Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

What’s he gonna do? Sue?

Sadly, that's eminently possible.... it does seem that Ken seems to consider anything even tangentially related to his series to be an infringement (consider how he treated Shade in Sonic Chronicles despite the quite huge differences in look, personality, backstory, the lack of love story, etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Nestor said:

Sadly, that's eminently possible.... it does seem that Ken seems to consider anything even tangentially related to his series to be an infringement (consider how he treated Shade in Sonic Chronicles despite the quite huge differences in look, personality, backstory, the lack of love story, etc).

To be fair, SEGA literally handed that case out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, SEGA literally handed that case out.

Eh... the Twilight Cage was obviously inspired by the Twilight Zone, but the Nocturnus backstory, design, theme, motivations and ultimately the entire arc of the story was significantly different to Penders's stories; had Penders's case not been thrown out for being too long after the fact, I'm not sure based on precedent he would have won (especially considering that Ken hadn't actually himself played or researched the game and was operating on hearsay from fans rather than the primary source).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it is possible they might be usable again in this new comic. IIRC, on the BumbleKing forums, Ian stated that SEGA themselves had no problem with the Chronicle characters' use in the comic, and that Archie did it to prevent more legal stuff. See, even SEGA knows that Penders is incompetent. Last time he tried to sue, he was basically laughed out of court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I direct you to Knuckles the Echidna #26-28.

Did that have Trap Island? Wasn't that just that weird thing with Ray attached to a crystal thing... and Fiona and junk. Didnt really have too much in common with the game itself.

I'm betting the post reboot Sega Sonic arc would have been a lot closer to the games without all Penders weird shenanigans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Nestor said:

had Penders's case not been thrown out for being too long after the fact, I'm not sure based on precedent he would have won (especially considering that Ken hadn't actually himself played or researched the game and was operating on hearsay from fans rather than the primary source).

Oh, did that happen? Last I heard he was working on the Lara-Su Chronicle apps while awaiting another lawsuit with SEGA.

6 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Did that have Trap Island? Wasn't that just that weird thing with Ray attached to a crystal thing... and Fiona and junk. Didnt really have too much in common with the game itself.

I'm betting the post reboot Sega Sonic arc would have been a lot closer to the games without all Penders weird shenanigans.

Fair enough. Just pointing out that oddity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh, did that happen? Last I heard he was working on the Lara-Su Chronicle apps while awaiting another lawsuit with SEGA.

He's still doing the app, and he settled his lawsuit with Archie successfully, but his SEGA/EA lawsuit failed; I didn't think he was doing another one.

23 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yeah, it is possible they might be usable again in this new comic. IIRC, on the BumbleKing forums, Ian stated that SEGA themselves had no problem with the Chronicle characters' use in the comic, and that Archie did it to prevent more legal stuff. See, even SEGA knows that Penders is incompetent. Last time he tried to sue, he was basically laughed out of court.

They could work Chronicles in. Have it take place immediately before Sonic Unleashed (to explain the massive build up of Eggman forces in the game's intro), then have Shade leave afterwards to explore the modern world and find her place in it.... or something to explain where she's been all this time. 

While the Nocturnus themselves are a little bit difficult to bring back in (due the combination of time dilation and the huge war they were left embroiled in), Ix could potentially have teleported through the wormhole.... perhaps even hiding out amongst the population of Sonic's world incognito, maybe using an alias?

....like.... Dr Zachary, perhaps? <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Yeah, it is possible they might be usable again in this new comic. IIRC, on the BumbleKing forums, Ian stated that SEGA themselves had no problem with the Chronicle characters' use in the comic, and that Archie did it to prevent more legal stuff. See, even SEGA knows that Penders is incompetent. Last time he tried to sue, he was basically laughed out of court.

Just now, Nestor said:

They could work Chronicles in. Have it take place immediately before Sonic Unleashed (to explain the massive build up of Eggman forces in the game's intro), then have Shade leave afterwards to explore the modern world and find her place in it.... or something to explain where she's been all this time. 

While the Nocturnus themselves are a little bit difficult to bring back in (due the combination of time dilation and the huge war they were left embroiled in), Ix could potentially have teleported through the wormhole.... perhaps even hiding out amongst the population of Sonic's world incognito, maybe using an alias?

....like Dr Zachary, perhaps? <_<

Oh snap, we got ourselves an opportunity, bois.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nestor said:

Sadly, that's eminently possible.... it does seem that Ken seems to consider anything even tangentially related to his series to be an infringement (consider how he treated Shade in Sonic Chronicles despite the quite huge differences in look, personality, backstory, the lack of love story, etc).

It’s funny, cuz I said that more as a pot-shot than anything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ix or Zachary could be a good alternate to Finetivus. He was the only Echidna beyond Knuckles himself that I ever liked in the old Archie comics. Zachary old Penders couldn't get bent about either as he was around before his Knuckles mini-series and all the other Echidna showed up.

