Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Came across the issue earlier. I liked it.

Spoiler

Kinda forgot this was Adam Bryce Thomas for a while. I really gotta get around to rereading Eggman's Dozen.

I like how the story made use of Amy's ability to uplift and drive people, since that's an important aspect of her character that tended to fall by the wayside after 2003. Kinda like her dig at Knuckles too.

Aaand random ass anime moment towards the end.

A bit confused by the ending: the chair and the Shapebots presence seem to indicate that this is almost certainly Eggman, but the speech patterns aren't quite matching up. The fact that he comments on "how much Amy Rose has grown" is also interesting because it suggests this is indeed someone from Sonic's more Classic past.

Also about Sheepy...

0c0230baeac65c12d5c020ee30988c5d--snl-skits-cowbell.jpg

Nah, but seriously, I eventually thought something about her seemed familiar and seeing her with a somewhat significant part in the issue(Yay!) and thus up close and from different angles helped make it click: she has the same color scheme as Drawloverlala's take on Carrotia.

8 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

See, I think part of the issue (uh, not the physical kind) on my end is that I'm not about to give kudos for something Ian's been doing for years in the reboot. It was refreshing when she had been treated so badly pre-reboot, but five years on (it's been five years, sheesh) it's to be expected at this point. 

Further compounding this for Amy is her game portrayal. Despite being characterised the way he's always been, I can least understand people giving kudos for Tails' appearance when contrasted with Sonic Forces the game. But Amy was portrayed fine in Sonic Forces, all these comments about her "not being portrayed as a blind fangirl" and such are kinda forgetting that Forces didn't have that issue either.

That was kinda my thought as well.

Granted, Amy didn't really do or say much of note in Forces.

8 hours ago, SpongicX said:

I really loved how Amy was portrayed. Honestly, it makes you wonder why Knuckles is the leader of the resistance, when Amy is the one with the better strategies. Even Sonic acknowledges this.

Gee, I wonder how issue 3 with Knuckles will end?... Hopefully these kind of endings will wear off soon, and we’ll get to see more of Tails, Amy, and Knuckles tagging along with Sonic.

I always assumed Tails(or before release, Silver) was the real leader but Knuckles stepped up.

Though to be fair, the leader of a group/organization isn't always the most strategic or the smartest. There's like four or five different flavors they can be and that's why second in commands, advisors, bodyguards, and whatever else they need are an option.

At best, I can see him throwing some shade on Sonic before also admitting he's used to operating on his own, likely at Sonic's lampshading.

6 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

soni4.png

Such a long time since the beginning of the war, you'd expect him to be a hardened fighter by now ;)

The best Inker and Colorist for ABT is himself. The art is so good!

Another review in: https://bigcomicpage.com/2018/04/10/review-sonic-the-hedgehog-2-idw-publishing/

Also what are these robots? I don't remember seeing them in previous games.

sonic4.png

They're supposed to be the Egg Walkers(Purple Dodo Badniks) from Metropolitan Highway, only given more old school redesigns in the vain of Cluckers.

ABT's art is more energetic than Yardley's, making this issue more interesting to look at. He's definitely improved quite a bit since his debut. 

Story-wise it's just okay. There's some cute interaction between Sonic and Amy, they're pretty well characterized here, and Sonic declining to join the resistance because he'd rather live freely is nice. But otherwise it's just fine. Not bad but not great either. Hoping the introduction of new characters in the next two issues might shake things up a bit. 

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Hide contents

At best, I can see him throwing some shade on Sonic before also admitting he's used to operating on his own, likely at Sonic's lampshading.

They're supposed to be the Purple Dodo Badniks from the Phantom Metropolis Zone, only given more old school redesigns in the vain of Cluckers.

Can you post a picture of these purple badniks?

2 hours ago, Red said:

I really like these comics a lot so far. Can't wait for the next issue!

Hide contents

This gives me hope that if/when the FF's return, Sonic won't be bogged down by them anymore. 

That was essentially what the reboot was suggesting was normally the case and most of the issues after The Shattered World Crisis were starting to move into that status quo.

