Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

So, now we're talking about what ifs;

What If the Candle Got Never Blown?

...

Nah, I'll pick another one, even if that was interesting one, people don't seem to appreciate speculation around this thing in these circles...

What if Shadow was an android after all? Would that be a better idea?

5 minutes ago, Korke said:

Also, worth mentioning his latest revealed shipping agenda on his twitter, which is quite questionable.

I suppose you're referring to that "thing" Sally had with another being...

Jeez, that was something that was noticed on a larger scale just after he said about it! Let all flowers bloom and all that jazz. :huh:

Or don't, whatever. If it floats your boat then fine... -_-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BlueSky said:

I suppose you're referring to that "thing" Sally had with another being...

Jeez, that was something that was noticed on a larger scale just after he said about it! Let all flowers bloom and all that jazz. :huh:

Or don't, whatever. If it floats your boat then fine... -_-

I question, but I don't condemn. It's mostly due to the heavy similarities of the infamous Sonails ship that rubs me completely in the wrong way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

3) Spotlights. These might be exclusively a Transformers thing, but a lot of characters got single-issue stories called Spotlights that focused more on them. Not quite a Universe thing, but sort of a middle-ground.

This was a thing with IDW's TMNT for the first couple years as well. There were three series of "micro-series" comics with each issue expanding on a particular character and tying into certain arcs. We had an issue for each of the Turtles, and then issues for the supporting cast, and then another set spotlighting each villain. Given how big the SEGA cast alone is, and depending on what sort of stories they're planning to tell, you could potentially give a solo issue to most of the supporting cast. Tails, Knuckles, Amy Rose, the Chaotix, Team Dark, etc. and then maybe return with another mini-series down the line if the book develops more continuity.

Definitely seems like something that wouldn't happen until maybe year two (though IDW launched the TMNT Micro-Series a few months into the main book), but that'd be something to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zaysho said:

This was a thing with IDW's TMNT for the first couple years as well. There were three series of "micro-series" comics with each issue expanding on a particular character and tying into certain arcs. We had an issue for each of the Turtles, and then issues for the supporting cast, and then another set spotlighting each villain. Given how big the SEGA cast alone is, and depending on what sort of stories they're planning to tell, you could potentially give a solo issue to most of the supporting cast. Tails, Knuckles, Amy Rose, the Chaotix, Team Dark, etc. and then maybe return with another mini-series down the line if the book develops more continuity.

Definitely seems like something that wouldn't happen until maybe year two (though IDW launched the TMNT Micro-Series a few months into the main book), but that'd be something to see.

Since you seem familiar with IDW's moves, one question: I've heard they took a franchise and did two series at the same time, one continuing the older, and a brand new one. Did they just keep up with the older continuity or they did a bit and created a ending, at least to give some closure to the fans of the interrupted canon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Korke said:

Heheh, I'm in the most weird boat ever in this subject. At the same time I'd wish for Nicole to survive this, I would prefer Flynn to not be included in the IDW series. He had enough years, and I think it's time for others to come around. I've grew really tired of the reboot, quitting before the end of the Shattered World Crisis saga. Grew really tired of his writing...

Also, worth mentioning his latest revealed shipping agenda on his twitter, which is quite questionable.

Wow there's no way this post doesn't sound awful.

  • First off you wish for Ian to never work on the book ever again nevermind Flynn being there doesn't negate any other writers from contributing.
  • Second "Shipping Agenda" sound's just a touch Homophobic when you know what it is you're talking about.

Just an over all bad post right here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, doctorbenMD said:

But see, that kind of thinking makes your argument hard to take seriously--you're using extremes. How do you know it'll be "soulless?" How can you say "I can guarantee?" The book hasn't even been released yet. Just because it might not have characters that you love doesn't mean it will be soulless and garbage. 

This likely comes from stuff like the game side of the franchise in recent years.

I mean... You could say stuff like Lost World and Forces both have souls, but they're like that weird episode of Steven Universe where they discover crystals were shattered then glued together into something unrecognizable.

...Actually...

That represents the current state of the franchise perfectly.

A soul ripped apart and put together in a way that's just terrifying.

tumblr_inline_ns44b6odh01qzjzhu_540.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Korke said:

Since you seem familiar with IDW's moves, one question: I've heard they took a franchise and did two series at the same time, one continuing the older, and a brand new one. Did they just keep up with the older continuity or they did a bit and created a ending, at least to give some closure to the fans of the interrupted canon?

