Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Just doublechecking: The Fallout Volume is the first four/five issues?

Also, does Tales of Deception have anything to do with IDW?

1) Sounds right. Probably the first four

2) No. It’s part of a chapter book series from Penguin 

Just now, Zaysho said:

1) Sounds right. Probably the first four

2) No. It’s part of a chapter book series from Penguin 

Okay, just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

On 19.3.2018 at 8:19 PM, Razule said:

Ian Flynn goes more into Two Worlds here:

Q: Can we at least have Humans and “Mobians” on both worlds maybe find some way to infer that they are two closely connected worlds? I really enjoyed the one inclusive world we had post reboot, and I hate to see the idea get ripped apart because of canon

A: There was some “fluff”, we’ll say, over confirming that the two-worlds thing from the games will be the canon of the comics. I think folks are paying too much attention to the nitty-gritty because the two-worlds thing has been around since Sonic Adventure; we just didn’t know it. It wasn’t confirmed until that one Q&A session, what, 5 years ago or so, and everyone was like “What?” That is why Sonic X had two worlds, because it was based off the Sonic canon. Really it hasn’t undermined any of the game stories at this point. The story of Tikal and Chaos, really doesn’t matter where it is. It is a strong enough story on on its own right. Shadow, and his whole deal, it doesn’t matter that it happens in the Human world. His story is fairly stand alone. Ya, it raises some big questions. I’m not denying that. It also isn’t the brick through the window kind of distraction, that I think a lot of people think its going to be. So, I mean, obviously Sonic and his friends can cross over between the worlds no problem in the games. If we get around to messing with that at all in the comic, we’ll probably gonna follow suit, but again, the book isn’t out yet. The first year has been plotted, that’s not a lot. Just relax, let the stories come. Even if I have a bullet point list of all the super nerdy things I wanted to cover, there’s no way to do that in a single year. So let the comic be. Its not really going to affect year one,  probably won’t even effect year two.  That’s how its been, that’s how it has been for the past, oh shoot, since ‘ 99, how many years is that? Almost 20 years. It’s not a big deal it’ll be fine, trust me, I know what I”m doing I’ve been doing this a bit, trust me. Trust me.  …Pre-reboot, post-reboot, IDW, Sonic X, and Sonic Boom continuities, and game continuities considering SEGA exclusive online thing.  I’ve played with 6 different flavors of Sonic; I think I can manage.

https://sonicsourceblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/19/flynn-clarifies-the-two-world-issue-in-bumblekast-65/

So it has been a thing this whole time and we just never knew it..

I feel like the massive questions that are never addressed of do undermine the stories?

I know I'm late for this party but I'll put this in here anyway since this is pretty much the first thing that came to my mind after reading that "I know what I'm doing" part.

Dunno why though, Mr. Flynn didn't "seem" to be this agitated about it... :D

Btw telling to "trust them" too many times makes me trust less to the person telling that to me, I hope he'll take it down a notch... :rolleyes:

What first came to my mind about that "two worlds" thing wasn't really anything like disbelief or something like that, more like ideas about different species having "colonies" on the other side(s), that could be kinda neat.

Then again, it seems like I'm not picking this up for at least a year (you know very well why) so whatevs...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

That's why they made Eggman playable in SA2

Tails, not Eggman, but that is a legitimate case.

that's why they included the Chaotix...in Sonic Heroes.

They were already in the design docs and ready to be reintroduced, nothing to do with fan demand.

Cream's already been explained.

THAT'S WHY THEY INCLUDED CLASSIC SONIC IN SONIC FORCES.

That was because Generations sold really well, not fan demand.

While there are some cases of fan demand doing stuff, it's most often really big bouts of it for really big points. Otherwise, they're historically pretty stubborn about it.

3 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Hmm...I understand them not going with the scarf and goggles (probably too modern, or even Boom-looking for classic standards) but I don't see why the blue glove cuffs couldn't he carried over.

I mean I'm not hung up on it or anything, just a random observation.

The Mania look is more based on #294, which doesn't have blue cuffs either.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Absolutely 1

1 hour ago, BlueSky said:

I know I'm late for this party but I'll put this in here anyway since this is pretty much the first thing that came to my mind after reading that "I know what I'm doing" part.