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

About Sonic declining the offer, at first I thought, "Here goes Sonic caring more about his own way of freedom than his friends", but it seems more a case of that he works better being alone.

That should've been obvious, tbh.

56 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I think you're right about redesigns, perhaps it's just Antoine's fur that's too different from tails IMO

That was essentially the case in some of the post-160 issues. Countdown to Chaos was originally gonna give him a more coyote-like nose.

4 minutes ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:

ABT's art is more energetic than Yardley's, making this issue more interesting to look at. He's definitely improved quite a bit since his debut. 

Hmm. I think you might be onto something there.

3 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Can you post a picture of these purple badniks?

Sure.

329?cb=20171230115830

Could someone possibly provide some quotes from our mystery villain in Issue 2, if there are any? I haven't been able to read the issues in full yet, but I did get a look at the final page of Issue 1, trying to figure out who it might be.

5 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

Could someone possibly provide some quotes from our mystery villain in Issue 2, if there are any? I haven't been able to read the issues in full yet, but I did get a look at the final page of Issue 1, trying to figure out who it might be.

Spoiler

???: Another failure. I did not account for how much Amy Rose has grown. And now Sonic is deviating from my projected path. How... frustrating.

Orbot: On the bright side, boss, here's what he's charging headlong towards. (referring to Rough and Tumble)

???: Ahh, perhaps they will finish him for me...

30 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Indeed.

On a sidenote, lets see whats happens when Sonic meets Knuckles.

I'm expecting/hoping that will be the best issue of this arc, though this Amy issue was pretty good. 

2 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

Spoiler

Another Failure. I did not account for how much Amy Rose has grown.

And now Sonic is Deviating from my projected path. How...frustrating.

[On the bright side, Boss, here's what he's charging headlong towards.]

Ahh...perhaps they will finish him for me...

not sure if this is the right place to post this but was wondering what the possibilities of Sonic Mega drive being republished and concluded (Overdrive) with IDW?

Just now, rid1ey said:

not sure if this is the right place to post this but was wondering what the possibilities of Sonic Mega drive being republished and concluded (Overdrive) with IDW?

I'd love to see a conclusion!

4 minutes ago, rid1ey said:

What kinda legal stuff would go into Archie doing a licensed miniseries nowadays?

6 minutes ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:

???: Another failure. I did not account for how much Amy Rose has grown. And now Sonic is deviating from my projected path. How... frustrating.

Orbot: On the bright side, boss, here's what he's charging headlong towards. (referring to Rough and Tumble)

???: Ahh, perhaps they will finish him for me...

Hmm...

Okay, I now feel pretty confident in my guess.

Spoiler

That guess being Eggman Nega.

He has history with Sonic (and a fair few of his friends, if we count both the Rush and Rivals games), often prefers to set things up behind the scenes, and is more of a cold, calculative type compared to Eggman. Much like the dialogue suggests.

Plus, I could honestly see Orbot and Cubot suck up to him just like they do to Eggman, and his appearance here could very much explain why Blaze pops up in Issue 4.

If it does turn out to be someone else, then colour me surprised. But for now, this is my definitive guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

Hmm...

Okay, I now feel pretty confident in my guess.

Hide contents

That guess being Eggman Nega.

He has history with Sonic (and a fair few of his friends, if we count both the Rush and Rivals games), often prefers to set things up behind the scenes, and is more of a cold, calculative type compared to Eggman. Much like the dialogue suggests.

Plus, I could honestly see Orbot and Cubot suck up to him just like they do to Eggman, and his appearance here could very much explain why Blaze pops up in Issue 4.

If it does turn out to be someone else, then colour me surprised. But for now, this is my definitive guess.

Spoiler

I briefly considered that as well.

The key problem (outside of the size issue I brought up in Issue 1) is that the time traveling Doctor has no real history with Amy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

Nega seems plausible. But so does Metal Sonic -- he has a history with Amy and has taken control of Eggman's army in the past (also notice how they're using the traditional Egg Pawns from Heroes and not the Forces ones like on the cover). 

