Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

1 hour ago, JosepHenry said:

I somehow got issue 4 today, I don't know how but whatever, this comic was awesome.

Blaze was in no way overshadowed by Tangle, and Tangle was just a really cool character, I don't know how to explain her personality, but is great. Blaze's characterization is also on point.

Overall, just as good as the second issue. 10/10 by me.

Screenshot_2018-04-24-13-21-36.png

LUCKY

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I don't think too many Publishers still use them to the extent Archie does. I think they're getting rarer nowadays.

Yeah, Archie Sonic had them a lot more frequently than most books I've read from other companies. Even post-reboot managed to do it a lot by virtue of adding "*See [game]." to the mix too (which I was half-expecting to see in this too, I'm kinda surprised that's not the case).

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

What gangs?

He's referring to the groups of badniks. XP

1 hour ago, JosepHenry said:

I somehow got issue 4 today, I don't know how but whatever, this comic was awesome.

I'm guessing you got it digitally? If so, I can see how that might happen, they probably upload issues in advance by at least a day and mistakes do happen after all. I'm curious if you're the only one this happened to though...

5 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Blaze was in no way overshadowed by Tangle, and Tangle was just a really cool character, I don't know how to explain her personality, but is great. Blaze's characterization is also on point.

This expression justmakes me love her more. Here's hoping she keeps showing up.

5 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Blaze is made of fire, there's no way she could be overshadowed by anyone...

Except...Big the Cat and Vector and other taller characters...

Now she just needs a reason for being here...

*Ba-Dum-Tish*

7 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Soooo... anything new and interesting? Maaaaaybe a little different structure than the previous 3? Anything about the mystery villain? I must have da spoilerz.

13 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Soooo... anything new and interesting? Maaaaaybe a little different structure than the previous 3? Anything about the mystery villain? I must have da spoilerz.

Spoiler

The structure is the same, Tangle somehow got really surprised when Sonic mentioned the Sol Emeralds. Something is fishy. Blaze herself came to this dimension because the Sol Emeralds somehow warned her. Seven months late as Sonic said.

Also we don't see the mystery villain, but we see Eggman... And he is... In a village's... house... Watching a kid. Huh.

6 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The structure is the same, Tangle somehow got really surprised when Sonic mentioned the Sol Emeralds. Something is fishy. Blaze herself came to this dimension because the Sol Emeralds somehow warned her. Seven months late as Sonic said.

Also we don't see the mystery villain, but we see Eggman... And he is... In a village's... house... Watching a kid. Huh.

Anything else to point out? :3

7 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Very unlike how she was described.

7 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Good for you.

You almost seem like you're jealous, for some reason. :smile: 

7 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:
  Hide contents

...What.  What?! :lol:

9 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Does it explain why Blaze didn't appear in Forces?

Managed to read the issue. It was alright, I guess.

That ending was kinda peculiar, tho.

24 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Sorta.

I wonder if we'll ever get an age for Tangle. She seems to be Sonic's age, if not slightly younger.

If I had to guess, I'd say probably older than Amy and safely into Blaze teenager territory. 13 just for yuks.

Just now, Sega DogTagz said:

I wonder if we'll ever get an age for Tangle. She seems to be Sonic's age, if not slightly younger.

If I had to guess, I'd say probably older than Amy and safely into Blaze teenager territory. 13 just for yuks.

Actually, Ian confirmed this today.

52 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

In a roundabout way, yes.

Spoiler

Basically, she had no way of knowing something really bad was going down in Sonic's world. In this issue, she shows up because the Sol Emeralds let her know that her presence would be needed*, and she's uh...pretty shocked to find out about everything that happened months earlier. 

*Side note: IIRC that was roughly the same reason for her appearance in...Colours DS I think?

3 hours ago, JosepHenry said:
  Reveal hidden contents

God of War sounds awesome. 

15 minutes ago, Celestia said:

In a roundabout way, yes.

Hide contents

Basically, she had no way of knowing something really bad was going down in Sonic's world. In this issue, she shows up because the Sol Emeralds let her know that her presence would be needed*, and she's uh...pretty shocked to find out about everything that happened months earlier. 

*Side note: IIRC that was roughly the same reason for her appearance in...Colours DS I think?

Even though I get the feeling she did jacksquat in that game.

Issue 4 was pretty good. I liked the action, and interactions between Sonic and Blaze. Tangle was a pretty fun character. I also liked all the silly faces the characters made throughout the issue.

My only complaint is that besides introducing Tangle, and bringing back Blaze, I feel like nothing new really happened. Although many criticized last week's issue, at least more happened than just Sonic running into Knuckles. In episode 3, we were introduced to 2 new villains, and saw Sonic and Knuckles free a bunch of villagers and wisps. In this week's issue, all that really happened was Sonic meets Tangle, Blaze appears, they fight some robots, and that's really it. 

Issue 4 was still fun, but I wish a little more happened.

Spoiler

Eggman does show up at the end, but it was very brief.

I'll break it down into pros and cons, it sorta didn't meet my expectations.

Spoiler

Pro:

+ Fight choreography is really good, I also enjoyed those battleships and huge motobugs.

+ ... Part of that was the tail jump of Sonic and Blaze from Tangle's tail, that was really fun

+ Blaze is staying, yes!

+ Blaze really shines and didn't just cameo to prioritize Tangle

+ No chairman appearance, I'd say it was getting old, didn't expect Eggman and this cliffhanger, while random, is a nice change of pace

+ I really liked the art here, nice job Evan!

Con:

- Tangle is just another Sonic character, she's a bit like Sonic but I'd say normal, nothing exciting

- Story doesn't progress and the formula is basically the same, we didn't get world building either

- No interaction fun that I hoped for, I mean, the Sonic-Tangle interaction was fine, and so was Sonic-Blaze, but I was expecting more of a dynamic from Blaze-Tangle (I wanted a ship, why no ship Ian :cry:)

- I was hoping Blaze would give us some hint about chairman, but nothing... I was also hoping for some subplots to be opened with Blaze or Tangle, about their possible mission, it just didn't give me what I wanted

So it's good and simple (again), but not good enough for my demands. Next time should be exciting as we break this formula!

7 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Sorta.

The explanation of Blaze's absence always seemed to be a bit of a given. Arbitrary but sure, a playable hand.

If I was to find something to be miffed about, where was Cream? Sure Sonic Team's use of her would leave much to be desired for some, but that's an excuse not an explanation, and let's face it Forces was clearly trying to be about the story. For a character whose purpose is (apparently) to play foil to Amy, and wanting to help everyone and anyone regardless of the situation, she was inexplicably absent. I'm curious to see if and when Ian Flynn cooks up an answer for that.

Or if he's forced to cook up some weird 5 minute excuse due to the weird restrictions he apparently gets on some characters.

I'm a sucker for the background details, for sure.