Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

16 minutes ago, andrewtuell1991 said:

Y'know, that got me thinking.  Since Classic Ray's redesign for Mania is based off a cover by Tyson Heese, who is also in charge of all of Mania's animation, and since we're talking about whether or not the Freedom Fighters could be "classic-locked", then is it possible...

image.thumb.png.6d837bc2af7235f63091811348cd46a7.png

I mean aesthetically it fits with the Mega Drive / Mania art style to be considered a part of the "classic" universe (since it's also by Heese) but with Sega's current mindset, who knows?

Now that I think about it, the possibilty's not all that out there.

I mean, there have only really been two times when Sega has acknoweledged them: SatAM (and the occassional Sally merch that it spawned) and Spinball, which are both from the classic era.

FFs are mainly popular from Archie (even more than SaTAM), they have a slight chance of getting into IDW.

But, why would we want them?? I'm not against them, but each character has a specific role!

Sonic=Hero

Tails=Sidekick,mech

Knuckles=hothead,guardian, foil to Sonic

Amy=has a crush on Sonic

What roles do Antoine or Rotor fill?

11 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I sincerely doubt that to be honest. If they've wanted them separate for two decades (to the point of not using them), I don't see them changing their mind even in the face of Mania. I mean, even way back when the divide happened, they weren't separated out due to their popularity (Fang at least was probably far more familiar with the general audience than Espio (or any of the other Chaotix but I'm speaking strictly non-Sonic Team made)). 

Hmm....you have a good point about the remaining classic cast. I would have said they were fair game but retroactive locking would mess with that. Unless there are just some ideas SEGA would deny even the Mania team (I could see any characters originating from a Tails branded game getting this, for example), keeping them permanently unlocked and free for the comic to use.

God knows at this point. They keeping saying that the door's open to stuff like them and Fleetway of all things, but we know for a fact that there are still restrictions on alternate media because Sonic Underground can't be touched. 

With things like the Tails games, there’s always a possibility of them now being completely forbidden, like in Underground’s case. Would be unfortunate if that happens. And even then, if they can be used, they might consider the Battle Bird leaders as “dead” characters given that they were blown up in-game. 

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

And even then, if they can be used, they might consider the Battle Bird leaders as “dead” characters given that they were blown up in-game. 

How many times has Eggman been "blown up in-game" yet always come out unscathed?  Yeah...

Just now, andrewtuell1991 said:

How many times has Eggman been "blown up in-game" yet always come out unscathed?  Yeah...

Eggman leaves the battle looking burnt, the Kukkus disappear. And they never returned in the series either. 

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

FFs are mainly popular from Archie (even more than SaTAM), they have a slight chance of getting into IDW.

But, why would we want them?? I'm not against them, but each character has a specific role!

Sonic=Hero

Tails=Sidekick,mech

Amy=has a crush on Sonic

Maybe like a team rival for said main four. That way, Rotor can be Sally’s mech and Antoine can be her hopeless love interest.

2 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Eggman leaves the battle looking burnt, the Kukkus disappear. And they never returned in the series either. 

But SEGA had that mandate of 'dead characters' since Ian's run. Yet they still showed up. Obviously, SEGA doesn't consider them 'dead.'

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

But SEGA had that mandate of 'dead characters' since Ian's run. Yet they still showed up. Obviously, SEGA doesn't consider them 'dead.'

They didn’t consider them dead then when they were non-entities to them, but now with a classic brand in place they might be dead.

2 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

In their eyes, they're probably considered "retired". Probably very little restrictions on how they can be used because they effectively don't exist.

4 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

This sounds like another bout of most mandates just not being as nearly bad as some particular fans prematurely fear them to be.

Yeah, I'm a bit of an alien here since, again, I'm perfectly fine with this book being all modern. It's the kind of stuff I grew up with and as such I'm pretty used to it. If anything, when I got into Archie, I was stepping deeply out of my comfort zone and had to make a lot of mental adjustments to accept some of what I was seeing. 

Admittedly, there definitely is a part of my brain that's considering the introduction of the more Classic elements to be something of a "Divine Classic Intervention". Where Modern Sonic can't stand on it's own and they need to throw in a bunch of stuff from the classics to make people like it. I know this is a comic and not a game so that's definitely not where the idea comes in but personal bias is a strong thing to try and ignore. It's a feeling I get despite knowing better but at least I'm aware of it.

I'm still trying my best to be understanding and sympathetic to all of you who are disappointed but at the same time, I'm really happy all of this is happening. I can't really sit here and lie about it. I've always wanted a continuous comic book story about the Modern universe and all the things I was familiar with about it. I didn't want the Freedom Fighters in it and there's a part of me that also didn't even want Mighty and Ray to show up, literally just because my view of that universe, as I was introduced to it, didn't have them around. At least not as characters Sonic and the others already knew. If they were to be reintroduced as people meeting Sonic and the others for the first time, I could see my brain accepting that a bit more as a similar situation to how the Chaotix came back in Heroes. 

