Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm hoping it isn't just Sonic who gets praised like it seems like.

Isn't it almost always the case?

This reminds me of Fleetway Sonic:

*Badnik soldiers attack a town*

Citizen 1: "Somebody help!"

Citizen 2: "Where are Sonic or Shortfuse?"

*Tails attacks the Badnik soldiers*

Citizen 1: "Tails? I'll guess he have to do..."

Citizen 2: "Oh man. I wanted to be rescued by Sonic..."

:sweat_smile:

 

8 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I guess it has to do with how she arguably has the greater tendency to be flanderized and poorly written than most of the other characters and many didn't like how she was treated by Ian, especially in cases like Issue 222 as many see him as pushing her aside in favor of Sally. 

The ridiculous thing is that I remember that some people said that Ian wanted to push Amy aside for Sally and others said that he wanted to push Sally aside for Amy...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Are you comparing Sonic and Tails brother relatioship with Amy? And btw, she doesnt need to ask for marriage to be potentially annoying.

I think now I see the picture of the situation.

I guess the problem is that the way Sonic talked to Amy and his facial expressions give off the impression that he doesn't have much respect for her in the comics. Granted, I might just be taking things too seriously as I often do and it is just the first few pages, so context might set things right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anything it's kind of weird because I don't recall Sonic reacting to Amy like this in the games for what feels like a pretty long time. I know he used to, especially from Adventure to Heroes, but it seemed like his annoyance to her presence was dialed way down after that, not to mention their different interactions in Boom. I can't really say I prefer Sonic being annoyed at her, but I'd be lying if I said it bothered me back during the Adventure days either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Issue #2 will lay out the definitive characterization of Amy Rose going forward in the IDW series, and according to Joe who said after reading issue #2 that Amy is now his favorite character, I have a hunch we are going to like the new Amy. Ian described her as being characterized as an individual and a combatant like we have never seen before.

Source: https://sonicsourceblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/26/wondercon-2018-sonic-town-hall/

That's what they said during Wondercon about Amy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sean said:

If anything it's kind of weird because I don't recall Sonic reacting to Amy like this in the games for what feels like a pretty long time. I know he used to, especially from Adventure to Heroes, but it seemed like his annoyance to her presence was dialed way down after that, not to mention their different interactions in Boom. I can't really say I prefer Sonic being annoyed at her, but I'd be lying if I said it bothered me back during the Adventure days either.

What kind of made it more jarring to me was that this comic takes place after Forces, so I would assume Sonic would think more highly of Amy given how much better their relationship has gotten in recent games when compared to the Adventure to Heroes games (not counted Generations).

Again, I shouldn't be judging too harshly or rashly.

Fun fact: apparently SEGA of Japan didn't like it when Sonic put his hand to Amy's face as they found it to be out of character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Dark spots. The sonic comic has always touched dark areas regardlessof it being a book for mixed audiences.  I hope idw let's them do the same

I don't think Sonic being annoyed with Amy is exactly a dark spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

"Issue #2 will lay out the definitive characterization of Amy Rose going forward in the IDW series, and according to Joe who said after reading issue #2 that Amy is now his favorite character, I have a hunch we are going to like the new Amy. Ian described her as being characterized as an individual and a combatant like we have never seen before."

Source: https://sonicsourceblog.wordpress.com/2018/03/26/wondercon-2018-sonic-town-hall/

That's what they said during Wondercon about Amy

Aside from whether "NEVER SEEN BEFORE" is a good idea, this entire quote reminds me of the "She is a strong independent woman (who needs no man)" joke I saw on a movie review video. 

 

14 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

QUESTION: Guys do you prefer:

1-One artist for each issue

2-Or one artist for each arc?

and why?

I'd prefer one for each arc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Aside from whether "NEVER SEEN BEFORE" is a good idea, this entire quote reminds me of the "She is a strong independent woman (who needs no man)" joke I saw on a movie review video. 

Even if Amy doesn’t need a man, I still think she should want Sonic. It would feel wrong for Amy’s feelings for Sonic to be taken away entirely. The best they can do, is make her more mature and patient towards Sonic. 

I do agree with others that Sonic acted harsh towards Amy in the preview of issue 2. Lately, Sonic and Amy’s interactions have really developed, so it seems kind of backwards to see Sonic treating her rudely again. Especially since this is a sequel to Forces, Sonic had no problems with Amy in Forces, although they barely interacted with each other in that game...

