Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

That hardly counts considering Ian was just continuing plot points already established before he arrived.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Ernest-Panda said:

That hardly counts considering Ian was just continuing plot points already established before he arrived.

Is that in reference to my Countdown to Chaos comparison, the comparison to Issue 160-161 or both?

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Is that in reference to my Countdown to Chaos comparison, the comparison to Issue 160-161 or both?

Probably both, if mostly technical in the first case.

Just now, DabigRG said:

Probably both, if mostly technical in the first case.

Then I have to disagree, because technically the only plot point being followed in 252 was Tails Doll and WC's finale. Mecha Sally doesn't count since beyond a simple "She isn't a robot anymore!" It wasn't explored.

Countdown was meant to be the arc that reintroduces the revitalized Freedom Fighters and reintroduced us to the world, and seeing as Ian dropped the memory restorations literally right after the following issue, it's very clearly meant to be a reboot to re-introduce newcomers to the series, as well as ridding themselves of the legal issues of Penders' characters. It in essence is the issue 1-5 of the Post-SGW universe and therefore falls under the same comparison that this series is doing - trying to introduce the SEGA cast to us. Both of them fall into the exact same area of following a formula to try establish things while making it overly boring in the end.

• My Emmerdoods 1

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Then I have to disagree, because technically the only plot point being followed in 252 was Tails Doll and WC's finale. Mecha Sally doesn't count since beyond a simple "She isn't a robot anymore!" It wasn't explored.

Countdown was meant to be the arc that reintroduces the revitalized Freedom Fighters and reintroduced us to the world, and seeing as Ian dropped the memory restorations literally right after the following issue, it's very clearly meant to be a reboot to re-introduce newcomers to the series, as well as ridding themselves of the legal issues of Penders' characters. It in essence is the issue 1-5 of the Post-SGW universe and therefore falls under the same comparison that this series is doing - trying to introduce the SEGA cast to us. Both of them fall into the exact same area of following a formula to try establish things while making it overly boring in the end.

if mostly technical in the first case.

Part of me thinks a number of you had expectations a tad too high and wound up disappointed. Most of us here are hardcore fans, and that’s going to really color our lenses a lot more than you think.

The fact that one of you managed to call a number of points before release really says a lot, because I know for certain a casual fan isn’t going to scrutinize as heavily as we do as people have been in this topic.

And part of me says this because unlike some, I came in with low expectations and ended up enjoying a lot more than expected. So you never know how this would come off to newer or casual fans, and it might not be as lacking to them as it has to those here.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 3

Spoiler

I also think Mystery Mastermind is Metal Sonic. However, I'm not sure which Metal Sonic we're dealing with.

8 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I also think Mystery Mastermind is Metal Sonic. However, I'm not sure which Metal Sonic we're dealing with.

Spoiler

Plot Twist: Rocket Sonic No. 29 is the Mastermind!

7 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Could be his Neo form, since is the one that makes him able to talk.

I'm gonna go out of a limb and guess a possibility.

Spoiler

Mecha Sonic

Oh, BTW @DabigRG, here's your answer to the sheepgirl question. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 2

17 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Hide contents

Mecha Sonic

Oh, BTW @DabigRG, here's your answer to the sheepgirl question. 

...Well pellets.

Spoiler

I was wondering if the mystery villain was Metal Sonic due to his more clipped and precise speech... but then I noticed his word bubble differed significantly in style from Orbot's 'robot voice' speech, making me think this is someone organic rather than robotic...

I'd personally put my money on Infinite based on what little we've seen revealed (the clipped, precise tone; the relatively sensible tactics; the fact that Orbot and Cubot would consider him boss; the fact that his speech bubble differs to normal ones to denote his voice distortion; the fact that he can fit in Eggman's huge chair without being seen)... but if Ian has said it's someone obscure, I'm not sure who else that leaves from the modern series that it could be. Nega is a possibility, but then he might be a bit complex to introduce as a starter villain, and we'd see him filling up the chair...

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...Well pellets.

Frankly, I don't blame Ian. He just wrote the script.

33 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Hide contents

Mecha Sonic

YO, that'd be awesome.

