Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

What zones do you want to see?

I'd love some cities that look like Apotos (in the mobian world). The city in Sonic Forces was nice too

The editors said that Sonic will visits vibrant and different towns in the first issues.

Those of you who will get the first issue today at Wondercon, can you send us some teasers?

11 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I'm more surprised the Chaotix are the first of Sonic's allies that have been confirmed for appearing in more than one issue of the comic so far, as far as I know.

Excluding Tails, he is seen in the covers for both issues 1 and 3. I'm more surprised by the fact that Sonic seems to be the only one who is in every issue. Ian seems to have taken our "character rotation" feedback literally.

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

But really, non-playable appearances are also important. And with them it's easy to see that Shadow lost his 'core' position around 2006. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman are "Core Cast", Shadow is first among extended cast. "Extended Core" I would say.

And even then, Amy and Knuckles have been demoted to the extended cast in recent years regarding relevancy they have to the plot and in screentime when compared Sonic, Tails, and Eggman.

• Fist Bump 1

Just because Amy and Knuckles were not in Colors Wii and had a minor role in Lost World, it doesn't mean they are not core cast, it really depends on how much story is in the game.

• Promotion 1

2 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Just because Amy and Knuckles were not in Colors Wii and had a minor role in Lost World, it doesn't mean they are not core cast, it really depends on how much story is in the game.

The thing is that in other recent games (Generations and Forces), they aren't treated as core-cast characters as they weren't that relevant to the plot. 

12 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

The last game where Amy and Knuckles had an important role was Sonic 06!

And even then you could argue that Knuckles's presence (as well as Blaze's) made little difference to the plot and even made no sense.

On 23.03.2018 at 1:29 PM, RedFox99 said:

And even then, Amy and Knuckles have been demoted to the extended cast in recent years regarding relevancy they have to the plot and in screentime when compared Sonic, Tails, and Eggman.

True, but we need a divide that is somewhat constant, rather than changing every 5 years.

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman
1 Are all classic characters
2 Are main heroes in Boom, Sonic X and mostly in Archie (and probably will be in IDW)
3 Advance, Rush 1, Riders 1&2, Chronicles favors them over Extended Cast
4 Sonic Battle Racers Board Game had only them (at start)
5 Have easily re toys, merchandise and exposure than others

Granted, Shadow is comparable to some aspects (toys and being in All Star Games, Lego, etc), but one aspect drags him down: Amy, Knuckles and Tails are "Sonic crew". His pals, team, sidekicks. Shadow's individuality that sometimes gives him Forces or own game, means he's often omitted for smaller roles and thus appears less often.

For that reason I count him as "Extended Core" rather than "Core Cast".

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

The last game where Amy and Knuckles had an important role was Sonic 06!

Er, Zero Gravity. And even then, I'm sure there's probably another game I'm blankin on.

I'm not sure if labeling characters are core or extended matters in a story-driven medium.

For best result, I believe that certain characters should be called into an issue only if they would bring something to the ongoing events.

You'll appreciate your favourite character's appearance much more when used timely.

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

"Extended Core" I would say.

I would call it

The white ranger, or the black and red one in this sense. 

I know its weird comparison but it fits? Though if shadow was any sentai thing he would be a kamen rider

The reason i'm a bit apprehensive to give this a name, is because its just him. Shadow is a... special guy. There isn't really anyone else I Would label extended core. Some might say metal sonic, but I would argue he's just core because he's an eggman lackey like cubot and orbot. Like you said guy has a bunch of Independence that doesn't let him be in a lot of minor shit because he isn't sonic's best friend. But when he's around he seems to be billed as a big thing and something they want to sell or in the case of forces, pretty important. 

So I guess Shadow, is just shadow .

Its like a club saying there's no room in the club and then shadow walks up, and then they proceed to let him in the club

28 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Er, Zero Gravity. And even then, I'm sure there's probably another game I'm blankin on.

Black Knight, Free Riders, the Boom sub-series, and Forces. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

37 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I would call it

The white ranger, or the black and red one in this sense. 

I know its weird comparison but it fits? Though if shadow was any sentai thing he would be a kamen rider

The reason i'm a bit apprehensive to give this a name, is because its just him. Shadow is a... special guy. There isn't really anyone else I Would label extended core. Some might say metal sonic, but I would argue he's just core because he's an eggman lackey like cubot and orbot. Like you said guy has a bunch of Independence that doesn't let him be in a lot of minor shit because he isn't sonic's best friend. But when he's around he seems to be billed as a big thing and something they want to sell or in the case of forces, pretty important. 

So I guess Shadow, is just shadow .

Its like a club saying there's no room in the club and then shadow walks up, and then they proceed to let him in the club

Weeeeelll, it's much more arguable, but I think Metal Sonic do fits "Extended Core". He was also "addition" in Sonic Boom, games like All Star Racing or Lego Dimension, he's classic, plus he he has more merchandise than average Sonic character.

But even if Shadow was the only one in Extended Cast...then I think it's awesome. It show how unique he is. He's not important for seniority reason, it's because he's cool.

So if naming conventions are only thing we disagree, I can live with that. But if we're trying to establish some kind of nomenclature, then we need names that give message across. "Core Cast" is short, catchy and gives a clear message: only characters that are most important. "Sixth Ranger/White Ranger/Shadow/whatever" explains his function, not position in hierarchy. (Plus it's a bit too much of special treatment, implying he's so much more special than the rest.)

• Nice Smile 1

Eh, I don't think it makes him seem like the best. My interpetation of the white ranger is such

" he's basically apart of the main crew, but he's doing his own shit and he sells toys " It doesn't mean he's best most important character in the franchise, it just means important and gets space.

Though I could come up with a better name than " white ranger" especially when our hedgehog in question is quite to opposite in terms of visual appeal.

I wish blaze was also in this position, saddness

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

(not my image)

the wondercon variant of issue 1 has the regular cover

but only sonic is colored in like the twitter preview of tyson hesse's cover

aobwxven8kn01.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Nate V said:

(not my image)

the wondercon variant of issue 1 has the regular cover

but only sonic is colored in like the twitter preview of tyson hesse's cover

aobwxven8kn01.jpg

"Green Hill's looking a lot more like Monochrome Hill right now!"

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

3 hours ago, FlameStream said:

I'm not sure if labeling characters are core or extended matters in a story-driven medium.

I'm pretty sure it'd matter especially in a story-driven medium. The core cast are the characters you'd expect to appear more often, the main characters. 

• Nice Smile 1

What @Razule said. As who I consider Core, it depends on who's writing the characters. I expect to see at least the classic 5 as core cast, if not more.

I believe the Sonic Stadium has a staff member there from Saturday, don't quote me on it though. 

• Nice Smile 1