Hopefully, issue 2 gives better development for Sonic and Amy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

The ridiculous thing is that I remember that some people said that Ian wanted to push Amy aside for Sally and others said that he wanted to push Sally aside for Amy...

 

That's a good example of how generally speaking, Shipping! Is! NONSENSE!

Also, He brought that up in a fairly recent Bumblekast.

3 hours ago, Sean said:

If anything it's kind of weird because I don't recall Sonic reacting to Amy like this in the games for what feels like a pretty long time. I know he used to, especially from Adventure to Heroes, but it seemed like his annoyance to her presence was dialed way down after that, not to mention their different interactions in Boom. I can't really say I prefer Sonic being annoyed at her, but I'd be lying if I said it bothered me back during the Adventure days either.

That's a fairly good point. Eve in Generations, it was more or less just a visual gag to show that while Amy is generally clomp happy, it also showed that Sonic has gotten used to her enough to literally put her on hold for a second.

3 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I wonder what Ian has in mind for her.

Probably incorporating a middle ground between some of her Boom characterization and the era of the Modern games that he said he preferred.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Fun fact: apparently SEGA of Japan didn't like it when Sonic put his hand to Amy's face as they found it to be out of character.

Really now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Amy has already tried to re-recruit Sonic to the Resistance, or at the very least he figures that's why she'd be tracking him down. Even if it's not that, I don't mind there being some negative tension between these two, obviously I want 'em to get along generally but it doesn't have to be rainbows and sunshine all the time.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Fun fact: apparently SEGA of Japan didn't like it when Sonic put his hand to Amy's face as they found it to be out of character.

Err, where'd this info come from exactly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

 

Fun fact: apparently SEGA of Japan didn't like it when Sonic put his hand to Amy's face as they found it to be out of character.

But.. didn't they write the scene?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Razule said:

But.. didn't they write the scene?

Pontaff wrote the scene I guess, but SoJ were the ones who should approve it or not. Jesus they are incompetent if they just left that in even if they didn't like it.

Sonic would totally do that to Amy. She was trying to kiss him and he wants nothing of that. He's not a gentleman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

Aside from whether "NEVER SEEN BEFORE" is a good idea, this entire quote reminds me of the "She is a strong independent woman (who needs no man)" joke I saw on a movie review video. 

 

Yeah, pretty much. I can understand why they're doing that, though.

45 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

Even if Amy doesn’t need a man, I still think she should want Sonic. It would feel wrong for Amy’s feelings for Sonic to be taken away entirely. The best they can do, is make her more mature and patient towards Sonic. 

 

Hopefully, issue 2 gives better development for Sonic and Amy.

Agreed.

21 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

Issue 4 cover, plus connecting cover. Curtesy of the Facebook group.

 

FB_IMG_1523293141714.jpg

FB_IMG_1523293122024.jpg

Sigh....

SUPER 69 ATTACK, BA-BYYY!

Just now, Razule said:

But.. didn't they write the scene?

Probably not. Generations generally felt like the writers read the character bios and skimmed a few general receptions and then used that to write the non-Sonic, Tails, and Eggman characters.

That thing with Amy felt like a joke on how she's chased Sonic so much that he's able to just literally keep her back with his hand while he finishes his conversation with Tails.

2 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Pontaff wrote the scene I guess, but SoJ were the ones who should approve it or not. Jesus they are incompetent if they just left that in even if they didn't like it.

Or tolerant. There's that stance, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

"America treats Sonamy much like they do their franchise, a meme or joke to be poked fun of. Whereas, with a much more refined atmosphere, Japan treats Sonamy as an endearing and lovely couple. "

 

 

 

You keep going to this post when is something about Amy, about someone who is clearly is a fan of Sonamy. Sega of Japan said nothing about not liking that scene.

 

Yeah sorry, but Japanese or American, Sonic does care for Amy as a friend but thanks for her being so clingy he fears her at the same time because he doesn't want anything with her besides friendship.

What I mean is that while Sonic is nicer to Amy in JP, it doesn't mean he has something for her. He's just being nice. Is like the same as a guy compliment a girl for her looks means that he loves her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.