, and to what extent? 

Part of me thinks maybe to the extent they become more like recurring supporting characters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pocket said:

To be honest, I'd be fine with the FFs coming back only to get much smaller supporting roles, while the game characters get the most spotlight. That's how it should be in the first place.

Maybe if there's demand, they can do what Archie did and have two comics going where the second comic gives spotlight to side characters, including the FFs.

My thoughts pretty much about what they could do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Pretty much.  If we are indeed lucky enough to keep the FF & older game characters  they will most likely only show up in 1 or 2 storylines a year and the modern SEGA cast will most likely get the most of the spotlight.  But yea hopefully with enough fan requests they will still appear, even if it is in a much smaller capacity then in the Archie series.

 

As for Ian hopefully he will be hired to work on thr book as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Well, given how much "straightforward" companies are (I'm looking at you Archie...), I'm guessing they will hire Ian. If they did, there is much possibility of the FF coming back.

The only wall would be SEGA not liking the FF. IDW is strong and should be able to discuss stuff, but the FF was something that SEGA wanted gone and only managed to survived with restriction (right?) because Archie fought for it. I don't know how it works but will IDW be willing to do the same, and to what extent? 

If they want to stay in Sega's good books, then they're likely gonna stick to whatever Sega give them as guidelines. If the book becomes a success later down the line, then maybe there could be some more breathing space for IDW to expand the comic, but it's not a guarantee.

It should also be noted that, just because Ian Flynn has a potential chance to return for the IDW series, this doesn't guarantee that the Freedom Fighters will return with him. Besides, I'd rather see this book stand on it's own as IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog, not Archie's Sonic The Hedgehog Version 3.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Let me ask you something... cast you rmind back to issue 1 of Archie and Fleetway first came out..

All of these questions apply to Sega Sonic.

Did Eggman have an assistant: no.

Does he have one now: Orbot & Qubot.

Did Sonic have lots of friends? No. Only Tails then Amt came along... Then Knuckles a few years later.

Was there a large villains gallery? Just Eggman + Badniks.

Now? Lots.

Did Sonics friends have defined roles? No.

Do they now? Yup. They got jobs/roles.

 

... ... So why do they need to make a large ensemble when Sega Sonics own character roster does that. It's not the early 90s cast anymore.

Could you elaborate a bit what you mean?

Well, sure, there are a decent number of characters, but, again, they are not allowed to develop nor having their backstories revealed (except Shadow, maybe. But, do we really want to use the Edgelord's past for the 200th time?)

Not to mention that most of them are bland by nature, except Amy and Rouge... So, due to these factors I still believe we will have brand new OC's doing the exact same "sin". Not immediatly, ofc... say, after the first 50 issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Captain Metallix said:

If they want to stay in Sega's good books, then they're likely gonna stick to whatever Sega give them as guidelines. If the book becomes a success later down the line, then maybe there could be some more breathing space for IDW to expand the comic, but it's not a guarantee.

It should also be noted that, just because Ian Flynn has a potential chance to return for the IDW series, this doesn't guarantee that the Freedom Fighters will return with him. Besides, I'd rather see this book stand on it's own as IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog, not Archie's Sonic The Hedgehog Version 3.0.

They could still be incorporated without making it Archie MK. III. Like how Sally was used in European continuities (like in Fleetway). Entirely different from how the used to work. This reminds me, I think we should now make our headcanons about their status if the FFs and old game characters won't appear in this new continuity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Captain Metallix said:

If they want to stay in Sega's good books, then they're likely gonna stick to whatever Sega give them as guidelines. If the book becomes a success later down the line, then maybe there could be some more breathing space for IDW to expand the comic, but it's not a guarantee.

It should also be noted that, just because Ian Flynn has a potential chance to return for the IDW series, this doesn't guarantee that the Freedom Fighters will return with him. Besides, I'd rather see this book stand on it's own as IDW's Sonic The Hedgehog, not Archie's Sonic The Hedgehog Version 3.0.

Using the FF doesn't make it Archie 3.0 the very fact it is released by a different publisher is proof of that.  It is still IDW's project now weather they use the FF or not.  And whose to say they could'nt do an even better job with both the SATAM & SEGA cast then Archie did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Korke said:

Could you elaborate a bit what you mean?

I thought it was kinda obvious, it's been 26 years since Sonic started, there's a lot more characters now than when Archie & Fleetway started...

But let's take Eggman for instance. 

It's very common knowledge that Sega told both Archie and Fleetway that Eggman had an assistant. But they never specified what that should be, hence why we got Snively and Grimer. 

But today... he has assistants, two of them in fact, Orbot and Cubot... so why do we need a new character for that? So long Snively, keep enjoying retirement Grimer, we don't need you anymore.

It also stands to reason that they probably said there should be an engineer/technical guy, given how both Archie and Fleetway created an OC to fill that role... but now we have Tails taking that role.

Or if you are writing the story, you want different characters who typically appear regularly so you can build stories right? Hence why we had two lots of freedom fighters over two comics... but back then, we only had 2 characters, Sonic & Tails. So you had no choice but to make up new friends for Sonic based on his 'animal' friends, but now... we have lots of friends.