Dunno why though, Mr. Flynn didn't "seem" to be this agitated about it... :D

Btw telling to "trust them" too many times makes me trust less to the person telling that to me, I hope he'll take it down a notch... :rolleyes:

What first came to my mind about that "two worlds" thing wasn't really anything like disbelief or something like that, more like ideas about different species having "colonies" on the other side(s), that could be kinda neat.

Then again, it seems like I'm not picking this up for at least a year (you know very well why) so whatevs...

...Am I the only one who was expecting a crash?

18 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

They were already in the design docs and ready to be reintroduced, nothing to do with fan demand.

Really now?

Aw, now I'm kinda sad.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

14 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Y'know, that got me thinking.  Since Classic Ray's redesign for Mania is based off a cover by Tyson Heese, who is also in charge of all of Mania's animation, and since we're talking about whether or not the Freedom Fighters could be "classic-locked", then is it possible...

image.thumb.png.6d837bc2af7235f63091811348cd46a7.png

I mean aesthetically it fits with the Mega Drive / Mania art style to be considered a part of the "classic" universe (since it's also by Heese) but with Sega's current mindset, who knows?  Of course I'd want them to tweak Sally design to get rid of that stupid hair or blend it in with her fur better.  That's always bothered me about her design.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

6 minutes ago, andrewtuell1991 said:

Y'know, that got me thinking.  Since Classic Ray's redesign for Mania is based off a cover by Tyson Hesse, who is also in charge of all of Mania's animation, and since we're talking about whether or not the Freedom Fighters could be "classic-locked", then is it possible...

Oh, this image is PRECIOUS !!! :blush:

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, andrewtuell1991 said:

Y'know, that got me thinking.  Since Classic Ray's redesign for Mania is based off a cover by Tyson Heese, who is also in charge of all of Mania's animation, and since we're talking about whether or not the Freedom Fighters could be "classic-locked", then is it possible...

I mean aesthetically it fits with the Mega Drive / Mania art style to be considered a part of the "classic" universe (since it's also by Heese) but with Sega's current mindset, who knows?

Now that I think about it, the possibilty's not all that out there.

I mean, there have only really been two times when Sega has acknoweledged them: SatAM (and the occassional Sally merch that it spawned) and Spinball, which are both from the classic era.

People, chill. FF are not part of the classic universe. Why? Because then they would appear in Mania.

FFs are mainly popular from Archie (even more than SaTAM), they have a slight chance of getting into IDW.

But, why would we want them?? I'm not against them, but each character has a specific role!

Sonic=Hero

Tails=Sidekick,mech

Knuckles=hothead,guardian, foil to Sonic

Amy=has a crush on Sonic

What roles do Antoine or Rotor fill?

• Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I sincerely doubt that to be honest. If they've wanted them separate for two decades (to the point of not using them), I don't see them changing their mind even in the face of Mania. I mean, even way back when the divide happened, they weren't separated out due to their popularity (Fang at least was probably far more familiar with the general audience than Espio (or any of the other Chaotix but I'm speaking strictly non-Sonic Team made)). 

Hmm....you have a good point about the remaining classic cast. I would have said they were fair game but retroactive locking would mess with that. Unless there are just some ideas SEGA would deny even the Mania team (I could see any characters originating from a Tails branded game getting this, for example), keeping them permanently unlocked and free for the comic to use.

God knows at this point. They keeping saying that the door's open to stuff like them and Fleetway of all things, but we know for a fact that there are still restrictions on alternate media because Sonic Underground can't be touched. 

With things like the Tails games, there’s always a possibility of them now being completely forbidden, like in Underground’s case. Would be unfortunate if that happens. And even then, if they can be used, they might consider the Battle Bird leaders as “dead” characters given that they were blown up in-game. 

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

And even then, if they can be used, they might consider the Battle Bird leaders as “dead” characters given that they were blown up in-game. 

How many times has Eggman been "blown up in-game" yet always come out unscathed?  Yeah...

Just now, andrewtuell1991 said:

How many times has Eggman been "blown up in-game" yet always come out unscathed?  Yeah...

Eggman leaves the battle looking burnt, the Kukkus disappear. And they never returned in the series either. 

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

FFs are mainly popular from Archie (even more than SaTAM), they have a slight chance of getting into IDW.

But, why would we want them?? I'm not against them, but each character has a specific role!

Sonic=Hero

Tails=Sidekick,mech

Knuckles=hothead,guardian, foil to Sonic

Amy=has a crush on Sonic

What roles do Antoine or Rotor fill?