They did it for Transformers & G.I.Joe.  Having books to continue the old Marvel cannon for each while still having their own books to build their own Canon univrse around.

 

While a long shot, if SEGA allowed IDW to do the same for Sonic, that would be awesome!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

They did it for Transformers & G.I.Joe.  Having books to continue the old Marvel cannon for each while still having their own books to build their own Canon univrse around.

 

While a long shot, if SEGA allowed IDW to do the same for Sonic, that would be awesome!!

Maybe after awhile, IDW could start a series poking where Archie left off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

This likely comes from stuff like the game side of the franchise in recent years.

I mean... You could say stuff like Lost World and Forces both have souls, but they're like that weird episode of Steven Universe where they discover crystals were shattered then glued together into something unrecognizable.

...Actually...

That represents the current state of the franchise perfectly.

A soul ripped apart and put together in a way that's just terrifying.

tumblr_inline_ns44b6odh01qzjzhu_540.gif

...Am I seriously the only one who doesn't have a raging hate boner for the modern games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SBR2 said:

...Am I seriously the only one who doesn't have a raging hate boner for the modern games?

Oh, it's not hate per-se, rather just...

"What the f@%k are you even doing now?"

More than anything...

I'd compare the feelings more toward confused frustration than pure hate itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Korke said:

I question, but I don't condemn. It's mostly due to the heavy similarities of the infamous Sonails ship that rubs me completely in the wrong way.

Well, I guess that's all fine, though considering something that was brought in on another topic considering the same pairing about the fact that Nicole is actually an AI thus I'd speculate that the gender she has is pretty much something she's chosen, probably because of what she was meant to be in first place but nevertheless it feels so platonic to me I'm not too certain what kind of pair they actually even are.

But yeah, the main point is we're probably(?) fine with it and I get it why it rubs you in a wrong way, it's reasonable enough.

You don't need anybody's permission for thinking like you want to (I'm not trying anything like that in here, sorry if it seems like it, I'm no native English speaker), I just wanted to say that's something I consider a good enough reason to think about it critically, people have differing opinions after all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

This likely comes from stuff like the game side of the franchise in recent years.

I mean... You could say stuff like Lost World and Forces both have souls, but they're like that weird episode of Steven Universe where they discover crystals were shattered then glued together into something unrecognizable.

...Actually...

That represents the current state of the franchise perfectly.

A soul ripped apart and put together in a way that's just terrifying.

Extreme hyperbole in one direction, does not, a good debate or conversation starter make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jovahexeon Ace Joranvexeon said:

Extreme hyperbole in one direction, does not, a good debate starter make.

Hey, it was an opportunity to toss my SU fan into the topic, I took it by the horns and went for it. lol

But yeah, the issue with the franchise is more one of confusion than mere hatred itself...

It's one big...

"...Why...?"

Basically, at least that's what I BELIEVE most people are coming from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

This was a thing with IDW's TMNT for the first couple years as well. There were three series of "micro-series" comics with each issue expanding on a particular character and tying into certain arcs. We had an issue for each of the Turtles, and then issues for the supporting cast, and then another set spotlighting each villain. Given how big the SEGA cast alone is, and depending on what sort of stories they're planning to tell, you could potentially give a solo issue to most of the supporting cast. Tails, Knuckles, Amy Rose, the Chaotix, Team Dark, etc. and then maybe return with another mini-series down the line if the book develops more continuity.

Definitely seems like something that wouldn't happen until maybe year two (though IDW launched the TMNT Micro-Series a few months into the main book), but that'd be something to see.

Oh yeah! I forgot about those, I guess because of the name. I guess they'd probably call Sonic's something else, too.

1 hour ago, Korke said:

Since you seem familiar with IDW's moves, one question: I've heard they took a franchise and did two series at the same time, one continuing the older, and a brand new one. Did they just keep up with the older continuity or they did a bit and created a ending, at least to give some closure to the fans of the interrupted canon?

 

26 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

They did it for Transformers & G.I.Joe.  Having books to continue the old Marvel cannon for each while still having their own books to build their own Canon univrse around.

 

While a long shot, if SEGA allowed IDW to do the same for Sonic, that would be awesome!!

That would be, and we can always hope. I wish TMNT Adventures got that treatment.

