Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

First issue seemed good, about what I expected out of it really, plays it fairly safe and giving due consideration for it potentially being someone's first Sonic comic etc.  I like that it's using the game series canon as a starting point too.

As someone who's never managed to keep up with Archie, it was pleasant for me to enjoy a Sonic comic without there being a ton of baggage from past storylines that I don't have the full picture of, lol.  While I empathise entirely with those who lament the end of Archie (and I'm also slightly there with you since I'm still grossly unsatisfied by Mega Drive's cancellation), for me personally, this reboot is great.

Same. There is a lot more positivity. Well... I read it, this time I had a good read: it's very simple but it's for everyone, including non fans, if you had issues catching up with Archie this is perfect, that comic (the reboot) tried to please everyone with world building and cramming every possible new and old character. Here the art is great, there is some continuity with the games and nods, great action coreography, awesome writing and lines by Sonic and Tails, who are both portrayed well, dialogue is fresh, the only thing I'm disappointed about is that it's light on story, not having Eggman is felt heavily, it's really a bold move, even focusing on just 2 characters, but hey there are 2 cool mysteries: where is the doctor? And who is controlling the badnik forces? It's a light start to a great comic, hopefully they increase the steam next week!

1 minute ago, Jack the Maniac said:

not having Eggman is felt heavily, it's really a bold move, even focusing on just 2 characters. It's a light start to a great comic, hopefully they increase the steam next week!

This proves how Eggman adds vibes, which makes his absence noticed.

I wonder what his status quo be since he (probably) will not have Egg Bosses with him.

So I read the first issue. I thought it was ok, but my main criticism it felt like it was cut short halfway. Maybe because it’s just setting up the new continuity but I hope it doesn’t become a recurring feeling.

So when are we getting the 2nd issue preview? I need more of the comic, since I had read the leaked version (my mistake, ah!).

I also have a theory about the big bad:

Spoiler

It could be either Wendy or Battle Kukku Lord if it's obscure. I wanted that guy from the concept art, but okay. There are no real clues but the word "batallion" is something that Battle Kukku would say, so that's my guess!

Hmm, I bought the SEGA Shop bundle and they said it would include a digital copy, but for the life of me, I have no idea how I am supposed to get it.

3 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I also have a theory about the big bad:

Reveal hidden contents

It could be either Wendy or Battle Kukku Lord if it's obscure. I wanted that guy from the concept art, but okay. There are no real clues but the word "batallion" is something that Battle Kukku would say, so that's my guess!

The problem with that is that 

Spoiler

they could be considered on the Classic side, since it's from the early days of Sonic. Therefore, they might be be Classic-locked just like Mighty and Ray...

...but I like how you think. It could happen, who knows?

26 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

The problem with that is that 

Reveal hidden contents

they could be considered on the Classic side, since it's from the early days of Sonic. Therefore, they might be be Classic-locked just like Mighty and Ray...

...but I like how you think. It could happen, who knows?

Do we really need to spoiler theories?

Spoiler

Maybe it's not considered a part of the "classic brand" as long as it's not currently used in the new classic games.

I just bought a digital copy of issue #1, here are my thoughts.

I liked it, it may have been simple, but it was still fun, and kept my attention better than any of the Archie comics ever did. It kept the focus on characters from the games, instead of taking too much time away from them with a bunch of made up characters.

I thought the interactions between Tails and Sonic were great. Heck, it kind of makes me mad Tails was nothing like that in Sonic Forces. He was actually heroic and useful in this comic, it makes me wonder why he wasn't made to be playable. 

I also liked the teaser at the end, it sets up a sense of peril for the next issue. 

As one who personally found the Archie comics to be disappointing, I think these new comics are off to a great start. I look forward to issue 2.

2 hours ago, Razule said:

Do we really need to spoiler theories?

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe it's not considered a part of the "classic brand" as long as it's not currently used in the new classic games.

Or maybe they’re simply totally forbidden, as evidenced by the lack of an entry in the Jam character guide.

6 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

New exclusive interview: Here

"With Sonic Generations, Sonic Mania and other games leaning into gamer nostalgia for the classic Sonic look (short, light blue, etc.), did that affect how you approached the property this time around?"

"Nope. Classic Sonic has become his own thing, clear and distinct from Modern Sonic. I’m entirely open to dipping into the Classic Sonic side of things one day, but for now we’re starting out simple with the book built on the modern branch of the franchise."

Oh, thank Solaris. 

I posted a "review" the other day when the issue leaked so I'm basically just repeating myself, but I have to say reading it again properly, yeah, it really is underwhelming. There's nothing much going on here, just mainly a drawn-out, visually unengaging action sequence without anything particularly clever or unique about it. The general premise of "Sonic finds town in trouble, gets help from friend in smashing robots" is simple and could certainly make for a fine little introductory action story on its own, but I dunno, the way it's done here is pretty unremarkable. It makes me ask myself: if this were a new series completely unrelated to Sonic, would I (or anyone, for that matter) be willing to spend four bucks on this? I can't speak for anyone else, but for me at least, I... don't think I would.

But as I said before, I'm not writing the comic off completely yet, this is just one issue of a quick Forces follow-up to set up further stories and introduce characters, the mysterious villain could be interesting, etc. So we'll see, hopefully things'll pick up soon. 

I got my copy of issue 1.

It's fun, I like it, even though it admittedly is a bit weak. World building is nonexistent for a starting comic, but man, am I happy to see Sonic in a comic book again. It's like it never left. And Cover A looks so freakin' cool, with credit to Hesse's awesome work.

And it feels so weird to see the book look barren, thanks to the lack of editor notes referring to someone mentioning a previous issue. It's just a personal thing, but after years of Archie, it's just so unusual to see it like this.

Anyways, with the world building issue 1 lacks, I hope issue 2 can build upon next week.