Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

So, do you think events from the games happened differently, and if so, how much more differently do you suppose? 

15 hours ago, LongcrierCat said:

Sonic and Sally was a thing that just kind of had to happen because of how media is written by mostly straight people.

I certainly prefer them being good friends that happen to fight for the same cause

It strikes me too much of Johnny Test when Sonic should be on the level with Steven Universe. 

Uh, can we not?

But I do too.

That's an odd comparison to make there.

13 hours ago, CaptainRobo said:

So, I'm not really too much into the comics, but, now that IDW have the rights to the Sonic comics. Anybody think they going to make a tie-in comic for the upcoming movie? They did make tie-in comics for movies before.:

Hide contents

MLP_MoviePreq04-coverA.jpg

Uh, why are those two singled out there? It's not like they actually do much in th Movie proper.

9 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I love the villagers in issue 2! They look more like villagers.

In issue they looked more like city-people.

Hide contents

I hope they introduce the sheep with a name

Same here! :smile:

16 hours ago, Razule said:

I'm a bit surprised that they care about how a non-SEGA character is represented.

It's probably because, like the reboot, the comic is trying to be more game-loyal aesthetically and while they're willing to allow deviations here and there, having them look like they can fit in the games will help.

10 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

So, do you think events from the games happened differently, and if so, how much more differently do you suppose? 

Didn't Ian confirm that apparently "no game is canon"? I think they happened as differently as Ian would want to fit them into a plot.

12 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Case by case basis, Fred:

If it is extremely important to how a character thinks and what they can reference, it'll be roughly the same. If not, expect a Naugus Twins situation.

To me the events happened like this:

-No Classic Sonic

-No wimpy Tails

-But there is a random citizen who helped Sonic (the OC).

28 minutes ago, Razule said:

Didn't Ian confirm that apparently "no game is canon"? I think they happened as differently as Ian would want to fit them into a plot.

I think so. This statement makes me wonder if Ian can change details within games Adventure era and onwards to show more signs of the Two Worlds concept.

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

tumblr_p6un9voeEK1udzlioo3_1280.png&key=7fd29f252ecbe17a4bae3c680269a31fa33aebca6d0f48309096e575adc3654eSheepy! :smile: 

What's up with that Klonoa-esque girl running away?

What animal is she?

Also, is it a hawk next to her?

19 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I don't think they have mandates on villains being too cute in general, it's just that this one looks like he's supposed to be an unhinged psychopath and being portrayed overly cute isn't too beneficial for their presentation. 

Having a really cute unhinged psychopath sounds like an awesome gimmick to me.

That's why the idea of Tails being The Riddler is so adorable to me.

Watch as he laughs maniacally and hides a bunch of useless trophies around Gotham, all while looking cute as fuck. It's great.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

What animal is she?

Also, is it a hawk next to her?

Some kind of Puppy, looks like.

I didn't even notice that, to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

Wow thanks!

Indeed, it's ABT's coloring.

And inking. Maybe ABT should do all the art all the time when he's assigned.

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

(wait...why are we putting the official preview in Spoiler Tags?)

SONIC-02-pr-3.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1328&fit=SONIC-02-pr-4.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1330&fit=SONIC-02-pr-5.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1328&fit=SONIC-02-pr-6.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1330&fit=SONIC-02-pr-7.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1328&fit=

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

People might not want to see the preview. I kind of didn't.

That said I'm amazed by what I caught, just glancing at the action scenes. The one thing about the first issue that stood out were how taxing the action scenes there were. No offense to Yardley but he's never really been that good at making those look super dynamic or having them feel super impactful in my opinion. Just one glance at how Sonic's moving and Amy's hammer swings in these panels just gives off a more intense feel. If you want the majority of your issue to be action, you're gonna need more of that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Wow, Sonic is being a bit cold towards Amy.

Just like in SA1.

I think it's just to show new reader how their status quo is.

Is anyone else really beginning to get bad "Countdown to Chaos vibes"? 

Because given last issue, and given the preview of this story, I'm really getting the feeling that this arc will be nothing but "Sonic goes to *insert town here*, people of town geek out over him, Sonic then meets *insert friend here* who then spends the rest of the issue talking with him a few times, and helping him in combat to show their ability teamup before Sonic goes again, and repeat".

Countdown to Chaos followed a similar formula, Sonic and Tails go to new area, find Freedom Fighter member, restore memories of old world, they proceed to fight for a little bit, repeat. But even then, that had the build-up of Eggman potentially destroying the world at the end of Worlds Collide and the Tails Doll fight with Tails that introduced tons of new questions to the series.

