Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

About the antagonist

Spoiler

Didn't Flynn flat out say he disliked the ending of Heroes, with Metal turning into a giant robotic dragon?

Wouldn't surprise me if he used this as a chance to make this a stealth rewrite of the Heroes plot

Well that was boring.

The best part was Jenniffer's OCs as cameos.

Rough and Tumble are very generic,  they have nothing going for them. Are you kidding me that the Hooligans could be replaced by them... I kinda don't want to see them again.

The art also is worse than ABT's but is not bad. I prefer it over Yardley's art tbh. Diana Skelly still trumps them all imo.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not really sure what to say about this issue. Even more so than the Tails'  issue I didn't feel like the story did anything really and the interactions between Sonic and Knuckles had almost no character. There's nothing to make you think that either character has a rivalry except for a couple of throwaway lines that don't really pop out. As for the art, it wasn't my cup of tea by any stretch and I actually find that I missed most of the problems the art had because it just didn't draw my enough to really soak it up. Instead I found myself primarily reading relying on the art to show me what was going on in lieu of written narration like in a normal book. As for Rough and Tumble, they thought to take on Sonic and Knuckles with only wispons which barely make use of a Wisps true powers so their loss was rather expected. Their personalities have potential but it will really depend on their use. If they are recurring Team Rocket-esque characters earlier on it'll be a nice bit of comic relief but will need to evolve quickly so as not to become stale.

Comparing this issue to the last two I find it stronger than 1 and weaker than 2. Despite finding it stronger than 1 though I don't think I was as thoroughly entertained here as I was with 1. Lastly, I also feel like this issue is almost more side story already than main story as nothing pertaining to what's going on the world happens. The issue mostly just aims to introduce Knuckles but the setting doesn't do much to really remind us who he is and why that matters. No rivalry, no duty, no treasure hunting, no problem solving. All Knuckles really does here is punch things and that's kind of disappointing. 

23 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Jennifer did a lot of work on full issues on Archie Sonic and those were amazing. They had really nice artwork and were extremely expressive. Compared to the likes of say Tracey or ABT, her work had their own flare to them.

In all honesty, I predict this to be behind the scenes issues rather than the norm. This was a clear distinction between previous works she did for Archie and the work here. 

In all honesty, it seems more like the colouring and inking is off. There's a few images that's off-model too. 

The difference is just the inconsistent thick inking. Nothing more :P

24 minutes ago, FFWF said:

I've quoted it before, but here's a refresher on what Ian Flynn has said about the mystery villain:

I'm not sure if he's made any further comments since, but the way this is worded seems to suggest that the new force may not be something so straightforward as an old character.

Hmm, that's a really good point. Now that I looked more closely, Flynn is extremely vague about "Chairman" identity. He might a new character, somehow connected to something old. And "old" doesn't even has to mean classic series.

Heck, Flynn didn't even say he must be from the games, it's the other guy who came to this conclusion.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Red said:

Issue #3 is out now and I like it even better than the last one. This issue was absolutely hilarious!

Reveal hidden contents

Sonic absolutely loses it when Rough and Tumble introduce themselves. He can't take them seriously at all!

Dang, already?! That was fast.

Anyone else notice Saffron in the fourth preview page?

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Dang, already?! That was fast.

Anyone else notice Saffron in the fourth preview page?

Spoiler

She's a butterfly, she appears also at the end. I love to see the artists's own OCs, I'll take stylish OCs over bland citizens any day! It makes Sonic's world rich!

19 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

The difference is just the inconsistent thick inking. Nothing more :P

Which admittedly was done by Jen and I don't think she's done her own Inks on a full book before.

34 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Hmm, that's a really good point. Now that I looked more closely, Flynn is extremely vague about "Chairman" identity. He might a new character, somehow connected to something old. And "old" doesn't even has to mean classic series.

Heck, Flynn didn't even say he must be from the games, it's the other guy who came to this conclusion.

Ironically, after reflecting on it a while then my current theory is that it's:

Spoiler

Eggman Nega.  Yes, the character I specifically said I wasn't sure about.  But the more I thought about it, the more I could see how he lined up with all the clues and Flynn's statements alike.  It explains how he could breeze in and co-opt Eggman's forces so easily, readily adopted by Orbot and Cubot as equivalent to their true boss.  It explains the remark about Amy; he encountered her in the context of Rush and Rivals.  It might explain why Blaze is around, it might even retroactively explain why Silver's around and why some of the Forces badniks had designs which fans considered to be strangely Nega-flavoured.  And he is both a comparatively obscure and an old character; his appearances are exclusive to spin-offs, and his last non-sports appearance was ten years ago!