Maybe like a team rival for said main four. That way, Rotor can be Sally’s mech and Antoine can be her hopeless love interest.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Eggman leaves the battle looking burnt, the Kukkus disappear. And they never returned in the series either. 

But SEGA had that mandate of 'dead characters' since Ian's run. Yet they still showed up. Obviously, SEGA doesn't consider them 'dead.'

• Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

But SEGA had that mandate of 'dead characters' since Ian's run. Yet they still showed up. Obviously, SEGA doesn't consider them 'dead.'

They didn’t consider them dead then when they were non-entities to them, but now with a classic brand in place they might be dead.

• Nice Smile 1

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

In their eyes, they're probably considered "retired". Probably very little restrictions on how they can be used because they effectively don't exist.

• Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

This sounds like another bout of most mandates just not being as nearly bad as some particular fans prematurely fear them to be.

8 minutes ago, antyep said:

Maybe like a team rival for said main four. That way, Rotor can be Sally’s mech and Antoine can be her hopeless love interest.

sonic_n_sally__in_common__by_antyep-dbvs

So, this, basically? 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

sonic_n_sally__in_common__by_antyep-dbvs

So, this, basically? 

I was gonna have Rotor awkwardly with Sticks in the bottom XD

Yeah, I'm a bit of an alien here since, again, I'm perfectly fine with this book being all modern. It's the kind of stuff I grew up with and as such I'm pretty used to it. If anything, when I got into Archie, I was stepping deeply out of my comfort zone and had to make a lot of mental adjustments to accept some of what I was seeing. 

Admittedly, there definitely is a part of my brain that's considering the introduction of the more Classic elements to be something of a "Divine Classic Intervention". Where Modern Sonic can't stand on it's own and they need to throw in a bunch of stuff from the classics to make people like it. I know this is a comic and not a game so that's definitely not where the idea comes in but personal bias is a strong thing to try and ignore. It's a feeling I get despite knowing better but at least I'm aware of it.

I'm still trying my best to be understanding and sympathetic to all of you who are disappointed but at the same time, I'm really happy all of this is happening. I can't really sit here and lie about it. I've always wanted a continuous comic book story about the Modern universe and all the things I was familiar with about it. I didn't want the Freedom Fighters in it and there's a part of me that also didn't even want Mighty and Ray to show up, literally just because my view of that universe, as I was introduced to it, didn't have them around. At least not as characters Sonic and the others already knew. If they were to be reintroduced as people meeting Sonic and the others for the first time, I could see my brain accepting that a bit more as a similar situation to how the Chaotix came back in Heroes. 

Although, there's also the fact that I didn't really care for them as characters in general. Even though what I'm saying is true for the Hooligans, I liked the Hooligans a lot. Then again, they were villains and I tended to really love the Archie villains and didn't care much at all for a lot of the heroes unless they were characters I already liked from the games. And even then, I still complained a lot whenever they'd write Sonic to be too much of a jerk or when Tails was too perfect and bland...

My thoughts on the matter aren't that complicated I guess. It's just hard to talk about. I feel like I may be stepping on eggshells a bit admitting to really liking the decisions they've made here. Absolutely none of this has bothered me a bit. Not even a little tiny bit.

Honestly, if Ian turned around and said that the classic/modern divide was solely because of Sonic Team really wanting to make sure Chaotix wasn't canon...I'd be like "Aah, makes sense". 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

13 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm still trying my best to be understanding and sympathetic to all of you who are disappointed but at the same time, I'm really happy all of this is happening. I can't really sit here and lie about it. I've always wanted a continuous comic book story about the Modern universe and all the things I was familiar with about it. I didn't want the Freedom Fighters in it and there's a part of me that also didn't even want Mighty and Ray to show up, literally just because my view of that universe, as I was introduced to it, didn't have them around. At least not as characters Sonic and the others already knew. If they were to be reintroduced as people meeting Sonic and the others for the first time, I could see my brain accepting that a bit more as a similar situation to how the Chaotix came back in Heroes.

I like to have continuous book about modern universe too!

My first game was SA1, so I'm pretty good with these decisions. What was your first game?

I still have some hope for Mighty and Ray, because Flynn wrote the classic characters very well in the modern universe.

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I still have some hope for Mighty and Ray, because Flynn wrote the classic characters very well in the modern universe.

Ian didn't say that they were completely out. He just said that they are Classic-exclusive and that they are focusing on Modern for now.

• Nice Smile 1