Jump to content
Dejimon11

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Flaw #2

Sega would have to stop ducking the Eggman Nega issue and actually figure something out about what to do with him.

:ph34r:

And/or just create another, more residential villain for Blaze to fight. Maybe like Null Mind.

Also, they have since confirmed his future origins multiple times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Flaw #2

Sega would have to stop ducking the Eggman Nega issue and actually figure something out about what to do with him.

:ph34r:

I think that mandate was gone ever since they gave clarification, and Ian just never gotten around to use him.

33 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I feel like the way to solve the blaze problem is simple and you all are overthinking it. There is , a wall blocking this problem. 

How you solve the blaze problem: Have more adventures that take place in her world, that require her to deal with new people and learn things. That also expand her world, and gives you more perspective on who she is. That literally solves all proposed problems.

 

Flaw: Sega barely wants to use blaze, and doesn't want to use her world. 

How do you know they don't want to use the Sol Dimension? The cancelled Archie stories suggested it was going to focus MORE on the Sol dimension. Maybe we can see that later in the comic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

How do you know they don't want to use the Sol Dimension? The cancelled Archie stories suggested it was going to focus MORE on the Sol dimension. Maybe we can see that later in the comic.

He's referring to the games, PE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I think that mandate was gone ever since they gave clarification, and Ian just never gotten around to use him.

How do you know they don't want to use the Sol Dimension? The cancelled Archie stories suggested it was going to focus MORE on the Sol dimension. Maybe we can see that later in the comic.

I think Ian mentioned that he had more ideas involving the Sol Dimension for the comics, but SEGA said no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I think Ian mentioned that he had more ideas involving the Sol Dimension for the comics, but SEGA said no.

Apparently, that was a long time ago, as it seems they were heading for that in SU 96. Also, unless there's a source, I'm not believing it. I hate it when everybody tries to paint SEGA as this big, bad, mean, strict corporation that hates everything not directly made by them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Apparently, that was a long time ago, as it seems they were heading for that in SU 96. Also, unless there's a source, I'm not believing it. I hate it when everybody tries to paint SEGA as this big, bad, mean, strict corporation that hates everything not directly made by them.

To be fair to the other end, it is ultimately SEGA who approves of every issue and that involves granting or revoking/delaying certain concepts, which they have done.

But yes, they are just doing what they deem best/reasonable for the greater franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I think that mandate was gone ever since they gave clarification, and Ian just never gotten around to use him.

How do you know they don't want to use the Sol Dimension? The cancelled Archie stories suggested it was going to focus MORE on the Sol dimension. Maybe we can see that later in the comic.

Maybe, but I doubt it. 

I figure that sega wants to focus exclusively on sonic land right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Shadow and team dark separated from gun. Which is weird... considerig they gotta live action movie coming out next year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I feel like the way to solve the blaze problem is simple and you all are overthinking it. There is , a wall blocking this problem. 

How you solve the blaze problem: Have more adventures that take place in her world, that require her to deal with new people and learn things. That also expand her world, and gives you more perspective on who she is. That literally solves all proposed problems.

 

Flaw: Sega barely wants to use blaze, and doesn't want to use her world. 

I'm perhaps over complicating things as I was addressing more the statement from Ian Flynn that Blaze can't work on her own and was evaluating why and what can be done to address that. That said, more stories set in her world could address that problem but as the IDW comic is building its identity as a Sonic comic first we'll have to wait some time until we can potentially have those stories. Until then, the question of what can be done with Blaze so she can work on her own without falling back on world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I'm perhaps over complicating things as I was addressing more the statement from Ian Flynn that Blaze can't work on her own and was evaluating why and what can be done to address that. That said, more stories set in her world could address that problem but as the IDW comic is building its identity as a Sonic comic first we'll have to wait some time until we can potentially have those stories. Until then, the question of what can be done with Blaze so she can work on her own without falling back on world.

I don't think her world getting play would take away from that identity. I would actually argue, the focus on " world building " without letting it come naturally is why the main Archie book sucked for a good long time even post reboot. It was far to focus on trying to world build and not trying to tell an interesting story. If you tell interesting stories and just flesh out the world in the background... it tends to do that itself. But forcing it never allows you to get to know anyone. Just vague concepts that never form into a narrative. So I would argue, just make more stories in blaze's world and it will be fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

By restricting people from exploring the grand mythos out there?

by looking at how many times they've shot themselves in the foot with plotholes and inconsistencies and protecting other branches of the faction from making the same mistake.

They are the hero we need but not the one we deserve lol

 

Naw, its easier to just see Sega of Japan as the bad guys here. They are a bit slower to opening up to new things than we would like them to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

by looking at how many times they've shot themselves in the foot with plotholes and inconsistencies and protecting other branches of the faction from making the same mistake.

They are the hero we need but not the one we deserve lol

 

Naw, its easier to just see Sega of Japan as the bad guys here. They are a bit slower to opening up to new things than we would like them to be.

