Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Razule said:

Didn't Ian confirm that apparently "no game is canon"? I think they happened as differently as Ian would want to fit them into a plot.

I think so. This statement makes me wonder if Ian can change details within games Adventure era and onwards to show more signs of the Two Worlds concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I don't think they have mandates on villains being too cute in general, it's just that this one looks like he's supposed to be an unhinged psychopath and being portrayed overly cute isn't too beneficial for their presentation. 

Having a really cute unhinged psychopath sounds like an awesome gimmick to me.

That's why the idea of Tails being The Riddler is so adorable to me.

Watch as he laughs maniacally and hides a bunch of useless trophies around Gotham, all while looking cute as fuck. It's great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

(wait...why are we putting the official preview in Spoiler Tags?)

SONIC-02-pr-3.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1328&fit=SONIC-02-pr-4.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1330&fit=SONIC-02-pr-5.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1328&fit=SONIC-02-pr-6.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1330&fit=SONIC-02-pr-7.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1328&fit=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

(wait...why are we putting the official preview in Spoiler Tags?)

People might not want to see the preview. I kind of didn't.

That said I'm amazed by what I caught, just glancing at the action scenes. The one thing about the first issue that stood out were how taxing the action scenes there were. No offense to Yardley but he's never really been that good at making those look super dynamic or having them feel super impactful in my opinion. Just one glance at how Sonic's moving and Amy's hammer swings in these panels just gives off a more intense feel. If you want the majority of your issue to be action, you're gonna need more of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else really beginning to get bad "Countdown to Chaos vibes"? 

Because given last issue, and given the preview of this story, I'm really getting the feeling that this arc will be nothing but "Sonic goes to *insert town here*, people of town geek out over him, Sonic then meets *insert friend here* who then spends the rest of the issue talking with him a few times, and helping him in combat to show their ability teamup before Sonic goes again, and repeat".

Countdown to Chaos followed a similar formula, Sonic and Tails go to new area, find Freedom Fighter member, restore memories of old world, they proceed to fight for a little bit, repeat. But even then, that had the build-up of Eggman potentially destroying the world at the end of Worlds Collide and the Tails Doll fight with Tails that introduced tons of new questions to the series.

I really don't know how I feel about Sonic having everyone swoon for him everywhere he goes. I liked that contrast of Archie Sonic where Sonic while generally well-liked and respected still had those who while not enemies, did oppose his personality and did generally counter him. Tails does it a few times, but generally lets up and shifts the conversation to something else, and while I don't have an issue with people thinking of Sonic as a celebrity per say, it kind of makes the world look like idiots dragging the tension away from the situation when they're screaming about how "this entire life-threatening attack might be worth it if i get to say sonic winked at me!!!". 

Something that doesn't make a lot of sense even in context because Forces had a lot of the world rise up against Infinite's illusion army, and even the ones who did speak directly to Sonic spoke to him in terms of respect as opposed to absolute obsessive admiration. It seems completely off to me that these townspeople, who IIRC was even established to have wispons run off and are terrified of badniks of all things when a literal army of them went up against Eggman and Infinite in Forces, as well as Infinite's overpowered Shadow/Chaos/Metal/Zavok clones. 

I'm not really ready to write off the series yet, because I do realize they have to establish things in terms of dynamics and such, and admittedly, Issue 3's prospect of a Sonic and Knux team-up against new enemies has me somewhat interested at least, but I'm already beginning to feel small criticisms and issues that's already not sitting right with me somewhat and it's worrying me. It doesn't really help that I find Forces' world as a whole one of the most underdeveloped worlds in the series and find it hard to really care about it in the first place, as opposed to something like Archie Sonic where we did get to spend a decent amount of time getting to know regular residents of Knothole and those involved with making day-to-day things happen.

Again, I also acknowledge that it's two issues in and it could potentially develop more in the future, but if it ends up just being the regular cast saving bland faceless citizens who do nothing but scream their admiration for them, I will likely find it extremely difficult to care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully we'll get Tangle, a citizen that's not weak and ready to defend her town.