I really don't know how I feel about Sonic having everyone swoon for him everywhere he goes. I liked that contrast of Archie Sonic where Sonic while generally well-liked and respected still had those who while not enemies, did oppose his personality and did generally counter him. Tails does it a few times, but generally lets up and shifts the conversation to something else, and while I don't have an issue with people thinking of Sonic as a celebrity per say, it kind of makes the world look like idiots dragging the tension away from the situation when they're screaming about how "this entire life-threatening attack might be worth it if i get to say sonic winked at me!!!". 

Something that doesn't make a lot of sense even in context because Forces had a lot of the world rise up against Infinite's illusion army, and even the ones who did speak directly to Sonic spoke to him in terms of respect as opposed to absolute obsessive admiration. It seems completely off to me that these townspeople, who IIRC was even established to have wispons run off and are terrified of badniks of all things when a literal army of them went up against Eggman and Infinite in Forces, as well as Infinite's overpowered Shadow/Chaos/Metal/Zavok clones. 

I'm not really ready to write off the series yet, because I do realize they have to establish things in terms of dynamics and such, and admittedly, Issue 3's prospect of a Sonic and Knux team-up against new enemies has me somewhat interested at least, but I'm already beginning to feel small criticisms and issues that's already not sitting right with me somewhat and it's worrying me. It doesn't really help that I find Forces' world as a whole one of the most underdeveloped worlds in the series and find it hard to really care about it in the first place, as opposed to something like Archie Sonic where we did get to spend a decent amount of time getting to know regular residents of Knothole and those involved with making day-to-day things happen.

Again, I also acknowledge that it's two issues in and it could potentially develop more in the future, but if it ends up just being the regular cast saving bland faceless citizens who do nothing but scream their admiration for them, I will likely find it extremely difficult to care.

• Fist Bump 1

Hopefully we'll get Tangle, a citizen that's not weak and ready to defend her town.

Although it's said she will be like a "fan thrown into Sonic's world", (I don't remember the source).

Yeah, the citizens do not fight much in these first issues. But let's forget that every animal character in the games is a fierce fighter with high speed and power (Even Big and Cream) so we're not used to that. The citizens in the comics act like human NPCs, but it's great to see some of them instead of regular humans.

• Way Past Cool 1

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Is anyone else really beginning to get bad "Countdown to Chaos vibes"? 

Because given last issue, and given the preview of this story, I'm really getting the feeling that this arc will be nothing but "Sonic goes to *insert town here*, people of town geek out over him, Sonic then meets *insert friend here* who then spends the rest of the issue talking with him a few times, and helping him in combat to show their ability teamup before Sonic goes again, and repeat".

Beginning to? I figured from the get-go that's what it was going to be. Although, I doubt it'll go exactly the same exact way every single time. I'd wager a guess that something is going to be established or moved forward a bit in terms of the overall big picture. Even the first issue managed a bit of that.

I'm generally okay with it. I wasn't going into these first four issues expecting it to hit the ground running into the supremely awesome stuff. If anything, I'm appreciative of seeing something that's stopping to dedicate time to stuff like this. Probably because of how quick everything was in Forces. This juxtaposition feels kind of nice at the moment. That isn't to say it can't end up working against it in the long run.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I really don't know how I feel about Sonic having everyone swoon for him everywhere he goes. I liked that contrast of Archie Sonic where Sonic while generally well-liked and respected still had those who while not enemies, did oppose his personality and did generally counter him. Tails does it a few times, but generally lets up and shifts the conversation to something else, and while I don't have an issue with people thinking of Sonic as a celebrity per say, it kind of makes the world look like idiots dragging the tension away from the situation when they're screaming about how "this entire life-threatening attack might be worth it if i get to say sonic winked at me!!!". 

Something that doesn't make a lot of sense even in context because Forces had a lot of the world rise up against Infinite's illusion army, and even the ones who did speak directly to Sonic spoke to him in terms of respect as opposed to absolute obsessive admiration. It seems completely off to me that these townspeople, who IIRC was even established to have wispons run off and are terrified of badniks of all things when a literal army of them went up against Eggman and Infinite in Forces, as well as Infinite's overpowered Shadow/Chaos/Metal/Zavok clones.

I wouldn't really go that far. First of all, I think Forces made it clear enough that there were factions of "Citizens who needed to be evacuated" and "People who stood up to fight". Honestly, that kind of goes without saying. I didn't really assume that ALL of the random townspeople were taking up arms against Eggman's army. It doesn't really work like that in real life either. If you joined the resistance, chances are you were someone who wanted to fight and had the means to do so. Granted, there's examples already of people being better at it then others. I can see people being cowardly and fearful while being in the position of taking up arms against someone just as I can see someone being brave without necessarily being apart of the army though.