There's absolutely no point in using new characters for regular roles when you now have 25+ years of Sonic characters ready and waiting to be used. Whereas when Archie and Fleetway at the time pretty much only had 3 characters to use + animal/badniks.

Quote

Not to mention that most of them are bland by nature, except Amy and Rouge... 

If only they could be in a comic to explore their characters.

1 minute ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Using the FF doesn't make it Archie 3.0 the very fact it is released by a different publisher is proof of that.  It is still IDW's project now weather they use the FF or not.  And whose to say they could'nt do an even better job with both the SATAM & SEGA cast then Archie did.

So it's IDW presents Archie comics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mayor D said:

If only they could be in a comic to explore their characters.

That's exactly what I'm trying to explain, they are forbidden to be explored, due to the mascot mentality from SoJ. If the mandates were already heavy in the Archie's Post-Reboot, I'm predicting a even worse scenario for the writers now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

So it's IDW presents Archie comics.

  Better then IDW presents a 32 page ad thats even more pointlesses & emberresing then that Transformers/Schick Hydrorazor one they handed out. 

 

Also Amy & Rouge could get developed in the comic, if SEGA will allow Amy to get development or Rouge to show-Up.  Who knows they may be done with her too.  Haven't seeen her show up in a lot of games lately either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

Exactly! They could function like that!

...if that's enough to satisfy your desire to see the Freedom Fighters, you may as well just pick any character that appears and declare that they're Sally, for all the good it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

  Better then IDW presents a 32 page ad thats even more pointlesses & emberresing then that Transformers/Schick Hydrorazor one they handed out. 

Hyperbole much?

4 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

Exactly! They could function like that!

Then.... what's the point? lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Korke said:

That's exactly what I'm trying to explain, they are forbidden to be explored, due to the mascot mentality from SoJ. If the mandates were already heavy in the Archie's Post-Reboot, I'm predicting a even worse scenario for the writers now.

It's as I've mentioned before, IDW, considering their size/popularity/importance in the modern comic world, wouldn't be willing to go by SEGA's "Archie" rules, I see them wanting much more freedom than that if SEGA expects someone like them to take on the franchise. Making "SEGA the Generic Sonic" isn't appealing for a publisher, and if they are bringing the Archie staff over, they're (hopefully) going to let IDW know "SEGA will f@%k with you in EVERY way they can and shackle you from head to toe" and help them get things in writing before the series begins telling SEGA to either back off or it will be a dead deal.

While folks argue SEGA is the only one able to just drop deals, I highly doubt IDW is incapable of giving SEGA the bird if they get sick of dealing with their lackluster version/preference for Sonic and co. when they can focus on all their other series that are all around much more interesting and fun/exciting for them to work on.

This isn't Archie where it's pretty much literally just "Sonic and Archie" anymore, IDW has options and they will resort to those other options the moment they get sick of SEGA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mayor D said:

Hyperbole much?

  No more then saying IDW's comic can't have its own identity because it uses some of the same characters that have been used in Sonic comics for nearly a quarter of a century.

 

Again by that Logic no Batman media post 90's should have used Harley Quinn.

Ninja Turtles should have left Bebop & Rocksteady out of the comic, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Keep SEGA in mind, keep SEGA in mind.

Fan input is great, but SEGA is absolute.

Keep that hope under control my friend, and this is coming from one wanting the FF more than anything.

Of course. Because it's their property. Why are you having so much trouble understanding this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chris Knopps said:

It's as I've mentioned before, IDW, considering their size/popularity/importance in the modern comic world, wouldn't be willing to go by SEGA's "Archie" rules, I see them wanting much more freedom than that if SEGA expects someone like them to take on the franchise. Making "SEGA the Generic Sonic" isn't appealing for a publisher, and if they are bringing the Archie staff over, they're (hopefully) going to let IDW know "SEGA will f@%k with you in EVERY way they can and shackle you from head to toe" and help them get things in writing before the series begins telling SEGA to either back off or it will be a dead deal.

While folks argue SEGA is the only one able to just drop deals, I highly doubt IDW is incapable of giving SEGA the bird if they get sick of dealing with their lackluster version/preference for Sonic and co. when they can focus on all their other series that are all around much more interesting and fun/exciting for them to work on.

This isn't Archie where it's pretty much literally just "Sonic and Archie" anymore, IDW has options and they will resort to those other options the moment they get sick of SEGA.

I'm not sure about IDW fighting for it, risking to lose the deal and money... But well, I can only hope you are right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

  Better then IDW presents a 32 page ad thats even more pointlesses & emberresing then that Transformers/Schick Hydrorazor one they handed out. 

I didn't read it but wasn't that done intentionally ludicrous and silly because they realized it was a Razor tie-in? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Korke said:

I'm not sure about IDW fighting for it, risking to lose the deal and money... But well, I can only hope you are right.

If they stick with SEGA's demands the Sonic series won't even be worth keeping so there's another problem for SEGA and reason for IDW to drop out. It was only thanks to Ian and the handful of staff pushing the series along that their version of Sonic was ever a success in the past year or two, if not for him and the others around him at Archie the series would have become so generic Archie may have dropped it on their own terms.

If nothing else I guess it might finally get the point across to SEGA that their tastes just suck if it does happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.