Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

7 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Or the objectively the BEST SONIC GAME EVER:

Sonic Schoolhouse

There was a very loose adaptation. Remember when they all went to school that one time like.. actual kids or something?

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Do you think that this will ever end up being it's own thing?

When Ian eventually gets more writing gigs and wants to do this less and there are other writers brought in to do their own shit

6 minutes ago, Razule said:

There was a very loose adaptation. Remember when they all went to school that one time like.. actual kids or something?

Oh damn, you got me.
Still haven't seen an adaptation of SegaSonic Popcorn Shop.

I'm just gutted it got canned before the Sega Sonic Arcade adaption, that was a long time coming and would finally explain Sonic, Mighty & Ray's past and friendship etc in the comic. Was looking forward to that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Tenko said:

I'm just gutted it got canned before the Sega Sonic Arcade adaption, that was a long time coming and would finally explain Sonic, Mighty & Ray's past and friendship etc in the comic. Was looking forward to that. 

I direct you to Knuckles the Echidna #26-28.

Man now I am imagining what it would be like if IDW Sonic could be like DC Comics. Like we have the mainline Sonic The Hedgehog issues. Tails #1, Knuckles #1, Team Rose #1, etc. It won't happen, but that'd be neat if the series ever got big enough that characters could have their own comics like how Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Titans, and all that jazz. It'll NEVER happen, but that would be something. A Sonic Universe like side issue is more likely if that even happens.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

Man now I am imagining what it would be like if IDW Sonic could be like DC Comics. Like we have the mainline Sonic The Hedgehog issues. Tails #1, Knuckles #1, Team Rose #1, etc. It won't happen, but that'd be neat if the series ever got big enough that characters could have their own comics like how Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Titans, and all that jazz. It'll NEVER happen, but that would be something. A Sonic Universe like side issue is more likely if that even happens.

Not to mention Penders would go ballistic if they did a Knuckles comic line without him.

What’s he gonna do? Sue?

• Chuckle 4

5 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

What’s he gonna do? Sue?

Sadly, that's eminently possible.... it does seem that Ken seems to consider anything even tangentially related to his series to be an infringement (consider how he treated Shade in Sonic Chronicles despite the quite huge differences in look, personality, backstory, the lack of love story, etc).

• Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, Nestor said:

Sadly, that's eminently possible.... it does seem that Ken seems to consider anything even tangentially related to his series to be an infringement (consider how he treated Shade in Sonic Chronicles despite the quite huge differences in look, personality, backstory, the lack of love story, etc).

To be fair, SEGA literally handed that case out.

12 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, SEGA literally handed that case out.

Eh... the Twilight Cage was obviously inspired by the Twilight Zone, but the Nocturnus backstory, design, theme, motivations and ultimately the entire arc of the story was significantly different to Penders's stories; had Penders's case not been thrown out for being too long after the fact, I'm not sure based on precedent he would have won (especially considering that Ken hadn't actually himself played or researched the game and was operating on hearsay from fans rather than the primary source).

Yeah, it is possible they might be usable again in this new comic. IIRC, on the BumbleKing forums, Ian stated that SEGA themselves had no problem with the Chronicle characters' use in the comic, and that Archie did it to prevent more legal stuff. See, even SEGA knows that Penders is incompetent. Last time he tried to sue, he was basically laughed out of court.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I direct you to Knuckles the Echidna #26-28.

Did that have Trap Island? Wasn't that just that weird thing with Ray attached to a crystal thing... and Fiona and junk. Didnt really have too much in common with the game itself.

I'm betting the post reboot Sega Sonic arc would have been a lot closer to the games without all Penders weird shenanigans.

• Thumbs Up 3

29 minutes ago, Nestor said:

had Penders's case not been thrown out for being too long after the fact, I'm not sure based on precedent he would have won (especially considering that Ken hadn't actually himself played or researched the game and was operating on hearsay from fans rather than the primary source).

Oh, did that happen? Last I heard he was working on the Lara-Su Chronicle apps while awaiting another lawsuit with SEGA.

6 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Did that have Trap Island? Wasn't that just that weird thing with Ray attached to a crystal thing... and Fiona and junk. Didnt really have too much in common with the game itself.

I'm betting the post reboot Sega Sonic arc would have been a lot closer to the games without all Penders weird shenanigans.

Fair enough. Just pointing out that oddity.

• Nice Smile 1

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, did that happen? Last I heard he was working on the Lara-Su Chronicle apps while awaiting another lawsuit with SEGA.

He's still doing the app, and he settled his lawsuit with Archie successfully, but his SEGA/EA lawsuit failed; I didn't think he was doing another one.

23 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yeah, it is possible they might be usable again in this new comic. IIRC, on the BumbleKing forums, Ian stated that SEGA themselves had no problem with the Chronicle characters' use in the comic, and that Archie did it to prevent more legal stuff. See, even SEGA knows that Penders is incompetent. Last time he tried to sue, he was basically laughed out of court.