Most of the NPCs who were speaking to Sonic with respect in the battle were those commanders with the war helmets and the admiral hats... and the one dude with the mustache. Probably people who aren't in the same vein as townsfolk who just want to buy groceries and maybe catch a movie on Friday night with their significant other.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Beginning to? I figured from the get-go that's what it was going to be. Although, I doubt it'll go exactly the same exact way every single time. I'd wager a guess that something is going to be established or moved forward a bit in terms of the overall big picture. Even the first issue managed a bit of that.

I'm generally okay with it. I wasn't going into these first four issues expecting it to hit the ground running into the supremely awesome stuff. If anything, I'm appreciative of seeing something that's stopping to dedicate time to stuff like this. Probably because of how quick everything was in Forces. This juxtaposition feels kind of nice at the moment. That isn't to say it can't end up working against it in the long run.

You see, I'd probably agree with you if Mega Drive wasn't a thing, which was a completely different world compared to Archie Sonic that focused on Classic characters - had a fun and interesting plot, decent and expressive action, and had immense charm with the characters and the interactions. Compared to it, this feels a lot more bland, in a sense.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I wouldn't really go that far. First of all, I think Forces made it clear enough that there were factions of "Citizens who needed to be evacuated" and "People who stood up to fight". Honestly, that kind of goes without saying. I didn't really assume that ALL of the random townspeople were taking up arms against Eggman's army. It doesn't really work like that in real life either. If you joined the resistance, chances are you were someone who wanted to fight and had the means to do so. Granted, there's examples already of people being better at it then others. I can see people being cowardly and fearful while being in the position of taking up arms against someone just as I can see someone being brave without necessarily being apart of the army though.

Most of the NPCs who were speaking to Sonic with respect in the battle were those commanders with the war helmets and the admiral hats... and the one dude with the mustache. Probably people who aren't in the same vein as townsfolk who just want to buy groceries and maybe catch a movie on Friday night with their significant other.

That's true, but I also doubt that we'd have them totally split and separated off to those who'd fight and those who don't. There's going to be towns with a decent chunk of those who likely did step up and fight with the resistance and those who simply submitted. And except from one person who dropped their Wispon, all we've seen is Sonic saving the day.

And it's not even like I'm against Sonic being popular for his moves. Unleashed did the same thing to a lesser degree with Sonic being known world-wide and quite a few recognizing him. But Unleashed also had Sonic slowing down to help with Townspeople with more personal matters, taking time to help them with minor things, even helping kids find an anniversary gift of all things. Here, Sonic kicks a few robots' asses, says a few snark filled lines and everyone adores him to the point of claiming being attacked and nearly killed is worth it because "at least sonic spoke to us!". Instead of giving Sonic a few relatable aspects and making it feel like he's someone who loves helping people, and loves exploring/adventure, it kind of makes him feel like he's above the citizens in a sense, rather than truly apart of the world, and depending on how the others are handled, the same thing might occur.

Like, take Spider-Man for example. He's known as a hero to all, or a menace, if J Jonah has involvement. Yet Spidey takes time to help New Yorkers with just everyday simple problems. He isn't the most popular guy around and when he does get that popularity, it feels like he had to work to build connections with the people of his city to actually gain his popularity and fight back against the bad stuff J Jonah Jameson tries to spread through his media empire. I saw Sonic in a somewhat same level as that in terms of being relatable.

He's not some alien who came from another world and above everyone, he's not a rich billionaire who has a tragic past and tons of spending money, he's a relatively regular guy apart from his abilities. He loves adventure, he loves action, and he hates it when anyone messes with people and their freedom. Instead of something like Archie, X or even Unleashed where Sonic works hard to gain any type of popularity and even then will stop to do things like helping regular citizens, finding an anniversary gift for some kids, or even taking a disabled girl to an island she always wanted to go to in direct exchange of something that could build his own popularity in the eyes of the general public, it feels like he's above everyone due to how much people just want to be him and completely fanboy over him at every turn.

It could change in the future, possibly. But right now, it just seems boring and bland, and reminds me of the idiots in Boom more than anything, only instead of misblaming Sonic too often, they're far more willing to accept danger and death just to be near Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

I don't know. That's a:

Spoiler

good question.

It seems that perhaps we:

Spoiler

put a lot of things in spoiler tags unnecessarily

Darth Vader is Luke's father

I think the Chaotix got that treatment too.

The rookie soldier was fanboying them in the prequel comic.

But I agree, if we divide the characters into "Main powerful famous Sonic characters" and "weak citizens fanboys", I hope it's not like that all the time.

• Thumbs Up 2