Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

So I read the page to see what you guys were talking about and... it doesn't seem like he's being harsh. He's a bit dismissive I suppose but... 

"Fancy meeting you here" he says a bit worried because it's Amy and she tends to get clingy.

"Looks like things are under control here. Thanks for the save. Laters." I mean... it reads just fine. I suppose the issue is that he's in a bit of a hurry to leave and is making a determined, unhappy face.

I dunno. I'll have to decide when I read the full issue and see what happens after. This doesn't seem like much to worry about so far either. 

I'm not holding too much to scrutiny at the moment. The only real problem I've had is that the hero worship stuff is just stuff I don't want to see, regardless of how much sense it may or may not make. Or if it has to be there, it's done in a less "swooning and fawning" matter and more of a "friendly wave as he runs by" and a "Hey, nice to finally meet you!" kind of way. 

Small potatoes at the moment. I've complained about a lot when it comes to the Archie Comics so I'm not adverse to doing so for this should the need arise of course. Most of the problems I have for this first issue and this preview are minor grievances. 

It reads fine, perhaps it's the expression.

As for the citizens cheering, it's less blatant than in issue 1! They cheer for him after he destroys that huge threatening robot, kinda like when Tails defeated Eggman and the people of Station Square cheered for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really see it as him being dismissive of Amy, I see it more (And she even confirms such when she somehow got there from hearing Sonic saved a nearby town, despite how short of a timeframe there is). Sonic likely just didn't have time nor patience for one of Amy's games of "Date/Marry me" when towns were under attack. Amy in the further pages likely has to show him she's there for more than just trying to score a date with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Also, regarding the townsfolk, I see where @Ryannumber1gamer is coming from since it seems like they are acting like the other main characters in game in that they constantly need to be saved by Sonic and worship him like some messiah. I don't want them to act like the Boom villagers, but I also don't them to be so dependent on Sonic.

I see where he's coming from as well. I'm just not in the camp that thinks it's quite to that level based on what I saw in this first issue. Sonic saving random citizens is fine. Sonic shifting the tide of a battle that the town militia couldn't handle is fine (and also expected). Hell, Tails ended up having to save Sonic in the issue and then stayed behind to ensure they remained safe on his own. Sonic even told Tails to come with him if he was worried that Sonic might end up "dying"  rather then just reaffirm that he was awesome yet again and claim that he'd be fine on his own.

I'm holding off on messiah comments until something beyond what I feel is acceptable happens. Like, a horde of confirmed resistance fighters are in a choreographed battle against Eggman's forces in a huge open area and aren't making any kind of headway, then Sonic swoops in, demolishes everything with no problems and no help, then is praised and given all the credit. Bonus annoyance points if Sonic's reaction is to say how awesome he is. 

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

It reads fine, perhaps it's the expression.

As for the citizens cheering, it's less blatant than in issue 1! They cheer for him after he destroys that huge threatening robot, kinda like when Tails defeated Eggman and the people of Station Square cheered for him.

Yeah. Stuff like that is fine.

There's just a balance they need to be aware of and there's an understandable worry that things may become unfavorable if it isn't kept in check. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

This page is not that bad but that finger poke could have been drawn better and she doesn't give me that Boom Amy feeling. But Sonic not acknowledging Amy's achievement or  presence feels like something Ian Flynn forced in and not very Sonic like. Glad to see Amy is still cute as a button here as she is in the games!   

SONIC-02-pr-7.jpg

What are you talking about? Sonic literally says the towns under control with Amy being there. It's the thing he's saying at the end. It isn't hidden. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To clarify - I don't have an issue with Sonic saving citizens per say. It's just that I want the citizens to actually do more than just wait around for Sonic to save them. Forces was all about them rising up because they couldn't count on Sonic all of the time, and apart from Archie, the fact the citizens have their own weapons and such to fight back is something to give the world something distinct. It removes a bit of agency when all of the citizens instead don't fight and wait for saving. Even if they attempted to fight back and were shut down, it'd be better than cowering in fear and then saying it was all worth it because "i got to see Sonic!" 

In the same vain, I'm not exactly against them cheering for Sonic doing something heroic, I'm against them exaggeratedly doing so. Issue 2 has them thanking Sonic compared to Issue 1 where quite a few said the near-death experience was worth it to meet Sonic for a few brief moments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find interesting that common civilians in this issue look very unique, many of them look like they can be recurring characters. The boy with the Blaze-hair bothers me though.

