Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

This issue was alright. Rough and Tumble were kind of funny, even if exactly how I thought their kind of characters would be. Felt really short though. Hearing the Hooligans are still a thing is interesting..

15 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I felt Rouge and Tumble didn't get much hits and they seemed to have been defeated rather easily. 

The reason for that would because they were defeated easily. They were very, very outclassed

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, NikoS said:

Is it just me or on issue #7's cover...

Hide contents

The tornado is coming out of a portal?

STL085990?type=1

I think that might be a hole they punctured through a cloud.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Nice Smile 1

Are the Hooligans back as in "the three characters are back" or "the trio are still a team of baddies"? 

I was hoping it was the former. I guess Bean and Bark are canonically villains now?

• Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

Well, we have classic Heroes Egg Pawns and the Egg Fleet. Going by that and the comments on Amy, I get the feeling it's going to be Metal. But then again, would Sega allow for Metal to rebel against Eggman again? 

I still hope it's Nega, though. I want everyone's favorite lame Eggman recolor to get a proper comic appearance.

That's also a great cover.

The art was really bad this issue. There were some panels that looked alright, but for the most part, it looked bad. Distractingly so. Coming off last issues great art makes it even worse.

14 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Are the Hooligans back as in "the three characters are back" or "the trio are still a team of baddies"? 

I was hoping it was the former. I guess Bean and Bark are canonically villains now?

Spoiler

Sonic just says Rough and Tumble make the Hooligans look like class acts. Nothing more. Not even who the Hooligans are.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Sonic refers to them by name.

Well personally I had a blast. The Action was good the Humor was really funny and I still think Jen and Heather work great together. I'll admit Rough and Tumble went down too easily but hopefully they show up again in a larger role. Also loved Sonic tearing up at their silly posing. Honestly the book keeps getting better IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

I think that might be a hole they punctured through a cloud.

Or the portal to the human world

16 minutes ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:
  Hide contents

Well, we have classic Heroes Egg Pawns and the Egg Fleet. Going by that and the comments on Amy, I get the feeling it's going to be Metal. But then again, would Sega allow for Metal to rebel against Eggman again?

Spoiler

If it's just a temporary rebellion (which I imagine it would be, if Metal Sonic really is the mystery villain) then they're probably fine with it.

6 minutes ago, Ivo the Coldsteel said:

sonic.png.5c964c409933d4c391767159df66b8dc.png

This is almost like this

Image result for sonic underground gif knuckles

but in reverse.

I didn't realize the almost similarity but yeah that last panel really bothered me. The proportions there were really weird.

9 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:
  Hide contents

If it's just a temporary rebellion (which I imagine it would be, if Metal Sonic really is the mystery villain) then they're probably fine with it.

I think they would be fine with it. Keep in mind that Metal was allowed to have some personality beyond "killing machine" back in Universe #50 and in Post-Reboot, it showed new scenes with Neo Metal and Breezie.

Man, I gave Adam criticism over Lanolin's design maybe sticking out too much as a background character, but this issue made me realise that doing that is gold compared to what could be done. 

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

Man, I gave Adam criticism over Lanolin's design maybe sticking out too much as a background character, but this issue made me realise that doing that is gold compared to what could be done. 

What do you mean?

2 hours ago, Red said:

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/MAY180678

We have some information and a cover reveal for #7! It also reveals our first hint of the new villain via a silhouette. Can anyone make out who it resembles?

Yeah, I see no bloody silhouette.  I hyped myself for nothing

Anyway, issue 3. Another 'okay-ish' story. Arguably worst then the previous two (first was first, so it felt freshes, while 2nd had great interactions and art). But at the same time, I wasn't expecting much more, so whatever.

- Mentioning Hoolings can mean one of three things 1 That Flynn has full access characters from Classic and Archie Reboot 2 Just a reference 3 anything between the two

- Rough and Tumble are... what we all expected. Kinda generic really.

- Knuckles is fine in this issue. I do like that there is one joke on his expanse. No more, no less. That's a fair balance between him being cool badass and not-the-shapest guy. Still, his buddying with Sonic is much weaker than Tails and Amy in previous issues. It lacked the rivalry (ala Sonic X) or at very least friendly rivalry (ala Championship or even Mega Drive), which is essential for Knuckles.

- As for "Chairman"

Spoiler

I'm still thinking it's old Smart Badnik. Considering it goes after ME, it's probably Egg Robo (would fit with Mania) or Mecha Sonic.

Then again, considering all the angles, the person on this chair must be really tiny. Maybe it's D-fekt

Lastly, I kinda wish Wispons will go away.  I mean, one civil with flamethrower might be stronger than Vector, 5 definitely will be. One guy with Black Hole is Mary-Sue-OP-Valve-Please-Nerf.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

What, are a lot of the characters the artists' OCs?