Spoiler

I guess you could count that as obscure since 1. that particular robot Sonic only appeared once and 2. 3&K has really gotten the shaft in recent years, as far as rereleases go.

18 minutes ago, Celestia said:

YO, that'd be awesome.

Reveal hidden contents

I guess you could count that as obscure since 1. that particular robot Sonic only appeared once and 2. 3&K has really gotten the shaft in recent years, as far as rereleases go.

And you know what the best part is?

Spoiler

He technically doesn't count as a "Metal Sonic" (which, according to the mandate, can only have one existing at a time) since he's a different brand of robots. LOOPHOLE ABUSE AWAY!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, this issue was amazing. I don't know where to begin.

Ian Flynn proves again that he's a master at interactions between Sonic characters. I've fallen in love with those characters all over again.

The art was also great, better than the last issue that's for sure. Amy showed so many expressions in one page, and they all looked cute.

Not sure what else to say. Next issue will have Knuckles, and considering he's my favorite Sonic character, I can only imagine how great the next issue will be.

Spoiler

I didn't notice that anyone other than Eggman could be in that chair, guess I was out of the loop for a while. Since it's probably not a robot cause of the speech bubbles, I think Infinite is a reasonable guess.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

Okay, this issue was amazing. I don't know where to begin.

Ian Flynn proves again that he's a master at interactions between Sonic characters. I've fallen in love with those characters all over again.

The art was also great, better than the last issue that's for sure. Amy showed so many expressions in one page, and they all looked cute.

Not sure what else to say. Next issue will have Knuckles, and considering he's my favorite Sonic character, I can only imagine how great the next issue will be.

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't notice that anyone other than Eggman could be in that chair, guess I was out of the loop for a while. Since it's probably not a robot cause of the speech bubbles, I think Infinite is a reasonable guess.

Either that or...

Spoiler

Eggman's face is like, horrifically scarred and now he looks like Sonic 06 Eggman.

That or the chair turns around and it's Ken Penders, stroking a white cat with a drawing of Lara-Su duct-taped to its face.

• Chuckle 7
  • Fist Bump 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Imagine the comic community shock if it was Pir'Oth Ix.

It won't be, but man the storm that would cause. If all the older characters are off limits or being saved for a potential "Classic Universe" comic then it leaves the pickings pretty slim.

Besides all the "Monster of the Week" crowd there aren't that many obscure antagonists from the new branch humanoid enough that it could be. Nega does seem the likely suspect, especially with Blaze showing up in the issue to come. As well as Orbot calling him "boss", I mean he does look like Eggman after all and they aren't the brightest bots. He could have dressed as our Eggman again too.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Absolutely 1

Classic Eggman appeared in a modern game so maybe by loopholes he counts as a joint Modern-Classic character and can appear in the comic. So maybe it's him. 

I really do hope Ian is allowed to use Infinite. It'd be such a waste after Forces never gave us closure of where he went after the last battle. Does Ian have free reign of the villains? He could give Infinite a proper name (I doubt Infinite was his real name before the Phantom Ruby) and maybe a backstory about the Jackal Squad.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

16 minutes ago, Red said:

I really do hope Ian is allowed to use Infinite. It'd be such a waste after Forces never gave us closure of where he went after the last battle. Does Ian have free reign of the villains? He could give Infinite a proper name (I doubt Infinite was his real name before the Phantom Ruby) and maybe a backstory about the Jackal Squad.

I don't think them being villains would make them any less susceptible to SEGA's mandates. He won't be able to give Infinite a name unless SEGA reveals it first. Heck, his name might just be "Infinite".

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

Besides all the "Monster of the Week" crowd there aren't that many obscure antagonists from the new branch humanoid enough that it could be. Nega does seem the likely suspect, especially with Blaze showing up in the issue to come. As well as Orbot calling him "boss", I mean he does look like Eggman after all and they aren't the brightest bots. He could have dressed as our Eggman again too.

Spoiler

This could also be a another clue for it being Metal Sonic, considering his plan in Sonic Heroes.

28 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

This could also be a another clue for it being Metal Sonic, considering his plan in Sonic Heroes.

Yes...but Ian described the character as someone obscure from a past title. I wouldn't call Metal Sonic obscure by any stretch of the word.