Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

We still haven't seen the main covers for issues 2-4 yet, and that's baffling to me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think IDW comics really have a "main" cover.

It's not like Archie where there's a "standard" cover and then one or more "variant" covers.

IDW tend to have a "Cover A", "Cover B" and maybe more as their "mains", with everything after like Retail Incentives being the "non-main".

• Nice Smile 1

Well, like Eggman, it wasn't a question of if Shadow would show up, but when. This should be a fun little issue.

Why do they keep showing Nathalie's covers when there are so many other artists to showcase?  I'd really like to see more of their' stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

10 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

9 variants. For the first fucking issue. Dear god, this is going to be a pain for collectors...

That's unreal, Let me see: -

Cover by Tracy

Cover by Natalie

Cover by Tyson

Cover by Kieran

Connecting Cover Variant (I think)

Wondercon Variant

Collectors Box Set Variant

What are the others?

3 hours ago, Irish David said:

That's unreal, Let me see: -

Cover by Tracy

Cover by Natalie

Cover by Tyson

Cover by Kieran

Connecting Cover Variant (I think)

Wondercon Variant

Collectors Box Set Variant

What are the others?

There is also a 25 Copy Incentive by Rafa Knight, as well a sketch variant that is coming with GameStop pre-orders of the Crash Course board game. Glad you all like the cover gallery! I am constantly trying to make the blog better!

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Hey I'm down for a more rapid-fire approach if it means the Babylon Rogues don't end up screwed out of appearing in it even once. 

I would expect the Rogues to have their own arc TBH. Like not just show up as "Sonic Meets this Character this month". I do like this approach though there's so many characters that are almost certainly going to be used frequently it honestly makes total sense to get them all brought in within the first year.

9 variants. For the first fucking issue. Dear god, this is going to be a pain for collectors...

This is why I don't bother. Besides chances are they'll have a Cover Gallery in the trade anyway.

Also I'm kinda not digging how the one artist for each issue thing is being done in the Second arc. I was fine with it for the first one since it's weekly but doing it in the next arc is dumb. There's no reason Jamal couldn't have done the whole arc.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not bothered by number of covers (then again, I'm not collector).

I'm bothered by similarity between them. How many "Sonic running through grass land (potentially with Tails in right upper corner)" we need?

Remember SU 75? 7.5 covers, some cool, some lame, but each different.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

20 hours ago, Tenko said:

Shadow? So soon...

I thought we would get some more time with the main cast before we got to the randomness with convoluted plot that is Shadow. I can only hope he's actually interesting this time around but I won't hold my breath. Butting in on Sonics first showdown with Eggman in the new comic isn't a good start tho..

But when has Shadow ever been convoluted in the comics?

Serious question, cuz the games are a different mess altogether.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I'm not bothered by number of covers (then again, I'm not collector).

I'm bothered by similarity between them. How many "Sonic running through grass land (potentially with Tails in right upper corner)" we need?

Remember SU 75? 7.5 covers, some cool, some lame, but each different.

THIS. I mean, i usually don't mind a lot of variants, i actually like them, but two of them are literal copypastes of other two with less color. I thought the concept of a variant cover was for them to be different from one another.

• Promotion 1

24 minutes ago, NikoS said:

THIS. I mean, i usually don't mind a lot of variants, i actually like them, but two of them are literal copypastes of other two with less color. I thought the concept of a variant cover was for them to be different from one another.

Well, I think its fair that the ones that are just recolors/sketches are the ones that are less accessible by the average collector. In my opinion it would be worse if the WonderCon Variant was unique artwork that will be hard to get because of finance/travel abilities, the Crash Course variant having to shell out $30 for a board game you might not necessarily want, or buying a $25 box set of 4 books you already have to get that one variant. I actually prefer those variants to be less special for that reason, since I won't feel too bad about not having them (though of course, I'm going to try to get them all anyway).  The only variant that I'm unsure about is the #4 that is coming with the SEGA shop bundle, no word on what it is yet.

• Nice Smile 1

That's a really old school look for Eggman and I love it. As for the individual artists I honestly don't mind which ones I get , I don't think I'm as comic book savvy as many of you guys are and I'm not knowledgeable on all the different artists. But for the first time in many many many years I'm genuinly exited for these comics. 

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I'm in if we get 3D covers with the new characters too

Rafa Knight is doing a cover for issue #1. No new characters in that one, as far as I know, but she did all the 3D model covers for Archie (Megaman and Sonic). So there is a good chance we might see some of the new characters in 3D as well with her on the team.

• Thumbs Up 2

I still don't understand where Ian wants to go with this whole two-worlds thing. It sounds like he doesn't want to bring it up as a thing in the comics. Yet I'm afraid of him alluding to it by having the animals\mobians and humans still separate.

I get that this isn't the post reboot world, but honestly though saying that we should just "get with the program" and trust him with this allusion loses steam with me immediately if we start introducing shotty "somewhat canon" crap like the whole sonic characters can breathe in space because they aliens.

Plus I'll feel bad for the people who have their oc's living in some human world city like Station Square or Holoska. Now that they might have to explain how and why there character went there.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

On 3/21/2018 at 1:21 PM, Tenko said:

I thought we would get some more time with the main cast

That's why shadow is here

I'm more surprised the Chaotix are the first of Sonic's allies that have been confirmed for appearing in more than one issue of the comic so far, as far as I know.

16 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

But when has Shadow ever been convoluted in the comics?

Serious question, cuz the games are a different mess altogether.

Not to the extent of the games, I'll give you that. He still has that terrible back story baggage with the Black Arms and Human military etc which will never be not convoluted, and totally rubbish regardless of who writes it. But I'm not totally unfair, his portrayal in the comics is a lot better too, I don't mind him showing up as needed and his relationship with Team Dark is interesting and can be quite entertaining, again minus all the G.U.N nonsense.

I'm generally in the camp of people that think his return after Adventure 2 was a cop out and ruined his character development and arc in that game, he sacrificed himself to help save the planet Maria loved, it was touching and a wonderful end to his story, to me personally bringing him back as either the original or a robot clone just took away from that, ruined it for me and regardless of what they do with him I will never like him because of that. But I put up with him much the same as anyone else with their least favourite characters in series. I'll even admit he's had some great stories and moments in the comic, but I just don't like him, so it may tarnish my view a tad. 

6 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

That's why shadow is here

Thats funny, I'm not counting but I think even Amy has been playable and in more games than him.

6 hours ago, Tenko said:

That's funny, I'm not counting but I think even Amy has been playable and in more games than him.

Yes, but barely.

Amy has SA1/ 2 Boom titles/ Advance 1-3/Shuffle
Shadow has SA2/ Shadow, Black Knight & Forces / Rivals 1-2/Sega Superstars

Almost equal,  Amy wins only by few pre-Adventure spin-offs (Drift, Fighters, R). If you count only main console games, Shadow wins 4:6

But really, non-playable appearances are also important. And with them it's easy to see that Shadow lost his 'core' position around 2006. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman are "Core Cast", Shadow is first among extended cast. "Extended Core" I would say.