Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

It's not like Team Hooligans is an official term. Ian practically invented everything we take as fact about 2/3rds of that team by now, and he's pretty good at finding the edge cases of what he can and can't do, like saving Uncle Chuck from the chopping block by just dropping the family title, and he's said a few times now that the fanbase is a tad banal in their understanding of the regulations. On one hand he may be getting away with it because it's a small winking reference in dialog only, on the other I don't know how set in stone whose stuck where really is.

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

It actually looked like it did hurt her a little; she seemed to recoil from the explosions.  Nonetheless, whenever the characters roll through exploding badniks in the games, it doesn't seem to do them much damage, so I think there's simply a quietly selective rule about what actually hurts people in this series.

I don't think enemies are suppose explode, specifically because the spinning...it's like the difference of why the animal pops out of the shark missile badnik in Hydrocity Zone when you jump on it and it doesn't when the enemy runs into you then explodes normally.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but something unusual I just noticed about the mystery villain....

Spoiler

....he seems to be in a different location every time we see him - his chair is completely dissimilar in each issue. The first issue has him in a fairly generic high backed Eggman chair; the second had him in a more ornate version with a slightly different profile and Orbot and Cubot were present; while in the third, the chair is completely different, being sleek and curved instead of angular.

Either he's moving around a lot or he's somehow in multiple places at once - if he's even physically present at all, the chairs seem curiously empty, with not even a partial silhouette of an occupant ever visible; I would have thought someone like Eggman Nega would have been at least partially visible even if shrouded.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's just a communicator in each of the chairs and he's directing each base remotely or if there's something else weird going on, like multiple Infinite illusions working simultaneously or Brotherhood of Metallix style Metal Sonic copies all synced together.

11 minutes ago, Nestor said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but something unusual I just noticed about the mystery villain....

Hide contents

....he seems to be in a different location every time we see him - his chair is completely dissimilar in each issue. The first issue has him in a fairly generic high backed Eggman chair; the second had him in a more ornate version with a slightly different profile and Orbot and Cubot were present; while in the third, the chair is completely different, being sleek and curved instead of angular.

Either he's moving around a lot or he's somehow in multiple places at once - if he's even physically present at all, the chairs seem curiously empty, with not even a partial silhouette of an occupant ever visible; I would have thought someone like Eggman Nega would have been at least partially visible even if shrouded.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's just a communicator in each of the chairs and he's directing each base remotely or if there's something else weird going on, like multiple Infinite illusions working simultaneously or Brotherhood of Metallix style Metal Sonic copies all synced together.

Perhaps it's just from  a lack of communication between the artists, meaning an

Spoiler

inconsistent chair.

18 minutes ago, SaberX said:

Noo, really? Whats next? Knuckles gliding?

Look, if you both guys doesn't really have interest on answering then don't. At least wouldn't waste my time reading "anthromorphic in a nutshell" type of posts.

Dude nobody is being rude to you, like at ALL. If you can't stomach even these simple, innocuous replies then maybe you shouldn't be positing these types of questions, especially ones that invite these precise replies.

If someone's tone of voice implies the question or asker being dumb then I can understand the frustration, but nobody's been doing that from what I see.

1 hour ago, Nestor said:

Hide contents

I just watched "Game Theory" so I would love to dissect it to the smallest detail.... but I think Marco is right. It's probably just artists inconsistency.

Infinite's identity taught me not to jump to overanalyze stuff. (At least, not with things that I'll be soon proven wrong.)

On 19/04/2018 at 12:10 AM, Irish David said:

Is it just me or does the art look a bit off in this issue? Don't get me wrong, I love Jennifer's work but something about it doesn't look right, It might be the colours or the lines but I just can't put my finger on it. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of this issue, I like Rough and Tumble, I like them a lot. Hopefully we can get more character development for them in the future. Now onto the final issue of the month and a certain ring tailed lemur's first appearance. Oh and a Team Hooilgan reference :clap_tone2:

Ok, I’m going to retract my issues with the artwork in #3. I picked up the physical version of #3 yesterday and the artwork is better than the digital version I downloaded on Wednesday, I knew something didn’t look right but must have been the way the digital version looked because in the flesh I really liked it.

2 hours ago, SaberX said:

So they can give me whatever the answer as long they're not rude? Well, nice.

Nobody is obligated to give you the answers that you want or deem correct. And if you don't like their answers then you're free to not respond to them and act like a jackass towards them.

Also you can officially drop it.

11 minutes ago, SaberX said:

And then we're back in the main point. Whats the point of answering if you don't really want to even answer?