 

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

This page is not that bad but that finger poke could have been drawn better and she doesn't give me that Boom Amy feeling. But Sonic not acknowledging Amy's achievement or  presence feels like something Ian Flynn forced in and not very Sonic like. Glad to see Amy is still cute as a button here as she is in the games!   

SONIC-02-pr-7.jpg

If this was in game I can easily imagine Amy rushing to hug a flustered Sonic after destroying the enemy. I also imagine she would be pouting at the last panel, while Sonic would look less serious/upset. (Also why is her cheek shining in the 3rd panel?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

To clarify - I don't have an issue with Sonic saving citizens per say. It's just that I want the citizens to actually do more than just wait around for Sonic to save them. Forces was all about them rising up because they couldn't count on Sonic all of the time, and apart from Archie, the fact the citizens have their own weapons and such to fight back is something to give the world something distinct. It removes a bit of agency when all of the citizens instead don't fight and wait for saving. Even if they attempted to fight back and were shut down, it'd be better than cowering in fear and then saying it was all worth it because "i got to see Sonic!" 

I understand what you mean. I just think we have different ideas about who these citizens are and how they carried themselves.

I saw these people as citizens who were random townsfolk who couldn't fight back that also had a few of the resistance members strung about the place because Sonic openly acknowledges the town militia when he sees them. He doesn't make that same comment towards the guy he saves in the beginning. I judged that first NPC's reactions as those of someone who was a normal citizen who wasn't a resistance fighter because it looks as though it was written to deliberately come off that way. He tells the people behind him to run, then grabs a weapon he clearly doesn't know how to use to fight a robot he has no idea if he can beat. Then he gets swatted back by the robot and is about to be killed when Sonic saves him and helps him up. 

The other pair of people he came across with the stupid "he winked at me" and "I want his autograph" dialogue were trying to shut a heavy doorway before a gaggle of Motobugs overtook them. There was an effort to accomplish something on the parts of the people he was helping out. 

If it was literally just a bunch of people screaming and running I could maybe see this a bit more. I probably wouldn't be bothered by that either though as that'd be heavy confirmation that they weren't resistance fighters either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Having a really cute unhinged psychopath sounds like an awesome gimmick to me.

That's why the idea of Tails being The Riddler is so adorable to me.

Watch as he laughs maniacally and hides a bunch of useless trophies around Gotham, all while looking cute as fuck. It's great.

So what you're trying to say is, "We need more Thunderbolt?"

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

(wait...why are we putting the official preview in Spoiler Tags?)

Probably because those other ones were pretty large. Also, technically spoilery.

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Wow, Sonic is being a bit cold towards Amy.

The "Fun" Be-Giiins!

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

(wait...why are we putting the official preview in Spoiler Tags?)

SONIC-02-pr-7.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1328&fit=

Amy kinda looks like Evan Stanley's style in the 2nd panel.

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Is anyone else really beginning to get bad "Countdown to Chaos vibes"? 

Because given last issue, and given the preview of this story, I'm really getting the feeling that this arc will be nothing but "Sonic goes to *insert town here*, people of town geek out over him, Sonic then meets *insert friend here* who then spends the rest of the issue talking with him a few times, and helping him in combat to show their ability teamup before Sonic goes again, and repeat".

Countdown to Chaos followed a similar formula, Sonic and Tails go to new area, find Freedom Fighter member, restore memories of old world, they proceed to fight for a little bit, repeat. But even then, that had the build-up of Eggman potentially destroying the world at the end of Worlds Collide and the Tails Doll fight with Tails that introduced tons of new questions to the series.

 

Yeah, pretty much. 

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

 I liked that contrast of Archie Sonic where Sonic while generally well-liked and respected still had those who while not enemies, did oppose his personality and did generally counter him. T

 

Yeah, I did too. It's something that's worth appreciating depending on how it's done.

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It seems completely off to me that these townspeople, who IIRC was even established to have wispons run off and are terrified of badniks of all things when a literal army of them went up against Eggman and Infinite in Forces, as well as Infinite's overpowered Shadow/Chaos/Metal/Zavok clones. 

 

Heh. "Overpowered clones."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Heh. "Overpowered clones."

I don't mean that in the sense of "they're overpowered as bosses/enemies/whatever" but more so they had the general strength of their originals in the fight against Sonic and while weakened somewhat in the war battle, they still would've been able to hold some power.