I think Sega is likely to stick with their whole no other Echidna thing for Knuckles tho. Which to be fair is fine with me, like I said, I never got attached to anyone outside Finitevus, and even then it was more his mad doctor persona and link to the Warp Rings etc and perceived lost the plot mindset that had me liking the guy. He could technically be any animal and it would be interesting. I liked the albino colouring for him too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Ix or Zachary could be a good alternate to Finetivus. He was the only Echidna beyond Knuckles himself that I ever liked in the old Archie comics. Zachary old Penders couldn't get bent about either as he was around before his Knuckles mini-series and all the other Echidna showed up.

 

Finitevus was created by Karl Bollers.

7 minutes ago, Tenko said:

perceived lost the plot mindset 

The what now?

7 minutes ago, Tenko said:

He could technically be any animal and it would be interesting.

I kinda got the feeling Maw was meant to fill some facet of his role had he gotten more appearances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Ix or Zachary could be a good alternate to Finetivus. He was the only Echidna beyond Knuckles himself that I ever liked in the old Archie comics. Zachary old Penders couldn't get bent about either as he was around before his Knuckles mini-series and all the other Echidna showed up.

I think Sega is likely to stick with their whole no other Echidna thing for Knuckles tho. Which to be fair is fine with me, like I said, I never got attached to anyone outside Finitevus, and even then it was more his mad doctor persona and link to the Warp Rings etc and perceived lost the plot mindset that had me liking the guy. He could technically be any animal and it would be interesting. I liked the albino colouring for him too. 

Fini-Fans UNITE! Also, if SEGA was willing to let Ian use the Chronicle characters, then that disproves the Echidna mandate rumor.
Remember, the only reason Ian couldn't use them is because Archie wouldn't let him. 
However, IDW could also lay that mandate on him, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Finitevus was created by Karl Bollers.

Yeah he was, but what I meant was Penders seems to act like he started tho whole "other Echidna" thing, and even when Tikal and the Knuckles Tribe was brought into the games he used to say it was his influence etc. So using one that appeared in the British comics before his stories got printed over in the USA could potentially stop him trying to claim his authority over all Echidna other than Knuckles over it.

The what now?

As in I saw Finetivus as a bit loopy, like unstable. Not all there upstairs. Smart, calculating, intelligent, for sure, but also a touch nuts. I do like a character like that done well. He's threatening because of what's upstairs not any powers or strength.

Never tried a edit quote list reply, hope I did it right and it's readable haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Tenko said:

Yeah he was, but what I meant was Penders seems to act like he started tho whole "other Echidna" thing, and even when Tikal and the Knuckles Tribe was brought into the games he used to say it was his influence etc. So using one that appeared in the British comics before his stories got printed over in the USA could potentially stop him trying to claim his authority over all Echidna other than Knuckles over it.

Nah. Knowing Penders, he'll STILL find a way to complain. 
In all seriousness, this is a pretty good idea, and if Penders DOES complain, he'll look like a complete fool, and I'd doubt ANYONE, even die-hard fans and defenders of him, would take him seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Also, if SEGA was willing to let Ian use the Chronicle characters, then that disproves the Echidna mandate rumor.
Remember, the only reason Ian couldn't use them is because Archie wouldn't let him. 
However, IDW could also lay that mandate on him, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No it doesn't. The Echidna mandate was and is definitely a thing, but that doesn't stop non-Echidna stuff being used (like, say, more Gizoids).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NikoS said:

Oh i love this one, best cover from issue #1, concept-wise that is,

img_3098.jpg?w=418&h=&zoom=2

 

also, i noted that one of the covers for #1 is exactly ol' #272 cover + Tails & Knuckles. (and Green Hill... and sand?)

  Hide contents

latest?cb=20150114151917img_3101-1.jpg?w=372&h=&zoom=2

please also note how the former logo works/looks better in the cover

 

Ya I noticed that too. Same artist, Edwin Huang. Might have been a time crunch considering the number of variants they put out...or just laziness who knows?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NikoS said:

Oh i love this one, best cover from issue #1, concept-wise that is,

img_3098.jpg?w=418&h=&zoom=2

 

 

Metal was a Robian?!

8 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

So we have as artists: Tracey Yardley, Adam Bryce Thomas, Jen Hernandez, Evan Stanley, Jamal Peppers.

Who are the other artists you'd like to see?

I'd like to see Diana Skelly and Steven Butler.

Ben Bates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

So we have as artists: Tracey Yardley, Adam Bryce Thomas, Jen Hernandez, Evan Stanley, Jamal Peppers.

Who are the other artists you'd like to see?

I'd like to see Diana Skelly and Steven Butler.

Diana Skelly should have been confirmed ages ago if they are planning on having her on board.  Although he's probably here in a covers only capacity, having Jon Gray do pages again would be a good bit of fun.  I'd also like to say Ben Bates, but I have no idea if he's busy with something else (EDIT: Yes, he is indeed busy with something else).

On a sidenote, we've reached 252 pages with this thread.  Welp, time to reboot without telling anyone it's a reboot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.