Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I wonder if we will have to wait till NYCC to find out who the Writers and artists will be or if the IDW & Sonic Twitters will announce it as it develops?  

I mean NYCC isn't that far away just a little under 3 months, but if we got any kind of update say by mid-late September that would be cool too.

And yea if by some miracle Sally & co survive I hope the book just focuses on making her a good character as opposed to trying to get those that hate her to change their minds.  Infact just do that for all characters in general.  Most people already know which characters they like or don't like so just screw the haters and focus on writing the best Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Sally, etc you can and everything else will work itself out over time.

And personally I love Amy & Sally so poo on those that give those gals guff!

Honestly the only Sonic character I can't stand is Shadow, but thats more cause his hardcore fans kind of ruined him for me and i'm not too keen on his current VA.  But yea other then that I enjoy pretty much the other 99% of characters from the various incarnations of the franchise.  XD

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I think the comic should be trying to make you like the characters, that's the intent. I know people who like shadow know after reading some of the more recent books, that's successful, they are pushing the brand. That's kinda what the comic is supposed to do, get people into the franchise. So on many levels they have to write stories that get you into characters. 

The issue with sally  and this is my opinion, Sally is a character that was... never interesting in the first place, and then they introduced a better version of that character called blaze the cat. And then she was just around, and everytime they tried to giver her problems, ect ect ect, they never bothered doing the following justified her existence. She was just this legacy character from a cartoon a bunch of the fanbase hasn't even seen for age reasons. The problem at least for me wasn't them trying to get me to like her, that's kind of the point. Sonic isn't sobering shades of gray series where you can hate whoever happens to be the protagonist, they write like they are selling you action figures and video games, that' sorta the point. My problem is that they never justified her existence, even before blaze literally replaces this character in all functionalities, she was still kind of useless. Her much like her royal linage and the accorn kingdom wast this unfitting thing in the sonic universe given importance, just because. They didn't earn the importance, no they were given that and that's it. And I and a great many others weren't fond of that. They never convinced us to care about her, nothing was compelling, she was just " important". 

You might not like shadow, and that's totally fine. But the reason the guy stays around and they treat him like a special character every time he's in anything is because he earned that, he left an impression on a lot of people, and those people root for him. He was going to die, he had earn his right to be alive and kept earning his continued existence with his popularity. So all the importance they gave the character already resonated with so many because they liked that character. 

I think the whole situation years ago speaks volumes on this specific point, they were trying to push their echidina lore and acorn stuff and folks were yelling about " whens shadow" so much they had to force the book folks to put it in. 

So I guess my point here is, my problem isn't them trying to get me to like. That's what they should be doing, that's their job. My problem is them failing at that, and instead of trying to build her character up with little things, she was constantly in the middle of larger matters and given this importance to try and bolster her character that just made me like her character less. Shadow started out as a world level threat yes, but that shit was a gameble, characters like virgil from DMC, or zero from megaman  are a gamble because if folks don't like that character, you have a silver on your hands or an axl. And even though it worked as a gameble, he still had to earn his continued existence and all importance he got after. Sally doesn't feel like she earns anything, she just feels like this spoiled royal brat whos just there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I would be cool if Amy & Sally both got their own mini-series or Spotlight one shots if IDW does such for the Sonic Comics.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/28/2017 at 0:39 AM, VEDJ-F said:

We don't know that. Seriously, all people based that off was the direct sales even though it was stressed multiple times that the Mega Drive arc was primarily not direct sales-related even moreso than the regular comics.

That was never stressed by anyone because the opposite is true. Mega Drive didn't have subs or newsstand distribution and it was only sold through the direct market. plus whatever business it did through digital and the Archie shop. That's why the social media campaign for the book was centered around having fans pre-order it through their comic shop.

• Thumbs Up 1

My ideas for the new book, it would have 4 issue arcs interconnected, with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Eggman mostly as regulars, it would focus on game characters so there would not be need for a Universe comic, it would actually be a cross between Sonic and SU:

Arc 1 - Introduction with the main 4, works like a game, like with Mega Drive, Sonic and friends must save animals from Eggman who industrialized everything, Metal Sonic is a side villain.

Arc 2 - Team Hero + Amy vs Team Dark in a race against time through the world.

Arc 3 - The return of Chaos, plus a team of gizoids who want to reclaim Angel Island, with an original plot. Also features appearances by Big, Tikal and Gemerl.

Arc 4 - A inique story featuring a mobian queen who is wicked. Also involves the Chaotix

Arc 5 - Sonic is captured by Eggman, his friends (Tails, Knux, Amy, Shadow, Rouge, Cream, Silver, Blaze and the Chaotix) must rescue him.

Arc 6 - While Sonic was captured, Eggman conquered the world, the heroes must face the Egg guardians. The Freedom Fighters also help

During the first 6 arcs the heroes collect the chaos emeralds, which are used in the final battle to reclaim the world.

Arc 7 - Sonic vs Knuckles rivalry, the Hooligans take advantage of the situation. Mighty and Ray also appear.