That said - Forces wasn't very good conveying that, leading to them being weak as crap in the war cutscene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Yeah, seriously. If those clones had the power of the original people they were based on, even the main characters would have had a much rougher time with them then the game let on. 

In all honesty - if they were so intent on the whole "OH ILLUSION CLONES" nonsense, they should've made them have all of the power of the originals, but in exchange, none of the raw skill or combat knowledge to make them effective. Think Captain Ginyu from Dragon Ball when he body-swaps with Goku. He has immense power, even more so than any main cast character because Goku was that strong in that point of the series, but Krillin and Kid Gohan are easily able to kick his ass because Ginyu has none of the training, skill or knowledge to actually apply his newfound power.

It would make them a legitimate threat while balancing the power down for the army to fight. The reason why they manage to knockout Sonic being that Infinite was able to control their actions directly, otherwise they're just powered-up mindless zombies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

In all honesty - if they were so intent on the whole "OH ILLUSION CLONES" nonsense, they should've made them have all of the power of the originals, but in exchange, none of the raw skill or combat knowledge to make them effective. Think Captain Ginyu from Dragon Ball when he body-swaps with Goku. He has immense power, even more so than any main cast character because Goku was that strong in that point of the series, but Krillin and Kid Gohan are easily able to kick his ass because Ginyu has none of the training, skill or knowledge to actually apply his newfound power.

It would make them a legitimate threat while balancing the power down for the army to fight. The reason why they manage to knockout Sonic being that Infinite was able to control their actions directly, otherwise they're just powered-up mindless zombies.

Certainly. That's more thought then they were going to put into it though.

The most creative thing they managed to ring out of that illusion thing was the Capital City level where Infinite's fucking with the perception of reality as you run through it.

If you're gonna bring this stuff back, throw some imagination in there. Something other than "It's Metal Sonic except he's WAY bigger now."

If it gets brought up at all in these comics I'm willing to bet Ian will come up with something that's a bit more impressive. Although, truthfully, I hope the Phantom Ruby thing is done with from here on in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SBR2 said:

What are you talking about? Sonic literally says the towns under control with Amy being there. It's the thing he's saying at the end. It isn't hidden. 

He didn't say Amy had things under control he left after the area was clear of robots saying thanks for the save leaving at her mere presence even though he wasn't in a rush as he was soaking up the praise long enough for a giant robot to sneak up on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

He didn't say Amy had things under control he left after the area was clear of robots saying thanks for the save leaving at her mere presence even though he wasn't in a rush as he was soaking up the praise long enough for a giant robot to sneak up on him.

She saved him. He thanked her for saving him. Then he said it looks like things are under control here and tried to move on.

He definitely acknowledged her achievement and presence. Maybe not in the most outwardly buddy-buddy way he could but he still did. It's a noticeable kind of distinction portrayals of Sonic and Amy's relationship tend to have. It varies and some have their own preferences for how it's done, seemingly down to the letter, which I don't exactly get, but alright.

I think this is one of the ones we'll have to wait for the full issue to judge.

I've got a sneaking suspicion I won't find the overall package to be a big deal but a few others are going to not like a face he makes at her or a line he says to her or something. I'm noticing a lot of tension whenever Amy gets brought up around here for some reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I've got a sneaking suspicion I won't find the overall package it to be a big deal but a few others are going to not like a face he makes at her or a line he says to her or something. I'm noticing a lot of tension whenever Amy gets brought up around here for some reason. 

I guess it has to do with how she arguably has the greater tendency to be flanderized and poorly written than most of the other characters and many didn't like how she was treated by Ian, especially in cases like Issue 222 as many see him as pushing her aside in favor of Sally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

 

I've got a sneaking suspicion I won't find the overall package it to be a big deal but a few others are going to not like a face he makes at her or a line he says to her or something. I'm noticing a lot of tension whenever Amy gets brought up around here for some reason. 

Yeah, I really noticed that in regards to Boom in particular, which I can somewhat understand, but the sentiment apparently bleeds over here, for whatever reason.

 

Just now, RedFox99 said:

I guess it has to do with how she has the greater tendency to be flanderized and poorly written and many didn't like how she was treated by Ian, especially in cases like Issue 222.

Isn't that the one where he was a little miffed about Naugus and Geoffrey winning people over and he ran off to get a Warp Ring from Knuckles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

think this is one of the ones we'll have to wait for the full issue to judge.