They could work Chronicles in. Have it take place immediately before Sonic Unleashed (to explain the massive build up of Eggman forces in the game's intro), then have Shade leave afterwards to explore the modern world and find her place in it.... or something to explain where she's been all this time. 

While the Nocturnus themselves are a little bit difficult to bring back in (due the combination of time dilation and the huge war they were left embroiled in), Ix could potentially have teleported through the wormhole.... perhaps even hiding out amongst the population of Sonic's world incognito, maybe using an alias?

....like.... Dr Zachary, perhaps? <_<

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Just now, Nestor said:

They could work Chronicles in. Have it take place immediately before Sonic Unleashed (to explain the massive build up of Eggman forces in the game's intro), then have Shade leave afterwards to explore the modern world and find her place in it.... or something to explain where she's been all this time. 

While the Nocturnus themselves are a little bit difficult to bring back in (due the combination of time dilation and the huge war they were left embroiled in), Ix could potentially have teleported through the wormhole.... perhaps even hiding out amongst the population of Sonic's world incognito, maybe using an alias?

....like Dr Zachary, perhaps? <_<

Oh snap, we got ourselves an opportunity, bois.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Nestor said:

It’s funny, cuz I said that more as a pot-shot than anything...

Ix or Zachary could be a good alternate to Finetivus. He was the only Echidna beyond Knuckles himself that I ever liked in the old Archie comics. Zachary old Penders couldn't get bent about either as he was around before his Knuckles mini-series and all the other Echidna showed up.

I think Sega is likely to stick with their whole no other Echidna thing for Knuckles tho. Which to be fair is fine with me, like I said, I never got attached to anyone outside Finitevus, and even then it was more his mad doctor persona and link to the Warp Rings etc and perceived lost the plot mindset that had me liking the guy. He could technically be any animal and it would be interesting. I liked the albino colouring for him too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Ix or Zachary could be a good alternate to Finetivus. He was the only Echidna beyond Knuckles himself that I ever liked in the old Archie comics. Zachary old Penders couldn't get bent about either as he was around before his Knuckles mini-series and all the other Echidna showed up.

Finitevus was created by Karl Bollers.

perceived lost the plot mindset 

The what now?

He could technically be any animal and it would be interesting.

I kinda got the feeling Maw was meant to fill some facet of his role had he gotten more appearances.

11 minutes ago, Tenko said:

I think Sega is likely to stick with their whole no other Echidna thing for Knuckles tho. Which to be fair is fine with me, like I said, I never got attached to anyone outside Finitevus, and even then it was more his mad doctor persona and link to the Warp Rings etc and perceived lost the plot mindset that had me liking the guy. He could technically be any animal and it would be interesting. I liked the albino colouring for him too. 

Fini-Fans UNITE! Also, if SEGA was willing to let Ian use the Chronicle characters, then that disproves the Echidna mandate rumor.
Remember, the only reason Ian couldn't use them is because Archie wouldn't let him. 
However, IDW could also lay that mandate on him, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Finitevus was created by Karl Bollers.

Yeah he was, but what I meant was Penders seems to act like he started tho whole "other Echidna" thing, and even when Tikal and the Knuckles Tribe was brought into the games he used to say it was his influence etc. So using one that appeared in the British comics before his stories got printed over in the USA could potentially stop him trying to claim his authority over all Echidna other than Knuckles over it.

The what now?

As in I saw Finetivus as a bit loopy, like unstable. Not all there upstairs. Smart, calculating, intelligent, for sure, but also a touch nuts. I do like a character like that done well. He's threatening because of what's upstairs not any powers or strength.

Never tried a edit quote list reply, hope I did it right and it's readable haha. 

35 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Yeah he was, but what I meant was Penders seems to act like he started tho whole "other Echidna" thing, and even when Tikal and the Knuckles Tribe was brought into the games he used to say it was his influence etc. So using one that appeared in the British comics before his stories got printed over in the USA could potentially stop him trying to claim his authority over all Echidna other than Knuckles over it.

Nah. Knowing Penders, he'll STILL find a way to complain. 
In all seriousness, this is a pretty good idea, and if Penders DOES complain, he'll look like a complete fool, and I'd doubt ANYONE, even die-hard fans and defenders of him, would take him seriously.

11 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Also, if SEGA was willing to let Ian use the Chronicle characters, then that disproves the Echidna mandate rumor.
Remember, the only reason Ian couldn't use them is because Archie wouldn't let him. 
However, IDW could also lay that mandate on him, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No it doesn't. The Echidna mandate was and is definitely a thing, but that doesn't stop non-Echidna stuff being used (like, say, more Gizoids).

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

No it doesn't. The Echidna mandate was and is definitely a thing, but that doesn't stop non-Echidna stuff being used (like, say, more Gizoids).

Proof that it exists?