I mean people did complain about Blaze's appearance in Colors DS and Generations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Naw, its easier to just see Sega of Japan as the bad guys here. They are a bit slower to opening up to new things than we would like them to be.

That's exactly my gripe with them. The Pre-boot and even some of the Post-boot had some really unique ideas. I want to see that happen with IDW Sonic at some point in the near future, but since SoJ's a LOT more involved with this book, I'm scared that they won't like that. Which really sucks, because Ian proved himself as good writer, so they should actually trust him a bit more here.

12 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I mean people did complain about Blaze's appearance in Colors DS and Generations.

That's because she barely did anything in those games, just like pretty much everyone else. If she actually did something, people might not have complained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

That's exactly my gripe with them. The Pre-boot and even some of the Post-boot had some really unique ideas. I want to see that happen with IDW Sonic at some point in the near future, but since SoJ's a LOT more involved with this book, I'm scared that they won't like that. Which really sucks, because Ian proved himself as good writer, so they should actually trust him a bit more here.

SoJ tends to come around eventually - it just takes them a while. Ian did get the greenlight to build the Post-Boot world. Sega wouldn't have allowed any of that unless they were okay with the direction he was going in.

The biggest problem here is there tendency to knee-jerk over-react. Like how they did when Sonic got dragged through the ashes of his fallen city or when that cover of him crying made the rounds on the interwebs. They react strongly to when they feel the IP is threatened and it takes a while for them to loosen that grip once it is tightened.

I think Ian has earned a good bit of trust tho. I think he's in good shape to get back to the kind of storytelling he was getting at during the end of the archie run. I am not worried about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Y'know, have we ever even SEEN the Sol Dimension yet? I mean it doesn't matter where we see it, but do we even know what it looks like?

Umm, the ocean... some islands... I'm sure there are other things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Y'know, have we ever even SEEN the Sol Dimension yet? I mean it doesn't matter where we see it, but do we even know what it looks like?

?

Its probably too early to worry about seeing it just yet in the IDW run, but we've seen and been to the Sol dimension elsewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Y'know, have we ever even SEEN the Sol Dimension yet? I mean it doesn't matter where we see it, but do we even know what it looks like?

 

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Umm, the ocean... some islands... I'm sure there are other things.

I feel that also was part of why Ian said Blaze couldn’t hold a story on her own, because there wasn’t really much of her world known as well as, if memory serves, Sega yanking the leash on Ian wanting to delve more into it.

Otherwise, Ian wouldn’t have any issues given he could have just as easily constructed a lot for the Sol Dimension the first available opportunity he had, much like he did with Sonic’s dimension post-reboot, if not more so due to it being more of an open canvas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally don't think that there really is anything particularly interesting about the Sol dimension that makes it stand out from Sonic's world to warrant further exploration of it.

For better or for worse, the only interesting thing about is just Blaze, and if she is to have focus, it will be on Sonic's world and by interacting with him or any of the other characters that exist in it, of which there are plenty of options while in the Sol dimension, all that Blaze really has is just Marine.

To make things worse, I don't think Sega would allow IDW to create things for Blaze's dimension given how back in the day, there was that thing when Penders developed a lot of stuff for Knuckles then bang! ST brought their own version and that caused a situation. Even if ot is very unlikely that ST will ever revisit Sol, they probably have made that an off-limits thing similar to how they kept Nega from appearing in case they ever were to come up with some development regarding the character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Y'know, have we ever even SEEN the Sol Dimension yet? I mean it doesn't matter where we see it, but do we even know what it looks like?

Sonic.. Rush Adventure..? 

1 hour ago, Skull Leader said:

I personally don't think that there really is anything particularly interesting about the Sol dimension that makes it stand out from Sonic's world to warrant further exploration of it.

For better or for worse, the only interesting thing about is just Blaze, and if she is to have focus, it will be on Sonic's world and by interacting with him or any of the other characters that exist in it, of which there are plenty of options while in the Sol dimension, all that Blaze really has is just Marine.

To make things worse, I don't think Sega would allow IDW to create things for Blaze's dimension given how back in the day, there was that thing when Penders developed a lot of stuff for Knuckles then bang! ST brought their own version and that caused a situation. Even if ot is very unlikely that ST will ever revisit Sol, they probably have made that an off-limits thing similar to how they kept Nega from appearing in case they ever were to come up with some development regarding the character.

Well, they did let Archie create it's own version of Silver's future. But maybe that was excused because if necessary (1% chance SEGA makes a game in Silver's world.. besides Onyx Island in Rivals), they could just say the future is constantly changing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To anybody collecting variant covers, what’s your collection look like so far?

Here’s mine:

Issue 1: Cover A, Cover B, Second Printing, RI-1, Wondercon

Issue 2: Cover A

Issue 3: Cover A

Issue 4: Cover A, Cover B (coming: RI-1)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.