Although, there's also the fact that I didn't really care for them as characters in general. Even though what I'm saying is true for the Hooligans, I liked the Hooligans a lot. Then again, they were villains and I tended to really love the Archie villains and didn't care much at all for a lot of the heroes unless they were characters I already liked from the games. And even then, I still complained a lot whenever they'd write Sonic to be too much of a jerk or when Tails was too perfect and bland...

My thoughts on the matter aren't that complicated I guess. It's just hard to talk about. I feel like I may be stepping on eggshells a bit admitting to really liking the decisions they've made here. Absolutely none of this has bothered me a bit. Not even a little tiny bit.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I'm still trying my best to be understanding and sympathetic to all of you who are disappointed but at the same time, I'm really happy all of this is happening. I can't really sit here and lie about it. I've always wanted a continuous comic book story about the Modern universe and all the things I was familiar with about it. I didn't want the Freedom Fighters in it and there's a part of me that also didn't even want Mighty and Ray to show up, literally just because my view of that universe, as I was introduced to it, didn't have them around. At least not as characters Sonic and the others already knew. If they were to be reintroduced as people meeting Sonic and the others for the first time, I could see my brain accepting that a bit more as a similar situation to how the Chaotix came back in Heroes.

I like to have continuous book about modern universe too!

My first game was SA1, so I'm pretty good with these decisions. What was your first game?

I still have some hope for Mighty and Ray, because Flynn wrote the classic characters very well in the modern universe.

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I still have some hope for Mighty and Ray, because Flynn wrote the classic characters very well in the modern universe.

Ian didn't say that they were completely out. He just said that they are Classic-exclusive and that they are focusing on Modern for now.

46 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Sonic=Hero

Tails=Sidekick,mech

Amy=has a crush on Sonic

Name Mighty and Ray's role. Or Sticks.

25 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yeah, I'm a bit of an alien here since, again, I'm perfectly fine with this book being all modern. It's the kind of stuff I grew up with and as such I'm pretty used to it. If anything, when I got into Archie, I was stepping deeply out of my comfort zone and had to make a lot of mental adjustments to accept some of what I was seeing. 

Admittedly, there definitely is a part of my brain that's considering the introduction of the more Classic elements to be something of a "Divine Classic Intervention". Where Modern Sonic can't stand on it's own and they need to throw in a bunch of stuff from the classics to make people like it. I know this is a comic and not a game so that's definitely not where the idea comes in but personal bias is a strong thing to try and ignore. It's a feeling I get despite knowing better but at least I'm aware of it.

Although, there's also the fact that I didn't really care for them as characters in general. Even though what I'm saying is true for the Hooligans, I liked the Hooligans a lot. Then again, they were villains and I tended to really love the Archie villains and didn't care much at all for a lot of the heroes unless they were characters I already liked from the games. And even then, I still complained a lot whenever they'd write Sonic to be too much of a jerk or when Tails was too perfect and bland...

My thoughts on the matter aren't that complicated I guess. It's just hard to talk about. I feel like I may be stepping on eggshells a bit admitting to really liking the decisions they've made here. Absolutely none of this has bothered me a bit. Not even a little tiny bit.

Well, I"m against removing character by principle... but admittedly I do care about modern cast the most.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Sonic=Hero

Tails=Sidekick,mech

Amy=has a crush on Sonic

Antoine is the Haughty Swordsman and Skittish Soldier. Rotor...well, it depends on what characterization you're going with.

10 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Name Mighty and Ray's role. Or Sticks.

Sticks is the Wild Child, the Techno-phobic Savage, and Paranoid Anarchist. 

Not sure whether we should count the Conspiracy Theorist angle itself.

5 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

I suggested using Cream instead of Sticks.

That was my thought as well. And even then, there's the matter of which characterization of Rotor is being used.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Well, I"m against removing character by principle... but admittedly I do care about modern cast the most.

I mean, I don't feel like anyone was removed though.

Maybe people view this comic differently, but I see it as it''s own entirely new thing that's literally just starting. I'd consider it a removal if it was the Archie book and they had been stripped from it but they're currently not even planned to appear here.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I mean, I don't feel like anyone was removed though.

Maybe people view this comic differently, but I see it as it''s own entirely new thing that's literally just starting. I'd consider it a removal if it was the Archie book and they had been stripped from it but they're currently not even planned to appear here.

Ok, let me rephrase that.

"I'm against limiting what characters you're gonna use, by principle."

Can't Ian make the story focused on a combination of Shadow's and Silver's lore instead of making comic exclusives characters up for Sonic to push storylines in to. Shadow is a bigger story element in general from the games and his story lore elements connects to every main cannon game minus Colors, Unleashed and Lost World.