Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I don't even think anyone argued he should be treated differently from the jump. If so, I don't know if I agree. I don't an didn't think he wouldn't have been in the comic for the first year because as much as I love him, he's weird and has a lot of baggage. 

All I was arguing against was the notion that characters should and need equal time, that's not how that works. Is all i'm saying. Sega and IDW are businesses businesses with artistic backbones but businesses all the same. All I was saying is, is in future if knuckles and shadow show up more than everyone else... that's how it should be. People like those characters a lot... they show up a bit more. The person i'm arguing against is framing it more of a drastic measure...but it really isn't

What if other characters like Tails, Amy or even the Chaotix where to show up more than Knuckles or Shadow do because they actually have something to contribute or had more reason/motive to be involved instead of being there to pander some popularity thing? Would you be OK with that or would you continue to suggest that Shadow needs more presence just because there was one time back in the 2000's when he was considered "a big deal"... hey!much like how Knuckles once was too in the 90's. : P

IMO, this type of character who become hugely popular and are built upon a heavy emphasis on lore/backstory are like a piece of paper when you light it up: it burns bright for a moment (the time during which they are the focus and receive the most attention), but what is left afterwards is just white ashes.

Sounds like the new ally will be introduced in #8 based on that blurb. 

24 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Concerning “Mobius”...

https://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Spinball_manuals

it apparently exists in the Japanese classic storyline as a planet that Eggman invaded in Spinball. So, maybe it can be used in that context?

I don’t think the Japanese story is referring to it as a separate planet other than the one Sonic lives on.

Eggman “invading” the planet just sounds like another way of saying he took over the planet. As in, he simply gained control of it like in the American continuities, not that he “travelled to Mobius from another world and took it over”.

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

. As in, he simply gained control of it like in the American continuities, not that he “travelled to Mobius from another world and took it over”.

Isn't that what was supposed to be the case in SatAM Season 3?

24 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Isn't that what was supposed to be the case in SatAM Season 3?

What?

15 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

It's going to make you like character you weren't fond of likable, or give those character you felt were neglected a chance to shine. I'm sure they're trying to make you enjoy Sonic as a series, not just specific characters. 

It'll try to, at least.

2 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

What?

There was something someone about Season 3 revealing that Julian and Snively were originally from Earth, until some kind of ecological(?) disaster they had a hand in happened and then went into stasis/space to avoid it. Then, once they eventually came back, the planet had become Mobius.

The Sonic Bible that mentions Mobius and Kintobor doesn't say anything about Kintobor not being native to Mobius. This carries over into later Western Sonics, especially later in Archie when they introduced the Overlander retcon and otherwise worked to remake the setting to be line with the Adventure games.

I'd prefer Flynn to not address the two-world thing.

Just do the stories in the current Mobian setting.

Who doesn't? But since Two Worlds apparently is a mandate Flynn might not be able to avoid at least mentioning it

Considering the comic has very openly confirmed that Adventure 1 and Unleashed have happened in some form, I don’t think Ian will have much of a choice.

5 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

What if other characters like Tails, Amy or even the Chaotix where to show up more than Knuckles or Shadow do because they actually have something to contribute or had more reason/motive to be involved instead of being there to pander some popularity thing?

I would ask the writing people, like a lot of other fans to give them more to do. And given those characters are popular, they probs have more to do planned, or actually do it. Or if it the comic doesn't give me what I want, I could just not buy it. I didn't buy the sonic comic for years, while buying sonic universe. So yeah there's that.

Not really that serious.

Would you be OK with that or would you continue to suggest that Shadow needs more presence just because there was one time back in the 2000's when he was considered "a big deal"... hey!much like how Knuckles once was too in the 90's. : P

I would want the characters I wanna see, because I like them. And considering people still do, them being in comics would be a big deal now. So your point is moot. Whatever point you were trying to get across. 

My desire to see knuckles and shadow, is because I LIKE knuckles and shadow. And I care for others less, and I will argue for that. Its just that with those two characters I can justify it, as opposed to blaze, who I also like. But can't really justify throwing her into everything, both for lore and popularity reasons

IMO, this type of character who become hugely popular and are built upon a heavy emphasis on lore/backstory are like a piece of paper when you light it up: it burns bright for a moment (the time during which they are the focus and receive the most attention), but what is left afterwards is just white ashes.

