Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

So you say we needed more characters?

I think the first issue is also meant to newcomers who don't know about Sonic, and it was heavily emphasized by writer and editors in interviews.

It's still a new comic for IDW, and I'm sure there will be newcomers.

We should take that into consideration.

The first issue was not only meant for us hardcore fans, but also newcomers.

36 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I think the first issue is also meant to newcomers who don't know about Sonic, and it was heavily emphasized by writer and editors in interviews.

And that's exactly the problem.

"Let's make it accessible" should not equal "let's make it as simple as as possible".

If I had limited income and no interest in Sonic the Hedgehog as a franchise, this issue would fail to convince me to pick next issue.

I dare you, read this issue one more time and pretend you know nothing about anything. You get no reference, you know nothing about this Eggman or why Tails is worried about Sonic. Story get's only worst if you're not already invested in the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I played Sonic Adventure for the first time I didn't know anything about any character. It was a game I randomly picked, but I was interested in Chaos and the world of Sonic.

Also do you think we'll have the Egg Pawns from Forces again or it's only on the variant cover for issue 2?

23 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

When I played Sonic Adventure for the first time I didn't know anything about any character. It was a game I randomly picked, but I was interested in Chaos and the world of Sonic.

Sonic Adventure's connection to past games doesn't add much to what actually happens.

7 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I think Ryan said it best:

I mean, I can get where this is coming from, pilots for TV shows are rarely as good as the actual thing for example and all, but that doesn't exclude anything from criticism.

That doesn't change that Countdown to Chaos did the same thing, but better. I mean, you even have the same people here doing what they've been doing for years. Ian isn't writing new characters here, he's writing the same characters he's been writing for over a decade now. The only thing that is new here is the setting, but even then post-reboot Archie was a new setting that Ian Flynn had to quickly cobble in light of legal developments, and it in-so-far is far more captivating from the get-go.

I mean, I'm just fine with the quality presented too, especially from the perpetual explosive diarrhea that's been coming out of the games since Sonic Team has given up on writing their own games this feels like a godsend. We have characters actually acting like themselves, my god what a miracle. But that isn't anything new from this comic team either, Ian's fought hard to prove that he's a capable writer.

And you know what? Maybe the comparison to CDtC isn't an entirely fair comparison, it's one of the best arcs of post-reboot Archie. But to me, the point is that this team has proven they can do better. They have before. They certainly can do it again, and we should hold them to that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

I thought it was a book for the fanbase, because it's the niche fandom who buys stuff. Anyway, I'm not ashamed to say that Forces story is a lot better than this issue, even just the beginning of the game, coward Tails aside, there was a lot more going on, actual story, villains, the resistance, tension, fights, this issue is just random badniks battles and fun chat between Sonic and Tails, sure it's well written but there is nothing going on, it doesn't try to interest or impress me like Forces at least tried to do.

I'm not one who usually complains, I'm just disappointed by this issue after watching Forces' story. And I know that is far from perfect.

There is the story (events) and there is the characterization.

The story will progress with upcoming issues.

The characterization is neat.

• Nice Smile 1

So, does anyone else besides me still optimistic about IDW Sonic? I'm sensing some pessimism here.   

• Thumbs Up 3

6 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

So, does anyone else besides me still optimistic about IDW Sonic? I'm sensing some pessimism here.   

I am.

Just because I'm a fan, it doesn't mean I can put some constructive criticism. (It should be Sonic Fandom motto).

It's still fun read, I just know Flynn can do much better. And I'm certain we will get better things after the 'introduction' period.

Archie had similar 'phases' too. Countdown to Chaos, Genesis Arc, Genesis of the Hero, partially World Collide...

• Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I'm optimistic about it, the first issue might be a little weak, is not bad by any means though, I like seeing Sonic and Tails back and fighting together, and their personalities are on point! This issue should officially come with the next three issues in the same week. I'm really excited for it. Not excited for how short they are though...

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Of course! Me and others early on loved it!

Some people expected more that's okay. It's just a first issue

8 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I'm almost definitely sure it will get interesting at least after the first four. However, there is one MAJOR critique I have with the series itself:
There's only 20 pages of story. That's not a very good length to tell a big story with. I hope it'll be extended for more pages as time goes on.

That's standard. Every Comic is 20 story pages nowadays. It's the price for higher grade paper.

Also I'm still optimistic. I enjoyed the issue and I'm willing to see where it goes. The Problem with judging based on 1 issue is pretty much down to how Comics are these days. No one issue, unless a one off story, is meant to be read in a vacuum. The way Comics are done now is basically a Graphic Novel with all it's chapters broken up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

What do you think of the rule that Sonic and co. can't change clothes?

I liked when they changed outfits for special occasions like weddings or going to the snow.

Just now, Marco9966 said:

What do you think of the rule that Sonic and co. can't change clothes?

I liked when they changed outfits for special occasions like weddings or going to the snow.

That mandate has been loosened in some regard, like Sonic Universe 94. 

13 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

That's standard. Every Comic is 20 story pages nowadays. It's the price for higher grade paper.

Also I'm still optimistic. I enjoyed the issue and I'm willing to see where it goes. The Problem with judging based on 1 issue is pretty much down to how Comics are these days. No one issue, unless a one off story, is meant to be read in a vacuum. The way Comics are done now is basically a Graphic Novel with all it's chapters broken up.

Sometimes I feel sad how we just accept this as norm.

Don't get me wrong "decompressed storytelling" has it's advantages.  Still wold be nice if not all comics used it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still hoping that they'll extend it later on, and maybe have more than one story like Archie.

With Thunderbolt out of the picture, we need a new character to serve as Eggman's #1fan.

Eggette.png

Make it happen, Ian. Make it happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Zulon Eredas said:

With Thunderbolt out of the picture, we need a new character to serve as Eggman's #1fan.

Eggette.png

Make it happen, Ian. Make it happen.

I doubt that Ian can just add in fan characters as a main character without the permission of the original artist.

Or add a fan character at all, I have my doubts that SEGA would allow something like that after the total mess Penders left the Echidnas in.

• Thumbs Up 5

Then convince Sega to buy the rights of the fan design from the original artist first.

• Thumbs Up 6

When has SEGA ever bothered with buying fan designs? What benefit would it be to them to do so? 

• Nice Smile 1