Hoping it's Nega though, since he's never made a proper appearance in the comics yet. Metal wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Or maybe it's someone new!

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:
  Hide contents

The key problem (outside of the size issue I brought up in Issue 1) is that the time traveling Doctor has no real history with Amy.

What the hell does Doctor Who have to do with this co-oh wait.

(...still salty that Sonic and DW missed out on sharing a publisher thus making a crossover a little more likely by five years)

Spoiler

I see no one sitting on that chair. Perhaps it's Eggman hidden somewhere, and he communicates with Orbot by distance.

2 minutes ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:
  Hide contents

(also notice how they're using the traditional Egg Pawns from Heroes and not the Forces ones like on the cover). 

Which I'd find humorous, if this turns out to be true.

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm wondering if it's someone from Modern Sonic's past.

I'm just gonna stop ya right there before the floor starts moving.

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:
  Hide contents

I see no one sitting on that chair. Perhaps it's Eggman hidden somewhere, and he communicates with Orbot by distance.

You know what, that's the only way I'd buy it being him, given the chair's size.

What does that remind me of, though? 

10 minutes ago, DabigRG said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Not quite; Amy was the first heroic character he attacked with his camera in Rivals, he used her card to show Sonic and Tails what it could do (before the live demonstration with Tails).

Say, can someone who can tweet ask Mr. Flynn if Sheepy had a name and/or designation in the script?

7 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Hide contents

Not quite; Amy was the first heroic character he attacked with his camera in Rivals, he used her card to show Sonic and Tails what it could do (before the live demonstration with Tails).

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! Probably because I barely observed anything from that game and she has nothing to do with the more engaging follow up.

26 minutes ago, DabigRG said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

He did capture Amy in Sonic Rivals. That was one of the reasons why Sonic was going after "Eggman" in the first place.

Other than that, and her very brief cameo in Rush... Yeah, what's there is limited. But keep in mind, this is still IDW's version of events, so things may be a little different than the games proper.

EDIT: Ninja'd by VEDJ-F.

21 minutes ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:
  Hide contents

Nega seems plausible. But so does Metal Sonic -- he has a history with Amy and has taken control of Eggman's army in the past (also notice how they're using the traditional Egg Pawns from Heroes and not the Forces ones like on the cover). 

Hoping it's Nega though, since he's never made a proper appearance in the comics yet. Metal wouldn't be much of a surprise.

Or maybe it's someone new!

Spoiler

Metal was another one that came to mind. But as you say, it wouldn't be as much of a surprise. Consider him my number 2 guess, at least.

As for someone new... I dunno. Wasn't there an interview where Ian and/or another member of the comic team mentioned an old foe from Sonic's past being the villain (or at least, a major player) in the first year of the comics?

20 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I'm wondering if it's someone from Modern Sonic's past.

Spoiler

I mean... Nega pretty much fits that bill.

He's been a major villain in at least two notable Sonic games, and is still acknowledged to some extent.

Edited by NegaMetallix

Hide contents

While it's kinda glossed over, he did capture Amy in Sonic Rivals. That was one of the reasons why Sonic was going after "Eggman" in the first place.

Other than that, and her very brief cameo in Rush... Yeah, what's there is limited. But keep in mind, this is still IDW's version of events, so things may be a little different than the games proper.

Very true. It'd be interesting considering a certain flow was broken around the same time he was introduced.

Hide contents

As for someone new... I dunno. Wasn't there an interview where Ian and/or another member of the comic team mentioned an old for from Sonic's past being the villain (or at least, a major player) in the first year of the comics?

Spoiler

To be exact, the phrasing seemed to hover around the villain being related to a certain smaller, obscure element from Sonic's Past(and/or Classic era). 

But aren't Classic characters kind of in a state of limbo currently, or something? Since it's now seen as a separate branch from the Modern series?

Spoiler

It's someone obscure according to Ian. It's definitely from Sonic's past, but... technically they are not in a limbo, only Mighty and Ray are in that because they appear in Mania.