Although it's said she will be like a "fan thrown into Sonic's world", (I don't remember the source).

Yeah, the citizens do not fight much in these first issues. But let's forget that every animal character in the games is a fierce fighter with high speed and power (Even Big and Cream) so we're not used to that. The citizens in the comics act like human NPCs, but it's great to see some of them instead of regular humans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Is anyone else really beginning to get bad "Countdown to Chaos vibes"? 

Because given last issue, and given the preview of this story, I'm really getting the feeling that this arc will be nothing but "Sonic goes to *insert town here*, people of town geek out over him, Sonic then meets *insert friend here* who then spends the rest of the issue talking with him a few times, and helping him in combat to show their ability teamup before Sonic goes again, and repeat".

Beginning to? I figured from the get-go that's what it was going to be. Although, I doubt it'll go exactly the same exact way every single time. I'd wager a guess that something is going to be established or moved forward a bit in terms of the overall big picture. Even the first issue managed a bit of that.

I'm generally okay with it. I wasn't going into these first four issues expecting it to hit the ground running into the supremely awesome stuff. If anything, I'm appreciative of seeing something that's stopping to dedicate time to stuff like this. Probably because of how quick everything was in Forces. This juxtaposition feels kind of nice at the moment. That isn't to say it can't end up working against it in the long run.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I really don't know how I feel about Sonic having everyone swoon for him everywhere he goes. I liked that contrast of Archie Sonic where Sonic while generally well-liked and respected still had those who while not enemies, did oppose his personality and did generally counter him. Tails does it a few times, but generally lets up and shifts the conversation to something else, and while I don't have an issue with people thinking of Sonic as a celebrity per say, it kind of makes the world look like idiots dragging the tension away from the situation when they're screaming about how "this entire life-threatening attack might be worth it if i get to say sonic winked at me!!!". 

Something that doesn't make a lot of sense even in context because Forces had a lot of the world rise up against Infinite's illusion army, and even the ones who did speak directly to Sonic spoke to him in terms of respect as opposed to absolute obsessive admiration. It seems completely off to me that these townspeople, who IIRC was even established to have wispons run off and are terrified of badniks of all things when a literal army of them went up against Eggman and Infinite in Forces, as well as Infinite's overpowered Shadow/Chaos/Metal/Zavok clones.

I wouldn't really go that far. First of all, I think Forces made it clear enough that there were factions of "Citizens who needed to be evacuated" and "People who stood up to fight". Honestly, that kind of goes without saying. I didn't really assume that ALL of the random townspeople were taking up arms against Eggman's army. It doesn't really work like that in real life either. If you joined the resistance, chances are you were someone who wanted to fight and had the means to do so. Granted, there's examples already of people being better at it then others. I can see people being cowardly and fearful while being in the position of taking up arms against someone just as I can see someone being brave without necessarily being apart of the army though.

Most of the NPCs who were speaking to Sonic with respect in the battle were those commanders with the war helmets and the admiral hats... and the one dude with the mustache. Probably people who aren't in the same vein as townsfolk who just want to buy groceries and maybe catch a movie on Friday night with their significant other.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Beginning to? I figured from the get-go that's what it was going to be. Although, I doubt it'll go exactly the same exact way every single time. I'd wager a guess that something is going to be established or moved forward a bit in terms of the overall big picture. Even the first issue managed a bit of that.

I'm generally okay with it. I wasn't going into these first four issues expecting it to hit the ground running into the supremely awesome stuff. If anything, I'm appreciative of seeing something that's stopping to dedicate time to stuff like this. Probably because of how quick everything was in Forces. This juxtaposition feels kind of nice at the moment. That isn't to say it can't end up working against it in the long run.

