Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

27 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Is out on Play Store.

I read it. It was just great.

I think Amy was never this well written before.

If I gave the first issue a 7/10 this one gets a 10/10, I loved it.

Cool! 

Wait, are you joking, or serious?

Spoiler

image.png.7f26818f1201aa8d1a4758e0bc1611ff.png

Oh Ian and his incorporating song lyrics into dialogue..

I liked this issue a lot more than the first, it felt like there was more going on. I like Sonic and Amy's dynamic. She has a personality beyond liking Sonic, and still likes Sonic while not being weird about it. 

• Thumbs Up 4

See, I think part of the issue (uh, not the physical kind) on my end is that I'm not about to give kudos for something Ian's been doing for years in the reboot. It was refreshing when she had been treated so badly pre-reboot, but five years on (it's been five years, sheesh) it's to be expected at this point. 

Further compounding this for Amy is her game portrayal. Despite being characterised the way he's always been, I can least understand people giving kudos for Tails' appearance when contrasted with Sonic Forces the game. But Amy was portrayed fine in Sonic Forces, all these comments about her "not being portrayed as a blind fangirl" and such are kinda forgetting that Forces didn't have that issue either.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

34 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

all these comments about her "not being portrayed as a blind fangirl" and such are kinda forgetting that Forces didn't have that issue either.

Even Lost World didn't have that issue.

I thought issue 2 was great, and better than the first.

I really loved how Amy was portrayed. Honestly, it makes you wonder why Knuckles is the leader of the resistance, when Amy is the one with the better strategies. Even Sonic acknowledges this.

Amy was more mature and patient with Sonic. She still loved Sonic, but knew when to put her flirting aside. Not only that, but she had some very kick ass moments, while still keeping her cute personality. 

Sonic may have been kind of a jerk at first, but I loved how he was honest with Amy. He told her how he can’t follow orders, and needs to do things his way. He assured Amy that she had things under control. Despite this, he offered to have her tag along on his mission to find out who is behind these new robot attacks.

It was very mature of Amy to not blindly follow Sonic, she chose to go back with the resistance, while telling Sonic the reason she loves him, is because he’ll never change his ways. 

I must admit this is getting kind of tedious though, to see Sonic asking a member of the resistance to join him, just to see them decline his offer and split paths. We already got that with Tails, and the same thing happened with Amy. Gee, I wonder how issue 3 with Knuckles will end?... Hopefully these kind of endings will wear off soon, and we’ll get to see more of Tails, Amy, and Knuckles tagging along with Sonic.

This was a great issue, I loved the interactions and development between Sonic and Amy. It had a great mix of banter, humor, and understanding.

43 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

See, I think part of the issue (uh, not the physical kind) on my end is that I'm not about to give kudos for something Ian's been doing for years in the reboot. It was refreshing when she had been treated so badly pre-reboot, but five years on (it's been five years, sheesh) it's to be expected at this point. 

Further compounding this for Amy is her game portrayal. Despite being characterised the way he's always been, I can least understand people giving kudos for Tails' appearance when contrasted with Sonic Forces the game. But Amy was portrayed fine in Sonic Forces, all these comments about her "not being portrayed as a blind fangirl" and such are kinda forgetting that Forces didn't have that issue either.

Good point, but.. credit where credit's due! Like, yeah, we can expect Ian Flynn to know how to write the characters at this point, but it's still nice to see it. And in these character-focused stories, there's not really much else to say yet.

Though the reviews acting like IDW is the first time Sonic characters have ever been written competently confuse me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah but in Forces Amy barely interacted with Sonic!

Don't downplay this guys!

Issue 2 was greatly written !!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Absolutely 1

9 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Yeah but in Forces Amy barely interacted with Sonic!

Don't downplay this guys!

Issue 2 was greatly written !!

Heck, barely anyone interacted with Sonic in Forces. They were too busy being shoved aside by  Classic Sonic and the boring Avatar.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

This time also, the citizens are less fanboys, and are more fighty!

Some of them look cool! (it's not a spoiler)

sonic1.pngsonic2.png

sonic3.png

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Hey Buddy, long time no seeScreenshot_20180411-035642.jpg.762bb3192ee6657a83c840eb38d682b2.jpg

soni4.png

Such a long time since the beginning of the war, you'd expect him to be a hardened fighter by now ;)

The best Inker and Colorist for ABT is himself. The art is so good!

Another review in: https://bigcomicpage.com/2018/04/10/review-sonic-the-hedgehog-2-idw-publishing/

Also what are these robots? I don't remember seeing them in previous games.

sonic4.png

I liked how

Spoiler

Sonic refused to join the resistance, I was worried he would but it's just not like him, so everyone stayed in-character, great writing all around. And Orbot & Cubot are also working for the new guy, interesting... Next issue or issue 4 Ian should start giving us some clues as to who he is.