I think the worst offender in the whole story is you. Instead of seeing the wide picture, you just go straight to "uh you're rude" and "you don't have stomach". Someone could ask something like "hey, do anybody here know when they gonna launch the next issue?" and then a guy with no interest to answer goes by saying "when it releases". He is not being rude in this case either . Does that means he needs to be like that? Do I have to answer something I got no interest? Just move on and let someone else answer then.

You were told to drop this as this has nothing to do with the topic at hand and is derailing it and we don’t take either obnoxiousness nor insubordination towards Staff lightly. For this you can have a strike.

We are going to tell you once again to drop it and get back on topic in a calm and constructive manner as opposed to throwing temper tantrums if you choose to post here. Otherwise you will get another strike and a lengthy suspension to go with it. That’s enough.

I wonder what's the point of Blaze being in the issue. It looks like the first few issue is going to be a "Sonic and [one game character], plus background and maybe a villain" format, but Blaze is from another dimension and the book is currently in a post-Forces setting. Doesn't help they have to fit whatever they're doing in a single issue.

Maybe because Tangle isn't enough to support the issue? Or because the first three issues was too similar and they needed a breath of fresh air?

Just now, KoDaiko said:

I wonder what's the point of Blaze being in the issue. It looks like the first few issue is going to be a "Sonic and [one game character], plus background and maybe a villain" format, but Blaze is from another dimension and the book is currently in a post-Forces setting. Doesn't help they have to fit whatever they're doing in a single issue.

Maybe because Tangle isn't enough to support the issue? Or because the first three issues was too similar and they needed a breath of fresh air?

Hopefully, it's the latter.

4 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

I honestly wish they had at least focused on Blaze first and had Tangle turn up near the end to make this a two-parter, if that's the case.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

I honestly wish they had at least focused on Blaze first and had Tangle turn up near the end to make this a two-parter, if that's the case.

This pretty much. It feels like they're scrambling to squeeze as much content into the first month as possible to make sure they have a full twelve issues this year while justifying having four issues in one month. Sure we've had some good moments but the sparsity of something solid to cling onto and lack of world building to focus on characters feels like they have a bigger story coming up that they want to focus on and are getting the major and minor player introductions out of the way as quickly as possible while playing the mystery card to keep us from noticing the scramble. It's why I'm looking forward to the switch to monthly format (even as  I dread the month long wait between issues) as it will relieve Ian Flynn of the sever boundaries around the Fallout Arc and let him spread out a little and take his time. At that point I feel like these quick character introductions will pay off as we'll have a grasp of the IDW relationships between them and their characterization so we can simply concentrate on the story that Flynn will be unfurling. In other words, I'm actually waiting for things to slow down a little so that it has time to grow properly.

By the way, I thought 4 issues in a month would be too much for readers and it would hurt the book, guess I was wrong, they are successful and I don't mind it considering the pace of the narrative is slow, it's probably meant to set up things and be a 4 part introduction story, next months (according to the solicits) things seem to take a major turn.

Here's something I forgot to put out there now that Issue 3 is out:

Spoiler

Do you think the mystery Chairman running Eggman's Empire in his disappearance is the same new villain that Rough and Tumble might end up working for?

If so, then here's the real query: how exactly do you imagine they would correlate with said villain from any facet?

Just now, Jack the Maniac said:

They also need to get Tyson Hesse to do pencils and not just covers.

yeah, his modern sonic looks pretty good.

And his Mega Drive drawings were SUPER dynamic and expressive and lively!

What about Diana Skelly??

I'd like a Sonic Universe book! Where different writers write their favorite characters (Yardley for Babylon Rogues, Evan Stanley for Silver...).

If a Sonic Universe is ever made, do you think we'd get arcs with non-game characters as main characters?

Here's why I think that the "Hooligans" reference is more than just an Easter egg.
1. I think SEGA knows the reference to them. They still monitored the comic in it's Post-Reboot, back when they were still called the Hooligans. Also, ever since Ian wrote them that way in the comics, Bark and Bean were portrayed as bad guys, while in the past, they were established as good.
2. Sonic didn't just mention "a bunch of hooligans." He clearly said THE Hooligans. As in, Fang's gang. They clearly exist in this Modern universe.
3. The Hooligans are some of Ian's favorite characters to write.

I'm starting to think the only ones that are really "classic-locked" is Mighty and Ray, and that's because of Mania Plus.

8 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I'm starting to think the only ones that are really "classic-locked" is Mighty and Ray, and that's because of Mania Plus.

The main reason this book exists is to advertise the games, which is why they aren't allowed to advertise us the nearest upcoming game.

Sega is master of business decisions.