You see, I'd probably agree with you if Mega Drive wasn't a thing, which was a completely different world compared to Archie Sonic that focused on Classic characters - had a fun and interesting plot, decent and expressive action, and had immense charm with the characters and the interactions. Compared to it, this feels a lot more bland, in a sense.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I wouldn't really go that far. First of all, I think Forces made it clear enough that there were factions of "Citizens who needed to be evacuated" and "People who stood up to fight". Honestly, that kind of goes without saying. I didn't really assume that ALL of the random townspeople were taking up arms against Eggman's army. It doesn't really work like that in real life either. If you joined the resistance, chances are you were someone who wanted to fight and had the means to do so. Granted, there's examples already of people being better at it then others. I can see people being cowardly and fearful while being in the position of taking up arms against someone just as I can see someone being brave without necessarily being apart of the army though.

Most of the NPCs who were speaking to Sonic with respect in the battle were those commanders with the war helmets and the admiral hats... and the one dude with the mustache. Probably people who aren't in the same vein as townsfolk who just want to buy groceries and maybe catch a movie on Friday night with their significant other.

That's true, but I also doubt that we'd have them totally split and separated off to those who'd fight and those who don't. There's going to be towns with a decent chunk of those who likely did step up and fight with the resistance and those who simply submitted. And except from one person who dropped their Wispon, all we've seen is Sonic saving the day.

And it's not even like I'm against Sonic being popular for his moves. Unleashed did the same thing to a lesser degree with Sonic being known world-wide and quite a few recognizing him. But Unleashed also had Sonic slowing down to help with Townspeople with more personal matters, taking time to help them with minor things, even helping kids find an anniversary gift of all things. Here, Sonic kicks a few robots' asses, says a few snark filled lines and everyone adores him to the point of claiming being attacked and nearly killed is worth it because "at least sonic spoke to us!". Instead of giving Sonic a few relatable aspects and making it feel like he's someone who loves helping people, and loves exploring/adventure, it kind of makes him feel like he's above the citizens in a sense, rather than truly apart of the world, and depending on how the others are handled, the same thing might occur.

Like, take Spider-Man for example. He's known as a hero to all, or a menace, if J Jonah has involvement. Yet Spidey takes time to help New Yorkers with just everyday simple problems. He isn't the most popular guy around and when he does get that popularity, it feels like he had to work to build connections with the people of his city to actually gain his popularity and fight back against the bad stuff J Jonah Jameson tries to spread through his media empire. I saw Sonic in a somewhat same level as that in terms of being relatable.

He's not some alien who came from another world and above everyone, he's not a rich billionaire who has a tragic past and tons of spending money, he's a relatively regular guy apart from his abilities. He loves adventure, he loves action, and he hates it when anyone messes with people and their freedom. Instead of something like Archie, X or even Unleashed where Sonic works hard to gain any type of popularity and even then will stop to do things like helping regular citizens, finding an anniversary gift for some kids, or even taking a disabled girl to an island she always wanted to go to in direct exchange of something that could build his own popularity in the eyes of the general public, it feels like he's above everyone due to how much people just want to be him and completely fanboy over him at every turn.

It could change in the future, possibly. But right now, it just seems boring and bland, and reminds me of the idiots in Boom more than anything, only instead of misblaming Sonic too often, they're far more willing to accept danger and death just to be near Sonic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

(wait...why are we putting the official preview in Spoiler Tags?)

 

I don't know. That's a:

Spoiler

good question.

It seems that perhaps we:

Spoiler

put a lot of things in spoiler tags unnecessarily

Darth Vader is Luke's father

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Wow, Sonic is being a bit cold towards Amy.

Maybe he thinks she's just there to bother him at first.

52 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

and the one dude with the mustache

Hey, he had a captain's hat, that means he was important

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Razule said:

Maybe he think she's just there to bother him at first.

I guess.

Also, regarding the townsfolk, I see where @Ryannumber1gamer is coming from since it seems like they are acting like the other main characters in game in that they constantly need to be saved by Sonic and worship him like some messiah. I don't want them to act like the Boom villagers, but I also don't them to be so dependent on Sonic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You see, I'd probably agree with you if Mega Drive wasn't a thing, which was a completely different world compared to Archie Sonic that focused on Classic characters - had a fun and interesting plot, decent and expressive action, and had immense charm with the characters and the interactions. Compared to it, this feels a lot more bland, in a sense.

