Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

10 minutes ago, Terriful said:

Found a new cover from the Sonic Squad.

EDIT: There's 2

1-4.jpg

(someone mind getting the second one? My comp won't upload it)

Oh my goodness, I wish this was the cover that revealed first. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how the spotlight on Jen's cover shines over top of the Sonic logo!

It's funny, I'd say most of the covers from 1-4 have part of a character or something edited in front of the logo.

Got the first issue on the IDW App. So far, so good, but unfortunately, I only have enough in my iTunes account for the first 2-3 issues. 

I know this is kinda late to the party but I thought better late than never!  I bought two versions of the comic...the normal cover and that awesome cover ($10 cover) of Tails carrying Sonic...the first issue was kinda simplistic but in a good way.  

Story:

It was back to basics, with Sonic finding a town being attacked by a rogue band of "Eggman's Robots!".  He proceeds to take them on with the thankful arrival of Tails, said fox noticing the attacks were coordinated and more cohesive than usual.  Sonic surmises that Eggman is back, but Tails notes that it can't be because Eggman usually announces his return via an Angry Joe V-Log.  Sonic and Tails, after a nice moment that addresses Tails' depression of being away from Sonic whilst in Forces, leaves on good terms to find the next threat.   Meanwhile, a figure looms in the shadows noting that "of course" Sonic would survive the "first trial".  He orders unseen forces to make sure Amy Rose is notified of Sonic's success so that he or she can crush both hedgehogs at the same time...

Overall thoughts:

The artwork by Tracy Yardley was very solid for a return.  I'm glad the Archie Creators are back on board and working...nice to know that they still get work.  The moment between Sonic and Tails was my favorite moment in the book, with Sonic showing he still has a soft side underneath all that "cool guy"-ness.  Hope we get something like between Sonic and Amy next week.   My hope for the "shadowy figure" is Infinite running the show...he WAS the "ultimate mercenary" after all, so planning attacks on Sonic wouldn't be out of left field for him and he was Robotnik's right hand...I figure he'll settle into a "Snively" like post until he regains his power somehow, which I suppose will not happen for awhile.  This is a continuation of Sonic Forces' story after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

If Rough doesn't stop doing  the Usain Bolt, Imma have to slap a skunk. 

I know, right? 

(Which one is which again?)

• Chuckle 1

Just now, DabigRG said:

(Which one is which again?)

Rough is the blue one, Tumble is the albino one. 

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

Rough is the blue one, Tumble is the albino one. 

Oh, so I did have have their names mixed up. Good clarification. (Also, WWE is not the Olympics)

Thanks!

Jennifer is having a lot of fun with her work still. That's nice to see. 

Did Jamal Peppers do covers for Archie? I remember people not being too keen on his work. He's serviceable for what's needed of the book for the most part last I checked. 

It still strikes me as odd that there's so many variant covers for the IDW Sonic comics though. I didn't think Sonic would get the same treatment as other comic books with the multitudes of variant covers over a few or so variants. 

Do IDW's other licensed books get a bunch of variants? I'm genuinely curious because like, I don't remember MLP getting this many...but I might just be misremembering, and things may have changed since then--that is, the last time I paid much attention to MLP was a couple years ago, and even before then I hadn't been keeping up with the comics that closely.

Just now, Celestia said:

Do IDW's other licensed books get a bunch of variants? I'm genuinely curious because like, I don't remember MLP getting this many...but I might just be misremembering, and things may have changed since then--that is, the last time I paid much attention to MLP at all was a couple years ago, and even before then I hadn't been keeping up with the comics that closely.

The first issue of MLP had a whopping 38 covers if 2nd/3rd/etc printings are counted.

• My Emmerdoods 2

1 minute ago, Ernest-Panda said:

The first issue of MLP had a whopping 38 covers if 2nd/3rd/etc printings are counted.

......This isn't exactly a revelation by any means, but man, the comics industry is wild.

Outside of first and special issues, IDW titles usually get at least three covers per issue, based on what I’ve seen.

Maybe once a few more issues have come out they’ll finally ease up.

2 hours ago, Terriful said:

1-5.thumb.jpg.8fcd53a0522c24529963e267baa5a178.jpg

You know, with all this talk about Sonic Forces, I never thought about the Wisps that power the Wispons in the game appearing in the comic.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

You know, with all this talk about Sonic Forces, I never thought about the Wisps that power the Wispons in the game appearing in the

Yeah, I kinda forgot they were technically around on Sonic's actual World. Which raises an uncertain underlying implication.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright. I finally got the first issue.