That's cool, I don't give a shit. I like the characters I like. That's it.

16 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Considering the comic has very openly confirmed that Adventure 1 and Unleashed have happened in some form, I don’t think Ian will have much of a choice.

Considering this book will have shadow the hedgehog in it, yeah he will have to.

" Hey shadow, why aren't protecting earth, the planet you actually care about and you promised maria to protect and are protecting sonic land. Its almost as if those were the same planet and then  someone arbitrarily at some point decided they weren't "

Only I feel like this favorized/ less favorired discussion looks like this?

picture.thumb.png.afcafe9496a7b88f28cabd84d1c9f8fa.png

Long story short it's about balance. Yes, popular characters should b given more time, that's basic law of demand and supply.
Yes, other characters have their rights (and fans) too. So the real question is just about proportions, whenever Shadow gets enough screen time to his favored status. (I did numbers for Reboot Archie and answer is "sorta, he's go most page time from all modern characters". It's way to early to judge IDW.)

In the end I thinks good STORY is what matter and this fanbase is too sensitive about their favorite characters. Personally I'm good as long as we move past using Core 4 for everything. I would prefer Shadow, but it can be Blaze, can be Espio, can be Lumina from Sonic Shuffle. As long as story is good and we avoid repetition.

1 hour ago, Almar said:

Who doesn't? But since Two Worlds apparently is a mandate Flynn might not be able to avoid at least mentioning it

The easiest approach would be to simple cut to locations on either world with an editorial box dictating a passage of time, implying a fairly large distance between locales in a way that can be applied to either preference.

In terms of legit acknowledgement, I think one way to tackle addressing the matter would be to make it a plot point that is involved in or involves the solution, thereby creating some degree of tension. 

Maybe it's not on Earth or Mobius but on Planet Freedom? :P

I am curious to see how the secondary characters are handled, especially in this age where in the games, it can feel like the Sonic, Tails and Eggman show as others have pointed out. And even then, Tails isn't exactly doing so hot lately in the latest games. I guess it is a matter of trying to hit a nice medium of having Sonic be the focus and trying to have a focus on likable side characters, some new allies and villians to mix things up, and to keep a consistent tone. Personally, my only hope is for more Tangle, because I liked her in issue #4, and I want to see her do more stuff in future issues.

As Ian said, there's usually a cut between locations anyway. Sonic can be in Green Hill one issue and Station Square the next with no problems. So two worlds is a thing, but until Ian wants to explore it, if he's even allowed to considering not even SEGA has, it's low priority.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

Honestly at this point I don't care if there's two worlds or not. I just want to read some comics/play some games. I just don't care anymore. 

On 5/12/2018 at 5:00 AM, RedFox99 said:

Truth be told, I think Shadow has gotten enough attention since he got his own spinoff that could work as a main series game and his own story in the recent Forces game (granted, they both weren't that good). In addition, in almost every story with Team Dark in it, he often gets the most focus out of the team and is often the main character.

He really doesn't, he's featured less than Amy in even non cannon material and merchandise. The IDW teaser for this series that first came out for one thing made it clear he has less status quo privileges than Amy and Knuckles.

With the recurring cast being mostly introduced so far in the order they first appeared (Tails -> Amy -> Knuckles -> Chaotix), by all rights Big should have been the one featured in the sixth issue instead of Shadow. As a Big fan, I'm upset that this was allowed to happen. Hopefully Mr. Flynn addresses this quite embarrassing mistake soon, ideally by replacing Shadow with Big in every panel of that issue.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 5

6 minutes ago, Dash Speed said:

He really doesn't, he's featured less than Amy in even non cannon material and merchandise. The IDW teaser for this series that first came out for one thing made it clear he has less status quo privileges than Amy and Knuckles.