Sure. I can see the reaction to something like this being intensely weak compared to something like that. I can't fully get on the level with this comparison since this hasn't finished just yet but at the moment, drawing from my memory of the first issues from both, my reaction is relatively similar. Although, I think Mega Drive has the edge in terms of drawing and expressions, definitely.

Either way, I'm just speaking from the perspective of someone who's getting what he expected and appreciating it for what it is so far. I've literally only read the first issue so I can't really add more to it then this. I'll go back and read through them both when this is finished to have a more clear view of it all but I have a feeling it won't matter much in the long run since what I'm expecting and getting out of this naturally carries a different set of expectations by default.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

That's true, but I also doubt that we'd have them totally split and separated off to those who'd fight and those who don't. There's going to be towns with a decent chunk of those who likely did step up and fight with the resistance and those who simply submitted. And except from one person who dropped their Wispon, all we've seen is Sonic saving the day.

And it's not even like I'm against Sonic being popular for his moves. Unleashed did the same thing to a lesser degree with Sonic being known world-wide and quite a few recognizing him. But Unleashed also had Sonic slowing down to help with Townspeople with more personal matters, taking time to help them with minor things, even helping kids find an anniversary gift of all things. Here, Sonic kicks a few robots' asses, says a few snark filled lines and everyone adores him to the point of claiming being attacked and nearly killed is worth it because "at least sonic spoke to us!". Instead of giving Sonic a few relatable aspects and making it feel like he's someone who loves helping people, and loves exploring/adventure, it kind of makes him feel like he's above the citizens in a sense, rather than truly apart of the world, and depending on how the others are handled, the same thing might occur.

Like, take Spider-Man for example. He's known as a hero to all, or a menace, if J Jonah has involvement. Yet Spidey takes time to help New Yorkers with just everyday simple problems. He isn't the most popular guy around and when he does get that popularity, it feels like he had to work to build connections with the people of his city to actually gain his popularity and fight back against the bad stuff J Jonah Jameson tries to spread through his media empire. I saw Sonic in a somewhat same level as that in terms of being relatable.

He's not some alien who came from another world and above everyone, he's not a rich billionaire who has a tragic past and tons of spending money, he's a relatively regular guy apart from his abilities. He loves adventure, he loves action, and he hates it when anyone messes with people and their freedom. Instead of something like Archie, X or even Unleashed where Sonic works hard to gain any type of popularity and even then will stop to do things like helping regular citizens, finding an anniversary gift for some kids, or even taking a disabled girl to an island she always wanted to go to in direct exchange of something that could build his own popularity in the eyes of the general public, it feels like he's above everyone due to how much people just want to be him and completely fanboy over him at every turn.

It could change in the future, possibly. But right now, it just seems boring and bland, and reminds me of the idiots in Boom more than anything, only instead of misblaming Sonic too often, they're far more willing to accept danger and death just to be near Sonic.

Again, I feel like this is a bit much for the first two issues. We just started. I don't really see Sonic stopping to mingle with the locals beyond winking at them and dropping an occasional line. He's on a personalized mission and in a hurry to clean up a mess that's in media res right now. The down time in Unleashed was carried through by moments where the threat was neutralized depending on what you were doing in the game.

Also, I don't have an issue with these people needing to be saved. If Sonic's visiting the towns that are in heavy need of assistance, it stands to reason it's because the people there aren't able to put up a fight on their own or what little resistance there is, isn't enough. Sometimes there's an increase in the enemy forces and sometimes there's not enough people to help out. It doesn't feel like an issue that's big enough to worry about. Unless something happens to directly make what I'm seeing contradict what I know from Forces, but that hasn't happened yet. If there's a resistance, it's going to already be of significantly less numbers than those of people who aren't.  To me the established setting is fairly straightforward. Before I call foul on any misgivings about their conduct I'm going to need there to be something that stands out about the portrayal as particularly egregious to be worthy of note.