The kicker for me was Flynn's suggestion that "long-term fans will probably piece it together very early on."  Well, considering the clues we've been given, as we near the end of that four-issue inaugural period - there's nothing which points directly to the truth being anything too obscure or radical.  It's not going to be Maria Robotnik who is secretly alive and evil and is also Witchcart.  It has to be something which fits broader strokes than that.

34 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:
  Hide contents

She's a butterfly, she appears also at the end. I love to see the artists's own OCs, I'll take stylish OCs over bland citizens any day! It makes Sonic's world rich!

Really now? That's clever.

Yeah, I read about that. I hope it wasn't too many of them.

I binged #2 & #3 today and really the best I can sum it up as is this: flimsy plot, great character bouncing.  I think the poor, repetitive story beats encouraged Ian to really give us his A game in getting Tails, Amy and Knuckles to mesh so brilliantly with Sonic.  Shame Rough and Tumble are only here to, I assume, keep the villains from simply being another Badnik horde, since they're pretty bland otherwise.  Hopefully that name drop of the Hooligans was meant as something more than a simple easter egg.  Also, I don't what he's been doing specifically, but ABT must have spent the gap between Archie's cancellation and IDW's revival sharpening up his skills.  It's simply astonishing to compare his earliest Archie work with his recent stuff.  Shame Jennifer's had a more opposite effect.

So far, I think it's not the perfect start (the plots and the fact that it's a Forces follow up do not help it in the slightest), but I do appreciate the heapings of effort being thrown in.  On a final note of praise, I absolutely loved how Sonic kept rebuffing Amy's attempts at joining Sega's version of the Freedom Fighters.  Great to see his soldier under orders days are over and we're finally back to his free roaming spirit persona.

• Nice Smile 2

These comics keep getting better and better. Issue 3 was easily the best of the 3 so far. Sonic and Knuckles's interactions were well executed. The story didn't feel like another repeat of issue 1, and we finally got some villains, instead of more robots to fight.

I also liked how this comic did what Sonic Forces was too lazy to do, and bothered explaining why the wisps were involved. It was an interesting idea to have the new villains Rough and Tumble trick a town into handing over their wispons, so they could use them to take over.

I liked how Sonic was able to get the wispons to fight for themselves, instead of always letting some evil force control them. I also liked how Sonic laughed whenever he heard Rough and Tumble announce their names, while Knuckles stood there taking them like an actual challenge.

The action in this comic was more entertaining as well. Surprisingly, the comic didn't end like repeats of issues 1 and 2. While it is implied that Sonic is splitting paths with Knuckles, it instead ends with Sonic and Knuckles celebrating for saving a town, and saving the wisps. Of course, it still ends with a closing monologue by the mysterious villain, but this time, it sounds a bit more alarming.

We already knew at the end of issue 1 that their plan to kill Sonic and Amy would fail, along with their plan to stop Sonic and Knuckles at the end of issue 2, this time however, it's harder to tell what will happen.

They're  not after Tangle and Blaze, who will appear in next week's issue, they're instead after the master emerald, since Knuckles is now away from it. It really makes next week's issue a bit more unpredictable than the cliffhangers from the previous issues.

Issue 3 was another great issue. I look forward to Tangle's debut, along with seeing the return of Blaze. I hope we get an explanation of why Blaze wasn't included in Sonic Forces.

Rough and Tumble are by far my favorite new characters in the bunch! They're such fun villains; I'm excited to see how they use them in later issues. Knuckles was also really well written here! Also, shout out to ChibiJenHen for her OC's making cameo appearances here~ Loved it~!

25 minutes ago, Razule said:

There's no point in spoiler tagging 

Reveal hidden contents

a link

to officially released information, especially when you don't give any context to what it is.  

the reddit post I got it from spoilered the link

Rushed. Sonic Rushed.

I feel like Rough and Tumble barely got a chance to introduce themselves before they fought S&K. The fight wasn't even very long.

Very positive, 10/10.

Unless I miss something its weird the shadow issue doesn't have shadow on the cover. 

I feel like that would help sales, maybe an alt cover maybe?

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Unless I miss something its weird the shadow issue doesn't have shadow on the cover. 

I feel like that would help sales, maybe an alt cover maybe?

It’s only one cover. He’ll likely be on one of the others.

3 hours ago, BlossomHaze said:

Rough and Tumble are by far my favorite new characters in the bunch!

So they better than... background OC nr 3 and 4?

Just saying, we're barely in 3rd isues.

Just now, MetalSkulkBane said:

So they better than... background OC nr 3 and 4?

Just saying, we're barely in 3rd isues.

Okay? I'm just stating my opinion? =/ Am I not allowed to like them?