The two mentioned played out in different ways, though. Simon Furman got to write a tweaked conclusion to the Marvel Transformers series he wrote called "ReGeneration One," ending it at 100. For G.I. Joe, Larry Hama picked up where he left off with 155 at Marvel and I think he's still going!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SBR2 said:

Wow there's no way this post doesn't sound awful.

  • First off you wish for Ian to never work on the book ever again nevermind Flynn being there doesn't negate any other writers from contributing.
  • Second "Shipping Agenda" sound's just a touch Homophobic when you know what it is you're talking about.

Just an over all bad post right here.

Well, at the same time I am not forced to like him, you are also not forced to like my post. I guess we're all fine after all.

I do agree that I picked up the wrong word when mentioning it, probably due to my limited grammar...

 

Just now, BlueSky said:

Well, I guess that's all fine, though considering something that was brought in on another topic considering the same pairing about the fact that Nicole is actually an AI thus I'd speculate that the gender she has is pretty much something she's chosen, probably because of what she was meant to be in first place but nevertheless it feels so platonic to me I'm not too certain what kind of pair they actually even are.

But yeah, the main point is we're probably(?) fine with it and I get it why it rubs you in a wrong way, it's reasonable enough.

You don't need anybody's permission for thinking like you want to (I'm not trying anything like that in here, sorry if it seems like it, I'm no native English speaker), I just wanted to say that's something I consider a good enough reason to think about it critically, people have differing opinions after all...

I haven't noticed that this subject was in debate at the other thread. I should stop mentioning it here and start debating it there.

 

Just now, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Oh yeah! I forgot about those, I guess because of the name. I guess they'd probably call Sonic's something else, too.

 

That would be, and we can always hope. I wish TMNT Adventures got that treatment.

The two mentioned played out in different ways, though. Simon Furman got to write a tweaked conclusion to the Marvel Transformers series he wrote called "ReGeneration One," ending it at 100. For G.I. Joe, Larry Hama picked up where he left off with 155 at Marvel and I think he's still going!

I don't think they need to carry on the Archie continuity forever, but at least enough to deliver some closure would be appreciated. Having a story getting suddently cut once is harsh, imagine twice...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Hey, it was an opportunity to toss my SU fan into the topic, I took it by the horns and went for it. lol

But yeah, the issue with the franchise is more one of confusion than mere hatred itself...

It's one big...

"...Why...?"

Basically, at least that's what I BELIEVE most people are coming from.

Why this came to my mind after reading this post..?

But well, at this point I think if IDW decides to go with only gameverse, they need lots of patience for making it all into something cohesive...

...or maybe Sega will perform some cherrypicking for them to "ease" it a little...

'Cause, well if Sonic was a real person I'd consider him as a veeery multipersonal person... or having at least a bipolar disorder, were someone to argue his personality's always about the same. -_-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BlueSky said:

Why this came to my mind after reading this post..?

But well, at this point I think if IDW decides to go with only gameverse, they need lots of patience for making it all into something cohesive...

...or maybe Sega will perform some cherrypicking for them to "ease" it a little...

'Cause, well if Sonic was a real person I'd consider him as a veeery multipersonal person... or having at least a bipolar disorder, were someone to argue his personality's always about the same. -_-

That video represents the community's reaction to the plot of Forces perfectly...

Too perfectly.

If they only go with a game-verse series for IDW's comics, that on top of casting out the former cast is going to make it an instant no-buy for me.

On top of losing everybody I knew, they expect consumers to retread old ideas in comic form they've already been through in the games time and again?

Though this is something I already covered in a previous post, in short, I'm not going to play the games AND read them too. There's no point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Korke said:

I haven't noticed that this subject was in debate at the other thread. I should stop mentioning it here and start debating it there.

It's on the Archie Sonic's main thread, feel free to go in there. ^_^

 

8 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

That video represents the community's reaction to the plot of Forces perfectly...

Too perfectly.

If they only go with a game-verse series for IDW's comics, that on top of casting out the former cast is going to make it an instant no-buy for me.

On top of losing everybody I knew, they expect consumers to retread old ideas in comic form they've already been through in the games time and again?

Though this is something I already covered in a previous post, in short, I'm not going to play the games AND read them too. There's no point.

I pretty much agree with this. Comics just copying old would turn into full-time ad that would work as an ad perfectly but not as a paid content as far as I'm concerned.

