Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

They really love "Sonic and 1 character at a time" team ups here, they are also going slowly (perhaps too slow for Sonic) with plot advancement, with Sonic repeating the clues, but I believe this time we will know more, since the Doctor shows up, and apparently

Spoiler

The villain arc ends in issue 7? I don't know how to feel about that, I'm kind of glad they are moving forward with the plot, or at least that's what it seems.

The description for 8 could be another clue about that or it's simply an unrelated adventure in the middle of the arc, I would like that too. Silver returns and we have almost completed the cast introductions.

And we are going to see Imperial Tower (maybe)! So that's good, it seems we are finally moving forward here, and the formula may change.

Wait, Gigi Dutreix is doing one of the covers?

You mean TMOM Gigi Dutreix?

august_wallpaper_by_gigi_d-dbm7d2k.png

S W E E T!!

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:
  Hide contents

Fair enough. I guess I've just watched too much anime and rarely ever take anyone at face value.

Now I wonder what Whisper looks like? And with Whisper, I notice now IDW has 3 female and 2 male newcomers to the series (Lanolin, Tangle, Whisper vs. Rough & Tumble)

4 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Guys do you agree that we need weekly releases again from time to time?

If they could do weekly releases like is the standard for some Japanese comics (admittedly they are black and white and only usually 16-22 pages) I would be pretty excited. But having the occasional weekly special would also work, especially if they approached game adaptions that way to reduce the impact on the current narrative.

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

Now I wonder what Whisper looks like? And with Whisper, I notice now IDW has 3 female and 2 male newcomers to the series (Lanolin, Tangle, Whisper vs. Rough & Tumble)

Does Lanolin count though? I know she's a cool looking character but asides from ABT's comments and name for her she is effectively just currently in a the script as a random villager.

2 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Lanolin doesn't count, she's just a cool-looking background civilian.

Given that Boom counts every non-recolored background character, and even some that are, as characters...

So were the writers told to introduce every Sonic character as soon as possible, or was that their choice? I was hoping they'd stop pushing out a "new" character every issue after the first four, but it seems like that's still their plan for now.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm thinking it might be more along the lines of the Year 1 plan. Remember that list of asked about characters that Flynn referenced and said that some of them would probably show up in the first 2 years? I'm thinking that might be why this format is continuing though I don't mind too much. Sonic himself is a globetrotter so bumping into different people all the time is reasonable. Sure it's a little contrived that it's practically all people he knows but with comics sometimes you have to accept certain contrivances.

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

So were the writers told to introduce every Sonic character as soon as possible, or was that their choice? I was hoping they'd stop pushing out a "new" character every issue after the first four, but it seems like that's still their plan for now.

I’m betting Cream, then Omega, before they run out of the Forces characters and start using the likes of Sticks and the Rogues.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I'm thinking it might be more along the lines of the Year 1 plan. Remember that list of asked about characters that Flynn referenced and said that some of them would probably show up in the first 2 years? I'm thinking that might be why this format is continuing though I don't mind too much. Sonic himself is a globetrotter so bumping into different people all the time is reasonable. Sure it's a little contrived that it's practically all people he knows but with comics sometimes you have to accept certain contrivances.

Yes and but also people he didn't know before like Tangle and R&T and Whisper

3 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

I'm less concerned about it feeling contrived and more concerned with it getting in the way of telling an actual story. The first four issues felt like things were going nowhere because almost all the time was spent introducing characters. If that's going to continue, I don't know how they're going to find time to actually properly tell an overarching story, or how to make all these characters they're drawing into it feel relevant.

• Thumbs Up 3

As long as there is a cohesive narrative and good characterization and storytelling I don't think the continuous introduction will hurt too much. It's a kind of world building in a way so when he does finally start bringing back characters we've seen before we'll be curious to know what they've been up to in the interim which will in turn allow him to do even more world building. Or in short, Flynn could potentially be taking the route of world building through first populating the world. 

• Thumbs Up 2

IF the first Arc ends with Issue 7, then it somehow supports the theory that IDW Comic + Mania Adventures would have something in common... maybe the plot. Or at least part of it.

2 minutes ago, superman43 said:

IF the first Arc ends with Issue 7, then it somehow supports the theory that IDW Comic + Mania Adventures would have something in common... maybe the plot. Or at least part of it.

No! IDW Sonic is my last hope for this franchise to not get anything with Neo-Classic Sonic in it!

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Marco9966 said:

No! IDW Sonic is my last hope for this franchise to not get anything with Neo-Classic Sonic in it!

Not in that manner. I mean, Metal Sonic can be villain in both... 

31 May: IDW #5 - Mania Adventures #3

30 June: IDW #6 - Mania Adventures #4

31 July (or maybe sooner to coincide with Mania Plus release): IDW #7 - Mania Adventures #5 (last)

42 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I listened to the Black Panther episode of Bumblekast yesterday and iirc he said that after who we now know as Whisper and/or maybe the mystery villain, there will only be about four more characters introduced at the end of either an upcoming arc or the first year that'll get further development in during points in year 2 and then nothing else for a while.

31 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I'm less concerned about it feeling contrived and more concerned with it getting in the way of telling an actual story. The first four issues felt like things were going nowhere because almost all the time was spent introducing characters. If that's going to continue, I don't know how they're going to find time to actually properly tell an overarching story, or how to make all these characters they're drawing into it feel relevant.

It was implied in the article they were revealed in that Rough and Tumble may return with connections to the mystery villain and Whisper may or may not have some story relevance herself, but aside from them and the afformentioned quartet, the upcoming arcs and the issues after them should be mostly story and character development.

5 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

I think this is the first time Sonic has had a one-on-one conversation with Espio.

Since this is alternate media so we have to include everything in that equation, not by a long shot. 

-It's debatable in the games themselves, but they did have one-on-one interaction in Rivals 2, as short as it was. 

-They did in Fleetway and pre-reboot Archie, although Espio's personality was so different it may as well have be Joe Average Sonic was talking to. 

-They had a conversation in the Champions arc. 

-They probably will do in that Tales of Deception or whatever book based on the cover. Hey, it may not be continuity but it is media. 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is probably one of the most inconsequential of nitpicks, but as much as I like what I see for the next issue and beyond, I wish they brought back the changing logo colours.  Added an extra flourish I thought.

On another note, I'm guessing they're going with the "get all the main toys out of the box" approach for the foreseeable future.  Not sure if that's such an interesting creative decision, it gets more Chaotix sooner, so I can't complain too much.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean, it's interesting that the Chaotix get to stick around for two issues at least. 

While I think they are going to just introduce characters issue by issue, I don't think it'll be exactly how issues 1-4 were in terms of structure. Especially since we got Eggman back, so we have an actual villain. 

7 hours ago, SBR2 said:

They brought back the Character Descriptions. I liked those I'm glad they're back.

Also Solicits are out. http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/news/idw-publishing-august-2018-solicitations

New character and Silver.

Yay!!! Silver's back! ❤️
And a new character? I like the name -- Whisper. I wonder who it is?

They can roll through as many characters as the want, but by the nature of the beast there really is only so long you can stay away from characters like Tails, particularly if the stakes start to elevate.

Now should be the time to give the extended cast some screentime, because when push comes to shove and the story starts rolling there are going to be about 3 or 4 characters that you simply will have to keep around for at least a few issues.

18 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

" My name is Go....whisper. Yes... That is my name, It totally isn't gold, ignore my color pallete "

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

" My name is Go....whisper. Yes... That is my name, It totally isn't gold, ignore my color pallete "

Yeah, I'm just gonna have to tell you to lax your mouth for a while.