Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

I looked at the list of characters that Penders currently owns. Shard is not on it. If ANYTHING, the owner of Shard would either be Ian (who created Shard how he is today) or SEGA themselves (Because Mike Gallagher used SEGA's Metal Sonic, AKA the first Metal Sonic AKA Shard).

Actual ownership doesn't come into it in this case. The point is that shoving a gem into the robot Sonic duplicate (whether called Mecha or Metal) was Penders' idea. Shard hinged so heavily on the idea that he was literally nicknamed for it, so that's hardly inconsequential.

Other characters were legally barred for less than that, lest we forget the entirely Ian-made Matilda that was still barred on a link to Penders. 

• Thumbs Up 4

And it’s not just Penders. His link to Mike Gallagher was why there was no Beauregard Rabbot post-reboot.

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

No, that was one of the things that were PLANNED, but never happened, due to the "no multiple Metals" rule. And that's why we got Gemerl.

Edit: Wait nah, that's cause of Penders.

22 minutes ago, Razule said:

Edit: Wait nah, that's cause of Penders.

I already got told by the others.

4 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

-Giving no answer to whether Tangle is a lesbian. As in, he literally has no answer, the reader can interpret it however they want because he's done with the romance stuff (and Amy's crush on Sonic doesn't count because it's game canon). 

As the person who asked I can only say "aight". Honestly I just wanted something concrete and it's nice to have at least the "Decide for yourself" response. 

3 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

I am happy how he handled the last question. I liked how he pointed out some fans tend to focus only on the character's sexuality even in their first appearance. Especially when the question said "A lot of people read her reaction to Blaze as so" and Ian replied "And many interpreted her and Sonic's reaction as so too". 

It was funny he said he'll get hate for anything he does. Poor guy.

Yeah but nobody said it was "too soon to tell" when shipping Tangle and Sonic. 

Also agree I feel bad for Ian because even outside of this specific topic  (The Tangle thing) the man gets hate for almost every decision he makes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah but nobody said it was "too soon to tell" when shipping Tangle and Sonic. 

Also agree I feel bad for Ian because even outside of this specific topic  (The Tangle thing) the man gets hate for almost every decision he makes. 

I'm sure some people said that, just brushed aside. I think there were others discussing whether her reaction to Blaze and Sonic was having hots or just fan-girling. 

Yeah, Ian can make small mistakes, but none are enough to send HATE. There are so many people who blame and hate him for petty reasons. 

4 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

This reminds me: how do you think he can work around the mandate with Cream? 

Was that the "Cream can't fight" mandate? It makes me wonder what counts as fighting. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Was that the "Cream can't fight" mandate?

Yes that's the one.

Okay so if there's no romance.. how about everyone have googly eyes for everyone (i.e. looks that could possibly be interpreted as interest, maybe even cheek lines but not quite blush)! A bone for the shippers without having to do anything.

• Fist Bump 1

9 minutes ago, Razule said:

Okay so if there's no romance.. how about everyone have googly eyes for everyone (i.e. looks that could possibly be interpreted as interest, maybe even cheek lines but not quite blush)! A bone for the shippers without having to do anything.

Amy does that plenty.

5 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

It could be another "Dr. Nega" situation. They can be offhandedly mentioned, but never be shown or fully named. Ian has stated that his headcannon is that Classic Sonic still happened as part of Modern's life, but the Phantom Ruby messed with everything and Classic Sonic had an alternate future from Mania onward. So the Hooligans still could have happened, but for some reason, they no longer exist as part of Modern Sonic's universe.

Also, good on Ian on not mentioning Tangle's sexuality. I guess he has learned his mistake from "Spark of Life." This should stop the backlash.

Or, we could get brand-new characters who happen to be called “The Hooligans”, as a tribute to what came before.

29 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Or, we could get brand-new characters who happen to be called “The Hooligans”, as a tribute to what came before.

Yeah, but that could be playing with the heartstrings of the Archie Sonic fans. I don't think Ian would do that. Besides, he hates making expies of characters he can't use. (Gemerl is a special case. He basically already had a similar personality to Shard before Shard even existed. Remember that both had copied their personalities from Sonic.)

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Amy does that plenty.

Yes, but now everyone is free game!

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

Oof, that would be a kick in the pants for people who were expecting them

I don't want to see everyone turn in to Amy she should be the one doing most of the googly eyes.

2 hours ago, Razule said:

I'dbe fine with that honestly. I mean Jen Hernandez kinda already did that having Knuckles blush while Sonic is laughing at Rough and Tumble and calling him "the salt of the earth."

Probably means nothing but I'm desperate to jump on any indication Sonic is Pan and most of the characters aren't straight so I'll take what I can get. 

Tomorrow is looking better knowing we get to see Sonic and Eggman meet for the time in current tense in IDW.

I think now’s a good a time as any to complain about one thing that IDW doesn’t do that Archie did: telling readers what the location is.

I really want to know where exactly Sonic and Espio are, but the comic provides nothing. I don’t know if I’m looking at a comic-exclusive location, or a game location that I can’t remember.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey, we got Imperial City, I think that's the first named location we've seen characters at in the comic. 

Speaking of confirming info, I notice the E-100 lookalike is numbered E-106. More evidence that post-reboot Archive stuff is off the table? 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Speaking of confirming info, I notice the E-100 lookalike is numbered E-106. More evidence that post-reboot Archive stuff is off the table? 

Honestly, I just assumed they confused Zero and the Green E-Series from Battle.

Plus, wasn't that E-107 Theta in the New252?

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I think now’s a good a time as any to complain about one thing that IDW doesn’t do that Archie did: telling readers what the location is.

I really want to know where exactly Sonic and Espio are, but the comic provides nothing. I don’t know if I’m looking at a comic-exclusive location, or a game location that I can’t remember.

Yeah, that was a problem I had with the Blaze issue in particular(The one time I read it anyway) : You'd think what is apparently the hometown of the new audience surrogate character would've gotten a name.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Plus, wasn't that E-107 Theta in the New252?

According to early solicits, that Omega-like robot was probably supposed to be Theta. But for some reason (something to do with Theta being mentioned in the 'Mobius: X Years Later' stories, I think?) they changed it to be E-106 Eta instead.

Kind of a shame to see that Eta's seemingly just a copy of Alpha/ZERO now...

8 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

Kind of a shame to see that Eta's seemingly just a copy of Alpha/ZERO now...

It is also possible that someone might have made a mistake.