They could go for making their own stuff and/or tinker with game stories, but just copy-pasting would be pretty much underuse of the undecided/upcoming team's talents as well as everything else already said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlueSky said:

They could go for making their own stuff and/or tinker with game stories, but just copy-pasting would be pretty much underuse of the undecided/upcoming team's talents as well as everything else already said.

This was my problem with the last series in Archie where they made a HUGE saga out of Unleashed.

I mean... Going so in depth was nice and all, but I played the game, I knew the story.

The only differences was emphasizing the split of the world actually impacting the people instead of everything seeming normal like in the game.

Seeing people actually suffering was nice to see since it showed there was a reaction to the mess, but by and large it was the same plot, just lengthened with a few extra candy tossed in at the end of it all in a Satam manner.

Even if you add new things to an existing story, it's still an existing story, it already happened, you know the end results, and you know what happens between the start and finish even if different detours are taken along the path.

Been there, done that is the only thing that can come to mind no matter how they try to spin following the games in the IDW series IF that's what SEGA enforces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

This was my problem with the last series in Archie where they made a HUGE saga out of Unleashed.

I mean... Going so in depth was nice and all, but I played the game, I knew the story.

The only differences was emphasizing the split of the world actually impacting the people instead of everything seeming normal like in the game.

Seeing people actually suffering was nice to see since it showed there was a reaction to the mess, but by and large it was the same plot, just lengthened with a few extra candy tossed in at the end of it all in a Satam manner.

Even if you add new things to an existing story, it's still an existing story, it already happened, you know the end results, and you know what happens between the start and finish even if different detours are taken along the path.

Been there, done that is the only thing that can come to mind no matter how they try to spin following the games in the IDW series IF that's what SEGA enforces.

Well, I think I see where you're coming from, I can't deny it sounds a bit dull. Maybe tht's one of the reasons why it felt so refreshing to read some pre-reboot stuff after some time...

So, what'd you think, if they would instead take some (smaller, not small) elements from the games, not the whole plot though, and use those to make an original story that wouldn't go as the actual game went but just "loans" some details from one (or many)?

Would that be of any better? At least the plot could go in a different direction than in the games, considering the elements taken.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

This was my problem with the last series in Archie where they made a HUGE saga out of Unleashed.

I mean... Going so in depth was nice and all, but I played the game, I knew the story.

The only differences was emphasizing the split of the world actually impacting the people instead of everything seeming normal like in the game.

Seeing people actually suffering was nice to see since it showed there was a reaction to the mess, but by and large it was the same plot, just lengthened with a few extra candy tossed in at the end of it all in a Satam manner.

Even if you add new things to an existing story, it's still an existing story, it already happened, you know the end results, and you know what happens between the start and finish even if different detours are taken along the path.

Been there, done that is the only thing that can come to mind no matter how they try to spin following the games in the IDW series IF that's what SEGA enforces.

There were changes, but people lost their minds over them. Still, after Eggman wrecking things and a need to explore a new world, it seemed like a good fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Hmm I don't know man a lot of the "No Freedom Fighter" posts have seemed pretty venomous to me.

Actually looking back through it, posts that are particular venomous seem to be a vocal minority. There's certainly a lot who don't really like the Freedom Fighters and don't wish for them to come back (me included) but I've definitely gone out of my way to be as respectful as I can at least.

It's probably just a case of lumping the sentiment of wanting them gone with the posts that are a lot more harsh. That feeling that people are against you because they share an opposite opinion is a rather strong one, regardless of what the reality may be. 

That coupled with how recent this loss is, I can see how emotions concerning how the response is perceived can be skewed a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Actually looking back through it, posts that are particular venomous seem to be a vocal minority. There's certainly a lot who don't really like the Freedom Fighters and don't wish for them to come back (me included) but I've definitely gone out of my way to be as respectful as I can at least.

It's probably just a case of lumping the sentiment of wanting them gone with the posts that are a lot more harsh. That feeling that people are against you because they share an opposite opinion is a rather strong one, regardless of what the reality may be. 

That coupled with how recent this loss is, I can see how emotions concerning how the response is perceived can be skewed a bit.

Yeah that might be it. I tend to be a tad...dramatic at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Actually looking back through it, posts that are particular venomous seem to be a vocal minority.

And yet, those venomous post still attract a degree of support and a few others have tried to add to it to a minor degree. So I wouldn't brush that off lightly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.