Yeah, we're probably jumping the gun on this one.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, I really noticed that in regards to Boom in particular, which I can somewhat understand, but the sentiment apparently bleeds over here, for whatever reason.

 

Isn't that the one where he was a little miffed about Naugus and Geoffrey winning people over and he ran off to get a Warp Ring from Knuckles?

No, 222 was where Sonic got back together with Sally and had Amy looking shocked in the background of the issue cover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

I guess it has to do with how she has the greater tendency to be flanderized and poorly written and many didn't like how she was treated by Ian, especially in cases like Issue 222.

You mean the infamous issue with the really suggestive cover of Sonic carrying Sally towards the reader with Amy looking on in the background, longingly? Yeah, I can see that... however, that was also a really long time ago at this point.

I remember pitching a fit over some of that stuff a while back but I haven't really had a huge problem with Ian's portrayal of Amy as a general character. I suppose I just lumped it all in as apart of that really annoying love triangle nonsense I didn't like. All parties involved with that had my ire and when it was removed I thought he handled her well enough.

She was fine during the Mecha Sally stuff. She was fine in the Megaman crossover. She was fine in the reboot. At least to me she was. I have to double back a fairly long way in order to locate something he's done with her that I felt was worth getting supremely angry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

She was fine during the Mecha Sally stuff. She was fine in the Megaman crossover. She was fine in the reboot. At least to me she was. I have to double back a fairly long way in order to locate something he's done with her that I felt was worth getting supremely angry about.

Some of the stuff that I can't I liked are more (having her go with Knuckles during the shattered arc, being easily eliminated during the Champions arc, how she's brushed to the side during the memory recovering arc with Sonic ignoring her for Sally, etc.) small potatoes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah, we're probably jumping the gun on this one.

No, 222 was where Sonic got back together with Sally and had Amy looking shocked in the background of the issue cover.

Oh, well that was the cover. Doesn't really say much beyond "Sonic is zipping through a populated area."

The actual issue has her covering for them.

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

having her go with Knuckles during the shattered arc, 

Honestly, I thought it was generally agreed upon that that was an neat setup for some side adventures. And that it was too bad Team Dark had to be involved in what was ultiamtely the bulk of it, for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Honestly, I thought it was generally agreed upon that that was an neat setup for some side adventures. And that it was too bad Team Dark had to be involved in what was ultiamtely the bulk of it, for some reason.

I guess it's just me wishing she had more meaningful interactions with Sonic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with idea or rather I also hope that the Phantom Ruby...whatever the hell that was stops. Because... just due to the nature of sonic you could never use that ability to its fullest potentially because despite its dark spots... a comic for children and teenagers.

That said, they could do something interesting with the aftermath. I could see a lot of people not trusting shadow, given shadow decided to go on a random vacation and let clones exist in his stead terrorizing everyone. That might be an interesting narrative angle... if they don't quickly move past forces entirely and pretend it kind of didn't happen besides the aftermath

As for the amy thing, seems fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

That said, they could do something interesting with the aftermath. I could see a lot of people not trusting shadow, given shadow decided to go on a random vacation and let clones exist in his stead terrorizing everyone. That might be an interesting narrative angle... if they don't quickly move past forces entirely and pretend it kind of didn't happen besides the aftermath

This is very interesting! A good reason for Shadow to be in the comic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would give him a unique dynamic with normal folks when he is ever around them. This could be intensified if they wanted to say , shadow's game took place on sonic's planet instead of... both when they were ( despite iizuka's instance they weren't ) were a single thing. 

Could net you a story about why shadow even bothers to do the right thing anyway, and possible insecurities that come with his position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it really is the previous comic and Boom's relationship dynamic with Sonic and Amy being more playful and at odds friends but something about him being less than accommodating to one of his long time friends is really rubbing me the wrong way too. I get it, the popular version of the character is clingy. What I'm saying is that that characterization has been more or less dead and for good reason. It's beyond tired and is such a juvenile attitude where Sonic gets to bounce off of her like "ew, nah, girls have cooties and will take away your free time to adventure and stuff". She flirts with Sonic now but is less clingy and weird about it unless a writer shoe horns some weird Sonic doll in. 

Like, he wasn't this grumpy to Tails being there in the City. Is he seriously that grumpy that Amy's there even though she hasn't even threatened marriage on him like she did in Heroes? Or is he really that grumpy that someone popped his bubble about him being an impenetrable ball of awesome as her first quip is that he's getting sloppy and that someone was Amy of all people? Sheesh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.