Still wish there was more story but I loved the characterization for Sonic and Amy. There was definitely more going on this time than in the first issue.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've never read any of the Archie comics, it was always something I wanted to try and get into but never got around to it, especially when there didn't seem to be an obvious jumping on point. As sad as it is that Archie's run has ended, I think the fact that it means it is a real fresh start is good for people like me for jumping onto Sonic's comic scene.

Not being familar with Archie outside of the cartoon it was initially based on, I don't think I have any real expectations going into this. So reading #1 and #2, I really like them. The art is pretty great (not a comics guy in general, so can't say my standards are exactly high), I think the simple plot is fine to help set up the status quo of IDW's run. I like how Tails and Amy are written, especially when Tails is my favourite character and Amy has always irratated me. Honestly, I think this is easily the best of Amy I've seen so far, although I hear she is good in Boom but havn't watched that show.

Easy to read and understand, I think it should be good for kids, which I think these comics should be aimed towards. I do hope it perhaps gets a little bit more meatier in terms of story when we hit issues #4 and #5, since #4 is when we get a new character and the return of a more secondary character rather than a core cast member. Hopefully when it hits monthly with #5, we'll start getting more plot and more complicated story telling, perhaps try and hit a good middle road so that a kid or an adult can read it.

No idea what Archie was like I said, really I'm only familar with the more infamous things to come out of Archie's run like Ken Penders work, or when the stories got absurdly dark and gritty, no idea what they were like towards the end. But I think the IDW run is off to a great start and I'm happy to be subscribed to it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just read it, and I liked it. While it didn't do much in advancing the current plot about who the villain was, aside from showing that the shapebots are working for him and showing that he knows about Amy from the past, it was nice seeing Sonic and Amy have some meaningful moments with each other. Amy herself is arguably one of the best parts as it showcases how much she's grown since her debut and she's a lot more proactive than in Forces; it's amusing how they lampshade her being a better leader than Knuckles. Honestly, I think I like this version of her more than Boom!Amy since they didn't need to downplay her crush on Sonic to make her likable or make her into a straw SJW. While I can't totally agree with Sonic's mindset, he seems to want to do what's best for everyone. 

The art is pretty nice, especially with the action scenes. I'm growing to be a fan of ABT's artstyle.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah the art is a lot better here, nothing bad to say about Yardley but ABT is doing great.

I think that even the most cynical or not very into the comics should give the issues a chance because they are awesome, even though simple, and... obviously they are just setting up characters, world and dynamics, but it's very entertaining and full of action. I did like those new badniks by the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

For some reason I think Infinite took over because remember he disappeared into the tower after finishing him off. Other than I like how the sotry arc is so far.

I really like these comics a lot so far. Can't wait for the next issue!

Spoiler

My favourite part was Sonic refusing to rejoin The Resistance despite Amy's begging. I love how they kept Sonic's free spirit aspect of his character. This gives me hope that if/when the FF's return, Sonic won't be bogged down by them anymore. He'll keep doing his own thing and won't join any groups at all.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Spoiler

If the FF ever return, I want them redesigned to look more like SEGA characters, if they really want to demarcate themselves from Archie.

I don’t see how the Freedom Fighters could look any more Sega-ey beyond their post-SGW designs.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Fist Bump 1

About Sonic declining the offer, at first I thought, "Here goes Sonic caring more about his own way of freedom than his friends", but it seems more a case of that he works better being alone, or at least being nomadic.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really liked this issue. Amy and Sonic were both well written, that was really cool. It was really fun to read.

I really liked how Sonic is characterized, especially the small moment where the lyrics of It doesn't matters are reused ! Personally, I really liked how he declined to be part of resistance, but actually still help them by going where Amy says Knuckles is. It shows how he works, he goes his way, but help other people.

Personally, I don't really want a redesign (but I'm not drastically against) for the FF if they come back one day.First because I agree with Ernest-Panda : they already where redesigned to looks like SEGA character (they followed all the guidelines :V), and even the old design wouldn't be that problematic in IDWSonic. TBH, just using them as secondary character would be "demarcating themselves from Archie", so I'm not sure anything else would be needed, as the premise of IDW are already kinda different.

• Thumbs Up 5

Really happy with the increased focus on action and the characterization of everyone.  Don't know about yall but I'm absolutely loving this comic so far.

Spoiler

Amy has matured a lot while keeping most of the stuff that makes her charming. Was really excited to see what they did with her and I'm glad it delivered.

There's less dialogue but what's there is really snappy too. Flynn is on fire.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

19 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I think you're right about redesigns, perhaps it's just Antoine's fur that's too different from tails IMO

I thought one of the most common complaints with Antoine’s redesign was that he looked too much like Tails?

3 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I thought one of the most common complaints with Antoine’s redesign was that he looked too much like Tails?

I wonder if the redesign of the cancelled freedom fighters arc was the counter to this...