Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

10 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:
  Hide contents

30630006_1379226702223639_3549597478752155377_n.thumb.jpg.8b2ca05334bdf939820da89f2800cb42.jpg I love how Amy's tail wags when she is asking Sonic to come back with her, Its a such a adorable little detail!

Is it a tail wag or an Alfalfa sprung?

10 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I just noticed that. Why don't characters' tails waggle much in the actual games is a mystery to me.

In Sonic, Amy, and Silver's case, it's because their tails are so small and needle-like.

Tails, Vector, and Zavok's tails almost constantly move, though.

8 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Though the idea of sonic liking being under giant cups is funny

What Youtube video is this?

14 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Maybe SEGA sees them more closer to humans than animal? Tail wags or any obvious "animal-like behavior" will get in the way of portraying them more as a person(-ification).

This is probably accurate, to be honest. Despite Sonic's species being a key factor in being chosen for the game mechanics Naka had made, animal traits are few and far between in the games. Might be because Japan generally has a harder time empathising with animal characters from what I've heard (they're most often cute mascots in children's media, with exceptions of course), so making them closer to human would be preferable (especially by the time the Adventure series started rolling in). Besides, it also sets a clear boundary on where the anthropomorphism lies. The more animal behaviours there are, the more someone might wonder just what else is taken from their species.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What Youtube video is this?

I don't know if there is a youtube video for it ( it might be everything is on youtube ) but I remember watching something on television that was like, hedgehogs like cups and giant like dome shapped things to get under. 

Like how cats want into boxes and drawers because they like nest spaces 

4 hours ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

Seems like there's some small world building going on. Park Avenue looks to be a usual park/city town but the Avatar’s Green Hill (I can’t remember for the life of me the name of the Avatar’s Green Hill stage) is developing to be more village like. (At least that's what I think it is)

Neither of these villages were Park Avenue or Green Hill.

Finally got to read the first two comics. Decent start so far. Glad to have a Sonic comic run I could get in on the ground floor of this time.

Spoiler

Both issues do have some nice characterization, from Tails still being concerned for Sonic's safety after his beatdown at the hands of Infinite and his replicas (can't blame him, honestly-- considering the poor kid's just 8 and could do nothing but watch as his best friend and personal idol got beaten to within an inch of his life, that had to have some lingering effect on him) to Amy trying to get Sonic to rejoin the Resistance (which I'm convinced is partially just because she wants him around for obvious reasons), then finally realizing Sonic's a free spirit who does things his way and his way alone and letting him get back to it, even turning down an offer to join him just to continue her duties. Just goes to show the girl has more personality than simply "I LOVE SONIC AND WILL CHASE HIM TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH". As for Sonic himself, I had no problem with him being a team player in the Archie days, but yeah, he's always been a drifter and a maverick, so it's good to see that in the comics.

I do understand the concerns that the plots of these first four issues might get a little samey-- Sonic runs into town to help the citizens, meets up with a friend or two, teams up with them to deal with Badnik threats, then leaves on his own to keep doing his own thing while the friends stay behind-- but we've gotta start somewhere. Something's telling me that things will pick up once the mystery plotter organizing Eggman's minions shows their face...

Can't wait to read the next two issues so I can see what the newbies'll be like! And, of course, as many issues as I can afterward...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Issue 2 was good. I can see why they have opted to do the first four weekly as the first two issues were very similar. Nothing wrong with laying a foundation though and this will give the series a steady platform to launch from. 

I think it’s either Metal Sonic or it is actually EggMan controlling the army. But we shall see. Bring on #3 for some Rough and Tumble.

Do you think issue 3 will give a reason for why the wisps are still around? For me, they simply stayed on Sonic's world, I think, and I know we aren't getting much world building here, but it would be nice I suppose.

Also, we were supposed to have a preview by now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Second Mystery Villain Theory! It is Metal Sonic but he's back to being Neo-Metal Sonic and that will make the first Year or so about Eggman trying to regain control from him.

On 14/04/2018 at 1:18 AM, PublicEnemy1 said:

I just noticed that. Why don't characters' tails waggle much in the actual games is a mystery to me.

Not all animals waggle their tails, and when they do, it is for different reasons. Most known one is that canines do it as joy/anxiety, while felines do it as a symbol of annoyance.

Anyway, I don't really care about animal behavior when it comes to Sonic. There is a lot of fanfiction that does it and it is weird.

• Nice Smile 1

I finally read the second issue, not bad at all, but i do have some complaints, but i'll wait until i read the first four issues, since they are releasing 4 issues in one month, i feel that it's better to criticize the 4 issues as a whole, since things may change.

1 hour ago, Korke said:

Not all animals waggle their tails, and when they do, it is for different reasons. Most known one is that canines do it as joy/anxiety, while felines do it as a symbol of annoyance.

Anyway, I don't really care about animal behavior when it comes to Sonic. There is a lot of fanfiction that does it and it is weird.

All this chat reminds me of the time I asked if Rouge slept upside down. I’ve also gone into detail about animal behaviors of the characters. I sometimes find its use charming. 

• Thumbs Up 1

According to Ian, tomorrow he will say if a certain character will appear within the first year of the comic.

5 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

According to Ian, tomorrow he will say if a certain character will appear within the first year of the comic.

Where did he say that?

28 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Where did he say that?

He answered me on twitter, tomorrow there will be a new Bumblekast. And the character in question is one of my favorites, so it's a big deal for me but I'm not getting my hopes up.

If Sticks ever appears, we need her to be more deep than in Sonic Boom.

The characters in IDW that we saw till now are deep and have nuances.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

When are the Issue 3 previews gonna show up?

Biggest mystery than the secret villain.

Anyway, I don't think Sticks needs to be deeper, just... better used I guess? Boom used her in most episodes just to say her one liners, not to show her personality, which I believe is really fresh and energetic.

5 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Biggest mystery than the secret villain.

I saw on here that they are supposed to be out today.

21 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

If Sticks ever appears, we need her to be more deep than in Sonic Boom.

The characters in IDW that we saw till now are deep and have nuances.

Agreed. I remember asking how to give sticks more depth with a status update, and I heard some exciting ideas.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/43049-redfox99/?status=915167&type=status

Ugh please no. Let Sonic Boom be it's own thing. I don't need her bleeding into the regular series any more than the Olympics.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, dbzfan7 said:

Ugh please no. Let Sonic Boom be it's own thing. I don't need her bleeding into the regular series any more than the Olympics.

Actually she was good in the Modern Universe

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, SonicFlameFairy56 said:

Actually she was good in the Modern Universe

Agree to Disagree then, I don't feel that way. Would rather she stick with Boom if it continues on, rather than cling onto the Modern Universe.