11 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I think they would be fine with it. Keep in mind that Metal was allowed to have some personality beyond "killing machine" back in Universe #50 and in Post-Reboot, it showed new scenes with Neo Metal and Breezie.

True. I don't doubt that he'll have personality once we eventually see him.

Spoiler

That said, though, it wouldn't surprise me if we also see something akin to the Defiance Kill Switch from Universe #50, keeping him from betraying Eggman.

Especially if Metal Sonic does turn out to be the mastermind.

The art in this issue is just...bleh. No offense to Jennifer Hernandez. I read that she started as an off-panel artist for the Archie comics, but I don't think her art style has evolved to fit a full issue of a comic. It's so bland and lacking in detail, some characters are drawn off-model, Knuckles especially looks weird 90% of the time.

This is a far cry from Adam Bryce Thomas' gorgeous art of the last issue, with expressive characters and action scenes that have a lot of impact.

I can't say this issue really did much in terms of Knuckles' characterization, I think Ian did a much better job with Tails and Amy. Rough & Tumble are very similar to Team Rocket from Pokemon, and that's...about it, there's nothing unique about them at all, they seem like bootleg versions of Team Hooligan.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with this issue. Sorry to sound so negative, but I really had very high hopes for this considering the last two issues and the fact the Knuckles is my favorite character ever.

Let's hope the next issue is better!

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

True. I don't doubt that he'll have personality once we eventually see him.

Hide contents

That said, though, it wouldn't surprise me if we also see something akin to the Defiance Kill Switch from Universe #50, keeping him from betraying Eggman.

Especially if Metal Sonic does turn out to be the mastermind.

Spoiler

I could legitimately see this being Eggman's intro to the series.

Like imagine Metal's plans actually work and he manages to successfully beat Sonic and co. Sonic's on the ground and Metal goes in for the kill, only for him to be hit with an electrical shock of some kind and Eggman stepping in to say something like "Just because I'm gone for a few months doesn't mean you get to do as you please my faithful little creation". 

Eggman's own ego means he lets Sonic go, because Eggman wouldn't be able to handle the fact it wasn't his own plan that beat Sonic. Infinite's beating of Sonic was different, he created that plan with the ruby's power. Eggman wouldn't be able to deal with the fact his arch-nemesis was defeated through a plan created by his underling of all people.

It would also make sense for Metal to be the villain, he'd have a grudge against Eggman since he seemingly replaced Metal for a illusion in Forces.

• Thumbs Up 4

I've quoted it before, but here's a refresher on what Ian Flynn has said about the mystery villain:

It's about the journey rather than the destination.

Exactly. That being said, folks who know my writing style know I love the long con, so we're going to be setting up a surprise early on that will play out within the first year. There's a new antagonistic force that...I don't know if I can talk about it, but the first four issues are all bite-sized, but they're all building to something, and boy howdy, it'll be amazing once we get there.

Any hints you can drop about this new antagonistic force or what direction it'll be taking the story in?

I will say that long-term fans will probably piece it together very early on. Casual fans will find it new, exciting, and interesting. They might not even know that it's a reference to something older.

So it'll feel like a new antagonist but is based on something obscure from the games' past?

Yeah. We'll put it that way.

I'm not sure if he's made any further comments since, but the way this is worded seems to suggest that the new force may not be something so straightforward as an old character.  I would say it's unlikely to be a character who appeared in two different games just last year.

Spoiler

I do think that Metal Sonic is probably a deliberate red herring, though; he's what Ian Flynn wants you to think.  But the only way I could reconcile it being straight-up Metal Sonic without Flynn having lied is if it was also an adaptation of the StC Metallix arc, or something similarly transformative.  Similarly, I'm not sure that Eggman Nega clears the "might not even know it's a reference to something older" threshold, since at the end of the day he's just Eggman, really.  Infinite is right out.

Personally, I wonder just how much we can read into the description, "a new antagonistic force"?  As in, they were never an antagonistic force before...?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Razule said:

What, are a lot of the characters the artists' OCs?

There's like five (at least, dunno about sheep guy) of them in there, but my issue is more that I think they're pretty weak designs to begin with. That's why I've never liked them in the 13 years I've been in the fandom. 

14 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

The art in this issue is just...bleh. No offense to Jennifer Hernandez. I read that she started as an off-panel artist for the Archie comics, but I don't think her art style has evolved to fit a full issue of a comic. It's so bland and lacking in detail, some characters are drawn off-model, Knuckles especially looks weird 90% of the time.

Jennifer did a lot of work on full issues on Archie Sonic and those were amazing. They had really nice artwork and were extremely expressive. Compared to the likes of say Tracey or ABT, her work had their own flare to them.

In all honesty, I predict this to be behind the scenes issues rather than the norm. This was a clear distinction between previous works she did for Archie and the work here. 

In all honesty, it seems more like the colouring and inking is off. There's a few images that's off-model too. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1