The thing is that for all of Shadow's popularity he is not really a definitive member of the cast. In contrast Tails, Amy, and even Knuckles have more direct relationships with Sonic and his way of life. For example, Tails is Sonic's best friend and enjoys adventuring with him, Amy is head over heels about him and wants to be a part of his life,  and even Knuckles and his duty gives him enough reason to occasionally check on Sonic and make sure he isn't doing anything which could endanger Angel Island and the Master Emerald. Shadow on the other hand at the end of the day could really care less about Sonic. Sure he acknowledges him and respects what he's capable of, but he has no personal investment in him. As this comic is supposed to be focusing on Sonic and his adventures it only makes sense to advertise the characters who are most likely to be involved (even if Knuckles is partly pandering to the Classic Trio ideology as @Skull Leader would accuse his appearance of being). There is also a question of series tone and intention. As much story potential as Shadow has in a story focusing on Sonic he really has too much story potential. Where Sonic is just a freewheeling drifter who travels wherever the wind is blowing lending a hand to those he meets along the way, Shadow is always affiliated with his past, his alien DNA, Eggman's family, and his power makes him a target for both being taken out or lulled over to the side of the current antagonist. If you look at that comparison Shadow is a bit of a spotlight hog and not actually good to use this early on while they are trying to establish this as a Sonic story. If anything, that bit I've seen floating around where Ian Flynn supposedly said that Shadow is the most likely candidate for holding a spin-off series is rather telling of just how much there is to him. For the most part, I think right now letting the comic introduce the cast slowly over this first year while establishing it as a Sonic story is a good thing. It gives the creative team time to establish there current take on the series, and it gives IDW the time to put together numbers which shows them what character appearances move the most volumes, making them the most money. If Shadow really is all that popular still then the numbers will speak for themselves and marketing and the head honchos will push Flynn to include Shadow more. Heck, he may even get his own book if the numbers are there. If not, then it will tell us a bit about his current popularity or at least SEGA's current willingness to use him.

On to merchandise, I personally almost never see Amy merchandise or third party representation. There was BOOM! for a little bit but all I usually see is Amy in a package deal for classic figures. Speaking of BOOM!, I don't think any Shadow fan deserved that disservice to his character. But considering they demanded his inclusion in a setting where he wouldn't fit in the first place it might not be surprising that was the end result. On the topic of places where he doesn't fit, since I just mentioned classic themed merchandise is about the place I see Amy appear in merchandise, if we consider the recent Classic themed push from SEGA, with Mania Plus being the next big release, then it becomes even easier to see why Shadow isn't getting any focus. He simply has no place in the Classic version of the franchise and the current state of the Modern side is in no shape to use him properly. Roughly, why the money may be there, The franchise itself is in no state to use him. Of course this is also SEGA we're talking about and they are known for ignoring easy money (PSO2 anyone).

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, some people have been accusing Ian Flynn of wanting to get rid of the Freedom Fighters, but it was never really Ian's decision to not include them in IDW Sonic, at least not yet.

I don't know where this whole theory of Ian Flynn wanting to get rid of the Freedom Fighters began and where they got the info from. In fact, he's been getting some flack lately as stated in the description of this stamp I made.

Regardless of whether the Freedom Fighters will appear in IDW Sonic or not, I won't really read the new Sonic comic because of the damage that had been done with many of the pre-reboot Archie Sonic characters removed after STH #252, which also ended up screwing up many story arcs of the pre-reboot universe. However, I just wanted to bring that issue with Flynn and the Freedom Fighters here since it had been bothering me for a while.

20 minutes ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

You know, some people have been accusing Ian Flynn of wanting to get rid of the Freedom Fighters, but it was never really Ian's decision to not include them in IDW Sonic, at least not yet.

I don't know where this whole theory of Ian Flynn wanting to get rid of the Freedom Fighters began and where they got the info from. In fact, he's been getting some flack lately as stated in the description of this stamp I made.

Regardless of whether the Freedom Fighters will appear in IDW Sonic or not, I won't really read the new Sonic comic because of the damage that had been done with many of the pre-reboot Archie Sonic characters removed after STH #252, which also ended up screwing up many story arcs of the pre-reboot universe. However, I just wanted to bring that issue with Flynn and the Freedom Fighters here since it had been bothering me for a while.

That is weird, feedinghand bitey logic there.

2 hours ago, NiTROACTiVE said:

Regardless of whether the Freedom Fighters will appear in IDW Sonic or not, I won't really read the new Sonic comic because of the damage that had been done with many of the pre-reboot Archie Sonic characters removed after STH #252, which also ended up screwing up many story arcs of the pre-reboot universe.

I know how you feel. I know Nolan tried to do something different with Batman, a bold new direction for comic book movies. But damn it, he didn't include Bob the Goon from 1987 movie and that killed the whole experience with Dark Knight.

...wait, my mistake. I don't follow your logic. A less over-the-top example: did you ignored Young Justice cartoon, just because it didn't had all of teen titans in it?