As first issues go, it wasn't bad.

From the get-go, bracing myself to getting used to seeing Sonic act on his own in a setting he was free-roaming under the orders of absolutely no one was a bit hard. Normally, that feeling of reading something non-canon to the Archie comics comes about whenever I'm reading a tie-in story to the games but this was a bit of a mish-mash of that at the start. It weaned itself away as I settled into the realization that yes, Sonic's just going around being Sonic. He's got no knighthood or link to a League of Super Friends in the Hall of Justice. It was just him.

Then Tails flew onto the scene and I got even more excited. Even I had greatly underestimated how big this world can feel when you're on your own as Sonic and you just happen upon your best friend in the same area. It reminded me of stumbling across Tails in Apotos and traveling to Mazuri together. Though, this time, an obviously worried Tails foregoes a chance at traveling together with his buddy in order to make sure Sonic remains safe (as well as a chance to have a nostalgic venture together) to instead remain behind with the run-down town and ensure their safety instead, all while putting a brave and confident face on. I love that face he makes right before he decides to let Sonic go it alone. Probably because it was one he worked his way up to rather than it just being something he did immediately. That was cute.

This is what I like. It's a very clear and simple template that lays the groundwork for the kind of relationship I want Sonic and Tails to have. Tails admires Sonic and cares about him but not in an obsessive way. He can joke around a bit but also isn't adverse to calling him out on his bullshit, but not in a bitter way. Sonic's ego seems a little more tolerable and grounded. When it cropped up it was either a small bit or it was shot down rather then fed into. That's good because the hero worship at the beginning was a tad annoying. Just a little bit though as it's understandable that people would be starstruck by Sonic in a world where he routinely saves everyone from the terror of Dr. Eggman and his fancy pants club band of robots. It also helps that Sonic merely winks and smiles in response and doesn't say anything to piss me off or make a face that I'd like to see get slapped.

I'm basically saying that I admire the characterization here. This isn't even going into the fact that Tails is being given the right to defend himself and his personality doesn't feel like it's been chopped to bits and flanderized in one direction (Lost World) or another (Forces). 

The fight scenes themselves were the same as ever. Nothing really all that special. The best fight in my eyes when it comes to a Sonic comic I've read still remains the Sonic and Megaman team up against Bass and Metal Sonic. Hopefully, we'll be able to see them do more interesting things than "I do a spinaroonie and bounce off it a bit" down the line. 

Feels good reading a first issue of a Sonic comic and not being totally lost as well. This kind of put into perspective how confusing the start of initial reboot for the Archie comics truly was. I no longer feel like it was just a "Me" situation.

I liked it.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

Finished the first issue. A good start with some seeds sown and some great action and character moments. Very curious to see the answer to the ending cliffhanger, especially since this person took particular interest in destroying Sonic and Amy at once. I wonder if there's a personal reason for that? I also love how the Facebook group combined with the letters page and new people picking up this series who never had any interest in the Archie series before has made the comic fandom closer knit than ever. It really is a whole new beginning.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Terriful said:

Found a new cover from the Sonic Squad.

EDIT: There's 2

1-4.jpg

Jen Hen's cover is killing me with these two showing off XD

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

We got the wisps back.

Hopefully we'll see the chao too!

Do you think they'd show a hero and evil Garden like in Sonic Adventure 2?  I liked that idea when they implemented it as an unlockable in the games and would like to see differents kinds of gardens for the various different kinds of Chao that can develop...like, are these Gardens(Hero/Dark/Neutral) like little pocket dimensions/zones?

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd love to see some Chao gardens in towns.

Like in Station Square they had the Chao garden in the hotel.

• Thumbs Up 4

18 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Oh my goodness, I wish this was the cover that revealed first. :lol:

Given that Jennifer didn't know she was drawing a cover at first I don't think it was ready.

Also apparently she had to redraw some of issue 3 because Sega thought she was drawing Rough too cute. XD Just a fun fact.

21 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Given that Jennifer didn't know she was drawing a cover at first I don't think it was ready.

Also apparently she had to redraw some of issue 3 because Sega thought she was drawing Rough too cute. XD Just a fun fact.

So now Sega has a mandate that villains can't be drawn too cute

• Fist Bump 1