Arc 8 - Journey to the special zone against Nack, Blaze helps.

Arc 9 - Features an extreme gear Grand Prix, with eliminations and lots of racers, and oviously the Babylon Rogues.

Arc 10 - Special arc: Sticks comes from the Boom dimension to warn the team of a new threat. Also features the brand new team up of Silver and Sticks.

Arc 11 - Tails finds a village with foxes who become his family, and only he can save them.

Arc 12 - Amy, Cream and Blaze in the Sol Dimension against the mobian sirens, who are allies with Rouge.

Arc 13 - Vector, Espio, Charmy & Knuckles investigate over the murder of a good robot.

Arc 14 - the brand new duo Shadow and Amy works undercover in Westopolis for a mission.

Arc 15 - Sonic and friends must help Eggman destroy a virus in the Digital realm.

Arc 16 - Adventure in space, some wisps have gone rogue and the team must help Mother Wisp re establish peace on Planet Wisp.

I would also like 5 pages of back up story with Sonic Boom, or if possible a Boom comic or mini series. What do you guys think?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

5 minutes ago, Chameleon94 said:

My ideas for the new book, it would have 4 issue arcs interconnected, with Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Eggman mostly as regulars, it would focus on game characters so there would not be need for a Universe comic, it would actually be a cross between Sonic and SU:

Arc 1 - Introduction with the main 4, works like a game, like with Mega Drive, Sonic and friends must save animzls from Eggman who industrialized everything, Metal Sonic is a side villain.

Arc 2 - Team Hero + Amy vs Team Dark in a race against time through the world.

Arc 3 - The return of Chaos, plus a team of gizoids who want to reclaim Angel Island, with an original plot. Also features appearances by Big, Tikal and Gemerl.

Arc 4 - A inique story featuring a mobian queen who is wicked. Also involves the Chaotix

Arc 5 - Sonic is captured by Eggman, his friends (Tails, Knux, Amy, Shadow, Rouge, Cream, Silver, Blaze and the Chaotix) must rescue him.

Arc 6 - While Sonic was captured, Eggman conquered the world, the heroes must face the Egg guardians. The Freedom Fighters also help

During the first 6 arcs the heroes collect the chaos emeralds, which are used in the final battle to reclaim the world.

Arc 7 - Sonic vs Knuckles rivalry, the Hooligans take advantage of the situation. Mighty and Ray also appear.

Arc 8 - Journey to the special zone against Nack, Blaze helps.

Arc 9 - Features an extreme gArc  Grand Prix, with eliminations and lots of racers, and oviously the Babylon Rogues.

Arc 10 - Special arc: Sticks comes from the Boom dimension to warn the team of a new threat. Also features che brand new team up of Silver and Sticks.

Arc 11 - Tails finds a village with foxes who become his family, and only he can save them.

Arc 12 - Amy, Cream and Blaze in the Sol Dimension against the mobian sirens, who are allies with Rouge.

Arc 13 - Vector, Espio, Charmy & Knuckles investigate over the murder of a good robot.

Arc 14 - the brand new duo Shadow and Amy works undercover in Westopolis for a mission.

Arc 15 - Sonic and friends must help Eggman destroy a virus in the Digital realm.

Arc 16 - Adventure in space, some wisps have gone rogue and the team must help Mother Wisp re establish peace on Planet Wisp.

I would also like 5 pages of back up story with Sonic Boom, or if possible a Boom comic or mini series. What do you guys think?

Those sound like good ideas for the most part

13 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I would like a Boom series again. I quite liked the short-lived one. And it was easier to follow that the main comics.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

I would like a Boom series again. I quite liked the short-lived one. And it was easier to follow that the main comics.

Plus IDW could make it work.

Funny thing about Sally; while I think she might be a bit bland I think I've grown to like her. Something in her character made me first pretty much just concentrate on others but I think after some time I started to like her. Not as much as some other FF's and such characters mind you, but I'd still be sad to see her (and (even more especially) the others) "die". I think some people are like this and some are different.

I think I'm a bland person since I can like bland characters then... <_< Whatever.

And while we're criticising Mr. Flynn about long arcs... well... I seem to have a tendency to start reading such comics... considering how much I love One Piece. B)

I'd say Mr. Flynn has a long way to go when we're talking about long arcs... :D

Of course the pacing is very different and such, this comment was pretty much just me appreciating my appreciation over long arcs. ^_^ 

I won't answer for the consequences in case of lost context. ;)

And I know the stuff sells as long as it has Sonic's face planted on it but what I usually talk about is what I need to get interested, me, as a single customer, about some comic book series.

It can be awesome without those characters I like, I won't deny it since it's a fact.

But it won't get me interested enough to buy it too easily without those characters. That's all about me. Just my single option as an individual, no economical statement of some marketing tactique.

"You might be but you're not!" (Guess who...)