I can totally see the issue with worrying about Sonic coming off as above the citizens though. That's something I rather enjoyed about Unleashed. Their response to Sonic was fairly on the level. There wasn't much hero worship and that made the interactions a lot more endearing to me in the long run. Despite understanding that it technically DOES make sense for them to fawn over him and have a hero to want to get the autograph of... honestly it's mostly just annoying having to read stuff like that. Suffice to say, if I were writing this I'd have kept that kind of stuff to a minimum or just re-worked the dialogue a bit so that it wasn't as blatant. 

Granted, I think what's helping me out here is the fact that Sonic himself isn't really acting like he's above them so far. Seeing as how this is being written by Ian Flynn, I was worried he'd have that overinflated Archie ego back again but his reactions to everyone have been fairly tame. I hope it keeps up on that front because I like it when the writers remember that Sonic's fairly good at being humble too.

I really don't like Sonic's portrayal in Archie for a good chunk of what I read but I'll also agree to ultimately wishing Sonic turns out more like how he was in X and Unleashed. Though, the fan worship thing doesn't bother me in and of itself. How it's handled does. How the first issue handled it has some issues but if the cards are played right it could end up being something like in Sonic X where the fans are there but it isn't overshadowed by how Sonic and the situations they get into carry themselves.

 I don't necessarily view their comments as acceptance of death and danger but more so just finding a positive outlet for the current predicament. I have my doubts that they'd seriously be okay with death and danger if it meant Sonic got to hang out with them. Who knows though? That may happen. I hope it doesn't.

It's fairly simple and expected but it's also appreciated and works as a nice jumping on point for me. I'm not bored and I don't find much to be all that bland. It's just what I expected. It helps that what I expected is also a good majority of what I wanted too. So far, there hasn't been much to deter me yet.

If the biggest issue is the citizens and how they view Sonic, then that's something that'll need time to develop anyway, plus it's also not the thing I care the most about at the moment. It is the thing where most of my grievances exist.

I feel like we agree on what the problem is but we have different scales for exactly how important it is and how much it's affecting our enjoyment. Not to mention, there's also a difference in how it's being perceived. I typically don't think Sonic saving them is an actual problem at all and the fan worship is little more than moderately annoying.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

But I agree, if we divide the characters into "Main powerful famous Sonic characters" and "weak citizens fanboys", I hope it's not like that all the time.

That's not where I was making the divide. There's citizens who fight and citizens who don't. The ones who fight are naturally going to be of a significantly less number than the ones who don't. That's just a given as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't really have to do with being a famous or powerful Sonic character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This page is not that bad but that finger poke could have been drawn better and she doesn't give me that Boom Amy feeling. But Sonic not acknowledging Amy's achievement or  presence feels like something Ian Flynn forced in and not very Sonic like. Glad to see Amy is still cute as a button here as she is in the games!   

SONIC-02-pr-7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this thing about Sonic being a celebrity is starting to get annoying and is just the second issue. The resistance itself better have recognition. If none of the villagers thank Amy afterwards for doing that I will facepalm.

Also, just as I expected how Sonic would react to Amy at first. She needs to prove herself useful so he can warm up to her and team up, if she keeps flirting he won't listen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I read the page to see what you guys were talking about and... it doesn't seem like he's being harsh. He's a bit dismissive I suppose but... 

"Fancy meeting you here" he says a bit worried because it's Amy and she tends to get clingy.

"Looks like things are under control here. Thanks for the save. Laters." I mean... it reads just fine. I suppose the issue is that he's in a bit of a hurry to leave and is making a determined, unhappy face.

I dunno. I'll have to decide when I read the full issue and see what happens after. This doesn't seem like much to worry about so far either. 

I'm not holding too much to scrutiny at the moment. The only real problem I've had is that the hero worship stuff is just stuff I don't want to see, regardless of how much sense it may or may not make. Or if it has to be there, it's done in a less "swooning and fawning" matter and more of a "friendly wave as he runs by" and a "Hey, nice to finally meet you!" kind of way. 

Small potatoes at the moment. I've complained about a lot when it comes to the Archie Comics so I'm not adverse to doing so for this should the need arise of course. Most of the problems I have for this first issue and this preview are minor grievances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.