Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I mostly found more positive reception than negative. Not on here specifically (it's more mixed), but in places like the Sonic reddit and Sonic discord, and even on twitter, I see more praises. But I respect y'alls opinion, and even have criticsms myself, but I found it enjoyable and look forward to more. I just want a bit more in the following issues.Not much, but a little bit.

Just now, Eurisko said:

All I'm saying is just give it a chance to get going.

I gave it a chance. It was called Issue 1.

1 minute ago, Eurisko said:

And that more than fine , no problem. All I'm saying is just give it a chance to get going. No doubt after these first four issues are done is going to be a big indicator of how the series is going to be. 

Yes, but TBF, the first issue is the most important. It's the one that gives the first impression. If people aren't hooked on the first one, it might be difficult to convince them to read the next. I'm personally hyped, but let Mayor D have his/her input and, like you said, everyone has a different opinion.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

It kinda feels more like if Archie continued and this was just the beginning of a new arc after a hypothetical Forces adaptation than the beginning of a whole new comic with a new company that should probably try a bit harder to hook in a new reader base.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now, yes, it will most likely improve as time goes on. However, people like @Mayor D need PROOF that it has gotten better, or they won't want to hear it.

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

And that's fine , more power to you. I'm not going to say anymore on this as it's got a bit silly and it'll give the thread a chance to get back to what it should be. Also I apologise for saying you nitpick etc... Was a bit rash to throw that in there. 

7 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yes, but TBF, the first issue is the most important. It's the one that gives the first impression. If people aren't hooked on the first one, it might be difficult to convince them to read the next. I'm personally hyped, but let Mayor D have his/her input and, like you said, everyone has a different opinion.

That's a fair point , There's been a few TV shows over the years that I've watched the first episode of and not gone back to. First impressions are very important to get people to invest. This time next month could be a critical make or break point.

I hope this Q&A will bring something surprising, if Ian's Knowing Smile is any indication.

12 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

How many issues in did Fleetway manage to start grabbing your interest? I'm curious. And I didn't like this IDW issue either.

1 minute ago, Jack the Maniac said:

How many issues in did Fleetway manage to start grabbing your interest? I'm curious. And I didn't like this IDW issue either.

Issue 1.

If you want to know the plot, it's based off the Kintobor origin story, the Green Hill battle part. Only the cliffhanger ends where Sonic's friends tell him that they're worried about Tails as they've not seen him for a while and he wasn't captured/turned into a badnik with the rest of them. Sonic then realises that he's not seen Tails for a while either and goes off to look for him.

Aside from the fact the Kintobor origin comic is really good, the added extra of 'what happened to Tails?' is a clear jumping off point to the next story, you can tell it won't be like Issue 1 was but it's own unique story.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

I really wish they took more liberties with Sonic today, and I'm even okay with the mandates because I don't want to see something too different from what Sonic should be, just a middle ground would be nice, make a story with it and make it interesting and compelling, even emotional because why not. Well, I can always make fan fictions.

1 minute ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I really wish they took more liberties with Sonic today, and I'm even okay with the mandates because I don't want to see something too different from what Sonic should be, just a middle ground would be nice, make a story with it and make it interesting and compelling, even emotional because why not. Well, I can always make fan fictions.

Hey, the comic might get to that point. I just hope it comes sooner (but not too soon so we don't get a whole bunch of lore too early) than later. I still have faith that this comic will be pretty good. But y'all do you :D

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Issue 1.

The Green Hill battle part

Quoting myself because.

Also to add to this and compare Sonic's actions from this strip, to IDW's.

In IDW's issue, Sonic rescues some people, he turns up and attacks the badniks. The badniks blow up and yay villagers are saved, they just walk off. Every person he saves does this.

In Fleetways issue. Sonic rescues his friends by destroying the badniks, the badniks explode and his friends pop out... now some of them are ok, they just hit the ground, look a bit dizzy and recover. However, some of them are in more peril. One of them he rescues above a pit of spikes, so he has to grab his friend, perform some acrobatic moves to save both himself and his friends.

What sounds more interesting?

• Nice Smile 1

Just now, Mayor D said:

Quoting myself because.

In IDW's issue, Sonic rescues some people, he turns up and attacks the badniks. The badniks blow up and yay villagers are saved, they just walk off. Every person he saves does this.

In Fleetways issue. Sonic rescues his friends by destroying the badniks, the badniks explode and his friends pop out... now some of them are ok, they just hit the ground, look a bit dizzy and recover. However, some of them are in more peril. One of them he rescues above a pit of spikes, so he has to grab his friend, perform some acrobatic moves to save both himself and his friends.

What does sound more interesting? They seem the same.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 1

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

What does sound more interesting? They seem the same.

One of them all Sonic has to do is attack and defeat badniks to rescue his friends/people, in the other he actually has to think and react to his actions as well as show off his athletic talents in order to physically save his friends. It's not just 'attack, defeat, saved the day'.

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Quoting myself because.

The Fleetway one, no question. But some things do take time to get going. Archie also had a pretty slow (and admittedly, weird. Crying trees? What?) start, but it got way better (and worse in some cases) but it developed a strong following. You can have your opinion, but I'm still holding out for the best. Yes, I'm a little too optimistic. But I trust Ian, and he has surprised me before. I bet he can do it again.

Now, repeating @NikoS's question here: when the hell does the panel start?

3 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

One of them all Sonic has to do is attack and defeat badniks to rescue his friends/people, in the other he actually has to think and react to his actions as well as show off his athletic talents in order to physically save his friends. It's not just 'attack, defeat, saved the day'.

I guess more enemy variety would've helped. A badnik and an eggpawn don't seem too taxing for Sonic and Tails. Holdin' out for the danger next time...

And Egg Emperor's color scheme was completely wrong.

So any different complaints? Cause I agree the story isn't exactly too amazing. I just enjoy it as a comfort read and a welcome home. Like a story patting me on the back saying the nightmares of the shitty characters for the past year are so are not here. The bad men are not gonna come fuck things up. Here's a relaxing read. As a story to grab new readers, I agree it doesn't really do that well. As a comfort read it did that well enough for me. I feel consoled.

Complaints are very welcome, as I do agree with the negative points, most of them in fact, but also while it's not gotten to this point yet, I feel it's gonna be repeated over and over the same issue after the point has gotten across. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

So the first 4 issues will be purposely small... That's interesting, I hope issue 5 and the rest are bigger.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JosepHenry said:

So the first 4 issues will be purposely small... That's interesting, I hope issue 5 and the rest are bigger.

I think Issue 6 where Shadow and Rouge appear was listed as 32 pages long. To be fair, Ian said that the arcs don't have to be restricted to just four issues link in most of the Universe issues.

Just now, RedFox99 said:

I think Issue 6 where Shadow and Rouge appear was listed as 32 pages long. To be fair, Ian said that the arcs don't have to be restricted to just four issues link in most of the Universe issues.

Nice. That makes me hopeful for "meatier" issues.

Anyways, issue 1 was good, nothing spetacular, I didn't except much anyway from it, though I expect issue 2 heating things up a bit. If not then I'll start to get worried.

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

All the comics are 32 pages long, but only 20 of them are story pages. 

Oh... That sucks actually.

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Uh oh, he brought out the Knowing Smile again.

Oh Ian, why you must do this to me??? #notKnowingStillSmile

34 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

The Town Hall is at 3PM Pacific (that's 3 hours from now)

Thanks!!!