• Thumbs Up 4

11 hours ago, Chameleon94 said:

For some reason when I imagine this happening, I feel like the twist would be that it's just a really cruelly simulated world that Ansem the Wise or the Mad Hatter created to trap Tails inside of. And then it turns into this nightmarish Coraline inspired hellscape that Tails has to escape from.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

And then it turns into this nightmarish Coraline inspired hellscape that Tails has to escape from.

It won't be a true nightmare unless Titan Tails is on it. You can't escape your destiny Tail, you can't... 

9 hours ago, BlueSky said:

And I know the stuff sells as long as it has Sonic's face planted on it but what I usually talk about is what I need to get interested, me, as a single customer, about some comic book series.

It can be awesome without those characters I like, I won't deny it since it's a fact.

But it won't get me interested enough to buy it too easily without those characters. That's all about me. Just my single option as an individual, no economical statement of some marketing tactique.

"You might be but you're not!" (Guess who...)

You're not alone.. I was 9 when the comics came out.. The Freedom Fighters practically premiered alongside Tails.. 

Through the end of Sega consoles, various changes to the Sonic franchise and Sega itself, multiple voice actor switches, and various cartoons.. The comic always endured, offering me comfort that at least one thing remained through it all.. Even the reboot left links to the earlier comics through the character's memories.. These comics have been my anchor to the franchise and the swift removal of their continued existence is leaving me feeling so torn.. It really puts a damper on my hype for the Sonic franchise's future..

• Thumbs Up 1

News or Rumors?  Either way the fire sale sounds about right.  Archie will want to make $$$ of their remaining  Sonic stock while they can.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

Hard reboot but still using Archie characters or...? 

It says that the characters probably won't be used.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

Well, i'll wait for a full interview on that to see what else they have to say.

We'll probably have to wait until NYCC for more news.

• Thumbs Up 2

It also says that comic characters getting out of hand was one of the cause in the mess...which isn't true given the mandates made to make game characters a more prominent focus. Not sure how that claim even came about.

Sounds like someone's pushing their personal opinions onto things.

• Thumbs Up 4

I felt it was a given that they wouldn't be used from the get go but I don't wish to keep people from holding out hope or waiting for more official confirmation if they feel they must. Whatever works for you is the method you should choose to do.

At the moment I'm convinced though.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

It also says that comic characters getting out of hand was one of the cause in the mess...which isn't true given the mandates made to make game characters a more prominent focus. Not sure how that claim even came about.

Ehh, I dunno given that it's SEGA. I mean, even if there were mandates to do that, the following has to be considered;

1. Even with the mandate, the FFs were getting more focus than most game characters. As I keep mentioning, the Babylon Rogues didn't even get a chance to appear in the end (I mean, it sounds like Ian was planning something, but it got dropped somewhere along the line and the new plan didn't get actioned in time). By comparison, the FFs (either all or some) got Light in the Dark, Hidden Costs, Spark of Life, multiple one-off back-ups, and they were the drive for Countdown to Chaos and the upcoming Freedom Fighter arc in Universe. 

2. If you go by just the Sonic the Hedgehog book and not Sonic Universe, the game characters (as in the regulars, not the Unleahsed NPCs) actually rarely appeared there, instead most of the Shattered World Crisis in StH was spent introducing new comic characters on a very regular basis. Champions was an exception, and even it introduced a number of "new" characters. It sounds like it shouldn't make a difference, but Sonic's name is a pretty big pull to kids, and Sonic the Hedgehog was consistently pulling in higher numbers than Sonic Universe (whether that's directly because of it being the one with the name or because of the way the books handle their stories and divide up the narrative is a debate in itself). 

Basically, I would not put it past SEGA in this case. 

Edit: Oh, wait, just saw the context. Tristian didn't claim that, I'm pretty sure he was referring to the legal shenanigans. The copyright ownership of 90% of the comic cast was in question which forced the reboot, so he's not wrong in saying that's part of how this came about. 

• Thumbs Up 9

@VEDJ-F You have a point in that the most of the video-game characters (at least the ones that weren't part of the FFs) barely got any focus. Plus the whole lawsuit thing that messed things up.

I think it speaks to the level of the problem when there was a video game crossoever where several game characters were dead or missing whilst comic book characters got to hang out with video game characters like those were the things people wanted to see in said video game crossoever. That in combination with multiple legal issues, archies fubling that lead to said legal issues them having to intervene before when they were putting too much on comic exclusive characters before the reboot and the other shenanigans that were happening at the time. And archie just wanting to move on is why we are at point b. 

I think what speaks to specially the notion of characters not overshadowing game characters, is their handling of boom while I don't agree with mayor D , or rather the level he was taking it. They specially sought out to basically make everyone who wasn't the sonic crew, shadow, and the badguy useless, background. 

I don't think they want any part of that sort of thing anymore. They want their characters to be the ones in the lime light

• Thumbs Up 6

Again, gonna wait for official word from IDW.  But if that is the route SEGA wants to go, again I have no need for a 32 page ad.  I'll stick with better books.

Though the book might still be salvagable if they just ditch the blue hedgehog and make Amy & Blaze the main characters. XD

• Thumbs Up 1